Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

flakeloaf posted:

No need to update the op because it's the same cycle of tripartite bullshit we've had for the last forty years

There's a third party?

Oh, you mean the Bloc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wait, the rap sheet says "we fixed the ban I approved for you by mistake". So trivializing residential schools along with a 50+% poo poo post ratio isn't ban-worthy or what?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There has been some hoopla in the Green party recently over Israel and anti-semitism, with recently-elected leader Annamie Paul (who converted to Judaism 20 years ago) making a mealy-mouthed both sides non-statement, then getting push back from her own party and blaming anti-semitism:

So now the Green MP who tweet that criticism, Jenica Atwin, has crossed the floor to join the Liberals, a party famous for their frank and honest criticism of Israel's human rig.... wait what?

quote:

"It certainly played a role," she said, when asked whether a recent dispute over Green Party Leader Annamie Paul's public statements about the Middle Eastern conflict pushed her to join the Liberals. Paul has been accused of ignoring established party policy on Israel.

At a press conference alongside Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc today, Atwin said that while she'll stand for a different party in the coming election, "my priorities, my values remain the same."

She said she was never particularly partisan. "For me, it was always difficult to choose which party flag to fly over my head."

She vowed to continue her fight for aggressive climate action and to oppose fracking and projects like the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion, which the government is in the process of building after years of delays.

"I haven't changed my views," she said.

Atwin said the Liberals offered nothing in exchange for her floor-crossing and she was not promised a cabinet post.

"We haven't discussed anything like that," she said. "One step at a time."

:psyduck:

I'd call her a craven opportunist, but she did this for apparently absolutely nothing in return, so ... what...?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

eXXon posted:

I'd call her a craven opportunist, but

Well, no need for if, ands or buts anymore!

Arcsquad12 posted:

In other poo poo news Fuckface Ford successfully passed the unconstitutional legislation on campaign spending with his notwithstanding clause fuckery.

Oh man, the CBC article on this has quotes from the finest people:

quote:

Government house Leader Paul Calandra repeated the attorney general's arguments on Monday, saying the amendments were necessary to protect the elections.

"[The opposition] want a system where there are no rules," Calandra said. "We insist that elections be done fairly."

I didn't know that that rat-faced Harperite shitweasel Calandra had burrowed his way into provincial politics. No sense of shame on these -

quote:

The head of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association (CCLA) said Monday was "a day of infamy for Canada's constitution."

"The election gag law in question aids the incumbent government's re-election bid in 2022 by limiting political voices
for the imminent election cycle," Michael Bryant said in statement.

I'm not sure I even knew that there was a Canadian ACLU knock-off, but did they really need to hire a director who's famous for writing a book on how he killed a guy and totally was not guilty of anything?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh no, where am I going to get lovely hot takes from now, literally every other columnist at the Sun and also every other major Canadian newspaper?

https://twitter.com/torontowil/status/1404824964541337600

One tough women indeed.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you elect Greens they'll establish colleges of homeopathy, naturopathy and chiropractic, allow homeopathic 'medicine' to be sold in pharmacies, and permit private insurance to cover all of the above.

(I'll give Liberals some credit for dropping public coverage of chiro in Ontario).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

However they are also considering a $45/year fee for everybody parking on the street overnight, and $3/night for visitors to an area, which seems much stupider.

Why? $45/year for street parking is a pittance; there's no way that covers more than a tiny fraction of the maintenance costs.

For reference, Toronto's fees are:

No access to on-site parking for resident’s first vehicle permit: $17.21/month
No access to on-site parking for resident’s second and any subsequent vehicle permits: $53.43/month
Resident does have access to on-site parking (permit is for convenience) $75.16/month

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 17, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/CityCynthia/status/1407765458984579072

img-meme-Why would Toronto City Council do this?.png

Bleck posted:

actual picture of me on my way to a place that doesn't have a white supremacy problem

Fitting that it's an obvious fake but I still must applaud the maker of that image for taking the time to paste the image of the moon behind the layer with the stars.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 23, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How did Chinese military get access to this secret laboratory?!

*walks past sign in front of secret lab*

Why did a scientist working on dangerous viruses send samples of them to a different laboratory that also does similar research??

Now, we know these samples weren't of coronaviruses and therefore have nothing at all to do with COVID-19, but watch this slowmo shot of Justin Trudeau's face.

In other news:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheEagleist/status/1411724014226219014

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh god, you think if Harper doesn't run, they will elect a full blown mask off Socon? I can see that happening

Introducing your new prime minister, Gene Eric Soh-Khan!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think that the Governor General ought to govern, generally speaking.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ZeeBoi posted:

No, it’s totally like how when a gas station gets torn down you can’t develop on that land until all traces of gasoline have been cleaned up. :v:

Speaking of which, I was recently at Upper Canada Village (a quasi-faithful reconstruction of a hypothetical 1860s Ontario town, much like Black Creek Pioneer Village in Toronto) and they have some stained glass windows from the former mansion of JP Wiser (of lovely whiskey fame), an ornate gazillion-dollar house with carved wood-panelled rooms and all kinds of poo poo that you'll just have to imagine because it was demolished in the 1950s to make room for... a gas station.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What's more, a shocking 0% of British Columbians aged 18-35 have received three or more shots. Get your boosters, kids! #vanvax #covidsafe

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Alright, I scheduled a Monopoly-playing marathon with 7 of my closest friends on Friday. I just have to finish posting Missing Cat signs at the local park and then I'll start preparing the spread of delicious no name products purchased from my local Shoppers Drug Mart.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

will you be driving your Silverado to the park, or biking without a helmet?

Sorry, I traded that in for a black Dodge Ram 3500 Limited Crew Cab 4x4 so I could have more room for the white Canadian flag, Punisher and Molon Labe stickers.

Speaking of which, how much of a dog whistle are those pure white stickers on black pickups?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If Andrea Horwath is so out of touch, how do you explain her various successes in leading the Ontario NDP for the last 12 years?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 5, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I swear one of these days I am going to throw myself into a giant blender.

Are you planning to work at Google or something?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Not only is there no quarantine in the US but there's no testing on arrival either. At least everybody gets a test (at Pearson anyway) before going to customs.

Also Canada requires a PCR test whereas the US allows antigen tests, and inexplicably, Switch Health (the company doing the arrival tests at Pearson) offers antigen tests for outgoing travellers with your choice of nasopharyngeal swab (the long one that goes in the back of your nose) or the less accurate shallow nasal swab.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 8, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arivia posted:

"inexplicably?" it gets them more money and increases customer satisfaction, gently caress accuracy we don't care about it actually being right!

They charge the same amount for the antigen test ($75) regardless of which swab you use and I doubt the swabs cost more than pennies each.

To be fair, the nasopharyngeal swabbing they did there was more unpleasant than I had for a PCR test because they swabbed for over 10 seconds in one nostril instead of doing both for 5-6 seconds each.

Muscle Tracer posted:

As someone who is finally able to see my family for the first time in 18 months thanks to this, I am OK with it. To get into Canada, you have to prove you've been vaccinated and tested negative within the last 3 days. It's hard for me to imagine a higher bar than that.

No, you can also provide proof of a positive test in the last 14-90 days as long as you're currently asymptomatic. Fortunately, it seems like fully vaccinated people are unlikely to still be infectious 2 weeks after first symptoms appear, even with delta.

I'm not clear on what the requirements are for unvaccinated Canadians returning after recovering from COVID...

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 8, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Please... It will be built by SNC-Lavalin, who must be finished with those Libyan prisons by now.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

For whatever it's worth (very little) the 338 Projection has them at 48% majority odds.

lol, I just learned that Eric Grenier left CBC to found a subscription-only website. His reasons read like basically it was getting too hard and not fun for him to pretend to be a journalist in addition to a wholly unqualified not-actually-statistician.

Imagine watching his tepid analysis on CBC for years and being excited to shell out $6.99/month for more of that drivel.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

infernal machines posted:

It's worth reiterating in the runup to this election that seat projections in Canada are literally worthless.

Actually, I can confidently predict that the Liberals will get 169 +/- 120 seats in the next federal election, 99 times out of 100.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

An NDP government would probably face insubordination from various federal agencies and in particular will probably find the RCMP is choosing to be very bad at their jobs

The only thing the RCMP is good at is brutalizing disadvantaged and vulnerable people so this sounds like a win to me.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 13, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

We're on a work to rule campaign, let's see how you like it when there's nobody to clear out indigenous protestors or environmentalists blocking old growth forest strip fracking pipeline access roads!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ToxicAcne posted:

Lately I've been thinking if the Left is too hard on the Military and Police. With the complete failure of the Defund the Police movement and the crime wave here in Canada and the US doesn't it make sense to pivot to a non-interventionist stance instead of a "Abolish the Military and Police" one?

I'm trying really hard to parse a coherent thesis out of this mess of a post but failing so could you please also try a little harder to explain what a non-interventionist stance means exactly and how the possible increase in crime in one extremely unusual pandemic year after decades of falling crime rates mean that we're being too hard on the police?

Like it's been what a week or two since police violently evicted homeless people from parks they since closed for filming or just out of spite so why exactly do we have to hand it to them (it being perpetual budget increases and no meaningful structural change)?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why wouldn't Albertans vote for good ol' Petey Polliver?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Like two peas in a pod, or piss in a puddle.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh man. Imagine when the truth gets out that Justin Trudeau wants votes, in an election, for his party.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Let's see how TorStar's doing under new ownership:

Who’s best suited to help our economy recover, the Liberals or the Tories? Thanks to vague and similar promises, it’s hard to tell.

Trudeau: 10, O'Toole 18, Singh 0, NDP 1:

quote:

The Trudeau government’s unprecedented investment in the economy since last year, which has continued during Trudeau’s own pre-election cross-country tour, disguises underlying weaknesses in a Canadian economy that someday will have to achieve world-class performance without deficit-financed support.

But at least so far, a blueprint for dealing with that reality does not figure in the plans of the three parties most able to form a government, either on their own or in a renewed Liberal-NDP minority alliance.

Well anyway I'm voting for Kodos.

Also lol at even half of the Canadian economy being able to survive without deficit-financed support.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can't wait to vote three years in a row! I was getting bored of having to wait four long years to scream into the void (on paper).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can't wait to hear what new and exciting promises the Liberals are going to refer to a committee to write a report on that can be safely ignored in 4-8 years!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

In a way, "opportunistic election" is like the epitome of representative democracy. If more people really do wish Libs had more power than they do, shouldn't the representation adjust to reflect that? Isn't that the point of the system?

Setting aside the notion of manufactured consent, increased election frequency favours the candidates and parties with the most cash. This isn't to say that elections should be less frequent, but holding them every 1-2 years doesn't seem like it would benefit anyone but those who can afford to max out their donations every year.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arivia posted:

this has huge accessibility problems is the thing which would make me worry - part of why we spread polling stations out so much is because not everyone has a car or whatever to make sure they can get to a central polling place. Pulling all the polls for one area in one single spot would have a bunch of negative effects on voter turnout simply by making it harder for people to get there.

Not to diminish these concerns but Toronto Centre is the smallest riding in the country (under 6 sq km) and probably the most accessible. I don't think the plan will be the same elsewhere.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Erin O'Toole opposes mandatory vaccination for federal public servants, travellers

Erin O. Tool posted:

Vaccines are not a political issue. To try and make them one is dangerous and irresponsible.

Well good luck with your election campaign!

Oh, I missed this too:

quote:

Indeed, the topic of mandatory vaccinations has already become a prominent election issue. The NDP and Liberal parties are requiring their candidates be vaccinated before hitting the campaign trail. The Conservatives and the Greens, meanwhile, said they're encouraging their candidates to get vaccinated — but are not making it mandatory.

This is going to do wonders to dispel the Green's pro-woo, anti-vax image, I'm sure.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 16, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

pokeyman posted:

He wants either vaccination or constant annoying testing. Call it anti-vax if you like but there's a bit more to it.

There is absolutely no way that rapid tests for bus/train travel are feasible and either way it's a shittier plan than mandatory vaccines.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

enki42 posted:

Also what the gently caress are they thinking running their party leader in Toronto centre? Zero chance she wins the riding IMO.

It's where she ran before she was leader. The NDP candidate from previous elections (and likely this one) seems good to me but is basically unknown. I suppose she thought she had a hope of winning against Marci Ien because seriously, is a CTV daytime talk show host really that high profile of a candidate? ... but it was obviously going to be an uphill climb in a riding that always leans Liberal and also usually nominates progressive NDP candidates.

Now, why doesn't she parachute into some other riding in the GTA or Ontario (she doesn't have to go as far as the west coast!) where she actually might have a chance of winning, as even Elizabeth May realized was going to be necessary to give her party even a shred of legitimacy? Your guess is as good as mine.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What exactly is so compelling about the NDP's platform or record (mostly provincially, granted) on the environment? All that springs to mind is their insistence on cap-and-trade instead of a carbon tax, and BC happily clear-cutting old growth forests more or less regardless of which party is in power.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Another Bill posted:

Trudeau is Naismith and O'Toole is the peach buckets.

O'Toole is the peaches, lying on the ground, bruising easily.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

Tory majority if an election were held today due to vote splitting.

On what basis are you predicting a majority from 29% of the vote, besides perhaps throwing out that poll as soon as you see that it's online only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Randalor posted:

I'm either going to vote NDP, or barring that, I'm tempted to write in a vote for "Nutz, Sukdez"

Is Suq Madiq a dual citizen? That might cause some (frankly unwarranted) criticism on the campaign trail.