Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Mary Simon is now the Governor General of Canada.

This is peak Liberal party right here... a massive scandal involving indigenous peoples and you try to make amends by giving one of their activists a ceremonial position that can't change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Is there any credibility to there being an election this fall or is the news media just trying to kill some time and drum up a story?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Arivia posted:

it's pretty much guaranteed, the liberals are doing tons and tons of election-style funding announcements, they've been handling their bills like campaign planks for the next election, et cetera.

Guess I'll send Jagmeet some money.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Got my 2nd Pfizer.
It doesn't make me feel any better because I think vaccine hesitancy in places like the US will breed a mutation that bypasses the vaccine. I think a variant pandemic will put us right back where we started in 2020 with COVID. I'm starting to wonder if Ebola was transmissible the way Covid was if people would take it more seriously.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I'm not familiar with the rules on parliamentary procedure. Does Trudeau really have the power to unilaterally dissolve parliament and start an election or would it have to come up to a vote?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I'm probably voting NDP in this election even though I know that Richmond Hill will only ever be Conservative or Liberal. The NDP haven't won this seat in it's entire history, including all its previous iterations before redistricting.

edit: In 2019 the liberal candidate won by like 300 votes. Every time the libs lose confidence the vote splits to Conservative and NDP with the NDP holding the balance of votes that would be needed to keep the conservatives from having the seat. It's pretty tight.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 12, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

PT6A posted:

I'm open to voting NDP but my standard is that the local candidate must at least try to contact me one (1) time not as part of an e-mail campaign, because I voted NDP last election and it was perfectly clear based on the candidate's behaviour they had no interest in actually winning whatsoever.

A lot of NDP candidates are a waste.
Remember Ruth Ellen Brosseau?? Won her election while she was on vacation in Vegas. To her credit she stepped the gently caress up despite having poor command of French for the community she was elected in and was re-elected before the NDP got washed back out of Quebec.

The MP for Etobicoke was poo poo too while the Liberal showed up to my door to personally introduce himself and have a serious discussion with me. All the aspiring, social climbing, politically savvy people join the Liberals or the CPC if they want a political career. Consider Belinda Stronach for example. Party affiliation matters little for a lot of MPs I don't think it's an ideological decision. I think it's a personal career decision you make for your benefit first and foremost.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

party politics is strong enough in federal politics too that the individual mp matters very little, unless they're an important career politician who is going to affect change as a minister or something. that no name mp contacting you is just going to be whipped into voting the party line no matter what they tell you during election season

all the more reason that proportional representation is important in our system

Exactly, they're vote dispensers for the PMO or party leader. Majority governments are de-facto 4 year dictatorships in Canada. Even the British parliament had more defecting MPs than ours. The worst I've seen is NDP politicians from northern parts of Canada voting against stricter gun control measures.

While I support the NDP on paper for lack of a better alternative, I strongly believe they're an incompetent party of grifters whose careers depend on running some kind of political apparatus without any real plan or organizations to properly assuming government. I look forward to being proven wrong one day but for now I see them as a 15-20 seat fiefdom in Ottawa that self perpetuates itself from dissenting left wing voters who are sufficiently concentrated enough in their key ridings. That's it... say moderately leftwing poo poo, associate with your traditional power centers and reel in that fundraising/election money/parliamentary salary.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 12, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

For what it's worth I think that the NDP is in survival mode and feels they need to pivot left. Jagmeet himself pivoted from sucking off Israel last year to asking for an arms embargo.

There's only enough oxygen in the room for one centrist do nothing party so that was inevitable...

I still think if the NDP ever won power they'd pivot back to the Liberals' current position with a few goodies for us and they'd rule with contradictory policy goals that don't satisfy the left enough while pissing everyone else off. This will probably occur under a relentless non-stop media assault on the NDP government where every major paper from National Post to Toronto Star launch hit pieces on every aspect of the government. It'll be so bad that even sympathetic individuals will "feel" like the government is a non stop disaster.

Meanwhile the NDP will be floundering while trying to get acquainted with how the civil service works and what it would take to actually write and implement legislation. Pretty sure Libs and Tories know exactly who they need to call to make poo poo happen once royal ascent is granted and have the necessary relationships to make that happen. An NDP government would probably face insubordination from various federal agencies and in particular will probably find the RCMP is choosing to be very bad at their jobs while their bosses blame the government for it. I can also see shitloads of strikes at the Port of Montreal, CN Rail etc with NDP reluctance to do back to work legislation. Meanwhile port authorities and railroad execs play the long game and refuse to deal with the unions as public pressure and supply chain shortages put the federal government in an extremely difficult position that will eventually cause them to cave and legislate everyone back to work. By year 4 of this hypothetical majority, they'll get wiped out by a CPC backlash majority and never win another government again.

You'll see retrospective montages of empty store shelves, shortages, non stop strikes, high taxes and economic stagnation as a warning sign for what happens when you elect left wing governments and Canada will lurch hard to the right for another generation.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 13, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

In that case I don't think a potential NDP govenrment would be that incompetent. There's alot more integration between the Provincial and Federal NDP's than with other parties and talent shifts between them. Actually they have a problem where there's brain drain towards like the BCNDP or ANDP because they are/were in power. What I think would happen is what happens to every Western Social Democratic government. Capital Strikes like you mentioned or a slow lurch towards New Labourism.

I think people forget how autonomous Canadian Provinces really are. NDP goverments in Saskatchewan, BC, and Manitoba have gotten elected and done much of the typical program for Social Democratic party's in the west such as Nationalisations, Universal programs and then the slide towards neoliberalism.

Right, agreed. But it can't be understated enough just how loving difficult it is to govern the ungovernable. Without support from the business community, capital can simply refuse to do business the normal way and basically shut down your economy until you're voted out so you bear the blame for its failure. There's no real way to stop this kind of stuff. We all talk about regulating business to stop climate change but we forget many of the bigger businesses like railways, resource developers and fossil fuel companies basically have a hotline to the PMO's office and special access to government that a regular citizen simply doesn't have. These people can call and speak directly to the prime minister and I'm pretty sure they make veiled threats about what would happen if your legislation hurts their business interests... As much as I think Liberals and Conservatives are very supportive an ideologically aligned to capital, I do also believe many of them wanted to do the right thing once upon a time and quickly realized their power is limited and the business community has all sorts of tools at their disposal to make any government they don't like utterly miserable.

Like you need so many things to go right for you to have a good government. You need the media on your side, definitely. In a lot of cases those media companies aren't neutral anymore like they were in the old days. They have political interests of their own, often represented by their board members and shareholders and they will act to the benefit of them above all others. So you make Faustian bargains. You promise tax cuts to the friends of whoever owns Postmedia or Bell Media and in exchange they publish puff pieces about you and underreport your mistakes. All these people know eachother. They go to the same restaurants and golf courses. They stay in some of the same resorts. It's not a conspiracy so much as it is multiple entities semi-independently all pulling in the same direction and as a whole can really harm your government if you piss them off... It doesn't surprise me our governments have been so useless. Look at what you have to deal with!

At the same time as much as you want your power to come from "the people" I think modern life has people accustomed to trusting media, never really knowing the truth anymore and falling victim to repeating false narratives. I think that regardless of whether you live in a democracy or not, a government reflects the culture, attitude and general willpower of its citizens. People are easily manipulated by the big business media. If they care more about their selfish needs like continuous supply chains, stock market gains, and seeing the garbage get taken out on time every week then they can be manipulated with these things.

We've just successfully convinced a lot of people that inflation is going to trash our economy in the future even though the numbers don't support those claims. People just assume we are "printing money" to pay for things and we'll fall off a fiscal cliff any day now. The only reason this hasn't hurt the liberals more is that people want the pandemic spending more than they currently care about "the deficit". When the pandemic is over I expect people to start being more susceptible to austerity narratives.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 13, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

half cocaine posted:

People in this thread think the RCMP are doing a bang up job under a bunch of neoliberals.

Nah, that isn't my opinion. I merely meant that the RCMP have a better reputation outside left-wing ecochambers and for the average suburb dweller who's never seen the RCMP in their lives won't necessarily know about poo poo like how they do entrapment with activists etc.
What I mean is they'll drop the ball in very visible and controversial ways and the federal government will be blamed for it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

Lately I've been thinking if the Left is too hard on the Military and Police. With the complete failure of the Defund the Police movement and the crime wave here in Canada and the US doesn't it make sense to pivot to a non-interventionist stance instead of a "Abolish the Military and Police" one? I mean Bolivia, Venezuela, and Cuba have armies and cops right? And in Venezuela's and Cuba's case they are loyal to the government. I feel like the "Abolish the Police" poo poo is some anarkiddy platform that has no real basis in the history of the Left in Canada or the rest of the world.

Please feel free to challenge me on this, I've been reading alot of Freddie DeBoer at work while loafting and his views are rubbing off on me.

It's about the source of your authority. The police in western countries serve the interests of capital first and foremost. Since the entire culture of the police isn't really loyal to governments (and in some cases dictates how municipal governments behave by withdrawing services in wards that are hostile to them) they can do whatever they want.

The reason why people want to abolish the police is because they think the police can be disbanded and replaced with a new organization that does the job properly, from the ground up. It's the belief that police culture and organizational inertia make reform impossible unless we start from scratch.
Case in point, many countries like Norway don't have armed police on the front lines and those guys only get called out if the situation warrants it. The police in the Americas are a right wing organization.

Historically, when left wing movements attempted things like revolution or seizing control of government while they appeared as populist movements "for the people" they often had to serve the whims and opinions of particular groups that had some form of power or leverage.

During the French Revolution a lot of that power originated from groups like the Sans Culottes, angry mobs who watched political proceedings and peasants/middle class people who later became the Paris national guard. So you basically had an armed paramilitary group with peasant origins that was backing your government as long as you were upholding whatever their interests might be. They also owe their existence to your actions where previously the army was controlled by entrenched nobility etc.

The status quo is the interest of the current police and thus you will never get their backing unless you behave like the current crop of active western governments.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I don't think we should underestimate the conservatives. There's a lot of people sick and tired of the lockdowns and agitating for a more GOP style response to the pandemic (and vaccination). If people stay home it could result in a conservative takeover.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Like, how do people look at the way that conservstive provinces have been running poo poo into the ground and then say "more of that, please!"

Because they aren't. They aren't thinking about anything beyond their front yard, their pocketbook and whatever number is in their stock portfolio. There are a lot of people who are doing quite well under these governments and they don't care about anything else. They don't want the government touching their money or their asset values to help someone they don't know, like or care about.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

The Nova Scotia election upset is making me really nervous about the Federal now.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Nice Van My Man posted:

The Liberals were being hammered hard by both the NDP and Conservatives in NS for not supporting the medical system. I don't know how they could possibly think it was a good idea to be weak on healthcare while we are still trapped between waves of the pandemic. I can only assume they needed a vacation and were trying their hardest to lose the election.

It's a shame because all things considered the pandemic was being handled pretty well, and now I hope we don't start going the way of Toronto or Alberta with regards to pandemic response.

I am also now mentally preparing myself for the upcoming federal Conservative majority. If anyone can do it, the Liberals can. They've already started fumbling it with their extremely transparent excuses for why they think an election is needed.

It's almost like the Libs realized that letting the NDP hold the balance of power means we're going to get too much progressive legislation so lets roll the dice and get either a Liberal Majority or let the Tories form government, either way, capital wins the political long game which is what this is all really about.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Thermos posted:

The province is feeling it. Two news stories that really hurt the Liberals in this election were one guy laying in his driveway with a broken hip for 3 loving hours waiting on an ambulance. The other was a man dying after waiting two hours in triage.

I'm not in an especially rural area, but last week a friend sat in emerg for 8 hours in a pool of his own blood waiting to see someone. He told the guy at the desk and they just shrugged and asked if he wanted a paper towel or something.

I think at this point a lot of people didn't have much faith in the libs to fix poo poo, and the cons were able to capitalize on it in a big way.

In light of this context I'm not AS worried about the NS election impacting the federal. It's a strange world we live in where PC's are actually promising to improve healthcare funding and hire more doctors though!
Usually (in Ontario) a PC govt means healthcare CUTS, firing nurses and closing hospitals.

Having said that I still think Erin O'Toole is going to come up from out of nowhere and win a majority because of NDP/Liberal vote splitting.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Tory majority if an election were held today due to vote splitting. Either this persists or the progressives have their come to Jesus moment with Trudeau at the last minute.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

eXXon posted:

On what basis are you predicting a majority from 29% of the vote, besides perhaps throwing out that poll as soon as you see that it's online only?

I'm exaggerating the majority. But I can't see enough liberal votes break to the NDP in sufficient numbers to matter on a seat by seat basis.

Here's a very broad example of what I'm talking about. If current polling patterns persist and people start feeling like the Liberals aren't campaigning well, the trends will probably skew like this demonstrative example:

Average 905 Ontario Riding Last Election:

Liberal: 23500
Conservative: 19400
NDP: 2650

My 2021 Election Projection:
Liberal: 20,000
Conservative: 21400
NDP: 4150

Now take this effect and rinse and repeat for places like Etobicoke Centre, Markham Unionville etc etc. That's what I think happens every time people get tired of the libs. The progressives park their vote with the NDP either because they have a really charismatic leader (Jagmeet/Jack) or because they think the Liberal party has failed them and they can't conscionably vote for them anymore. Meanwhile there's a lot of upper middle class HENRY types in these ridings who are content with the government keeping their taxes to a minimum and will gladly vote Conservative if they moderate their message slightly and the libs gently caress up badly enough. You can't escape this as long as the Tories have the prairies locked down. Their parochial dog whistle attitudes play well with all the white people who live outside the major cities in places like Barrie or Huron so most of the big low density areas are also a permanent lock for the Tories... So again the NDP's victory in my opinion depends on how much they can sway Alberta, Manitoba, Coastal BC, Hamilton, the Downtown Toronto ridings and Quebec to give them just enough to either get a minority or a squeaker of a majority with the progressive enthusiasm giving a few 905 ridings to the NDP. Without Quebec and the Prairies an NDP gain of 5-10% just gives you a tory government.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/1430199354292326415?s=20

Conservatives are deploying the Liberal strategy of campaign left apparently

This kind of poo poo tracks well with people like my parents who are otherwise apolitical or left leaning in general. Their sole interest in their old age is making sure the pension checks arrive on time and in full. If they weren't seriously convinced the conservatives are untrustworthy crypto-fascists they might even vote for them because of stuff like this. Considering there's a number of companies on the verge of total dissolution (Read: Bombardier), there's very real anxiety about topics like this which a campaign promise of this style would address. The only problem is, my parents don't read twitter so they'd never know about it.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 24, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Here's what I don't understand. We have a total fuckup of a conservative party who will win by default if Trudeau implodes even though Jagmeet Singh has like a 54% favorability rating.
Why does the NDP continue to be so toxic to the electorate that they can never entertain it as a serious alterative to the liberals? The media is also trying its hardest to Astroturf O'Toole like he's some kind of political maverick here to save the day with political masterstrokes.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

the talent deficit posted:

"progressive" hero jack layton ran on a loving balanced budget. get out of here

Post Media has been spamming apple news with a near constant diet of "Debt Debt DEBT DEBT DEBT INFLATION!!!!!" articles about profligate liberal spending.

So in Canada at least, it seems that voters have traditionally been obsessed with debt, balanced budgets and keeping inflation to a minimum. It's like the ideal Canadian prime minister is either some jolly performatively progressive French Canadian or a cold, quiet, salt & pepper haired, tax accountant type of guy who falls awfully close to the uncanny valley and has low-key fascist tendencies. I'm not sure if this still applies today now that younger people are more involved. Still the NDP seems to think that they gain more legitimacy if they present themselves as a "fiscally responsible" party. I don't know how much of this comes from capital co-opting the party versus party bosses just trying to maintain their jobs/grift to sustain their financial situation. I'm not sure if this brand of neoliberalism is necessarily imposed on us. We feel this way as a social democratic minority but it seems Canada as a whole is happy enough with the status quo under FPTP.

I like what the NDP says sometimes but they have no penetration or space to occupy that the Liberal party hasn't already. It seems like people vote for them when they feel the Liberals suck and they want more liberals but without the stink of corruption.

I wonder if there's enough oxygen in the room for a real centre-left party like a Canadian Social Democratic party with real policy plans and proper grassroots support. The NDP abandoned their traditional base because some bigshots at the top probably felt that any attempt to push to the left or stay on the left with the unions etc would be very unpopular. As far as I can tell whenever any unions with real power (railways, sanitation and ports) go on strike, the government just legislates them back to work with full public support. We're so dependent on the railways and ports for our modern style of living that no consumer is willing to tolerate supply disruptions on imports. Public opinion is very much against unions because people feel the unions are the ones who are greedy and the corporations aren't. A union wanting more pay, benefits and sick days for their employees comes across as work-shy, lazy and unproductive in a world where many people had to work really hard to get through school and claw out a meagre standard of living for themselves. I don't think progressive, left leaning politics is something you can legislate from the top down. It's a chicken and egg scenario. We keep saying "If only we had a chance to pass X policy, then everyone will see!" but the reality is that everyone can see quite clearly and they don't want it. At least they don't want it in sufficient enough numbers for the parties to stake their political careers on it.

The older I get the more I realize that the system is working as intended for its core constituencies. There just aren't enough poor people or working class people in Canada who have a social democratic ideology. People only see their salaries, their taxes, the appearance of a prosperous economy and that's what drives their votes. The system as it exists today necessitates a powerless underclass to provide service for the "middle class" and upper class people who are dependent on cheap labor for the service sector. Those people living in vote/seat rich 905 suburbs love their homes, their costco runs and their amazon habits. They are more than happy to live that way while exploiting the gently caress out of the poor people who are hidden behind the curtain being ground up into sausages to make that happen. There is this perfect ratio of active homeowners, pensioners, suburb dwellers and wealthy immigrants with net worths in the mid six figures or above who are propping this system up because they stand to lose more in the short-run than they would gain by perpetuating it. Even poor students buy-in to the system because in their alienation and lack of a political solution to their problems have turned to self-reliance and hustle to make ends meet. There's just a trickle of people like this who somehow manage via wealthy families and other assistance to bypass the glass ceiling on younger people and get just enough economic prosperity to afford things like lattes, uber eats deliveries, some electronics and an overpriced 1 bedroom apartment in the city. No savings unless they're lucky enough to get a matching contribution retirement plan with their company.

I'm fully expecting millennials and gen z to become more conservative the moment the boomer die-off commences and the government feels it needs to replace those voters by bribing people who are in their 20s and 30s now when they're 40/50 with easy homeownership schemes. It's either that or they replace the dying boomers with more rich immigrants who are happy to perpetuate this house of cards by importing their money to pay for real-estate and luxury goods. There's lots of grist for this mill so I don't see how any of this is going to change.

I have spent the last 2 years studying revolutions beginning with the French Revolution onward and almost every single revolution has failed to achieve any meaningful gains for poor people and lower classes. In a lot of cases a successful revolution was driven by old school market liberals who wanted their privileges to better reflect their finances. Every time there is a popular movement for democracy, socialism etc it has been subverted by wealthy liberals who often work in concert with authoritarian conservatives to harness that desire for change into poo poo like nationalism, patriotism, national unification and getting rid of monarchs to form republics where wealthy landowners are at the top of the pyramid. I don't see how any of that has changed now. I think the only reason we've seen that trend get disrupted was because the carnage of WW1 and WW2 indiscriminately destroyed lives and wealth regardless of social class. Entire nations saw themselves destroyed physically and financially by WW2 and the resulting power vacumn meant that upper and lower classes had to work together with American aid to rebuild on a more equal footing. Efforts had to be made to stop communism from spreading so we sweetened the deal with European style social democratic movements. Meanwhile the US enjoyed so much wealth and prosperity from having a near monopoly on consumer goods due to lack of European competition that it was easy to pay everyone whatever they wanted to be prosperous. If we want cheaper housing, it's not going to happen until climate change indiscriminately starts rendering desirable coastal cities uninhabitable and we start moving further inland to compensate. That'll be the great equalizer (in western countries, everyone else is dead).

China similarly is enjoying a rising standard of living across the board, not because they are a more equal society but because all their new wealth eventually leads to incremental boosts in income and available jobs at whatever factories and industries they're sprouting out to support demand for consumer goods and raw materials. They are currently going through something America went through in the 1950s and 1960s. People are starting to afford cars, city homes, consumer goods because the exponential gains also mean exponential gains on the tiniest slices of the economic pie. They could be paid much more and things would still be fine, but their near limitless growth is the main driver of that prosperity, not their economic equality. China makes more millionaires now than we have people in Canada. So that wealth is still being concentrated in a similar ratio to how it is here.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 25, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Randalor posted:

Just out of curiosity, but how exactly is it that house value is proping up the Canadian economy? Could someone give me a brief reader's digest summary of how that works?

All the transactions juice the GDP numbers which drive investor confidence in related industries. The land transfer taxes are lucrative revenue for municipal and provincial governments in an era where raising taxes is political suicide. The law firms, real estate companies, commissions etc provide income that people can use to spend on other products. The banking sector, mortgage brokers etc all get to have amazing years from the banking activity that generates which means “safe” stocks like Canadian banks can post generous dividends to their shareholders which in turn helps pension funds get good rates of return for boomer retirees looking to make sure their portfolios are healthy and safe.

Finally as people over leverage themselves or refinance mortgages they are spending that money on home improvement projects for their crack shack fixer uppers. This leads to more work for contractors, trades people etc. There’s entire sectors of architectural coatings that are having record years because of the work that’s going into homes now. Swimming pool order books are full up into years worth of work.

All of this stops if housing crashes in value as people stop bothering with these projects and house flipping becomes unprofitable.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

eXXon posted:

The FIRE sector (Finance, Insurance and Real Estate) is an absurdly large fraction of the economy in basically every province (and I'm going to assume territory too).

Imagine if housing prices started declining - what would happen to all the Realtors (TM), contractors/hardware stores, the ~70k new condo units being designed and built every year in the GTA (I think it's up to 20k+ per quarter), the banks lending money to finance all of this poo poo, etc. etc.

Note that Thatcher was able to get a huge grip on power with promises like turning council estate renters into homeowners. Imagine multiple generations of transient renters suddenly being given easy ways to secure permanent property that can accrue in value indefinitely as you make renovations. It’s how real estate blew up in the UK and led to their FIRE sector boom.

People want to be homeowners. That’s the lie. You get told you can build equity and become a millionaire just for living in your house. Home is now a commodity investment rather than basic shelter and an expense. Everything you spend to make it prettier is now an “investment” into a forever appreciating asset. That’s why the debt doesn’t matter. If your interest rates are so low that you’re gaining 40,000+ per year in home equity then you’re only profiting.

Anyway you can’t fix it because everyone who buys into this system has staked their livelihoods on this and therefore has a selfish interest in perpetuating the scheme until they benefit from the bubble. If there truly is a time limit before these houses crash in value, nobody wants to be caught out when the music stops. So the answer is to keep the music playing forever. We’ve bribed the voters with cheap credit and financialized home ownership in a way that it’s become a component of how people save for cushy retirements.

This is the biggest Ponzi scheme in Canadian history. And the worst part is all the “solutions” are just more people trying to get in on the action. I can’t in my right mind justify participating in this right now. So I’m still bearish on real estate.

I have a friend who is trying to convince me to get my parents to HELOC their house so I can buy a cheap condo in Jane and Finch and rent it out as a slumlord while I profit from rising home equity.

That’s a loving bubble. That’s the shoe shine giving Joe Kennedy stock tips before the depression.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 27, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

The Richmond Hill NDP still haven’t run a candidate so I guess I’m stuck voting for the liberal landlord.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I’ve met completely liberal women who don’t want the vaccine due to reproductive concerns and worries about after effects.

They wind up turning to poo poo like essential oils instead.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Typo posted:

The best part is the Tories are getting the exact same 34% they had in 2019

So it looks like progressives are getting tired of the Liberals and their empty promises and slowly bleeding off to the NDP. I hope that THIS TIME with more youth voter engagement that the swing vote to the Tories won't be bigger than the progressive swing to NDP. Or else FPTP will give us at least a conservative minority if not worse. It seems post 2019 polls greatly overestimate support for centrist/liberal parties versus conservatives. There might be a shy tory effect in play here. I know people who are so fed up with mask mandates and vaccinations (I work with some of them!) and they're flying off the deep end to vote PPC even!.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Their best showing yet!

It helps if you realize that at least some of the party insiders still look fondly on the "Orange Crush" of 2011, wherein they were the official opposition, and completely powerless against a CPC majority. That's the high water mark for these folks.

It's precisely this kind of attitude that makes me resent the NDP. The height of their seat count was like the worst era for Canada since NAFTA and the cuts under Chretien. Granted we have nothing but the libs to blame for this but the NDP piss me off because they're a false choice. They're a party that is left of everyone else but has no real plans to form government, or be a credible alterative to the liberals. The NDP are basically French's ketchup when the store is sold out of Heinz.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Absolutely and its frustrating as hell to watch. The Cons landed a sweeping majority but the NDP gained a few seats to mark their highest seat total since the Rae days and that is seen as resounding success.

It's a resounding success for the party, the insiders and whatever fundraising they were able to achieve from this.
Their entire political goal is to get as many of the candidates they personally like and feel connected to into Queen's Park or Parliament Hill so they can grift off govt salaries and build sinecures for themselves via govt and associated thinktanks. Change my mind.
The best thing that could ever happen to Canada is if the NDP became electorally insignificant and a real social democratic party replaces them and prevents any of the failsons from joining and starting another grift.

Canada is packed with real social-democratic talent. I'm convinced there's people out there who'd do a good job if there was a vehicle/party for them to ascend into politics through. Instead the NDP sit there and occupy that spot in our political spectrum and are basically dead weight that keeps us from getting a real party that actually wants to do something.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 1, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

linoleum floors posted:

Ok, so who are you voting for then.

The NDP. But I do so with resentment and knowledge it helps the conservatives in my riding because the NDP will never win here.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

I think this is overthinking it anyway.

Almost no one gives a poo poo who the candidates are in a riding unless a party leader or cabinet minister is there. Or if they're particularly awful.
People vote for parties, not candidates. Which is maybe unfortunate but that's how it goes. Basically every vote is whipped so it's almost irrelevant.

Yes. Do not forgot that the last orange wave had a woman who didn’t even live in her riding or speak French very well win in Quebec and she wasn’t even there to confirm that win because she was in Las Vegas.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Arivia posted:

To her credit Ruth-Ellen Brosseau became a legit good parliamentarian, won the 2015 election, and is running again now after losing in 2019. She turned out to be a good politician we all didn’t expect her to be after the Las Vegas scandal.

Yeah the way she turned that around was incredible. It's a shame the bloc made a comeback after Singh.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

ARACHTION posted:

The biggest myth is that you need to be a genius to deliver things to the people. Doing good is not intellectually difficult, it’s pretty clear what the average person needs for their lives to improve. It’s being a neolib who tries to balance business needs with legitimate needs of everyday people and the need to then sell austerity that takes some heavy thinking and mental gymnastics because that poo poo doesn’t make sense to begin with.

I strongly believe a lot of people currently in parties like the LPC (and especially the CPC) are of neoliberal persuasion and just different on the degree to which they think they should apply it on the world. Having said that I think a lot of politicians started their lives out as human rights lawyers, grassroots activists, community leaders and even union leaders and I think as they ascend the political ladder they get exposed to all kinds of crap that comes with the job that pushes them in the neoliberal direction despite their personal politics.

Once you enter politics there's a lot of pressure from forces that will grind you down into a neolib direction because that's who they all are. The ones who can most feasibly get access to you also control vast segments of your economy and if you don't do what they say, there are consequences. We saw what those consequences looked like in the Bob Rae government. There's this text based political simulator game on Steam called "Suzerain" that I feel realistically portrays what it might be like to be the leader of a country where the various functions of your party, your government and its military are all doing their own thing and you somehow have to balance them with your own ideology to avoid losing an election or getting killed. That's the thing we're missing here, if you aren't already an upper class political dynasty or businessman you will find yourself needing the co-operation of people like that just to move things along.

Like I'm not a China stan but look at what's happening now that they're cracking down on rich people and tech companies in particular. Chinese stocks are crashing hard and it's causing economic disruption that's super easy to convert into negative press against your government in non-authoritarian democracies. Those with the most money and the most entrenched interests in the neoliberal status quo have power to make or break governments in the west.

I don't think it's enough to be a person who wants to make people's lives better to be able to politically overcome neoliberal inertia. You need a narrative and a media ecosystem that reinforces and signal boosts your narrative.

Tech companies have a monopoly on internet based information sources and are experts at using their algorithms to push misinformation and alt-right narratives that are breaking every western democracy in the world right now. This is nothing new. In 1848 you had left wing and right wing printing presses spamming anyone who can read with their political narratives. In many ways it was a much more analog and slower way of doing the same thing that we're doing on the internet now with no way to quickly and independently fact check things. So basically if you controlled a printing press you could reliably build a movement around your propaganda and that is what happened. Then depending on which side was politically ascendant they would forcibly shut down or destroy the opposing press.

In modern times using force to stop press you disagree with is unnecessary. Your interest group simply buys whatever news org you need and you get to decide what prints and what people get to see...

Case in point:

https://twitter.com/MalindaSmith/status/1184661402599882753?s=20

Is it any wonder that the Toronto Star got bought out by a hedge fund then? Can anyone care to guess who they might endorse this election (I have a feeling it won't be the NDP).

So you want to do the right thing? You want to end neoliberalism? It won't happen through will alone... it won't even happen if you become prime minister with a majority. You have to control public opinion. You need fanatics and die-hards in sufficient numbers who will do what they're told to execute the plan. But most importantly, you need to control the narrative. In this decentralized and privatized universe of internet and legacy media, the narrative is already firmly under the control of the wealthy and they decide what people think. I strongly believe that a true soc-dem or socialist has to have authoritarian, manipulative, Machiavellian and ruthless traits to survive. It can't all be hippie kumbaya bullshit. That's for the cameras and for the townhalls. Behind the scenes you need people to march in lockstep with the movement and you need to replace public servants and media organizations with those who are loyal to you and you alone. Only then can you get the work you need done without having a conservative media discredit your entire government and hold it responsible for everything from bad weather to willful insubordination from the private sector. The private sector can deliberately sabotage your economy and spike unemployment because they have the financial resources to wait out your 4 year term. You do not have the "political capital" or public support to deal with 4 years of economic crises and unemployment because business won't fall in line with your policies.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 2, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

As a former oncology patient I am absolutely appalled. Society is completely breaking down if we’ve come this far where police just allow “protestors” to harass cancer patients.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

The southbound QEW has a big digital sign some ways south of Hamilton that shows “PPC” in big letters “because all the other guys suck”. So Halton/Niagara is starting to warm up to them too.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

thehoodie posted:

Doesn't #semenretention also require that you don't get laid? Bit of a self-own, there, bud

This is part of a right wing fascist mythology. The idea is that ejaculation deprives you of much needed masculine energy and has some misogynistic roots because they don't discourage sex. you're still supposed to have sex with women. You just have to train yourself not to ejaculate from the process in order to prevent her from depriving you of your masculine powers... I don't know the details but it goes something like that and its a very commonly held belief among right wingers.

Having said that there are benefits to abstaining from masturbation to pornography so you can normalize your expectations about sex with your partner and improve your overall relationship quality but it has nothing to do with pseudoscience about conserving masculine energy.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

It’s not looking good over here. Lots of conservative signs in the immediate area and the Liberal and NDP signs are getting kicked over. I think my riding will go conservative this election given how close it was last time.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

What are the takeaways from the debate for someone who hasn’t watched it yet or voted yet?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

BGrifter posted:

It always boils down to..

Seriously. It’s been a problem since the French Revolution. The centrists and “liberals” will always punch left harder than right.

During the Paris Commune they made sure to kill as many communards as possible even though the commune initially banned the death penalty. When socialists try to play nice the centre brutalizes them. .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Cocaine Bear posted:

Is there a good reason Ontario and Alberta don't have their own federal parties to run on racism and more money for us gently caress you? I get the stupid reasons the bloc exists for, just not why no one has tried to copy the model of securing the future of our provincial culture.

gently caress, I can hear Dougie's radio ad decrying the injustice of starving white Ontario babies in contrast to those fat cats living it up over in NS or whatever.

They did have a party like that in Alberta. It was called the wild rose party. They merged with the PCs to prevent future vote splitting.