Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I'm going to be honest, I don't think anything that violent is necessary to disperse these chucklefucks. You get somebody throwing water balloons on them, or slashing their tires and they're going to scatter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh is urging for an emergency debate in the House to address the Convoy crisis as well as issues our healthcare system is facing in the wake of the Pandemic.

Singh and The NDP are also advocating a push to crack down on the sale and display of registered hate symbols

I've respected Singh for a good, long while and the fact that he's the party leader most actively pushing back against the Convoy CHUDs really just makes me respect him even more.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Got in an argument with an idiot that supports this. My opening argument was that like 90% of the country supports the mandates and even close to 90% of truckers are vaccinated. The response was "that's bullshit, at least a 3rd of the country supports this" . Citation needed but, "we have almost half as many on our side so we win" is a real cool take.

They're probably referring to a poll released by Abacus Data where a third of respondents said they "Had a lot in common" with the Convoy members' position. Notice there is no mention of support for the Convoy and its actions and even Abacus Data itself notes this in their release.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Yes, absolutely. My personal life has become very busy for the next few days so I won't be able to post much until next week.

This is the paywalled link.
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2022/01/22/do-vaccine-mandates-actually-work

And here are the charts

The first chart shows the estimated difference the vaccine mandates had in different provinces. The increase is a few percent.

I'll try and post more before I leave work.

So, not to be a pedantic rear end in a top hat, but that's not a PRIMARY source as was requested. While this isn't a huge problem as the primary source the article is discussing is linked in the article, when people ask for a primary source they want a link to an academic paper or study. This study also sort of shows some of the flaws in your original argument because it shows how much heavy lifting the term "a few" is doing and the timescale which your data measures: You will notice, in that last chart that you posted that supposedly demonstrates your assessment that mandates only boosted vaccination rates by "a few" percent that this increase took place over a period of only two months and, if my ability to read graphs is up to snuff, the relative difference between vaccination rates with and without mandates in place was continuing to grow by the end of those two months.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

So, just speaking hypothetically, what countries would one want to escape to if they wanted to flee a far-right uprising? I've heard decent things about Norway and New Zealand...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Kale posted:

Elon Musk really really seriously needs to shut the ever loving gently caress up already period. Like what a deeply cynical constantly trolling rear end in a top hat. Ever since Trump got banned from twitter it's always either him or Joe Rogan it seems doing this poo poo constantly.

I mean, this is the same guy who thinks paying other people to invent things makes him a real life Tony Stark, so it shouldn't really be surprising...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

quote:

But it failed to find support during a committee meeting Tuesday evening, with five council members, including Jonker, voting against it.

Uh, I feel like it's kind of a bad idea to let a council member vote on their own integrity investigation? It seems like there might be a bit of a conflict of interest there...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I found the mask uncomfortable when the mandates were first put into place, but I just buckled down and kept wearing it and after a couple weeks I got used to it. I don't even have to wear one that often since I work from home but I can leave the damned thing on for hours at a time.

Honestly I think people would be having less of a problem with them if they just left the damned things on instead of constantly putting them on an off throughout the day. The longer you wear it the more you get acclimated to it.

Also: It looks like that damned convoy nonsense was trending on Twitter again, and I'm kind of amused by supporters calling the thing a "peaceful protest" as a way to deflect from the fact that the convoy's stated goals were actively terrible and, in the worst cases, potentially treasonous? Trying to oust a democratically-elected government is still treason regardless of whether or not you're assaulting people.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I personally am put off by how kid-gloves groups like the conveyers and the q-anon adjacent folk get treated by cops. I'm not sure cops beating them down would be terribly productive (or right,) but I also think cops are probably way too lenient in how they treat them, to the point it is likely emboldening them.

I don't think PT6A or anyone else is advocating for a policy of "cops only beat people I don't like" but "if cops are going to beat people, it'd be nice if they at least doled out the beatings to far right political groups more then never." It's venting of idle frustrations in the face of increasingly hostile and radical movements it feels like we have no realistic solutions to. It's not like we can expect the government to roll out UBI, affordable/free housing, and better and proper access to mental health professionals & treatment.

I also think the more correct response to PT6A's feelings is the response that others have given of "cops won't beat people they sympathize with."

Yeah, exactly. I'm not at all in favor of the police's general tactics against protestors, but people like the convoyers were treated with such kid gloves and gave them so much time to peacefully clear out that when the crackdown eventually came it was just like "Well what did you idiots think was going to happen?".

The police are an alligator in the bathtub of our society: It's a major hazard and we're trying to get rid of it, but saying Bill's an idiot for sticking his hand in its mouth and getting bit doesn't mean I'm pro bathtub alligator...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

eXXon posted:

quote:

Healthcare organizations are trying to drive out inefficiencies across their businesses to increase revenue.

How does someone write a sentence like that and not recognize it's a huge problem?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

So in other, not directly car related news, There's a gigantic funeral procession going through Barrie today for an OPP officer who was killed in the line of duty. I feel at least a little ghoulish saying this, given that the death of a 28 year old man is tragic under any circumstance, but this seems to be a little much? Especially given the fact that a bunch of officers are using this as a springboard to call for harsher legislation relating to bail decisions? It also just feels kind of weird that almost the entire OPP is participating in a funeral procession rather than, you know, doing their jobs?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Honestly I'm just going to echo the sentiment that we can approach a reduction in personal car ownership by changing up how we approach zoning and infrastructure in cities. I think if our population centers weren't so spread out and we did more to integrate our residential and commercial districts it would cut down on a lot of traffic and, by extension, emissions while still making personal car ownership a viable thing.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

Right, so, they're legally allowed to, but they likely won't, or if they do, you'll be paying with their full upcharge margin. Lets say 8 bucks a shot.

A standard shot is 44ml. A 750ml bottle is about 17 shots at that point. $136 a bottle. Same bottle is just under $30 at the LCBO.

So, I can buy during LCBO business hours, or I can ask to buy at a bar/restaurant, which will probably say no for various reasons, including liquor license obligations, but if they do, they're likely to sell it to me at literally four times the cost.

Pvt. Parts posted:

Why wouldn't it? The business owners just don't want any more sales past 9?

How so?

So, I'm just going to state this clearly and upfront, since neither of you guys seem to understand what the actual law is surrounding retail sale of alcohol in Ontario: You can buy liquor from retail locations between the hours of 9:00 AM - 11:00 PM in the province of Ontario. The regulations on this are controlled by the AGCO (The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario). The LCBO (Or Liquor Control Board of Ontario) manages the distribution of alcohol in the province of Ontario. The LCBO has been authorizing private companies like supermarkets to distribute alcohol for 8 years and for almost a century before that has licensed select private enterprises like The Beer Store and select Wine Shops and distilleries to operate. If you got rid of the LCBO and replaced it with only private establishments, those establishments would still only be allowed to sell alcohol between the hours of 9:00 AM - 11:00 PM because the LCBO doesn't control the hours it's legal to sell alcohol at retail locations.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

Ok, so one agency is involved in deciding what and where is distributed. And the other when. Why is this important again? It all needs to go away.

Because one agency (And the one you keep referencing) has absolutely nothing to do with the point you're arguing. Also because the weird bug you have up your butt about not being able to buy beer at 5:00 AM on Christmas morning doesn't have anything to do with privatizing liquor stores: You could change the AGCO's regulations and have the LCBO be the only liquor store in Canada. Your entire argument in favor of privatization doesn't have anything to do with privatization of sales channels.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

Jesus Christ. By your own analysis, the AGCO allows alcohol sales until 11pm, right? LCBO stores routinely close before that, even on weekends and weeknights. So then yes, LCBO have a direct and large say on where, when, and what Ontarians can buy alcohol wise (retail, don't give me that "you can walk into your nearest crowded bar and buy it there!" crap). I don't care about privatization of sales channels specifically, I care about not having to care about this bullshit in general.

KingKalamari posted:

The LCBO has been authorizing private companies like supermarkets to distribute alcohol for 8 years and for almost a century before that has licensed select private enterprises like The Beer Store and select Wine Shops and distilleries to operate.

The Wal Mart down the street from me is open until 11:00 PM and also sells beer. Have you had your reading comprehension assessed recently?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

Good for you, I don't. I don't have one of the handful of stores the gov (whoever it is at the gov) doesn't allow to sell alcohol down the street. I understand you fine.

Okay, going to skip over the fact that you've lost yourself in double-negatives and said the opposite of what you intended - Your personal access to a liquor store that's open later than the LCBO has nothing to do with the LCBO not being a private institution. You keep arguing that the LCBO's hours of operation have a major impact on when Ontarians can buy alcohol, which I have demonstrated is incorrect because there are numerous retail locations in Ontario that still sell alcohol up to 11:00 PM, most notably Wal Mart. If they completely privatized liquor distribution, I doubt they would spontaneously open a 24-hour liquor store within walking distance of you.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

It's probably for the best that he doesn't have this thread to distract him anymore: He's got less than 4 hours left to get to the LCBO before it closes!

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I'm honestly very skeptical this was an act of terrorism at this point, mostly because the act itself seems really poorly thought out? The only people actually killed were the guys driving the car, and from the reports and footage it looks like they didn't bother going for any particularly high profile targets in the area - The actual border checkpoints would have made sense if the drivers were trying to make a statement, but they didn't even seem to be trying to hit those?

My personal guess is that the guys in the car had something volatile and/or illegal in the car with them, got scared, bolted and then lost control of the car trying to GTFO.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

I do. If I have to sit in Pearson waiting for a connection after a redeye it's not appropriate that I can't have a Caesar.

Further, I think hours of service are ridiculous in general because they're all built around a society that works 9-5, and that's no longer the society we live in. You're not saving anyone from alcoholism by making the chap working the graveyard shift plan ahead so he can have a beer getting off shift for his days off.

Actually airports (Or at least airports designated as an Ontario Airport of Entry by the CBSA) are the one exception to the AGCO's alcohol sales hours, provided it's being sold in a "sterile area" beyond passenger screening checkpoints. So if you're at a qualified airport they can serve you whatever they want to at any hour of the day.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Kissinger was still alive? Jesus. I guess it's true what they say: Only the good die young

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Maneck posted:

An early Christmas present has arrived for the Canpol thread:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/stella-luna-to-lay-off-nearly-all-staff-citing-economic-downturn-1.6689069

It's so tough for small businesses these days. Especially the ones whose owners went on Fox news about how unfair it was that people were criticizing them for supporting the convoy. You know, those people from out-of-town who decided to make life miserable for Ottawans to protest a provincial mandate that was no longer in force (and overthrow the government). Why were the people of Ottawa mad at a business supporting those guys? So unfair. https://www.foxnews.com/media/canadian-gelato-shop-owner-breaks-down-after-doxxed-called-terrorist-supporting-truckers

Anyway, it's really tough for small business. They even had to lay off all of their staff. Just before Christmas! Poor business!

Because, small business is local and needs support. Unless that small business might be imagined to be competition with my business, in which case it must be stamped out! https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...to-and-landlord

CTV's story mentions the convoy donation, but skips over the other nonsense these people have pulled. I wasn't much of a fan of their product in the first place, but lots of people were. I've been actively against them since the pandemic. Not even the donation thing, earlier than that. During the lockdowns, there was a proposal to shut down a lane of traffic along Bank street to allow pedestrians more space. This seemed like a no brainer. There hardly any traffic at the time, and allowing people to get around the neighborhood easier was a) practical b) kind and c) would probably have benefitted the businesses because it would have made going out safer during the early, very scary days. But no, can't do that, it might have inconvenienced theoretical car customers by closing a lane of traffic (in the next neighborhood over from where their location actually is).

I was seeing this story trend on Twitter alongside a bunch of dipshits complaining about how unfair it was that that one guy who threatened a police officer at the Eaton center over the weekend wasn't immediately arrested while the people at the Convoy faced actual legal repercussions for participating in a protest that was, in part, calling for the overthrow of a democratically elected government. Especially funny is how they conveniently ignore the part where the Ottawa police sat around and let the Convoy protests continue for weeks despite repeated requests and orders to break them up.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Guys, I've got a question: What the gently caress is up with Can Pol on Twitter? It's always been bad, but I feel like it's now solely the domain of the hardline right 'Trudeau = Super Hitler" convoy crowd.

Like, take a look at this:

https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/1744396114705383815

A completely normal, run-of-the-mill post by Jagmeet Singh trying to hype up the new government dental coverage...And all 500 and some replies are by blue check weirdos parroting the same conservative talking points about "tHe DeFiCiT". And every time I see a Canadian topic in the trending sidebar it's just more of the convoy crowd making noise. Opinion polls show that these guys are nowhere near the majority opinion, yet they're the only ones I ever see being promoted on Twitter. Have all the non-CHUDs just abandoned the platform in light of the enshitification?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

The racist slur formerly known as the n-word

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

You couldn't make Blazing Saddles today...Because Mel Brooks is 97 and absolutely should not be doing multi day shoots out in the middle of the California desert. Seriously, are you trying to kill the man?

Seriously though, I think the other thing this decision addresses that isn't being discussed is how all of the main works taught in high school English classes that deal with themes of racism and slavery were written by white people. I think if this ban forces English classes to teach the works of black authors instead it would definitely be a step in the right direction...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

McGavin posted:

I hope that our next Prime Minister is fabulously gay and that Trump gets elected and they both have to attend state functions where they have to pretend to like each other and that CBC makes a sitcom about it.

Unfortunately I think we're just going to get Poilievre and North America is going to turn into a TTRPG from the early 90s...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

HackensackBackpack posted:

The COVID-19 pandemic can provide interesting insight on what "law and order" means in contemporary conservative thought.

Remember that conservatism is the philosophy that some people are inherently better than others. This is borne out through the application of legal force. Police exist to protect the betters and oppress the lessers. That is the social order. However, when COVID-19 came about, and governments passed laws to protect vulnerable people — particularly the elderly, the immunocompromised, and the poor — it upset the social order.

These were laws. Surely the law-abiding should have obeyed them. But suddenly, the betters were being asked to obey laws that inconvenienced them and were being punished for failing to obey. That is not how it should be.

The Freedom Convoy was the culmination of that national temper tantrum against the upending of the proper social order. The pandemic was the first time in many participants' lives that they'd ever been told by authorities that they were wrong. They couldn't handle it.

Fortunately for them, and unfortunately for the rest of us (and this may be an unpopular opinion), they won. Public health mandates are gone. The virus is still spreading and killing, but we've all just accepted it. No government with memory of this will ever enact public health measures to that scale ever again, lest they awaken similar protestation. Should another deadly virus begin spreading within modern memory, we will just have to let it kill us so as not to upset the social order. After all, isn't is "survival of the fittest"?

I think this touches on one of the major things that makes me so angry at the pushback over vaccine mandates. An interesting phenomenon has been observed that there was a minority of people whose mental health actually improved during the pandemic, largely people with things like certain anxiety disorders, who are socially withdrawn or are otherwise already inclined to the type of lifestyles that were necessitated by lockdown. I know I was one of those people: I've long struggled with anxiety, OCD, being incredibly introverted and being generally germaphobic and the lockdown measures actually made me feel much better about my struggles with mental health because it no longer felt like asking for accommodation would get me stigmatized by other people to the same degree: I wouldn't have to worry about seeming rude if I didn't want to have someone right up in my personal space, systems were being put in place so working from home was not only possible but the norm, everything slowed down a bit and I could catch my breath. Obviously this couldn't be a permanent state of affairs, but it was comforting to see society make actual changes that would accommodate my particular mental health struggles that could theoretically continue in some form past the pandemic.

And then the pushback and the convoy protests started. For some people these acts of accommodation were too far, they howled and gnashed their teeth over the unbelievable inconvenience imposed by their default mode of being not being the unspoken norm to which all others must conform not being represented in all of our social systems. And all I could think was "You fuckers couldn't handle two years of this? Try having that be your entire life!".

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I've come to realize that a not insignificant chunk of voters doesn't actually base their decisions on a coherent ideology, but on spiting whatever faction they're currently mad at.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Nah, strategic voting is what you do when you're in a very conservative riding that would never vote NDP but might swing Liberal if the stars align.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

On a related note: Has there been any traction on those overseas telemarketing scammers? I keep getting telemarketing calls from "Rogers" trying to get me to sign up with them despite them already being my mobile provider through Fido.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

The CBC changed the wording in the title of their article from “…one of Canada’s most divisive Prime Ministers” to “…one of Canada’s most consequential Prime Ministers”.

I'm surprised they didn't just take the easiest route and change it to "…one of Canada’s Prime Ministers".

Let us all take a moment to honor the memory of Brian Mulroney, a Canadian prime Minister that existed."

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

So, statement from the Prime Minister that we're going to be throwing an absurd amount of funds into the AI money pit...

https://www.pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2024/04/07/securing-canadas-ai

quote:

Investing $2 billion to build and provide access to computing capabilities and technological infrastructure for Canada’s world-leading AI researchers, start-ups, and scale-ups. As part of this investment, we will soon be consulting with AI stakeholders to inform the launch of a new AI Compute Access Fund to provide near-term support to researchers and industry. We will also develop a new Canadian AI Sovereign Compute Strategy to catalyze the development of Canadian-owned and located AI infrastructure. Ensuring access to cutting-edge computing infrastructure will attract more global AI investment to Canada, develop and recruit the best talent, and help Canadian businesses compete and succeed on the world stage.

quote:

Supporting workers who may be impacted by AI, such as creative industries, with $50 million for the Sectoral Workforce Solutions Program, which will provide new skills training for workers in potentially disrupted sectors and communities.

Gee, thanks for offering to "retrain" me out of a career path that actually contributes to humanity so I can become a handler for an idiot plagiarism machine...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

Well you certainly know nothing about AI so there's a subject I guess.

Ed: you won't be alone in the class apparently

If you think generative AI can effectively reproduce the work of creative professionals without people around to fix its output, then I think you're by far the more poorly informed on the subject.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Willatron posted:

Isn't AI proving to be extremely valuable in assisting research and development in fields like medicine and IT?

I didn't take the announcement to mean the Feds are investing billions in making a bunch of Chat GPTs or AI art apps to wipe out the creative sectors.

The fact that they specifically call out the creative sector in the retraining investment blurb tells me that the government doesn't really give a poo poo about protecting the interests of creative professionals specifically. I'm not worried about being made obsolete by AI, I am worried about employers using the existence of generative AI as an excuse to make fewer people do the more of more people for lower pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Willatron posted:

This does seem to be a pretty likely outcome yeah, and I definitely think there's better things to spend the money on than another boost to tech company shareholder's stock portfolios. I do wonder if the NDP is going to use this to further push Gazan's GLBI legislation some more though.

While I would definitely like to see some form of UBI pushed forward, I'm consistently skeptical of the idea that unregulated AI development is going to lead to that. At the end of the day funneling more capital and power into big tech is giving more assets to people who really don't want UBI to exist - It just seems like a "Maybe if we keep letting the boot step on us it'll eventually get tired and go away?" situation.

Rust Martialis posted:

Eh! à quoi bon l’enfant qui vient de naître?

Always a good sign when a technology boasts about all its "potential" applications while failing to demonstrate any specific use-cases. I feel like there's some kind of name or this "cycle" of "hype" Silicon Valley developments go through...

Broad adoption of ML is also rapidly hitting a wall logistically as its need for power consumption and computing power are rapidly outstripping what we're able to provide with current technology. Without major innovations in other industries we're not going to be seeing the pie-in-the-sky, speculative uses AI start-ups are promising any time soon.

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 8, 2024