Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

If it is some kind of ALIENS! thing then it's really funny to me that rather than formally contact us or do things, they mostly just buzz around loving with us like we're monkeys in a zoo. Or maybe they're just on safari to our hosed up hell planet that we're creating and why would you talk to the insane monkeys down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It seems like watching military airplanes out over an ocean is the most boring poo poo you could do on another planet, unless you like freaking them out by flying around in front of them, but even then there have to be better pranks you could do.

Maybe their equivalent of driving around hitting mailboxes with a baseball bat is grabbing some crank in the middle of nowhere and doing butt stuff to him for a bit before putting him back.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

At this point it's like, what is easier to believe; that the US government has access to secret tactile holographic technology, that these are extremely hyperspecific atmospheric events that are very rare to trigger, or that there are just aliens?

It's like the aliens are the simplest explanation compared to some of the poo poo I'm seeing floated as "a possible real cause"

doing stuff like leaking phone recordings of a loving radar screen or posting public patents for future tech UFO navy ships without hitting the little “uhh this is secret do not post publicly” box is absolutely performative for the public and/or some adversary. There is a degree of manipulation of public perception with this stuff, to currently unknown ends.

I hope it’s aliens or something cool but will be extremely unsurprised if the end result of the recent UFO media blitz is “lol we don’t know” or some other stupid poo poo.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Egg Moron posted:

it's cool though because these are the kinds of paragraphs you want to see in this, the futuristic year of 2021

"Indeed, by eliminating unlikely explanations for these mysterious phenomena, two mind-boggling explanations are increasingly plausible. Either theory – a remarkable technological leap by a foreign government or “non-human technology” at work – would have profound global implications. "

heartwarming

If the Chinese made magic EM drives or some other reactionless drive system that would be an amazing outcome , almost as cool as aliens, because of the implications that would have for mankind being trapped on this dirt ball until we choke ourselves out with GHG

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

We will receive the report at the last possible minute of the stated deadline at the earliest

It will probably be a dry nothing with not much of value too lol

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wheeee posted:

July 18 2021 0943: a paper mathematically proving workable warp drive is uploaded to the internet

July 18 2021 0952: having technically met the legal requirements for contact the galactic federation simultaneously appears above every city on earth and advises us that we are now citizens, then begins on the long list of obligations we must now meet, finishing by letting us know they'll be back to pick up our taxes every year moving forward before disappearing as suddenly as they appeared

If they're space liberals I say we let the chuds nuke them and go all in with space force

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

D-Pad posted:

One of the comments in the reddit thread is how to do that. He says it's compelling but I'm not taking the time.

This is super interesting and I hope they point James Webb at it immediately.

they plotted them in the linked paper (inexact without more points of reference) but the stars are roughly contained within a 500pc volume of space and are all G and F class which is interesting to say the least! Webb is booked for a long time if it gets into orbit successfully, but researchers have not stopped trying to figure this out.

Considering they looked a large amount of sky data, having a concentration like that without it impacting any other non G or F stars between the affected stars from our point of reference seems incredibly unlikely. Also seems to rule out weird dust floating around between us and the stars in question messing up the view. Assuming they aren’t just misinterpreting data, I can’t think of and have not seen any explanation for “there’s a bunch of F and G class stars with odd dimming characteristics in a specific volume of space” beyond “ET is mining rocks/building dyson swarms/some other kind of big space tech thing”

edit: if this data is right I think it handily disproves the crumbling exoplanet theory. If that were so, why is this only happening in one small area of the sky around specific kinds of stars?

Also you have to remember there is a still a lot of woo woo stigma about ET and no one wants to be relegated to that section and be tarred with the quack brush. Every other alternate explanation will need to be exhausted first and they will keep looking for other data, which is good science anyways before you start going for fantastic explanations.

Nuclearmonkee has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Dec 21, 2021

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

what happened to the cube they found?

https://www.businessinsider.com/moon-cube-discovered-by-chinese-rover-is-just-a-rock-2022-1

It was a trick of light and shadow on a neat rock. I wonder if these weird ball bearing looking things are some kind of odd tektite that ends up this big because it's the moon yo it's different there

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

endocriminologist posted:

that space ship has a ball sack

at last, the mystery is solved

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

It was posted itt but beyond that I can't help ya

Energy = electricity but unfortunately fossil fuels do a bunch of stuff you can't do with electricity like the haber Bosch process. Clean unlimited fusion for everyone tomorrow would change things but not fix them, billions of people would still be guaranteed to die unless there's some way to turn electricity into fertilizer.

There are electrochemical processes to produce ammonia that require a lot of energy. Haber Bosch is just the quick and dirty way.

Fossil fuels and their byproducts are indeed integrated into a huge amount things we make in the economy though. Plastic is everywhere.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

sharknado slashfic posted:

Someone a lot smarter then me will have to confirm it but apparently we made wormholes or something

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05424-3

A holographic representation of wormhole physics within a quantum computer. it’s cool and is the first experimental evidence establishing quantum tunneling and wormholes as a physical duality.

So kind of? Pretty exciting if we can go further down this path of using quantum computers to study quantum behavior and maybe figure out a theory of quantum gravity.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

the more I read about quantum behavior the less I think I could ever possibly understand it

except in a metaphorical sense where it seems like the universe was coded by loving bethesda under a time crunch

You could probably if you put your mind to it. It’s just deeply non-intuitive and a lot of the bleeding edge stuff is very up it’s own rear end in a top hat with math.

That’s part of why the holographic wormhole thing is very cool. To even get to the holographic principle you have to go down a very deep mathematical rabbit hole and when you get experimental results that says it’s maybe real that’s pretty big. Most of this stuff is incredibly difficult to realize or verify with experiments. You can’t go stick a probe at a black hole event horizon or make a camera that can see poo poo down at Planck scales so instead you have to figure out weird poo poo like this experiment.

Like part of the weight behind string theory is simply finding math that solves cleanly and has pretty symmetry, instead of ending in naked singularities at extreme conditions.

Nuclearmonkee has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Dec 17, 2022

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

They'd have to figure out a way to scale the thing and shape the enormous amount of negative energy required for a theoretical warp bubble. However, being able to manipulate small amounts of it in a laboratory setting would be extremely useful for experimental purposes.

Not clear exactly how scalable or practically useful such a thing would be, but it's neat.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Why would china need a balloon to look at stuff? Is this just more racism? They have satellites you know

Balloon is funnier. If it's actually a Chinese spy balloon that we can't stop it just makes the US military look enormously incompetent. Of course they could use a satellite, but flexing with a balloon is better.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I assume it was some kind of balloon or blimp or something. Otherwise, RIP to Radar.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

pretty funny if all of this ends up being hysteria caused by a weather balloon from China forcing NORAD to turn off the "ignore everything" setting and now we're shooting sidewinders at sky trash.

Hopefully it's Radar loving with us to pirate stream the NFL game but it's probably just America being extremely loving stupid.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Space Jam posted:

a gang tag with an f-22 flying by an exploding cylindrical uap or something would be cool. dunno what the text would be. airspace violators?

F35 getting lost in the dark imo with the UAP right next to it

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I thought they shot down a car sized object over ice in Alaska. you can’t tell me that they can’t find anything if they actually shot it down.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

unless the balloon was your typical Weather Balloon White

if the enormously bloated United States military can’t figure out how to find some thing they shot down with all of the satellites, aircraft and personnel at its disposal immediately adjacent to a secure base, just lol, lmao

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

lol BITCH they cant find sky trash at night with an f-22

tangled conglomerations of tarps and plastic bags are winning the war for US airspace.

if it really is sky trash and we shot a loving sidewinder at it over domestic air space that’s almost as good as it being Radar trying to pirate stream the Super Bowl.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Tekne posted:

these motherfuckers killed a triangle

the shapes do not forgive and they do not forget

This looks like a contrail in sunset.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

That one seems likely based on the description. I wanna know what they shot down near Deadhorse. Cylindrical silvery object that "interfered with sensors" sounds very tic tac.

It's also still fuckin insane to me that the first time NORAD ever got involved in shooting poo poo down we just start blasting unidentified objects. Just what the gently caress.

Nuclearmonkee has issued a correction as of 00:37 on Feb 18, 2023

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

There's still Alaska

Surely we'll not go 0/3 in recovering things that are vitally important to shoot down right that minute with no additional information

I don’t buy this at all.

They recovered whatever they wanted to recover and stopped looking after a couple days. Theres people up there who were taking first hand accounts and watching flight activity out to the sea ice and posting it on TikTok/YouTube. Not a lot going on around Deadhorse and the supposed shoot down was close to the coast so it’s hard to confuse the activity with anything else.

https://youtu.be/4AagT0njzeU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

If everybody is flying around with flight plans and transponders I'm not terribly worried.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

how the gently caress would Jimmy Church get the drop on that

he wouldnt

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Just a Moron posted:

JWST can probably detect signs of life sure, but specifically intelligent life? Lmao no.

An unmistakable techno signature could be used to infer "intelligent" life. Or at least some kind of technological thing or another.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

we don’t know how any of this works lol

https://youtu.be/-8CIUzPkigQ

https://arxiv.org/abs/2302.07878

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

PBS spacetime seems to think that neither space nor time are intrinsically meaningful, could be merely interpretations of an undetermined n-dimensional reality & animal brains landed on this 3x1 system of perception as an evolutionary "eh good enough" hack job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV9MnAZLmMQ

If you go down the rabbit hole to see where the holographic principle comes from and start to grasp the very neat mathematical solution from string theory via Maldacena it makes it very difficult to think our perception of spacetime is even close to a representation of fundamental reality.

I had the same experience when the math of special relativity clicked too. When your examples involve removing degrees of freedom and time/space start flipping axes it’s just :psyduck:

From my limited capacity to understand all this poo poo I would just describe all of our reality as emerging from incredibly complex celestial music, maybe?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Rickshaw posted:

(I've been told this in conversations / debates) that we aren't allowed to ask questions like where it all came from, why it all exists, why SO(3)xSU(2)xU(1) and not some other group, because that can't be answered empirically and physical empiricism is the only allowed epistemology.

This line of reasoning drives me nuts when I’m trying to learn this poo poo and things are just dismissed out of hand and then I only get far enough to question the dismissal much later.

my best example was learning Feynman diagrams and then understanding only later “hey wait a minute all this only works if you reverse arrows of time over here but then we also say that’s impossible”

have to erase preconceived notions and simply follow where observation, math, and intuition lead. We already know we don’t understand how it works and some people seem extremely threatened at the prospect of just accepting much of what we think we know can easily be wrong or misleading.

Nuclearmonkee has issued a correction as of 04:22 on Mar 16, 2023

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

it seems reasonable enough to assume you can analogize time into a film strip, one frame after another spooling out at the speed things are moving in time. But 2d time probably wouldn't be a grid of timelines all in a row, and it maybe wouldn't be an arc of timelines progressing across a 2d surface either. Because those two things are the same thing i think, just rearranged.

You can try to traverse "outside" of time by scrolling back and forth remembering it or looking at the film strip or w/e.

you'd really have to sit and figure out how the gently caress cause and effect works in 2d time. Even if you're gonna be like "alright here's a fuckin emerald tablet that is inscribed with all events in all locations of time and space," having two times is wildly different than 1. Simplify it down and you can have a film strip of 60 seconds worth of the first cartoon walking down the street or w/e, the most stunning 1900s era poo poo ever perceived, and that makes enough sense, this happened and then this happened and then this happened.

But then do this with two directions of causation, traverse that.

Also the film strip feeds out differently dependent upon conditions for every observer and if you go too fast it stops. Also quantum interactions show non locality ie they do stuff outside of time.

Antimatter also looks exactly like normal matter with reversed properties including their time axis, and the math involving them requires this for any of the models we’ve come up with to work.

Time is weird.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Psycho Society posted:

does that mean antimatter colliding with matter is actually creating it in another universe... whoa :2bong:

CPT-symmetric universe theory

https://physicsworld.com/a/our-universe-has-antimatter-partner-on-the-other-side-of-the-big-bang-say-physicists/

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

These other models are poo poo because they have to come up with some particle to make it work whereas my theory

Oh wait

We might have accidentally detected some right handed neutrinos going backwards with a balloon/ORB in Antarctica (ANITA). Follow up experiments with the IceCube detector https://icecube.wisc.edu/news/research/2020/01/icecube-rules-out-last-standard-model-explanation-of-anita-anomalous-neutrino-events/ eliminated easy possibilities that made the observation fit with the standard model. Its very hard to detect something that only interacts with gravity or a near massless object traveling along a time reversed axis but the theory is looking pretty good so far. There’s experiments moving forward to figure out if the universe is indeed that weird and laughs at our meat brain perception of time.

Copenhagen interpretation and the standard model can eat a dick. The orbs will light the way.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

E Depois do Adeus posted:

IMO that there are two separate psyops here working independently. One is to establish the presence of aliens as potential saviors for a subset of people who otherwise might do certain things in the face of existential catastrophic risk. The other, dumber, one, is to obscure the presence of aliens among states' actual power bases for various reasons of legitimacy and avoiding disruptions. Whoops lol we let a military 15 centuries ahead of ours establish a few undersea bases and they want nothing to do with us because we're savages who nuke each other and torture animals for sustenance, now get back to pretending to work while you pick out cheap poo poo on wish.com

Hope they like old car batteries and sea cans filled with trash raining on their bases forever.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DrHub posted:

Soooooo, my girlfriend works at a gold mine in Rankin Inlet, Nunavut, Canada. Yesterday workers in the camp called on the radio about strange light right above them. One of them was able to take a pic before it disappeared. My girlfriend saw it along with around 10 other workers. One of them was in the RCAF for a while and said he has never seen anything like it. It seems nobody had time to take a video of it sadly.

I cannot confirm the last part right now but apparently, a little bit later, the Canadian army showed up at the only town around, it's 2 hours away by car.

Pic from one of the workers.
https://imgur.com/a/yv2VE6h

It could have been military related, but standard aircraft navigation lights will always include red on the left wing and green on the right strobing at ~90 per minute. If they didn't have any of the colored anti-collision lights then it's not following FAA/TCCA standards and is an odd one.

Fun!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Tighclops posted:

if we all concentrate really hard can we will a better world into reality or does everybody have to still go to work

it’s the second one :(

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

This video is from 2013, interesting how little attention it's gotten until recently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/12u31nk/congresswoman_darlene_hooley_why_are_ufos/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0EKqL1l96s

Also hearty lol at confirmation of Space Force at least 4 years prior to Tlonp announcing it.

First contact ends up just being Radar trying to take our dangerous toys away before we kill ourselves, and we respond by trying to kill them and steal their poo poo.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

Some of those are meteorites but I don't get what the smushy looking plastic stuff is

It's some kind of tubing.

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/296642365?utm_campaign=newrecords-may2023&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&objectPage=8

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sleekly posted:

i hope this is good, my money is on black holes explaining everything in the end

i love them so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXbtNzCz26I

i think this was prompted by the hubble finding this that looks like a black hole that was kicked from a merge event and is leaving so much rich stuff, i guess from its former accretion disk, that it is leaving a rich star-field behind it
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2023/hubble-sees-possible-runaway-black-hole-creating-a-trail-of-stars

it may not be that at all of course, who knows but they fuckin rock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLiGHxnz86I&t=164s

edit: it didnt suck but it quickly veered from black holes into telescopes and photography of dragonflies

They assuredly will be tightly coupled to helping us figuring it out, assuming we ever do. It is impossible for us (and likely kind of silly) to simply build bigger and bigger accelerators to slam poo poo together at higher energy levels. Even if you build one big enough at high enough energy levels to replicate energy levels at the big bang all you do is make a black hole. All of the answers are around them and what they do.

I’m hopeful we’ll get it someday. Physics spent a long rear end time up it’s own rear end in a top hat with supersymmetry and assumptions based on previous knowledge squashing lines of inquiry. Flawed Interpretations of quantum mechanics, perceptions of gravity and spacetime itself get in the way.

Now though you see more and more folks that just accept what the data seems to be saying. Spacetime as we perceive it at a human scale is most assuredly not fundamental. Quantum interactions may not be fundamental. There are threads around the edges being pulled on to get the mathematical relationships unwound. If some of the things around the edge like AdS/CFT correspondence is correct, we will get closer to figuring things like gravity out by just looking closely at a quantum computing system that may be fundamentally acting as an analogue to a black hole hologram.

Radars people, assuming they exist, probably figured this stuff out and are just laughing at the insane monkeys strapping themselves to chemical explosives to move around on Earth and into the atmosphere instead of making a machine that falls in the direction you want it to go.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

imagine the power of black hole computing

we might finally be able to predict the 55-65 turnout of voters in phoenix

Somehow this super accurate computer built by Google for the US government is saying that 185% of voters will turn out and go 60-40 for Trump! Oh well, we know it’s correct to 6 sigmas. Congratulations Mr President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sleekly posted:

this will sound very silly

i am wondering about the question of dark matter but viewed through people who may wonder about such a thing pre-quantum thinking. weird talented people like Da Vinci, Newton, Einstein etc and scientists ignored, various sci fi dudes etc or people who met the inquisition, alchemists or loving Merlin, Crowley and John Dee lol and if there are clues there to quantifying it a bit better. people who really really got into the concept of an invisible unstoppable force with no name. not rot, not evil, not religious at all, not just time but a thing controlling the whole of everything thats in everything

Dark Matter will probably end up either being some weird thing that’s very hard to see or interact with in any way except gravitationally or some fundamental misunderstanding on our part of what gravity even is.

Dark Energy on the other hand is the part that makes you have to scratch your head and go “yeah let’s just call it quintessence maybe kind of like that magic 5th element of antiquity. It fills everything and we’ve proven you can just pull stuff out of nothing.”

EDIT: Since I'm a giant fuckin nerd I actually have written part of a book that has a major premise which is basically "Magic is real and the elements of magic are electromagnetism, the weak force (radioactive decay), the strong force (what holds atoms and such together), and gravity. Wizards are people who can use "magic" which is just the ability to manipulate quintessence or the originating force of creation/destruction that gives rise to all the rest."

ETs are space wizards.

Nuclearmonkee has issued a correction as of 16:35 on May 19, 2023