Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Ceasar of the Dignita Augustae Americum surely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

This idea is a classical case of intellectually kind of interesting, godawful to play. It's like when a classical literature proffesor designs a governmental building or Le Corbusier designs a city in India. The goal of the ideas guy is very different from the people who wants it to do something beyond existing.

If you want to have better game dev ideas go make your first game.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

grumble grumble bakunin censored out of history grumble grumble

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I'm looking forward to play Paradox's Metro 2033 on the Vicky3 code base, and Stalker on Empire of Sin's engine

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Making something stable and functional out of the Rhine river valley used to be a fun challenge. Like Poland but worse

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm gonna get an union uniform powwow dance regalia and put it on for the civil war.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Great, now they're dumbing down the cheevos for casuals. -_-

But achievements are for casuals :aaa: People who don't write their own mods are preposterous

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Sending Canucks to civilization schools where they learn to use the imperial system and how milk doesn't belong in bags.

As Colombia, turning the rogue British colonies into a kennel and treating its inhabitants as dogs

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

An achievement for building a car factory and naming it SAAB

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Figures that Glitterhoof is sympathetic to the devs wishes

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

ilitarist posted:

There's a historical immersion in that but it will also mean that you will have no end-game threats unless the system is rigged to affect player more.

You keep saying stuff like this. It's not a narratively structured game ili, it's a sandbox. There shouldn't be any balance here. The game is the experience of building sandcastles in the sandbox and experiencing the ants move

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Achernar posted:

Is there really a lot of jungle in Japan?

Technically there's parts of the US that are jungle. It gets extra interesting when we start talking about warm and cold rainforests as well

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I think they prefer "well read disruptive entrepreneur"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

If Communist Deseret doesn't have an equally funny flag I will be posting some very unhinged screeds itt, fair warning now Wiz and co.

How about you make one? It's a Pdox game and photoshop isn't hard to pick up if you're new

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

I might eat a probe for this but I just thought this was really lazy trolling, the thread mostly did good at not biting it but come on. Put some effort into it. it’s the laziness that bugs me!!!

"How dare you put down Britain this way!1! You lot always try to make it bad 111 The Queen si dead no shame you"

Speaking of Revolutions podcast, anyone who likes Duncan's work will probably also like the newish Empire podcast with Anita Anand & William Dalrymple.
Beyond the history itself, the previous ep. (6) actually spoke on this very problem with the alternative nazis, as they vehemently are not liking history or the rest of us nowadays

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Paradox games are always alt-history anyway, especially when it comes to Sweden.

The most Danish opinion hahaha

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sweden's manpower in EU4 is the most disproportionate by far out of all countries in the game. It literally starts off with 60 times as much manpower relative to its historical population as Korea.

Because it's not a sim and its the best Pdox can do to get their game to consistently reproduce the historic outcome without direct player control, to satisfy the player base yelling about "realism". I fully agree with you on that everything about the historical Swedish empire, was improbable, against the odds, inhumane, sacrificial, and time and time again a stupid, irresponsible, gamble at the total mercy of luck.

Any accurate analytical simulation of nation state level warfare in the timeperiod would need several orders of magnitude more interacting factors, a great many factors which could not, and can not, be justifiably quantified and even less now so far removed.
Paradox makes games

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The Swedish empire was jingoistic. It was aggressive. It was colonial. It was self obsessed. It was evil. It started wars and sacrificed people everywhere in the name of moving land borders under the rule of Swedish despots. It did it against god, justice, statistical probability, and common sense for 200 odd years, and it eventually lost it all. There was nothing to make the rivers of blood worth it. This is what the Swedish empire amounted to. The strangeness is, it did do it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

sweden was never a great power and was a dumb country that sucked, on top of being evil. i think talking about them as beating the odds is some silly nonsense lol

Maybe you're right. What do you call it?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Sw*den should atone for their sins by.not taking half the year off in vacations. It's not fair to gamers.

Request like these is how you get more swedish sins

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

As a boring person, my first game will be the USA. Sink or swim time, starting small and manageable is for suckers!

What do you mean, how could you possibly not succeed as a big country. Large countries are the easiest with the isolated US being the least risk/most resources of all!
Small countries would only be easy in that nothing you do changes much, and you don't have much resources to fail at changing it with either. (At least in vicky 1+2)

Industrial powerhouse Colombia is the only admirable endeavour, bah!

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 16, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Apparently the content creators were specifically told to do weird meme stuff which is... very strange and presumably some marketing guy's decision

"The core audience will buy the game anyway. I want sales from the meme-nazis who don't like our games too!"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I want to see a Kaiserreich timeline-expansion mod that lets you play the divergences which would lead to the KR timeline by 1936. That would be pretty neat.

Aw gosh guys I am so excited for this!! :kimchi:

Yes. This is good.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

i have yet to calibrate an opinion on vicky 3 but comparing it to vicky 2 and saying "well it's not worse" is nonsense imo. a basic expectation SHOULD be that a sequel is better.

How many movies have you watched

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Anno posted:

Game looks very good and fun. Can’t wait to start gardening tomorrow.

Congrats Wiz, Ofaloaf and any devs that browse/post here. Seems like you made a really cool game.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Fuligin posted:

best base game release since CK2 imo

Agreed. More content expansions and refining the design is all I want, and that's not something I'm used to

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Pshaw, typical vanguardists

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

...I ment liberty and equality for me! Not for you

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5NO7Sn6JSk&t=515s

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

ilitarist posted:

Are we debugging Victoria 3 code through post messages now?

I imagine Victoria 3 logic is very complex but I have to say it's a little worrying that this game's requirements are so much higher than other current Paradox games. Soon AI will get new toys in the expansion, there will be new mechanics, will the system be able to handle it?

The code logic problem is way less confusing than you imagine, it's middle(?) school math. Every good, is a factor. One of the things the ai needs to do is run its calculatations for each one. Most of these interact with eachother and other systems.
That means, in processor cycles, one new good isn't x{algorithm} +1{algorithm}. It's {algorithm}x+1. 102 vs. 103.
Code is fine, it's designing away issues of the amount of work the 'puter needs to do, that makes adding new mechanics doable.

All the goods and their dynamic demand is way more process power hungry than any other part of the game, and not adding to that specific domain is what the conversation is about

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 23, 2024

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

bc the ai don't have an inverse desire weighting multiplier for regions n regions away from their own, nor one for bordering n owned incorporated regions. Shits equally lootable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

Thanks for those effort posts, I‘ll start a new game tonight to see if I can actually apply this without crashing my economy because I can‘t get more coal/iron anywhere.
Maybe try Japan, they should have more than enough resources.

If you're doing experiments to learn you really aught to play either of the cheat countries, Britain or the USA. Impossible to lose in those and oceans of margins to try something different to recover from an experiment