Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

Wait, the rap sheet says "we fixed the ban I approved for you by mistake". So trivializing residential schools along with a 50+% poo poo post ratio isn't ban-worthy or what?

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

Freeland blasts Air Canada for paying $10M executive bonuses while receiving bailout

Gee, I dunno, maybe you should have made those bailouts conditional or something???????

lol the least surprising outcome

The only surprising part is that anyone said anything.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Jupiter posted:

Ahem it's Genuis...

And actually he's one of the most annoying MPs. I was closely following the Canada-China relations committee and he was so combative with all the guests. His tactic was basically to do "gotchas" and try to force experts to admit that the CCP has infiltrated Canada. Obviously this requires investigation, and all of this happened in the backdrop of the 2 Michaels being held illegally.

But he actually said this to Dominic Barton:
"Would you prepared to submit to this committee a list of all of the Chinese state-owned companies that you did work for at McKinsey?"
(from https://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/43-1/CACN/meeting-5/evidence)

Like I'm not gonna go to bat for McKinsey suits but holy poo poo let the adults speak.

I do want to say at the outset, with greatest respect, that I felt at the time of your appointment and still feel that you are a completely inappropriate choice as ambassador. That's not because of your personal qualifications. It's because, as you said today, we expect our diplomatic corps to defend our interests and our values. I look at the track record with McKinsey and some of the things it was involved in, and those raise big red flags for me in terms of your position now as the representative of Canada defending our interests and our values.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Picking leaders who can't win their own seat, in a party that actually does have people who won seats, is hilariously "Green Party of Canada".

I guess she was close so she has that going for her.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HappyHippo posted:

I've heard from a few doctors that people are now vaccine shopping for Pfizer over Moderna (this is in ON). They had unfilled appointments so I got a Moderna yesterday even though my first shot was Pfizer.

So if you're trying to secure a dose see if you can find any doctor's offices offering Moderna

Ottawa health sent out a note this morning basically to this effect.

quote:

Ottawa Public Health (OPH) encourages Ottawa residents to take the first COVID-19 vaccine available for your second dose to provide earlier two-dose protection which is recommended where variants of concern are circulating.

On June 1, the National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) updated its recommendations on the interchangeability of COVID-19 vaccines used in Canada. This means that you could receive one vaccine for your first dose and a different vaccine for your second dose to complete your COVID-19 vaccine series.

Rules haven't changed about eligibility yet though. Still need your first shot April 18th or earlier.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

half cocaine posted:

That's cool so they're just going to play bran van 3000 all the time right?

Came here to say this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bunnyofdoom posted:

FYI, the owner of that place is a well known piece of poo poo. Racist, assholish, etc.

Have a sample

Man, I liked that place. Food was whatever but consistent. Wish I had known that.

All small business owners are likely to be poo poo but I can at least avoid the ones who are confirmed to be poo poo.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bunnyofdoom posted:

Prohibition house not so much, but Union very much is.

Good to know thanks.

My favorite spot (backdrop) closed right before covid and I haven’t really found a replacement since.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bramasole on Bank was ok but they only took cash, and White Horse diner was good but you needed to drive there, and it was only good in that it was cheap diner breakfast. I still drove there a lot.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
nearly 80% of ontario has received a vaccine dose and just over 50% of 12+ have received 2.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Seriously my first reaction was that it was a Beaver / Walking Eagle article.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Counterpoint: unlike the NDP, they clearly realize that having photos and bios on their website is important, they merely did it in a profoundly stupid way. I honestly don't know if that's better or worse.

In order to have bios and photos you need candidates first. The NDP has a ways to go still. Nobody knew this election was coming so it’s totally understandable.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

linoleum floors posted:

What you can know is who you are actually voting for.

Well, when they decide to nominate a candidate.

The NDP is seriously terrible at elections.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

The dude looks like he bleeds orange, what's your problem? Next you'll be trying to drunk on my local candidate just because he doesn't shave his entire body.

The issue is that presentation is important for a good chunk of voters. Now this guy may be in an unelectable riding anyway so it doesn’t matter, but it goes back to the whole thing about the NDP not seeming to want to actually win elections.

He seems ok from the podcast. That green tarp behind him though, lol.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fidelitious posted:

I think this is overthinking it anyway.

Almost no one gives a poo poo who the candidates are in a riding unless a party leader or cabinet minister is there. Or if they're particularly awful.
People vote for parties, not candidates. Which is maybe unfortunate but that's how it goes. Basically every vote is whipped so it's almost irrelevant.

I think this kind of defeatist thinking is endemic to the NDP and the left in general, and creates a circular logic whereby people don’t want to invest time or effort in losers, but i also don’t care enough to volunteer my time to help break that cycle so i recognize it’s on me too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
PC / Liberal
NDP / Green
PPC / Christian Heritage / Libertarian
Liberal

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arc Hammer posted:

If Harden could trounce Naqvi then McEwan has a shot at turning Ottawa Centre Orange as well.

Plz plz plz

She seems like she’s one of the few ndp candidates who is actually on top of their poo poo.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

They didn't! At least none of the box stores like Chapters sold at USD pricing. It sucked having a book that showed two different prices on the back, the Canadian price being 5 dollars more than the American, and still having to pay that.

lots did here in ottawa

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blood Boils posted:

Also rip Norm MacDonald :'(

gently caress :(

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I voted but the liberals are going to win the riding so it doesn’t matter.

Anyway, voting by mail was easy and good, will do again.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lots of liberal ridings are also staffed by utter morons, it's not an exclusive NDP problem. It's just more of a problem for the NDP.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just have trouble pronouncing creme according to my SO, who is francophone. Also according to people in Tims drivethroughs. I used to be able to but I can't do the Rs as well anymore.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Albino Squirrel posted:

It does absolutely nothing. I think Albertans voted that way to show the rest of Canada that we're sick of not being listened to... the truth being that the rest of Canada listens quite well and thinks our opinions are bullshit.

Also, Kenney, it should be remembered, is the person who wrote the loving equalization formula in present use.

It should be remembered that Kenney, who has been an MP since 1997 (at 29) and was previously with various “taxpayer” federations, didn’t write anything. Nor has he likely ever produced anything on his own. He was part of the government that produced it though. I’m sure he understood it after someone explained it in simple words to him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1453721989005262853?s=20

gently caress man. all vaccinated too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheCenturion posted:

What about the Bare Fax?

Building is for sale but it’s still open

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

I think there's a critical mass of people who think covid is over, or at least they're done caring or worrying about it. I'm not talking anti-vaxxers or conspiracy folks, just people who have their 2 or 3 jabs and are going back to normal after 2 years of this poo poo. They'll mostly mask up if told they have to, but otherwise expect to return to normal pre-covid life and are not willing to deal with any more lockdowns or canceled activities.

I think a lot of those people are backing away from that attitude as case numbers climb back up. I played poker a few weeks ago with friends. We’re all vaxxed but we weren’t masked. I won’t do that again until numbers are back down.

Like I’m doing Christmas this year, but the caveat is everyone needs to do a test the day before, in addition to everyone being 2-3 shot vaxxed.

People are tired after 2 years of doing mostly the right things and want to figure out how to, if not get back to normal, at least see friends and family again in person. That might mean going back to outdoor gatherings, or masked events, or more rapid tests.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Another Bill posted:

In August, they (David Fisman specifically but other members of the Ontario covid science round table too) were saying Delta would make sure 100% of people would be vaccinated or infected by Christmas. I'm taking the Omicron warnings with a grain of salt...

That said, I'm not convinced right now that schools will reopen in Ontario following the winter break.

Enough people are saying it that I think there's a decent chance the kids are out of school more than 2 weeks yeah.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Franks Happy Place posted:

Youth hockey games are allowed but not youth hockey TOURNAMENTS, because everyone knows novel Coronavirus only spreads after the second game. Skating around with a bunch of kids with unknown vaccine status and mixed approaches to personal safety will surely go better than the hyper regulated NHL where this poo poo is spreading like wildfire.

I mean what do you even say at this point?

We’re at the point where both should be cancelled but tournaments are absolutely worse than one-off games. Kids and parents have time between games and congregate together.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

pokeyman posted:

Can I ask a possibly stupid question and obviously you don't have to answer: was the middle-of-covid kid intentional and did you consider holding off? It sounds like, in retrospect, delaying might've been better for y'all.

Not answering for them, but I had a kid in the middle of covid. I have a teenager but it’s her first. My SO isn’t getting any younger, we were in a “now or maybe never” scenario, and we decided to do it now. Even if it wasn’t “never”, covid is likely lower risk than waiting a couple years and the birth complications age bring. She’s also in public sector and was able to take a lot of time off, which financially was more viable because covid led to us saving money.

There is never a right time to have kids, or rather, there is always a reason to delay having a child.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Capital Letdown posted:

I was wondering about that - do they still vaccine days at public schools?

I remember getting all kinds of shots, how is this any different? I guess the answer is 'it isn't' and etc.

The nurse in one of the school vaccine days gave me a dalmation plush to count how many spots were on it while she gave the needle. But I didn't need to count the spots for a distraction, I could handle the needle. I was a big boy.

My kid got multiple vaccines at school this year in grade 8 yeah.

They were also doing covid vaccines for kids who hadn't got it during the summer.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

We're still good with craft beer chat though right

do they sell it at the keg?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah my brother is at that point. He’ll do boosters if and when it’s required to participate in public life, and he’ll wear a mask, but otherwise he’s done with going any further than that. He’s a perfectly healthy mid 20s man who spent the last two years largely isolating, so I get where he’s coming from.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hoping for the death of people in general is really hosed up.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think the mental health damage kids are suffering from (if they are) has more to do with the fact they're being told that even being together can be dangerous and that their parents are completely upending their lives and suffering their own mental health issues.

Plus the ones old enough to understand what's going can see how little the people in charge actually care about their wellbeing.

If school goes back on the 17th as planned, without a remote option, my kid will be getting a couple extra weeks of vacation.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
you can also just ask the kids what they think, they're all on twitter and tiktok and such

https://twitter.com/KJ_King16/status/1480362572109033472?s=20

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

StoicRomance posted:

Kid 1 and Wife have the rona. Eight days of positive rapid tests. Kid 2 and I, more vulnerable because of the comorbidities of "being a baby" for her and "loving everything" for me, are isolating in a different part of the house.

If there is a Hell it's isolating a 3.5 year-old in a master bedroom for a week. In a way it would be better if we all got it and my wife weren't so determined to keep this half of the family from getting it. At least we could languish together in the full space. That's how bad it has been, I'm fantasizing about the convenience of just having COVID.

you should probably stop loving everything during the pandemic

that really sucks. I'm also in a house with 4 people including a baby, and being the one without covid taking care of the baby all day by myself would be brutal. hope your wife and kid get better soon

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What’s interesting is because we’re already set up for remote learning the kids don’t get a snow day, they get a “virtual classroom” day instead.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

not in Ontario. a lot of teachers are pissed because they were preparing for asynchronous remote learning, then the decision was made to do in person classes this week, so they had to redo all their lesson plans for in person. then last night dougie announces we're going to a remote learning school day today, but that's synchronous classes so they've had to prepare the same lesson three times in different ways, the last time with less than a day's notice.

They're not doing virtual classrooms, but my kid is in ontario, and the asynchronous learning he was going to do today anyway (because teachers were prepping for a chunk of their class not to come in) is going forward as planned for everyone.

e: I'm a fan of this, if he can log in to view the homework there's no reason for him not to do it no matter what the weather is like outside. He can still go outside and play once the homework is done.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

ah, that's good. you're in a better position to know than me reading tweets last night, thank you for the correction.

That's the plan from the ottawa carleton public board at least. Different boards are different, etc.

Also schools can be a bit unique as well. Every school in this board that we've attended has been pretty good, but this one in particular is really strong with communication. We were asked on Friday to let the school know if our children would be attending this week or not, so that their teachers could prep remote work for them.

My expectation for this week is that even if the schools were open, transportation would be pretty dicey. There are significant shortages of bus drivers. It was easier for us to just plan for a week learning from home vs trying to figure out if we were sending him at 7am once they made the transport call. Also I don't really want him catching covid, soooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
boots are for chumps, i'm this guy

https://www.thestar.com/life/2013/11/06/why_some_canadians_run_barefoot_in_the_snow.html