Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ive never played an smt game before (~30 min of 4), started SMT1 snes last night and im hooked. i have no idea what's going on most of the time but its fun to shred demons with a machine gun.

I fused demons into a unicorn and an angel and they seem to be doing a lot of damage. do demons get more intimidated by you as you level? that seems to be my experience but idk if its real. i like how if you have a demon of a certain type with you a lot of times the other demons are like "take care of my friend!" and give you money or magnetite lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the american ambassador revealed that he's thor, and he's nuking tokyo

holy poo poo lmfao

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

should I be going law or chaos or neutral in smt 1 / 2 / 3 (eventually when i get there)

someone told me "go neutral for the canon ending" which spoiled me on that but refusing to pick a side seems like minmax bullshit. i'm pretty far into smt1 and might just ride out neutral for the reason above but for 2 i'm thinking law, based on what i see in 1

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SMT2 is a lot different from SMT1 already, it's a lot more story driven lol. The demon dialogue is a lot more in depth which is great, these demons all feel unique now.

Is the "correct" dialogue consistent within a demon type? Like a pixie will always be more conducive to friendly vs threatening.

Is it based on law vs chaos vs neutral alignment of the demon? Does int help negotiating? Does more str make you more threatening?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

b_d posted:

posted by request

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i was running around a basement early in SMT2 and i found alice????

she dropped some staff that gives like +255 attack lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Starting the series with 3 was cool because in 3 Mothman and Hell Biker are the only odd ones out and everyone else is 1,000+ year old mythic and folkloric figures. And then you get to 4 and it’s like, Joan of Arc is a demon, a guy in the yakuza is a demon. This demon is a chemtrail. The Mad Gasser of Mattoon is a demon.

quote:

Christine is a horror novel by Stephen King, published in 1983. It tells the story of an antique automobile apparently possessed by supernatural forces.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i just realized the "tokyo destiny land" in SMT1 is supposed to be Tokyo Disneyland lol

the SNES version even has unused sprites

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Gonna start this tonight... got a three day weekend starting tomorrow

longest lunar eclipse in 500 years starts tomorrow :cheers: auspicious gaming

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

how is hard mode for smt3? is it fun hard or frustrating hard

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

John Romero posted:

where’s the best place to play smt 1

snes SMT1 with aeon genesis translation + orden patch + automap patch (optional)

the gba version has a better world map and gameplay but worse music. if i were to play it again i would probably go gba

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

smt3 is such a step up from smt2 its insane. i'm in ginza and i just want to spend hours grinding and fusing demons. i love the ginza theme so much, even if it isn't as good as the snes version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoSa0Ut9GPg

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

white rider is kicking my rear end

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lmao the very first part of smt iv is the most brutal in all of them that I've played. Oh you failed negotiation? Die.

They can also ask you to kill your own demons which makes them leaving even funnier

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s so bizarre, the very very beginning is the hardest part by far and then once you make it out of Naraku the game suddenly becomes much easier and never really gets back up to that level of difficulty.

All I know is theres a minotaur early on that supposedly demolishes people and after that it's all easy. When I saw you could save anywhere I didnt expect any challenge but I'm not sure how the early game would be possible without it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The npc I cant control used a fire spell on minotaur and gave him smirk, then he crit chained me to death. I'm 50/50 lmaoing / wanting to snap my ds in half. I love smt

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

encountered david in smt4. this guy doesn't gently caress around lol. much worse version of the fiend theme vs 3

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I just got to ueno in 4 and I went from getting owned by medusa (until I brought a lot of zan users) to getting my party swept by random encounter oni using critical wave lol.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

holy poo poo i fusion errored joan of arc in 4. she seems extremely badass.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Has anyone been using the Fiends much? I ignored them mostly since Dqisoujou was a bit disappointing (though I hadn't realised just how good status effects are in this one) but just fused the last couple of Riders and they seem to kick arse. Black Rider has +5 Almighty and an all-target severe almighty attack that inflicts I think Seal. I fused him into Pale who mostly seems to revolve around poison which is a bit less exciting, might have been a waste of money lol

meditation is extremely good. daisoujou is a beast

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

got neutral path in smt4 without a guide :dukedog:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

strange journey is so good. there are a lot of cool features i wish other games had (unlock guaranteed fusion accidents, toggle fiend fusions, easier ways of giving demons more spells on fusions).

the rare monster system creates some smt2 level fiend terror. you can see their icons on the minimap and its like a 6% chance to be a fiend. most of the time its just free xp, but that 6% gets your blood pumping. black rider almost killed every one of my demons lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the megami tensei 2 jack frost owns

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

On the final boss of strange journey and its kicking my rear end. I went and got every horsemen and made a giga mother harlot, and it still kicked my rear end. It randomly ejects demons and had a shifting immunity and I cant tell what it is ever

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

devil survivor is really fun. wendigo is kicking my rear end. this feels like twewy / ffta crossover

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You fight him then. I'm upset.

I do like that after the way SMT bosses often punish you for having certain repels/nulls/etc having at the very least resist phys on everyone is an absolute necessity in this fight otherwise he gets a one hit crit on anyone you swap in lmao. I suspect that if you got repel/drain/null phys on your whole party you could really cheese the fight but I feel like that would take insane grinding and/or NG+

does it not do the smt4 thing where having phys repel on everything means they spam almighty until you're dead

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

devil survivor is one of the best tactics games ive ever played.

you only have four units, made up of a human + two demons. each tactics encounter is a round of attacks + press turns. the abilities are the usual smt plus each family of demons has unique movement abilities (ignore terrain/teleport/double movement). the story is 'the world ends with you' in pre-nuke smt1 world, and the branching paths and alignments are well done.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

smt4a, playing on war, dragging myself underleveled through bosses and clearing them with one guy remaining ftw. the accuracy penalty on hard feels crippling

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

lmao the final smt4a dlc is the most fanservicey poo poo ive ever played and i kind of love it

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hydra kicking my rear end (good)
When you chop off hydras heads will he always respond by spamming frenzy? I'm on hard so that basically wipes my party. I'm thinking I save my guaranteed critical skill for 40% health then attempt to wipe him out in a turn.

Are debuffs worth it at this point?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

my OP combination was putting Taunt on Rangda, that was too good

I found a lot of those "Healing plus Luster Candy" combos were crazy good, I basically went straight from Idun to Tao

rangda is one of my favorite demons. its easily accessed phys null saved my rear end so many times in devil survivor. similar to that strategy you can give your demons the ability to shield you from lethal damage, and on rangda its so nice lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

just beat shiva on hard. what a fight. constantly on my back foot but yoshitsune and idun pulled through. the revolving door of 4th chair went from odin to amon to cleopatra.

i'm not sure demifiend will be doable until ng+ though lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

In Training posted:

only place to go from here is up, looking forward to playing MegaTen II next. hoping the couple of years between 1 and 2 plus being a NES game from the beginning of development makes for a better experience.

megami tensei 2 is so much better than 1. the kyuuyaku remake of 2 is even better.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/PatsArt4/status/1485713640846073857

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

In Training posted:

edit: i figured it out. drat this game has a overworld, i wasnt expecting that. this kicks rear end.
Yea mt2 they finally ditched the book plot and figured out they can do it better. Smt1 is really similar to mt2, if you're liking it you're gonna love smt1.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://soul-hackers.jp/

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

gently caress yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

yeah, that's mostly what I'm happy about

but this game looks like a fan project made by people who have only played P5 lol

its made by the people who did tokyo mirage sessions lol