Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Scam Likely posted:

Just finished this SFF PC. Thank you thread for dissuading me from trying to stick a watercooled 4090 in this tiny case.

this is nuts and also dope lol great work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
That’s the poster's current build but your solution is also correct

Baram just grab the 5800x3d and IMO you’re good to go don’t need to change anything else really

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
im the distinctive era-specific yellowing of the cable sheathes

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
do not buy an intel video card, posters

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Where does a 6750xt fit in the price curve these days, is it I dunno 50 bucks better than a 6700?

I keep seeing like single percent bumps in performance for 30-40w more power usage and mehhhh

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

PCs made in the 2010s make for excellent hand-me-downs.

for sure, I gave my BIL my old 4670k/RX580 platform for his shop and it's still cruising.

hell I am pretty sure the i5-750 box I built in 2009 is still chugging along somewhere in another goon's literal basement.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
so I have a leftover case from... some time in the past, that has never been used. it's a Coolermaster Masterbox Pro 5, and I'm just kinda concerned about heat management. It has a solid top panel and the one rear fan.

I'm gonna build around a 7700X / 4070 I think, so getting a new case is not a big extra expense relative to the project if it's gonna keep my poo poo frosty. Should I bother with the legacy one?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah I can't remember why it's in the basement lol. maybe something my brother in law left behind when we helped him move.

I have a 15-year-old CM690+ that has housed 3 different builds now and is better for working in / airflow than that thing looks like.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
well they'll catch the hair before it gets into your componentry so, sure!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Krime posted:

Should I expect decent deals this week with Prime week

Almost never, no

Newegg possibly :)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

change my name posted:

Newegg has some really good monitor deals going on right now but that appears to be it

I was wrongo with this post, Newegg fantastech sale starts today!

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 10, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Unless there's another sale I'm missing, Newegg's Fantastech sale started today.

huh, no poo poo, coulda sworn it was the 13th ANYWAY ty for the correction

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
saw a 6700xt at $299 and that's a crazy value if you're not All About Raytracing

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

NomNomNom posted:

Sup microcenter 7700x buddy. I chose some cheaper storage (Inland 2tb) and opted for the RX 6700xt deal on Amazon

:hfive: there are dozens of us

dozens!!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah having a scale to insure them against the expensivity of the parts they're installing means they aren't confident they can do it correctly without breaking something. do not go to there, imo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just quoting as I think my questions have been drowned out.

upgrade your video card, dude. holy poo poo.

between a faster SSD and a 16->32GB update you're kinda fiddling at margins regardless and none of those things stop Windows from animating adequately (lmao)

as far as rising prices for those things go, I mean, you buy what you need when you need it. it's not in dispute that SSD/RAM prices are very low right now, speculation regarding their future is just that.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Maed posted:

Hey all I'm looking to upgrade my processor/mobo but I'm not sure with what. I currently have a Ryzen 5 2600X in an ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS. My current GPU is a RTX 3060 ti and I'm not looking to upgrade that for a bit so I just want a processor that can keep up well with it. Mobo wise I want to make sure it has good wifi and bluetooth as I'd like to game with it from the couch ~10 feet away with a bluetooth controller. I mostly do 1080/144hz or 1440/60hz gaming though mostly games a few years old and am looking to spend less than $500. I have no loyalty to AMD or Intel so either works. Please help I feel too old and out of it to figure this out myself.

how Microcenter Adjacent are you because this bundle fits your needs and leaves you power to spare if you'd like to eventually upgrade your video card next generation or wahtever

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Maed posted:

ooo that looks perfect but the Brooklyn Microcenter is out of it and shipping isn't available :*(

Yonkers isn't THAT much farther away, but I guess it depends on how you value your time.

also depending on how much other transit struggle you prefer and if you're OK with the bus you can take the 4 up to Woodlawn (heck or the 2 to Nereid Ave) and then hop on a bus. but those components will basically fit in a large messenger bag / easily a backpack so it's not like you'd be Printer Hauling your way back.

oh uh, you'll also need a third party CPU cooler.

slightly less value but the lower power combo would save you the money you need to tag a cooler on if the $500 is a hard ceiling.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
that’s a chatgpt response, don’t worry about it

It was absolutely about to be a crisis lol but companies won’t tell you about that they’ll just lie and say whatever it takes to get your money

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Unfortunately the closest Micro Center seems to be in Atlanta which would be at least a 4 hour trip. Can you not order online from those guys? Also I'm fine staying at 1080p for now, and just focusing on the MB/CPU/RAM.

the reason they are so cheap is because they don't have to pay for a huge logistics operation

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yeah don’t just jiggle em either fully remove them and plug them back in

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lol so I bought a bunch of parts and then went out of town, got back just in time to file a return because Amazon sent me a 2.5" SATA 870 QVO drive instead of the 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe drive that I ordered

check your boxes folks. it would've been at most a $20 mistake but gently caress if I'm doing any of beezy's work for him

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

neogeo0823 posted:

Fair enough, yeah. To preemptively answer those questions, my budget would be "cheaper is better", on the grounds that this is a sudden thing and it's not like I planned on having this money available. But I also know that a quick googling of the various cards I posted directly about showed they were like $400, so I guess around there, give or take? Usage is pretty much entirely games, like Minecraft, Deep Rock Galactic, Death's Door, Hades, Dwarf Fortress, Factorio, and similar. Monitor resolution is 1920 x 1080 at 1080p, 60hz.

I play those games on that resolution and refresh with your current processor, and a 2070 regular

Get a 6700xt or a 6800 on extreme discount. You could also just get a 3060ti if you’re not gonna be looking to a bigger monitor at any time soon. Or a 4060 if your priority isn’t strictly value/$ and you want a leap in efficiency.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 8, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I bought a 2TB Western Digital SN850X non-heatsink version. Did I do it wrong? It's in my PC, not a PS5 or anything. Be Quiet 500DX case if that's relevant.

Is it working?

Then you're fine? Are you worried about the heat

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
sorry by "bigger" I mean "higher resolution" because the physical size of the monitor has no relation to your video card needs :)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Some food for thought, I know the 6700 XT is often mentioned as a bang for buck card and the going rate is around £339. However I’ve seen that the RTX 3060 is now going for around £269.

From what I’ve read the 6700 is the faster card, but is it £70 faster?

faster and 4GB more RAM

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

kedo posted:

A question about video cards. My current system is well due to be replaced, and I’m planning on getting the best mobo/processor I can afford within my budget ($2k), so they will hopefully last me quite awhile and allow me to upgrade my GPU and RAM a couple times over the next ~7 years like I’ve done with my current machine.

This is my current GPU which I bought a few years ago. As a starting point for a build, I’m looking at this on PC Part Picker.

If I were to buy all of those components EXCEPT the GPU (and use my old one) and the solid state drive (and use my existing SATA solid state drives), how close do ya’ll think I could get to running current AAA games on high to ultra settings at reasonable but obviously not blisteringly fast frame rates?

at what resolution? 2080 holds up well but not superbly so just offhand you'd probly be fine at 1080p but not 1440p

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
a $500 card won't get you there no

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Josh Lyman posted:

Speaking of airflow, I've been trying to figure out if I should add any fans to the 2x 140mm stock on my Fractal North since I strongly prefer lower noise as long as there's no thermal throttling on my 7900X; my TUF 4070 OC has an overkill HSF.

I had an old 120mm Lian Li fan sitting around, and by old I mean it might be 20 years old. I had the case fans plus the fans on my Peerless Assassin set to max out at 65% at 70C which puts my idle CPU temp at 50C.

I played about 30 min of Diablo 4 before and after installing the 120mm rear exhaust and the max temp was 81C with vs 83C without. Not a huge difference, and obviously I can ramp up the fan curves by 5% without significantly increasing noise (lowers my idle by 2C), but it does lead me to wonder if I should get newer/better fans. I suppose since things are working fine, there's no need to get anything, especially since just buying 1x new 120mm isn't really cost effective, and I can't exactly buy a mixed pack of 2x140mm and 1x120mm Noctuas.

imho you're way overestimating the amount of change this will make. don't worry about it, or try your 5% fan curve bump. beyond a certain threshold, changing the air out faster will not help your cooler(s) radiate better.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

spunkshui posted:

It sounds like he had no exhaust fan in the back of the computer though and I don’t think that is a good idea nor do I think it’s a good idea to run with a 20 year old fan which is going to be louder than brand new fan.

oh, yeah hadn't realized the default setup didn't include an Out

grack posted:

Get a pair of Arctic P12 PWM fans, replace the the fans that Thermalright ships with the Peerless Assassin. They'll be a bit quieter under load than the stock fans.

Use one or both of the Thermalright fans as an exhaust.

Cheap, simple, should lower overall system noise.

I like this plan

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Josh Lyman posted:

Double check that you actually have the deal in your Amex since it's a target offer (I don't have it).

same or else I woulda used it! drat you... financial algorithms!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Fractal Design Torrent is currently on sale for $50 off: https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-torrent-compact-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352149

$99.99 for the normal glass side panel version and $89.99 for the solid panel one, $11.99 shipping. That makes it by far the best value in this price range.

Torrent Compact (not regular Torrent) to be clear, but yes! Great case

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm currently running a 12th Gen i5 12600K processor but I'm looking at the current 13th Gen i7 13700K and its on sale for about $100 off, down to $474 CAD. Would that be a large enough discount to make the upgrade worthwhile or am I better off holding out with my current hardware until later down the road?

is your current rig inadequate to the tasks you're demanding of it? then maybe

if not then no absolutely not lol $500 moonbux for just a cpu upgrade is absurd to me

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i am reminded again how harrowing it is to crank a processor onto a socket

first time builders do not be afraid. it is very scary but there's a surprising amount of force involved

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just remember sitting it until you can feel it go into the socket, and then pushing down the holder or whatever it's called to secure it to the board. That was one of the lesser annoying parts of my last build.

Back in the "pins on cpu" days it was way less spooky

However I will say that the peerless assassin was VERY easy to attach / mount on an am5 socket. Way less fiddly than the last couple builds I've made

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Except for the whole "oh my god if I drop it the pins could bend or break off and I could be screwed" part.

Sure but that's a skill issue rather than a seemingly terrifying amount of leverage one :P

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So my build booted right up, I've flashed the bios and all is good

Except uh, cpu core idle at 52C is OK for a 7700X right? I've heard they run hot.

... But that seems a little too hot to me. Peerless Assassin Fan is at 30%.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Yudo posted:

How hot does it get under load? Edit: and I mean how hot does it get playing a game (vs. Prime95, which isn't very informative in this situation given how zen 4 boosts). Zen 4 runs very hot, and the 7700x pushes a lot of watts through one tiny ccd. What is the ambient temperature?

Regardless, 52c idle isn't alarming. Enjoy your new PC.

yeah I pulled up at the BIOS seeing that number and fiddling with the fan controller vs fan hub option in my Torrent

I'm sure it'll be fine but I'll keep an eye on.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Wibla posted:

Do a few runs of Cinebench back to back and see where the temps and scores land after a few minutes. That's more interesting than 52C idle. The CPU will boost hard until it hits 95C, then it will throttle to keep it at 95C, note down the scores from the first 3 runs and compare them to what others get.

scores are in line, 19.5k average on multi-core over 6 tests. It's warm in this room, 25C before the test started. Idle is down to 48C now too, maybe the ~Haxcker Thermal Paste~ cooked in or something.

I'm probably gonna dump the "all five case fans follow CPU fan curve" strategy that the onboard fan hub locks me into because jeez does it get loud, just a super unnecessary amount of air moving through empty space.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
electricity is... like a KIND of heat.

alternatively, there's gonna be a lot more than heat sunk if that's where the paste ended up...