Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OwlFancier posted:

Thankyou! It is at whitby again, further along the abbey cliff. It is actually the remains of a concrete boat that served as a harbour tug for a while. Parts of it still hold water.

The tide pools have some quite mesmerising floral growth.

Looks almost red though I can't see colour properly.

Yeah that's a reddish, pale brown sorta colour. Gorgeous photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

stev posted:

Does this work on anyone? If I feel like someone's trying to trick me in any way with their advertising (even if it's a cheeky joke) I tend to bin it and vow never to use the cunts.

They wouldn't do it if it didn't work on anyone, I assume.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

Everyone I know that has allergies, including myself, has had a massively shite time with hayfever this year and my worst periods were weeks before I even got the vaccine.

Hayfever is insane this year. We've seen so many prescriptions for allergy medications go through our pharmacy, a lot more than most years.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My best mate is a London-based stand-up comedian, had a few paying gigs so it's more a side hustle than a hobby now. Most open mic nights I've been to with her are at least half women, and almost always at least one of the men is some middle-class, very handsome white guy who thinks he can just go up and make sexist jokes and people will laugh because it's ironic or whatever. They do not do very well.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I hated World's End. Gary is a shithead who only cares about himself. The Nick Frost character is mocked for being sober and it's played as a good thing that he starts drinking again. The Martin Freeman character is brutally killed and replaced and it's played more for a joke than anything else. I dunno, it just felt very mean-spirited in a way I didn't feel from the other movies. Nice to see so much of the local suburban wastes though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My eye condition having accelerated to the point where it's a real problem, Moorfields is putting in for a Certificate of Visual Impairment for me. They give you all kinds of reading material, sort of 'here are the benefits, here's what it means' stuff and 'support with sight loss' stuff, all very good. But my goodness the paperwork is very careful not to imply you might be entitled to anything from the government. They're terrified someone will assume they might get money to live on and quit working for the trivial reason of 'am now really quite blind'. The overall tone is cautiously supportive but every other page is 'YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANY BENEFITS JUST BECAUSE YOU HOLD A CVI'. loving hell, calm down.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Aw thanks friends :) yeah I'm doing fine, my central vision is actually pretty decent but retinitis pigmentosa (like your sister, concerned friend!) has eaten a huge ring out of my visual field. I should be able to keep doing my job for as long as my colleagues will resist leaving stuff on the floor where I don't expect it. Still going to notify work though so I can get grumpy in a legally-supported fashion if they ever try to make me work in weird light levels or tell me to take my sunglasses off or whatnot.

A bit emotionally weird but I was diagnosed 25 years ago so I knew this would come. I've actually been pretty lucky, the rate of decline is really slow and there's a good chance I won't ever go totally blind so - yeah, emotionally weird.

E: I wonder if I can get the council to come and put in dimmer switches on the lights. That'd be amazing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Here is my big project! ...I've been doing a lot of these tiny house kits. Absorbs me for ages in the evenings. I do get glue everywhere but that's one of the hazards of being clumsy in general.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks all!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's nice. I didn't know you could get kits for things like that.

I sometimes fantasize about having a doll's house and making small things for it because I never had chance as a kid. However, being completely ham-fisted (my corn-dollies when forced to make them as a kid took on the semblance of the worst WickerMan nightmares) and having a flat so small I would not be able to hide my endeavours from visiting family who would mock, I never tried.

I get em on Amazon (I know, I know), if you search 'cutebee' or 'diy house kit' they're in there. They make tiny ones you make in tins that you can hide from everyone's eyes if you still feel worried about that. You'll need to buy glue (I suggest one PVA glue and one superglue and just be careful not to attach yourself to anything) and you'll want scissors and tweezers, and maybe batteries, depending. If you decide you wanna do this and you're not sure, hit me up in PMs and I'll drop some recommendations.:)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Lady Demelza posted:

Few pages back, but that dolls house is gorgeous. Was it in this thread that someone posted the Youtube link to someone who had recreated the Addam's Family house? If not, do have a look. The dedication and attention to detail was mind-boggling.

Thank you so much! My work is very sloppy and imprecise but it turns out it doesn't actually matter at all.:) I would love to make the Addams Family house. Maybe a future project.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bobstar posted:

I would pay to see this

Especially since, like all posters, I picture you looking like you av

(Yes I am a bunny)

I used to be a computer game fat guy but now, thanks to an encounter with That Italian Guy, I am a lovely dog. So I'm in favour.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I loving hate work. Not even my specific job just the whole structure and edifice of working for a faceless company that will never appreciate or reward anything I do. I wish to god I had enough money to live on for a few years so I could just gently caress off for a bit.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

She loving sucks but do we need to start making fun of how she looks?

e: the Neoclassical one looks a bit Star Treky, I'm here for it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm going to keep wearing my mask out and about because it's really helping with the hayfever. Wish I'd done it years ago.

I made a tiny circus! Or a tiny replica of the government. Kier Starmer is the little cat sitting obliviously on the train tracks.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I was at a pub yesterday (in the beer garden, with work colleagues, all double vaccinated, about as safe as we could be) and when I went in to use the loo I said to the lad behind the bar 'excuse me love, I can't see very well, could you help me find the toilets' and his idea of help was to say 'it's down the corridor there'. I suppose technically he did help me but I was hoping for a bit more help. I did find it though.

e: going to start carrying my symbol cane all the time, at least then I'll have something to accidentally hit people with

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There are other apparent doctors in the replies saying that there are beds, but I have no idea how many beds there ought to be, other than 'more then zero'.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'd say about three-quarters of the people coming into the pharmacy are still masked. I've been a bit more lax about wearing it in the dispensary, admittedly, because the heat is absolutely killing me, but I still wear it in the shop.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Rabelais D posted:

I'm in Hong Kong and it's 30 something degrees every day and the humidity is through the roof, but everyone is wearing a mask all the time when outside of the house. It does get hot but it doesn't actually stop you from breathing or anything, you just need to get used to it.

Reading stories of supermarkets filled with unmasked people, some of whom are quite probably infected, is pretty horrifying tbh.

Oh I didn't mean 'wah I'm uncomfy so i won't wear a mask', I've been wearing a mask all the time I'm outside of the house since the pandemic started. But I am suffering a bit and struggling to avoid actual heat stress so I take it off to cool down.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There's a chippie/kebab place right on the top corner of my road, where I walk past it every single day, and it's cheap and generous with portions, but I don't like the chips. To me there's a soapy taste - not sure if they're putting coreander in the oil or some drat thing, because I'm one of those who can't stand coreander. It's cash-only and every year or so it shuts down, claims to be under new management, rearranges the furniture and then re-opens and it's the same people in there, so I assume it's a tax dodge of some sort. Nice burgers though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm a tight thrifty bastard (scottish) but the one place I don't look at prices is the food shop

That sounds nice.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Quite note on ADHD: It was eight months between me first thinking maybe it was a chance to diagnosis, and that was during the height of the pandemic. So don't be put off purely by tales of long waiting lists - it's going to absolutely depend on where you are. I didn't have the money to go private so it was the only option, and unlike some services I got to walk out of the assessment with a prescription and started meds the next day. Been quite a turnaround, though I'm tempted to ask for a higher dose to see what it's like.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

Henry VIII was revolutionary in that he nationalised the local assets of a global corporation that had a monopoly before this change. Change my mind.

He did it so he could ditch his wife which is fairly Tory

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

We saw the building site Apaches and it scared the poo poo out of me. At one point a huge machine runs over a kid and you see just his bloody shoe left and the strong implication was that even if the driver sees you, he won't care because 'Time is money to these machines'. Also a kid electrocutes himself while grabbing for a handhold and getting a wire. And a kid falls into a pit and leaves gore streaked on the edge. I think this kid chased his dog into the site.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My dad was a bus driver and one time someone tried to board via the doors at the back - I'm guessing they were the kind that were always open - and it was as he was pulling away, and he didn't see this guy. The man fell from the bus and hit his head on the pavement and ultimately died. It was a huge investigation but luckily there were a lot of witnesses who could confirm that Dad had no way of knowing the guy was there and it wasn't down to carelessness. Anyway that's why they should still have two members of staff on buses.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Probably just because it's nearby, but trying to imagine someone starting their new city and proudly naming it Watford is giving me the giggles.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There's an American-made TV series that dramatizes Acts of the Apostles and adds a bunch of politics stuff with the Romans and suchlike, and it is actually very good despite being a followup to the very boring 'The Bible' miniseries. It's hard to find now because they recut it as a movie for Easter a couple of years ago. It's called 'AD: The Bible Continues' or 'AD: Kingdom and Empire' and if you can get past the very earnest literal interpretations of things like the visitation of the Holy Spirit, it's pretty great with a stellar cast and some good, complicated looks at the tensions of first century Judea. And I mention it because their version of Paul is amazing. He's an awful obnoxious dickhead who's certain he's right all the time, and that doesn't change when he converts. There's a strong implication that he gets sent off to preach in distant lands because he was driving everybody insane.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thread smells of Lynx today

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The animated Soul Music is pretty decent.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I made a little castle out of a kit! I call it Hayfever Hotel.

I've got a week off work and I plan to mostly be building these kits. It's absolutely soothing and I love the results. I could never have done these before I got medicated for my raging ADHD. Hooray.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know you've mentioned it before but I can't seem to find the post now - what are these kits called and where do you get them from?

Thanks everyone :3:

I get them on Amazon (I know) and you can find them by searching 'DIY miniature house kits'. The usual brand names are CUTEBEE and ROBOLIFE - they're Chinese resellers. The tin kits are around a tenner and the bigger house ones are anywhere from 15-60 quid depending. They change prices a lot so do some shopping around. I expect you could get them on Ali Express if you wanted. You'll want glue (I use white PVA and superglue mostly) and tweezers and ideally a craft knife or if not, some smallish scissors. Most kits need batteries and don't come with them, if you want to wire up lights. It's p easy.:)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I was at Tesco once and one of the old ladies I know because of work was in there too so we did the usual polite chitchat, and then she mentioned that she was in town and 'I was the only English person on the street!'. By which I assume she of course meant she was the only white person. Which is loving impossible, but anyway. And she got SO flustered when I didn't just make agreement noises. I just said "Yeah? I don't think that would really bother me" and just remained pleasant but not falling in line, and she got kind of upset and walked away. And then a good two weeks later after I'd honestly forgotten about it, she spotted me on the street, stalked over and said angrily "Anyway, I MARRIED an Italian!" and stared as if she had proven a point.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Obviously it's totally legit to not believe in heaven or God or whatever. But the grumbling about the 'perfect happiness' version of heaven seems to really miss something, sometimes. Like you describe how heaven would be perfect eternal happiness and someone goes 'pff that doesn't sound happy to me, sounds boring'. Well okay? Then it wouldn't be that for you? Like there are millennia of theological thought on the afterlife from thousands of different cultures and the best some folk do as a criticism is 'pff playing a harp on a cloud all day, that sounds dull'. I dunno. I'm grumpy today. The whole point is that you wouldn't be you as a person living in a town and just feeling happy all the time, it'd be completely different, probably, beyond comprehension.

I always liked the idea of - I think it's Elysium maybe? Where you exist in a perpetual state of knowing that the people you love most are just about to arrive. Just joyful anticipation forever.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I did Latin for a couple of years because I went to a convent school. Really like Latin tbh it's a neat language to learn. Good old Caecilius. When that one Doctor Who episode had Caecilius in it I was delighted.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

What's stopping trans women feeling innate connections to our captive dwarf planet?

They probably believe that menstruation is connected to the moon. Despite many, many people who menstruate having cycle lengths that are either somewhat irregular, or far adrift from 28 days.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Reminds me of how I only recently identified myself as asexual. I've never been sexually attracted to anyone in the way people talk about, and I've spent my whole life thinking well, I haven't met the right person, or maybe I'm gay? but no, women neither, or maybe I just have a low sex drive, that's all right, and then only very recently did I think, maybe that just doesn't exist for me. That's all right! But it's odd. I guess the desire to have sex with somebody is actually real and not just something people are making up for movies and TV shows. I dunno. Feels all right but I've had a really strange year, identity-wise.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Camrath posted:

New Fudge Released!

All stock is now live at https://www.fudjit.co.uk at £3.50 per 100g(ish) block- Paypal and credit/debit cards accepted

As always, use the goon special code 'Roastbeefisbest' to get 5-for-4.

Get Fudged!

Order placed! The website would not let me order more than one block of a flavour but at least this has forced me to diversify my fudge portfolio.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Camrath posted:

If you’re who I think you are, you took the last stock of several flavours, hence the restriction :)

Hahaha I'm a robber :)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's okay the cops say it's not true.

https://twitter.com/MPSHackney/status/1423774574945124352

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

This marshmallow flavoured cider I bought tastes like fuckin jelly babies. Just because I'm an infant baby and want sweet things I am being *punished*. Who taste tested this? How is this marshmallow flavour?

I'm going to have to learn to enjoy beer at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The brother's toffee apple stuff is... weird, don't think it tastes like toffee but it's certainly sweet.

It is Brothers, yeah.

Listen I don't really drink and I have no tolerance for bitterness. It had a nice bottle. I don't hate it, I'm just cross it isn't what I wanted.