Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

MNIMWA posted:

No kidding - half the posts on r/Canada are op-eds from the national post or other inflammatory nonsense and the comments are truly insane. There's a post in there today about cultural programming for black youth (the NatPo op-ed is typical "this is segregation?" "MLK wouldn't have wanted this!") and all the comments are crying reverse racism, CRT is to blame, the woke are running amok etc.

One of the /r/canada mods was a self described white supremacist and the sub gets pretty heavily brigaded by the "just asking questions" coalition from /r/metacanada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

apatheticman posted:

Reddit is a white supremacist cesspool... stop going.

Smaller subreddits dedicated to learning about a topic are usually fine.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

You can. Just gotta be bear spray.

I assume not of the LGBQ2S variety

You can't just walk around a city with bear spray

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

If I'm vaccinated in AB, how do I get a vaccine passport for BC?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Am I going to be able to show my two pieces of paper to be allowed access to things?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

It's gonna be one of those things like how nobody realizes that money is actually worthless and imaginary and only has power because everyone agrees it does.

I don't know if I've ever met anyone who doesn't realize that money only has value because everyone agrees it does.

Also, that doesn't mean that money is "worthless and imaginary". People agreeing that something is worth a value is the opposite of "worthless"

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

They deserve to lose but not just so the Cons can take their place and wreck poo poo. There are good people in this country who don't deserve to suffer because the government sucks and their neighbors are racists.

Why do you simultaneously believe that they deserve to lose but it would be worse if they lose?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

Because I have a hard time accepting that our options are only "lovely status quo" and "even shittier status quo."

Unfortunately our electoral system is FPTP, which nearly universally polarizes to two parties with a tendency for people to vote against their least favorite option, rather than for their most favorite option. I'm not sure how this can be fixed.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

apatheticman posted:

Nurses are right to quit.

They should leave us to die.

We as a society deserve it.

Nurses also end up in the hospital. Guess they deserve to die too?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

That’s exactly what they said. Right.

It is, and and it looks like they just confirmed it

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Let people be angry FART AMPLIFIER.

I had a friend of mine, scientist turned tattoo artist (she rules), message me absolutely livid and upset - wondering if it was okay to hate these people. I said it's perfectly fine - they are absolute scum and after a year and a half of this plague being extended cause of them hatred is justified.

You can be angry at antivaxxers without dragging the thread down with posts about how society deserves to die because of Covid. It's not productive or healthy.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Normy posted:

I'm not convinced ranked choice would benefit the Liberals the most. The NDP is the #1 second choice for almost all other parties' supporters.

Talking about which party benefits most from electoral reform misses the point. The parties would evolve out of necessity and Canadians would benefit.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Sashimi posted:

Since this is the second election in a row where the CPC has got more votes than the Liberals yet ended up with significantly fewer seats, why aren't they screaming at the top of their lungs for electoral reform? It plays into the conservative persecution complex, and gives them plenty of mud to sling at Trudeau since it was his government that immediately dropped that campaign promise once elected in 2015. This seems like it should be a slam dunk issue for them to take up, am I missing something?

Electoral reform doesn't play predictably into our current conception of party politics.

For example, a ranked choice voting system like STV changes the dynamic of campaigning entirely

1) The simple fact that you're not the most popular candidate in a riding doesn't necessarily mean that you have to oppose the most popular candidate. You can appeal to the commonalities of a candidate while offering something different/above that candidate, because being the number 2 choice has value, unlike in FPTP
2) More conservative representatives in Eastern Canada, and more Lib/NDP reps in Western Canada because more than one candidate per riding can be elected.
3) A party's base is incentivized to vote for the most appealing option, rather than against the least appealing option.

I think any discussion on which party benefits/hurts with electoral reform fundamentally misses the entire point of electoral reform. Proper electoral reform would be unpredictable and transformative and cannot simply be thought of as shifting the balance of power from one party to another.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

You can't arrest a premiere for doing a bad job

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Orthanc6 posted:

Yeah actually I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon here and say provable incompetence or negligence of someone at the top of the totem pole should be an arrest-able offense. There should be a cost to the privilege of power.

Objectively terrible idea. Legislators would be arrested and charged for legalizing drugs or safe consumption sites or for things like crimes committed by refugees.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Another Bill posted:

That similie doesn't hold up, because if legislators let people into the country and they were murdering 25 people a day or legalized a drug that killing so many people that morgue were literally overflowing with bodies.... well I think I'd like to see some criminal investigations into those circumstances as well.

Actually, it does hold up, because there is death toll right now due to drug use that a conservative could easily blame on liberal drug policies.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Normy posted:

All the homeowners have to die eventually then it's payday!

Unless the population decreases or we build more homes, prices will increase

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Banning Chinese access to 5G infrastructure isn't WW3 fomentation.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

https://edmontonjournal.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/they-are-trying-to-kill-us-alberta-city-at-odds-with-homeless-outreach-group/

The Alberta "Kill The Homeless" Advantage

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

half cocaine posted:

That's cool. Just wanted to make it clear that anyone who advocates against alternative voting is just trying to stack the cards for their team.

Can you please actually provide evidence of this? I advocate for single transferrable vote. Can you please explain how this means I'm trying to stack the cards for my team?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

This "how old are you now" stuff is like elf on a shelf. It's apparently some beloved tradition that I've never really been exposed to, and the first time I head of both I felt like I was in an episode of Sliders.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

Corporate penalties really need to go from fines to shareholder dilution. Pull an Enron? 100% of your shares are turned over to the state for redistribution. Pull a lesser crime? 40% dilution? It's the only thing that matters.

How would that change the behavior of the company?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Muscle Tracer posted:

The owners of the shares select the board, who select the CEO, etc, so having the gov own those shares would have an obvious difference. Presumably shareholders also don't want to lose their shares, which they bought.

Would it? There's no additional incentives to not break the law that a government can offer in that scenario.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Presumably shareholders also don't want to lose their shares, which they bought.

That's the case for any loss of value, such as corporate fines, which are already ineffective.

The real solution is to put real people in jail, since only people can actually commit crimes.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

terrorist ambulance posted:

We're all in on "it's probably the good covid", seemingly

I think it's more hoping, as it tentatively appears to be the case, that the skyrocketing case count doesn't translate to increased deaths or hospitalizations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Hasn't been the case in Uk, Denmark, or New York, but maybe we'll be different. There doesn't seem to be a plan if we're not, so let's all cross our fingers

In Denmark, the daily death count was increasing before the Omicron cases skyrocketed and the increase levelled of as Omicron skyrocketed.

In the UK deaths have remained level.

In NY, deaths have increased marginally.

However I did look into the hospitalizations in those locations and yeah it's concerning. Obviously deaths lag hospitalizations which lag cases, so now I'm a bit more concerned.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I'm not a cspam doomer, I accept Omicron may be less serious or lead to less deaths, but the case counts are absolutely exploding and the only way that's not disastrous is if Omicron IS way less serious. Even then, if we max out our hospitals, it'll still be bad.

Well that and even if the hospitalizations and deaths are lower, if the long haul covid rates are similar it's going to be a nightmare. It's definitely not a good time to see a bunch of graphs turn to vertical asymptotes.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

RBC posted:

they don't count those as "hospitalizations" under the provincial covid statistics

that's not how it works

How does it work?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Another Bill posted:

I posted it to show that if you're well vaccinated then its emerging that things haven't gotten much more dangerous for you by one measure.

Maybe to reassure someone out there who's hyperventilating in front of their computer screen after seeing that first chart.

It doesn't show that though, because it's old data

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

But little timmy got to see the sohcahtoa dance in-person this year so who can say if this is bad or not

You can have a mature discussion about the subject without pretending that education isn't important

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Powershift posted:

Somebody assaulted some cops at the Coutts blockade, the cops all left, and there is now another blockade on highway 2 by standoff.

It's starting to sound like appeasing these idiots was a bad idea.

Where are you seeing this?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

The Human Crouton posted:

Don't get angry at me. I'm on your side. I said the trucker slave class should continue to deliver goods to you after you break up their protest.

Maybe post your point instead of vague riddles

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/davidreevely/status/1492274517963587587

judge: "i want the blockade gone so traffic can move"
lawyer: "ok but can you guarantee there won't be bad weather or construction"

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Alctel posted:

How much power does the city council have over the police force? If it is indeed just mass amounts of officers ignoring orders, can they all just be fired and new recruits hired?

Explain how you'd even go about firing a whole police force who is already ignoring their orders. How are you going to take away their weapons and equipment?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Grouchio posted:

The army rolls in and arrests them?

That would be a disaster.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Slotducks posted:

no gently caress it keep going - this stupidity must keep growing and the cpc must fade into obscurity

I can assure you that this isn't going to go as you hope

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

The money thing I'm not really informed about, anything that cracks down on crypto I think is good; the government potentially freezing assets of people it doesn't like or threatening it might be concerning in the abstract but isn't like something that I know enough about the details to comment.

There's been some argument that its a bad precedent because it might be used against leftists but my instinct is to feel that this isn't a very well thought out argument; it seems like the state has no problem in sending in the police to break up leftist/capital-critical protests without needing to resort to such measures.

Maybe there's some hypothetical future where the government might go after prominent leftists and freeze their accounts to make them destitute and unable to function in society; like something out of Continuum, but I feel like the "precedent" isn't going to matter at all in factoring into the governments decision making; a Conservative or Liberal government might point into recent events to say why its okay to target some other group but thats just going to be post-ex facto justification for something they were already going to do.

The idea that invoking federal emergency powers to freeze the assets of people is right or wrong depending on their position on the political spectrum is spectacularly awful.

The majority of Canadians are correctly in favor of breaking up the Ottawa occupation and border blockades. The majority of Canadians are correctly in favor of seizing funds donated to groups who are using them to do these things.

But if you think the majority of Canadians are going to be ok with some elderly person getting evicted or not being able to buy medication because their bank account has been frozen due to convoy donations, you're mistaken. It will be a complete disaster.

For the Liberals to suggest that members of Pro-Trump movements who donate to this kind of thing, you should be worried about having your loving bank account frozen, is loving insane. I live in Northern Alberta and I don't have to walk through a store for more than 2 minutes to hear frothing at the mouth level insanity against the Trudeau government.

The response to the completely legal and ethical vaccine mandates has translated into death threats against people I know and work with. The response to an actual government overreach that fucks with people's ability to put food on the table and pay their mortgage would be catastrophic.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I guess it's worth noting that only around 76 bank accounts have been frozen, and from the sounds of those have been only for people receiving money for the convoy, not those sending it.

Also there's literally nobody by the name of Briane from Chilliwack on the very publicly-leaked list of donors, in case anyone wasn't sure whether Mark Strahl was completely full of poo poo.

People receiving money for the convoy should have the accounts frozen. I'm also fairly skeptical that the government would actually go after people who donated. However, suggesting that people who donated should be worried about their account being frozen is going to drive crazy people crazier.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Old people have been dying from our evil system since it began. Why is only when alt right assholes start getting consequences is there handwringing about it?

Not a justification for doing bad things.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

What bad thing has been done? Some theoretical sympathetic old person op is making up in their head?

You can refer back to the previous comments to see what was being discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Thanks. I hadn't seen that, so it's a relief. I wish they'd been more clear about this earlier, but it's good to have a definitive response the government can be held to.