Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Waiting for the potato cake/scallop wars to commence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Aardvark! posted:

Can I get some more uniquely Aussie foods for my files please? Or are you all a bunch of gronk cunts?

Sausage rolls and lamingtons. Pavlova.

Sausage rolls and pavlova are imports but we've made them our own.

Hamburger with the lot (yes, egg, beetroot and pineapple do belong on burgers).

Chiko rolls (these are disgusting).

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Bertie Beetles and Violet Crumbles.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Code Jockey posted:

I have made it my life's mission to find one as good as the ones I had in Sydney Harbor during my trip. Those may not even be the best you've got to offer, but drat was that a good meat pie. :smith:

Meat pies are dead easy to make.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Years ago you helped me figure out a good sausage roll recipe to make at home. I still make them often; they're my favorite easy lunch to bring on a fishing trip. :)
:stare: Go on ...

Good quality butcher's mince is the key to getting a rich, meaty flavour. When it's brown add finely chopped onions and herbs. Mixed herbs are fine or you can add your favourite herbs, but thyme is essential as is plenty of black pepper.

Don't add any liquid until the onion is soft. You can add either stock or shepherd's pie mix, but you only want about a cup of fluid. I add a couple of teaspoons is steak sauce at this stage but you can use tomato sauce or Worcestershire sauce.

Simmer it for about 30 minutes, making sure you break up any clumps of meat. There shouldn't be much liquid left. Add a little flour or gravy mix to thicken it.

Use homemade shortcrust pastry for the base and blind bake it. Frozen shortcrust is tough and disgusting. Frozen puff is OK for the top.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StcXGhuliRk

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Bill Posters posted:

One of my racist uncle's favourites was "My boomerang won't come back", which to be fair was written by a pom. I could link it here because it's very relevant but I won't.

That and Tie Me Kangaroo Down (the full version, including that verse) used to get played on the radio heaps when I was a kid.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

huh posted:

Yes please I love this.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Inceltown posted:

How has no one mentioned Chopper yet for Aussie movies?

I'm taking away all your vegemite and democracy sausages.

Despite Eric Bana's outstanding performance, it wasn't a very good movie.

The Sum of Us is worth a watch.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Those videos I posted earlier had footage of it. It turns out they dismantled it in 2003 and shipped it off to Indonesia where it's apparently still operating.
https://rcdb.com/1248.htm

I went to school with a guy who now paints amusement rides. He quite often pops over to Indonesia to work there (or at least he did pre-covid).

Lolie fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 7, 2021

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

BrigadierSensible posted:

But I do agree with you, as an adult, I dunno if I could stand a day at the show, with the crowds, and lugging about multiple heavy showbags with crying whingy kids in tow. But as a little kid, it was ace.

You don't even have to set foot in the show these days. You can order them online.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

That seems to be a standard in rough clubs all over Melbourne, I was catching a tram along Sydney Rd Brunswick one night and I noticed that at one of the bars the bouncers had a little portable booth with a camera to scan faces & ID cards, they had it set up out on the curb where the line to get in started

Common in western Sydney. They throw in a bag search for free.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You say that like it's not the rich fuckers getting completely fuckeyed in public.

Nothing will ever beat Gina Rinehart's fall at the 2016 Melbourne Cup.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Are these things afraid of people? They look loving terrifying.

They'll often go from one house to another in areas like that. If the development wasn't too rapid, they get used to people being around and tend not to spook easily. They can be fairly friendly as long as they're in control of the distance between you and them.

They can absolutely do you serious damage if they're pissed off, though.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Oh you think this is only going to last a fortnight? The heal;th minister said the aim was to get cases back to zero, they ain't going from 29/30 cases a day to zero in just 14 days.

It's going to be fun when the school holidays end. Everyone hated online learning during the first lockdown.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
If we'd shut down a week earlier, there may have been a chance of a two week lockdown being enough, but Gladys, Hunt and Chance have huffed too much gold standard.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's almost like Sky News has a conservative political bent or something.

Yeaaah, those are the known cases. It doesn't account for fuckwits who won't get tested for what's clearly the sniffles, asymptomatic cases, or ones that just plain haven't popped symptoms yet. Your only real clear metric is about two weeks after a solid lockdown when you might have actually stopped it getting around. And even then it's maybe another two weeks while it goes through the families and housemates of those who've got covid.

The reports I saw this morning were asking people to be honest with contact tracers even if they'd breached the lockdown rules. Also reiterated that people need to stop visiting one another.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

huh posted:

Also, I've eaten there a couple of times and don't really remember much about the food.

Food is very average and overpriced.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Inceltown posted:

Hogs Breath is Outback Steakhouse for Australia.

We have Outback Steakhouse as well.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

~Coxy posted:

Hogs Breath is way worse than Outback Steakhouse.

I'm still sooking about the demise of Sizzler.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
You can buy frozen curly fries.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Inceltown posted:

Ahh but Murdoch is Australian poo poo. Seppo culture is Murdoch culture. Therefore Seppo culture is actually Aussie culture.

Nah, Murdoch surrendered his Australian citizenship and became a US citizen in 1985 in order to expand his US media empire.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ili posted:

Tradies can be wankers, office snobs can be wankers, basically every oval office can be a fucken wanker ay.

Truth.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
While tradies might seem to get paid a lot here, their working life is often shortened by work related health issues.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

gently caress off, we're plagued.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Funnier if you know exactly who Peter Doherty is.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-07-13/peter-doherty-cracking-covid-documentary/100287702

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
John Williamson and Lee Kernaghan both fit the folksy/country niche.

James Blundell, too.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

d0s posted:

forgive me for being a seppo but is that real? in florida you can do the same thing with places that have "negro" in the name except the word used wasn't originally "negro", and there's like 20 of them

It's real.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Australians were particularly racist towards Chinese immigrants for the longest time, and given the general level of racism here that's saying something.

Back in the early days of the Australian gold rush the government was passing specifically anti-Chinese legislation (such as the 1888 Chinese Restriction and Regulation Act) and there were so many anti-Chinese riots on the goldfields they actually had to appoint a special police commissioner in Victoria to oversee the issue. The Eureka Rebellion famously included a whole lot of immigrants among the rebels (the 13 ring leaders who were brought to trial included a Scottish Jew, a Jamaican and an African American) and pretty much the only group the rebels didn't include were the local Chinese miners because they hated them so much. The Eureka! stage musical weirdly attempted to whitewash the rebellion by including a scene where an Irish rebel realised at the last minute that a Chinese miner is his friend and ally.

Dan Andrews actually gave an official state apology to our Chinese community in 2017 for all the racism during the gold rush era: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-25/victoria-apologises-to-chinese-for-racism-during-gold-rush-era/8558998

My grandfather's family grew up around Lambing Flat - now Young - in NSW. What is now known as Chinaman's Dam had a more pejorative name when my dad was growing up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambing_Flat_riots

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

That guy is so gone. All the media outlets are using that image.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Yothu Yindi

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

BrigadierSensible posted:

If we are doing Australian more popular overseas than in Australia, the Keith Urban would surely be the gold standard.

I seriously never heard of him until he married Nicole Kidman.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

DumbparameciuM posted:

Wondering the same thing about Big Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSJZpiT76kw

I used to have that doona cover.

Big Dog was a Canberra thing when I lived there.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

I'm watching a 9/11 thing on Netflix with my dog.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Oh, didn't know no one else what allowed to use that number ever agin

Whole heap of kids are growing up without any memory of it, which can only be a good thing.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Here, have a Puggle that I spotted yesterday.

You need to install the Echidna CSI app (on Google Play) to record your sightings. If you want to collect poo samples, that's even better.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do you think real estate agents know that everyone hates them?

I hope so.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Breetai posted:

Have you ever?
Ever felt like this?

I will have that in my head for the rest of the day now, and it's all your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Melbourne's bidding for the 2026 Commonwealth Games, so it's double suck it.