Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl

Sassafras posted:

Nah, I just rushed the delivery of "surely the elite schools have this problem of deliberately starving people to death because you don't give a poo poo too / got tangled up in that hazing aside.

(Look, I'll keep doing it because it's not 100% baseless: Coroner records going back centuries at Oxford contained a massive quantity of "___, a scholar, died of misadventure")

By all means take your time instead of doubling down like this. What planet are you on dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Denis Coderre has always been a gigantic piece of poo poo, and I was worried his carefully calculated comeback for the fall municipal election would put Valérie Plante in danger. He has put on a big show of losing a hundred or so pounds and going on a personal journey of reflection since his loss of the mayoralty in the last elections -
which was largely attributed to his arrogant personality. His redemption narrative (buttressed by the release of a ghostwritten memoir) is such greasy, transparently crafted PR, but it seems like after the past year of isolation people around here will settle for any sort of return to the past that makes their most aggrieved, reactionary feelings resonate - here against Plante and her bike lanes, I guess. Let it be known that I don't particularly love Valérie Plante, whose shortcomings are substantial : there are some serious governance issues as her party has always been a top-down technocrat affair, and her continuing support of police budget increases is sociopathic. But Coderre is a loving nightmare and much scarier. And the amount of misogyny brought to bear on Plante by the media is honestly unreal. My fear is that this misogyny will set the stage for a return to the old days of topsy-turvy ratfuckery - one need only look up Gérald Tremblay or Michael Applebaum to see what I mean.

I won't be satisfied by a mere re-election of Plante/loss of Coderre, but for the last while all I've been able to imagine are catastrophic Coderre-win scenarios.

And then Coderre got photographed while texting at the wheel over the weekend, then became weirdly defensive, which a wide swath of journalists rightly recognized as classic 2015 garbage behaviour on his part. And I'm increasingly feeling pleased because I can see these types of errors in his judgement multiplying. Patrick Lagacé notably detailed this long relationship with untruthfulness in La Presse the other day, but today news of this really strange, petty and flashy heel turn dropped:

quote:

Coderre, who now lives on de la Commune St. in Old Montreal, said the violence that broke out in the Old Port Saturday night convinced him alcohol should not be allowed in parks at night.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/no-booze-in-parks-after-8-p-m-if-coderre-is-elected

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 3, 2021

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Here with a few suggestions for the hold music in a few provincial call centers.

Emploi-Québec: Robert Charlebois' "Mon pays ce n'est pas un pays, c'est une job"
Conseil des arts et lettres du Québec (CALQ) : Patsy Gallant's "I'm a star in New York, I'm a star in LA" (which also happens to be sung to the tune of Gilles Vigneault's 'Mon pays').
Revenu Québec: Céline Dion's "Parler à mon père"

But of course we all know this will end up sounding like a watered down Putumayo Qc indie rock/folk Spotify playlist, prominently featuring like, Karkwa or les Soeurs Boulay or whatever.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The article being like "it's not certain yet whether this will include english-speaking or indigenous Quebecois" is absurd when any amount of thought would indicate it will absolutely exclude those groups because they're not really Quebecois. The CAQ have been extremely clear they do not consider a person Quebecois unless they're descended from the Catholic settlers of Nouveau France (I guess descendants of the Catholic refugees from Ireland count, too, at least here in Saguenay)

I think that's precisely what they mean to suggest, no? Pretty clearly making that exact point while phrasing it in a way that remains journalistically neutral in the eyes of their editors.

EDIT: For accuracy's sake, it needs to be said that the racism of institutionalized Qc culture is like a whole thing, but most people involved in it despise the CAQ. Also, the political makeup of the provincial civil service I'd venture has many more layers of both PQ-adjacent and defector folks than anything. Those gigantic institutional blind spots weren't exactly birthed in 2018.

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 22, 2021

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Can someone post this?

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Got Pfizer'd for a second time yesterday. Feeling pretty bad right now, but I venture I'll never get as sluggish and stiff as Tom Mulcair:
https://twitter.com/beisan/status/1415645319656878080

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 18, 2021

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm stunned at the wildly pro-GG terms of this discussion so far. Am I that wrong to have presumed that most of us posting here feel that the GG post should be abolished entirely?

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Frankly I hope she refuses to speak both official languages

That'd be a start.

Arcsquad12 posted:

poor defenseless Franglish.

Arcsquad12 posted:

They want sovereignty, they can have it as a rump state as racist and bigoted as they like in a small, concentrated area that is easy to quarantine from the rest of the world.

I couldn't give any less of a poo poo about whether or not Simon speaks French, and sovereignty advocates definitely have a world of reckoning to do (re: "nobody's free til everybody's free"), but I'm not sure revisiting genocidal fantasies of X glorious anglo past is a healthy outlet.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Perhaps it is unhealthy for me. I just despise the language watchdog and the way it is used in this country. 400 complaints and the watchdog launching an investigation seems ridiculous to me so I'll use hyperbole and spell out my disgust for the pro-French hypocrites abusing the watchdog system yet again out of some ridiculous persecution complex over their allegedly dying language. I rag on Quebec a lot because they make it easy for me at work. Post Quesrion period media scrums with Bloc MPs gives me a direct earful of bad faith arguments about defending Quebec culture with a French journalist corps more than willing to stack their questions to get juicy audio bits for their headlines. Listening to that day in and day out for weeks at a time leaves me wishing they would just shut the gently caress up and leave the rest of the country alone.

The reason the Bloc and the (dwindling remnants of the) PQ appear cynical is because they are entirely made up of bourgeois nationalists who are more interested in better asserting their class interests over French-speaking Canada than they are in carrying out any sort of project anchored in ideals of political sovereignty or justice. All of their behaviour follows from that. This doesn't speak to the character of Francophones in general, and acting as such is a concession to their reactionary rhetoric.

Again, I don't give a poo poo about Simon's French language abilities, but this is plainly false. People HAVE brought that up, over and over. Doug Ford's lack of speaking ability and noxious economic policy has been a major focus of denunciation by Franco-Ontarian groups (as well as a smattering of Qc editorialists) since he’s come to power.

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 21, 2021

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

efb on the last page. keeping this up tho:

I know this was discussed in the previous iteration of this thread, but I wasn't aware of many elements of the story, including the fact that Minister of Finance Chrystia Freeland, whose Ukrainian grandfather was the editor of an anti-semitic newspaper in Nazi-occupied Poland and then Austria in the 1940s, has already committed 4 million $ of federal funds to the victims of communism monument:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/victims-communism-memorial-fascists-1.6112809

quote:

Initially, the Wall of Remembrance was supposed to feature the names of 1,000 victims of communism, but by the end of 2015 a list of only 300 or so names had been compiled. The department said it is now looking at a list of 600 names for possible inclusion in the memorial.
Canadian Heritage hired Carleton University historian Michael Petrou to review those 600 names, but not the names listed on Tribute to Liberty's website or in its newsletters. Petrou told CBC News there is overlap between the list of names for the monument and the list on the website.

Identifying the Collaborators
Petrou filed his report to the department back in the spring. He said he red-flagged the names of individuals in that list of 600 who collaborated with the Nazis or were associated with fascist organizations that were active in Eastern Europe and the Balkans during the Second World War.

Petrou said he also flagged names of individuals who could not reasonably be described as "victims of communism."

The Pathways to Liberty list seems to embrace a very broad definition of "victims of communism" that extends to other apparent victims of political violence and veterans of Cold War era conflicts.

The list on the website also includes people who don't seem to be victims of persecution by communist regimes — such as Tara Singh Hayer, a Sikh journalist and activist assassinated in Vancouver in 1998, and Jagat S. Uppal, a successful B.C. businessman who was one of the first Sikhs to attend public school in Vancouver.

[...]

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 24, 2021

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Booourns posted:

"so-called moderate livelihood fishery"

Yes, so-called by... the Supreme Court of Canada. What the gently caress? This is absolute trash.

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 6, 2021

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

This evening I ran into an acquaintance/friend who is now an army recruiter. He's truly pleasant to be around, despite this, and we go way back. So we chatted for maybe an hour. Things got a bit heated when he lavished praise on Chrystia Freeland and quickly afterward said that he thought Mark Carney was "a genius, like Ignatieff". I don't think I'd ever met a real-life tankie for the Libs before.

Moments before, Steven Guilbeault jogged past me as I biked through parc Laurier.

This plays directly into my belief that the PLC is a simulation that only glitches into real-life existence in the lead-up to elections.

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 15, 2021

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

apatheticman posted:

Reminder, the CBC has an ombudsman for things like this.

Whether or not it's actually useful....

https://cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/ombudsman

Whether or not it's actually useful indeed. I did complain to the ombudsman about the Canadian Press / CBC article describing the development of Indigenous fishing in the east coast post-Marshall as the "so-called" moderate livelihood fishery. I got a pretty spirited reply from the director of journalistic standards about the rEaL dictionary definition of so-called ("commonly named") within 3-4 working days. I ended my reply to that with:

quote:

I am satisfied in that your response has allowed me to think through why exactly it is that I disagree with you.

That's about as useful as it gets, I suppose.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Boulerice is a lock in the riding I am eligible to vote in. I've since moved and am not going to go to the trouble of biking over there to support him with a vote. He's one of the smartest NDP candidates but also the epitome of why that is not enough.

The actual smartest might be Nima Machouf, who is running against Steve Guilbeault (currently Liberal minister of Heritage) in Laurier Ste-Marie. She's the only example of a real leftist running for the NDP that I can think of. She was the founding president of Québec solidaire as well as an important member of its predecessor (Union des forces progressistes) and per stories filtered to me through her daughters has communist Iranian parents (refugees from the Islamic revolution) who consistently deride her and husband Amir Khadir's efforts at party politics as entryist naiveté at family suppers. She also happens to be an epidemiologist who has regularly published fairly solid articles on the pandemic, which in turn makes me trust her messaging ability. I would vote for her in a heartbeat.

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 10, 2021

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Did anything ever come of those accusations that Blanchet was a coke dealing rear end in a top hat who assaulted women in bathrooms? I'd love for that to be the end of his career.

It largely seems forgotten, and all signs point to it not being the end of his career, enragingly. Either the journalistic corps here didn't think it was actionable info or they were too negligent to verify. I did see a vandalized BQ poster with a graffiti accusing him of assault the other day, and some muted chatter on Mtl Leftbook, but that's about it.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

It would seem that all of Québec's systemic racism is still being stored in the balls of Yves-François "The Splits" Blanchet:

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

eXXon posted:

Anyone know if there are faster letter shipping methods from the US to Canada than USPS that don't also cost $20+ (a somewhat higher value than I'd place on my individual vote)?

Elections Canada won't accept ballots received after election day no matter when they're postmarked (this seems ridiculous but here we are). "First class" USPS letter mail takes anywhere from 3 to ?15? business days and I was not wise enough to mail my ballot as soon as I got it.

Yeah, speaking as someone who interacts with USPS quite a bit through work, 'First Class' envelopes containing very little sometimes take 3+ weeks to cross the border and arrive at their destination. In my experience also there is nothing that isn't in the 18-19+ price range.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Hamelekim posted:

He wasn't any worse than any other past or present prime minister.

Ah, yes, mindless equivocation, a time-honoured political tradition :canada:

Starks posted:

Chrétien was also minister of Indian affairs during the 60s scoop and pushed a white paper that proposed the abolition of all treaties with indigenous people in order to “assimilate” them.

People change and he gets a lot of credit for ending residential schools 25 years later, but he should probably still have his day in The Hague, at the very least to reveal how much he, PET, and others knew about the ongoing genocide.

It’s a good zinger though lol nothing wrong with admitting that. But you’d think he’d be trying to avoid the public eye in light of all that’s been unveiled over the past year.

He also maintained the radical cuts to federal housing that Mulroney passed in his last lame-duck budget, and was responsible for the Employment Insurance Act in 1996 which cut back the accessibility of unemployment benefits.

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 15, 2021

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I have my doubts about Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois, but his sustained eloquence and substance in the provincial assembly make it hard to feel satisfied by the likes of milquetoast king Jagmeet Singh on the federal stage:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/qu...obox=1631735195

quote:

François Legault calls Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois a 'woke'
Premier's sharp response was sparked by having been compared to Maurice Duplessis.

QUEBEC — Québec solidaire co-spokesperson Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois is a “woke,” according to Premier François Legault.

The tone the premier used, during question period in the National Assembly Wednesday, left no doubt that he meant the label pejoratively, not as a compliment.

Legault evidently had felt attacked by the preamble of the question asked by Nadeau-Dubois, who had compared him to former premier Maurice Duplessis. His reply was scathing.

“The leader of Québec solidaire mentions Maurice Duplessis. He had a lot of faults, but he defended his nation. He was not a ‘woke’ like the leader of Québec solidaire,” Legault said.

The term “woke” in general is used to describe people who are highly focused on ending social injustices and especially all forms of racism.

Nadeau-Dubois had been attempting to make the point that, in his view, the premier had recently proclaimed himself “father of the Quebec nation,” by intervening in the federal election campaign to forcefully defend Quebec values, respect for provincial jurisdiction, Bill 21 on laïcité and Bill 96, amending the language laws. He reminded the premier that he had not received from Quebecers “the mandate to unilaterally decree what Quebec values are.”

By acting in that manner, Legault “succumbed to one of his worst flaws. He set about doing his best Maurice Duplessis imitation,” according to Nadeau-Dubois, who added that “there are millions of us in Quebec who do not see ourselves in him, do not see ourselves in his government; there are millions of us fed up with him presenting himself as our saviour, and our redeemer.”

When the premier called him “woke,” the Québec solidaire MNA did not take up the challenge. Instead, he replied that if “the premier wants to bring the level of debate down into the sewers, he can do so, but I won’t follow him.”

He emphasized that detractors of Bill 21 were just as much Quebecers as those who supported it. “The premier has no right to symbolically expel them from the Quebec nation because they are in disagreement with him. He is a premier, not a monarch.”

The heated debate between the two quickly went off the rails over Quebec-Ottawa relations.

Nadeau-Dubois added that while he is a sovereignist, the quarrels around federal or provincial jurisdiction don’t interest him “all that much.”

The premier seized the opportunity to conclude that what “Québec solidaire is telling us, is that between now and the next referendum, come and invade our areas of jurisdiction, we enjoy that.”

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

The fact that Legault used it that way is kind of unexpected, he's visibly blundering constantly but I don't see him angry very often.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Congratulations Annamie Paul on a well-fought campaign!

https://enr.elections.ca/ElectoralDistricts.aspx?ed=2255&lang=e

Toronto Centre
Party / Candidate / Votes / Percent of Votes

Liberal / Marci Ien / 23,079 / 50.3 %
NDP-New Democratic Party / Brian Chang / 11,919 / 26.0 %
Conservative / Ryan Lester / 5,571 / 12.1 %
Green Party / Annamie Paul / 3,921 / 8.5 %
People's Party - PPC / Syed Jaffery / 1,119 / 2.4 %
Communist / Ivan Byard / 181 / 0.4 %
Animal Protection Party / Peter Stubbins / 116 / 0.3 %

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 24, 2021

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

I feel like I'm losing my mind. New Brunswick officials are doing a briefing right now and they're making a presentation explaining "what is the Delta variant?"

Did, did New Brunswick not know about the last eight months?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wia8XpjGpRc

or maybe this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgIHiEXWyjA

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 24, 2021

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

There's no way Paul tries to hold on to GP leadership, right?

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Some of the paranoid anglo comments about this make me laugh, but I'm certain this did happen. Hochelaga continues to be a special netherworld of grodiness, although it's not like anglos get pushed in front of buses there or whatever, this seems like a sad one-off.

I used to buy my smokes at a dep during lunch when my work was there a decade ago and I'd have to time myself so I didn't run into the daily, gigantic line-up of sickly-looking ten year olds buying Monster drinks.

There's a memoir that came out this year by a sociology teacher who was born in Chile but raised in and around that borough. I've only read bits of it, but had another bit described to me: she writes of how in her first seedy apartment building there (as a child, with her parents) upon arrival to Canada, all the poor brown families like theirs were cooking constantly, which meant that there was a constant onion stench permeating the entire block, and she found it nauseating. Then, her and her parents moved to a block full of poor white families and the onion stench was replaced by a cigarette stench. I guess her point is then that the reality of the depths of misery happening in the hood dawned on her and she finally came to believe that her and other immigrant families were resourceful enough that they would probably nest successfully at some point, by comparison to these sedentarily sad sack whites.

Hochelaga is basically where there are oodles of proletarian quebecers, unevenly distributed elsewhere in the province also, who never got out of the intergenerational cycles of abuse that they collectively endured pre-quiet revolution, and so they do not have the emotional or economic security they in principle should have since then. But then, there are also oodles of (socially ascended) bourgeois pig-dogs who know this and profit from these folks by stoking hate.

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 17, 2021

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Starks posted:

Ok but where are you getting hochelaga from? The original tweeter said she’s in downtown.
100% imagined without verifying this was anglospeak for Hochelaga or the Centre-Sud/Faubourgs « core ».

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 17, 2021

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Noblesse Obliged posted:

You can continue to test positive long after you are recovered and are not transmissible anymore so if you are waiting on negative tests you will be waiting until the spring

Why does everybody keep saying this? It's not true. False positives on a rapid test once infected are rare, and you only test negative once your viral load falls significantly. If anything they're not sensitive enough (for certain purposes).

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/covid-19/some-things-know-about-covid-rapid-tests

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00332-4

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 15, 2022

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

you know, I was really thinking one thing, but this dry translation of the NDP party leader's milquetoast contribution to the Ukraine-Russia question into my mother tongue has completely changed my mind. I'm so grateful that Jagmeet and co are on the scene to illuminate us with forceful, game-changing wisdom and insight.

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 22, 2022

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

impossiboobs posted:

The joke is he wrote "Vladimir Poutine", op.

I mean I know but the superior joke fodder is that we call Poilievre, Carlson, Zemmour, Trump and others on the pro-Russia spectrum 'poutinistes'.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

PT6A posted:

Mind you, I don't think he made the case the Quebec is uniquely burdened in this case

He is making that exact point, yes. There are many angry things you could accurately say about Legault's racist policies and statements, there's no need to mischaracterize them.

PT6A posted:

How do they compare to refugee arrivals elsewhere?

Asylum-seekers arriving in Qc outstrip those to the rest of the country by a lot. 99% of those crossing irregularly arrive in Qc, and 60% of all asylum-seekers (all arrivals). See here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mont...ly%20in%202022.

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 22, 2023

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Yes, which is why I didn't say that.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

Legault made it sound like they are all just staying in Quebec, not you. I was just using your numbers to make a very poorly worded point.

I do agree the distinction is important to point out. But the sheer number of arrivals still places strain on social service organizations.

From the same article I posted above:

quote:

In Montreal, Jean-Sébastien Patrice, the executive director of community food service MultiCaf, said the demand to help asylum seekers remains high.

Patrice said more than 700 asylum seekers are registered to receive services from his organization, up from 62 three years ago. The increase comes at a time when he's also seeing increased demand for his services from people struggling to keep up with inflation.

"We have a combined tsunami from the wave of asylum seekers and the continuing inflation," he said in an interview Thursday.

Patrice said he thinks transferring asylum seekers who want to go to other provinces could allow organizations like his to provide a higher level of assistance to those who remain, but that has to be accompanied by additional funding.

"It's easy to say that people fleeing difficult situations around the world are welcome here, but a structure has to be in place to accompany these words,'' he said.

Once asylum seekers leave temporary housing in hotels rented by the government, he said there's no concern from federal officials about where they end up.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

6, probably 8 people dead, including a child, during an attempted border crossing in Akwesasne (Mohawk nation straddling Ontario, Québec and New York).
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/akwesasne-st-lawrence-bodies-found-missing-people-1.6797256

I doubt this is *directly* related to the Third Safe Country Agreement, if, as the article says, the crossing was indeed being made toward (and not away from) the US.

There's not a whole lot I can think to say. This is pretty loving bad.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

We went about 55 hours. Have some friends who are still out and nearing 72.
Was cute to BBQ meals for the first 24. Got kind of grating afterwards.
Legault says it'd be 100 billion to bury all power lines, but I'm thinking we can save some if we leave Saguenay in the dark.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Strangely I'd say maple leaf tattoos seem way more frequent in RoC than fleur-de-lys ones are here. Maybe because I've always lived in Mtl where true nationalists are few and far between.

Both make you seem a little nuts and at the very least colonialism-naive, but they're not exactly swastikas or Confederate flags either. In practice I think I basically view it on the same level as an AC/DC tattoo.

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 16, 2023

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Jagmeet has said he wouldn't vote for it but I'm sure Conservatives would so it's kind of moot, no?

Union gave their press conference, strike starts at midnight.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Panderfringe posted:

PSAC is confident conservatives won't vote alongside any liberal attempt at back to work legislation. Singh has publicly said he would not support any.

The union is wrong and foolish to trust the conservatives are doing anything more than playing opposition. When it comes to labour and economics, the libs and cons are identical. Conservatives will break kayfabe to force workers back. And Singh will vote for it too because their masters are the same as the liberals now and they will demand it.

My sense is that PSAC has, of course, seen that a PP about-face was a strong possibility, but decided that they would strike the same, whether or not back-to-work legislation is a possible outcome. I personally don't think they're (even strategically) wrong to act like they are currently, but only time will tell.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Met a non-exempt manager on the picket today who argued that strike pay was worse for her because she makes more money. That was a new one.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

PSAC is a strange animal in this respect in that it represents both your run-of-the-mill government computer-touchers as well as correctional officers, certain RCMP desk staff, and CBSA guards who detain and deport people.

In fact, the CRA salary demands PSAC put forward are based on comparable gains won for border guards last year.

I saw a couple years ago that PSAC-Québec was vehemently demanding that Transport Québec officers should be armed.

I've never been too sure what to think of all that, except that it sucks.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

For what it's worth, the John A Macdonald statue in downtown Montreal, the one that got toppled during the pandemic, was vastly unpopular from the start:

https://www.ledevoir.com/opinion/idees/581472/l-impopulaire-john-a-macdonald

Google Translate:

quote:

Just about every chronicler of the time took issue with the statue. In the Réveil of June 8, 1895, the editorialist Paul-Marc Sauvalle wrote: "We do not hesitate to say here, with the frankness that characterizes us, in this newspaper where we have the right to say everything, that we do not think it healthy and useful to choose for future generations Sir John Macdonald as the prototype of the citizen and statesman. »

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

PT6A posted:

I imagine it was the immoderation with which he took drink which drew such disapproval from Quebec, and not so much the other aspects.

Same article:

quote:

As the correspondent of L'Électeur explains, Mr. Foster made the speech for the occasion. "I am happy," he said, "to see the enthusiasm of Montrealers celebrating the memory of Sir John, esteemed and loved by everyone. The late leader was the friend of French Canadians."

"Not of the Métis!" said a voice in the crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I vote for Arivia.