Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Twitter is abuzz today with this perfect London class divide microcosm. People who don't own the handful of multimillion pound penthouses (and merely rent or own 'affordable' units costing a mere £700k) in these blocks have to look out of their windows and watch the super rich splash about on a giant platform made of hubris. I hear it's unsinkable.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1399678383727034369?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1400079678635876352?s=19

Pretty surprising how high it is in the older age groups, considering how big the MMR scare was.

This time around refusing the jab puts themselves at risk, rather than their children.

e: Why is 16-29 one giant bracket when the rest are in four year intervals?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like there has to be a huge number of over 70s who just have no contact with anyone and no way of getting to a vaccination centre even if they wanted to.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Szmitten posted:

lol bollocks that half of 30-34s already got one in that brief window. Mine still isn't scheduled for two weeks.

Anecdotal but most of the early to mid 30s I know have had it. The wait after booking is a few days at most, at least in my area.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(Mind you, I'm not totally sure what 'catching up' means - catching up with who or what?)

They need to catch up to the arbitrary milestones that will determine the next 70 years of their lives for reasons.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I remember spending a lot of time learning simultaneous equations.

It's on the pile of things I remember knowing about but don't actually remember, along with sin/cos/tan and differentials.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

You won't be carrying a calculator with you every day when you're older :mad:

Even then a scientific calculator wasn't much bigger than a modern smartphone so a sufficiently nerdy person absolutely could carry a calculator around.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Financial literacy has been deliberately omitted from school curriculums.

Along with British history outside the Tudors, Victorians and our stunning war victories.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

blunt posted:

Nobody "gets away" with this, it is noted :cheersdoge:

The trick is to hold off until at least a few people have left or some people have had enough and everyone's drunk enough not to notice that you've got the cheapest round in.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Prosecco successfully replaced both champagne and white wine for a lot of people. I don't know how. It's fine for a glass or two.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Places that make you order via app post-Covid have done wonders for the group pub experience. More often than not people will just order a drink as and when they want one since it takes seconds to do.

It's probably very bad for pub staff though since Tim Martin was doing it years ago.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Welp:

https://twitter.com/LawrenceGilder/status/1400511287059157001

7-day average really isn't looking good at this point, we're back on an exponential curve upwards right now.

poo poo like this really makes me feel like this isn't going to end, even if that's obviously not the case.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If anything is going to finally negatively affect Johnson, I think if June 21st doesn't happen, this might be it.

The man told everyone they could have a normal Christmas and yanked it away with less than a week's notice. Even that didn't dent the fucker.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Borrovan posted:

Over a year since I had Covid, it was barely a nuisance but I still get out of breath walking to the shop despite exercising ~10 hours a week, no idea what the vaccine does about that

Fwiw I'm 99% sure I'm in the exact same boat and the two doses of the vaccine haven't stopped it.

namesake posted:

Fair enough on the vaccine effectiveness, but the forecasts are still expecting thousands of deaths because the opening up is getting ahead of the vaccination program.

Call me an ignorant hussy but who are these dying people? Everyone with a vaguely high mortality rate has been vaccinated now - obviously there'd be some deaths but I'd have thought no-where near as many as there were pre-vaccine.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crispix posted:

i won't be around to be embarrassed about people e.g. having to clear out my dildo drawer

probably going in the skip bag rather than charity shop

Share the wealth. Bundle them with Camrath's fudge.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I'm getting major "if you can't handle our toxic workplace culture you can simply resign" vibes from that. Very much missing the point.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Leap year days should be bank holidays. What's the point otherwise?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Every day there's a different source leaking a different story. Johnson obviously hasn't decided yet and probably won't until 5.45pm on Monday.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

As someone who was pretty anxious about it last year I really am beginning to get the point where I think the mental health outcomes of further lockdowns might well outweigh the damage done by another modest spike amongst a mostly vaccinated population. If we'd gone full strict shutdown with no exceptions for a bit like China did in wuhan, that would have been fair enough, and we'd have been through it and back to normal by now like they are. Our approach of intermittent confused, half arsed lockdowns with a million exceptions is basically pointless as long term strategy. You simply cannot put an entire country in house arrest for years on end without serious consequences, especially for people who live alone or in lovely situations, and that does need to be considered and weighed up.

I'm kind of with this. I get the feeling that Johnson won't go backwards under any circumstances. We're mostly vaccinated now and he had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the last lockdown (when people were dying in the thousands). So pubs, restaurants and stadiums aren't likely to close their doors again unless things go spectacularly wrong, and even then it'll be too late like it has been every other time. So you start to wonder what the point of the rest of it is.

From a purely selfish perspective my wedding was postponed for the third time and we picked a date very soon after the 21st not realising we'd lucked into the promised 'end of lockdown' date. The last month or so has been utterly poo poo, basically having no idea what we will or won't be allowed to do on our wedding day and not knowing which - if any - of the plans we've made will actually amount to anything. Walking past pubs full of hundreds of people while we may not be able to have more than 30 even if we moved it all outdoors is maddening.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Borrovan posted:

I'm feeling very conflicted about gb news. On the one hand, I want to see them embarrass themselves. On the other, literally the entire point is to generate clickbaitey clips of right wingers embarrassing themselves so they can claim they're triggering snowflakes, the actual best result is just that nobody cares enough to even laugh.

I guess the opening night went well on that front, I can't even see anyone sharing clips for lols, just the odd screengrab. I think maybe part of the reason why Piers Morgan got so many clicks for his GMB nonsense was the campiness of it all, I think this lot might be too earnest to actually harness that. Hopefully, anyway.

Yeah the best result would be if it was quietly closed because no one watched it. It was aggravating to see every single Twitter leftist giving it the oxygen of publicity yesterday.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I got my first dose of AZ a few weeks before they decided to stop giving it to the youngs. Wish I hadn't had it so early now. :v:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lindsay Hoyle trying to muscle in on Bercow's legacy by telling Johnson off like a child on live TV.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

On my doormat today; hey I tell you I'd not have been happy if I'd got all the way to the depot before realising.

Cheeky fuckers.

Does this work on anyone? If I feel like someone's trying to trick me in any way with their advertising (even if it's a cheeky joke) I tend to bin it and vow never to use the cunts.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I love a spreadsheet but I hate doing anything practical outside of the spreadsheet so reading the meter manually sounds like a bad time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bump_fn posted:

make bercow leader god knows he couldn’t be worse

Honestly not a bad shout. He actually has a personality and is known for publicly dressing down the Tories. If nothing else he'd actually attempt to oppose them every now and then.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

keep punching joe posted:

Lol mcafee spent the last year telling everyone that US officials had been threatening him, and that he would never kill himself.

Exactly what you'd say if you had a plan to top yourself and wanted to gently caress poo poo up. :eng101:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Don't be a curtain twitcher unless someone's in immediate danger or it's 3am.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

kingturnip posted:

Hancock going at least makes it less likely that Dido Harding will be front-and-centre to asset-strip the NHS.

Is that less likely under Javid? Seems like it would be just as if not more likely.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Of all the bad things Starmer's Labour has done, the absolute ghoulishness of pushing a dead woman's sister into the limelight purely to guilt trip people into voting for them may be the worst, just for what it tells us of how nakedly uncaring they are of anything but their own greed.

Does she have any political experience whatsoever? LinkedIn says she's been a personal trainer for the last 15 years.

Not to say MP candidates need political experience but it really feels like they asked her to do it purely because of her name rather than her being the right person for the job or actually having any interest in doing it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

kingturnip posted:

I think the loonies that frontbencher is talking about and the loonies the Tories are talking about are two very different groups of people

I'm just amazed that ostensibly serious people still use the word 'loony' as an insult in TYOOL 2021.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

forkboy84 posted:

It's a pretty fun word to say

It feels like one of those things that's not really on though, and should just be avoided altogether given that it was traditionally used to stigmatise mental health problems.

If it was still in common use by anyone other than elderly tories I imagine it would be about as acceptable as the bad R and S.

stev fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 28, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Perfect Element posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ndroidApp_Other

Brewdog prove themselves to be full of poo poo, yet again.

Can't help but feel that if they so go public the shares are gonna bomb like hell.

quote:

It said the valuation was “reasonable based on multiple factors – including the price we paid for its manufacture, the constituent metal and quality of the final product, the standard retail markup and the rarity and uniqueness of the cans.”

So they literally just decided it was worth £15k because they guesstimated that that was the value of a collectible novelty can. ie "someone might conceivably pay that much for it".

I feel like this should count as competition fraud but I'm sure there's a loophole to make them legally sound on Normal Island.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Borrovan posted:

Saw someone whose name I can't remember (she's Indian I think?) on the telly last year who's normally really funny, but no, the telly got a full set of "my husband" jokes & it was bad.

If you mean Sindhu Vee she seems likeable but I cannot find her funny for the life of me. I saw her at a comedy club night just before she broke onto the panel show circuit and she bombed horribly.

There's loads of really good female comedians but as you say they're never allowed to get quite as famous as the men. I think Comedy Central and Dave have just started piloting panel shows presented by women, a few years ago that was unthinkable.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

josh04 posted:

You have to take a Tom Allen. The British public will continue to receive Tom Allen until morale improves.

He makes Professional Bake Off nigh unwatchable for me. You can always tell that Bake Off contestants find the host banter irritating when they're trying to concentrate, but he just comes off as nails on chalkboard. If I were a baker I'd be kicked off the show for screaming in his face after a few hours.

I wonder how Andy Parsons got picked up by Kerb in the first place. Were they just desperate for talent at the time or does he know someone who knows someone?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like the honeymoon one and I'm going to tell my FIL that it's definitely true.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

learnincurve posted:

This is a separate episode in which they sing a song to their slum landlord in which they indicate he is the best,
Richard Ayoade voices Onion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJWUar1yyOc

The gently caress is this.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What happened to Dylan Moran anyway? He was in basically every British film and sitcom made in the 2000s but I've not seen him in years.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm being a little edgy lol

Shaun of the Dead was pretty good but I don't think it's quite as good as people make out. Hot Fuzz I just really didn't like for some reason, maybe I need to give it another go. World's End passed me by, should probably watch it.

World's End is pretty widely acknowledged to be the worst one by far. I think it does some interesting stuff and some parts are really tragic, but it's not particularly funny or memorable.

SotD and Hot Fuzz are both GOAT films though and I can't think of much at all that hasn't aged well with them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Josef bugman posted:

Also Worlds End isn't great. It's still great cinematography, but the story feels a touch thin on occasion. Could have done with more time to sand the edges off.

I also think it suffers from spending too much time in the oven/development hell. SotD came three years after Spaced, and Hot Fuzz came another three years later. Then Pegg, Frost and Wright were all famous enough to be busy with more profitable, high profile gigs and it was six years before World's End got made.

It just sort of felt like they'd lost the momentum that they'd spent a decade building up and the magic was sort of gone. I'd still like them to work together again one day though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Black pudding is nice. :shrug: