Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Doing a little research into your board, it looks like the PCIE 2 x4 lanes on that model are supplied by the Z97 chipset itself and won't interfere with the CPU's PCIE 3 x16 lanes, which would be my biggest concern with doing this (popping the M2 card in and suddenly having your GPU's lanes cut in half). The board also has UEFI booting so you could probably put your OS on an M2, though it'd be running through PCIE 2 so your M2 would be limited to a "modest" 4x peak read boost over SATA.

The biggest thing against doing this would be that the performance boost going from SATA3 SSDs to M2s is only really perceptible in very limited circumstances - reboots and full system scans are faster, managing huge project files is smoother, system operation is ever-so-slightly snappier, but it's nothing like the jump from HDDs to SSDs. I'd probably get a smaller capacity, higher quality PCIE gen 3 M2 (like a P31 Gold or SN750) as a boot drive and spend the difference on some cheap SATA SSDs.

e:f,b

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

It's not that much of a bargain over something new and retail, especially if you're not using the case or the power supply. I'd also want a different cooler on that setup since the 3700 is a little much for the stock slab.

Consider right now that you can get an AM4 B550 motherboard, a Ryzen 5600, a CPU tower cooler and 4x8gb kit of DDR4 3600 for about the same $450 - and you'd have a newer, nicer toy to play with to boot!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

While I'm in the neighborhood and half on the subject, I'd like to put in a good word for ID-Cooling's CPU tower coolers. I've got three of them - an SE-224-XT 120mm tower cooling an i7-3770, an SE-914-XT 92mm tower cooling an i7-6700, and an SE-207-XT 120mm dual tower cooling an i7-8700k - and they've all been well built coolers that installed easily and worked great for the price point. They're revising / refreshing their lineup with the LGA 1700 release, and it looks like the SE-214-XT has replaced the SE-224-XT as their $20 budget tower with the biggest differences being a nice plastic facade on the top and an ARGB fan as standard.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

The 6600 XT and the 2070 Super are close enough in performance that I'd honestly go with the card you've already got and put some of that money towards a Z690 motherboard (so you can get all the benefits of the unlocked K-suffix CPU) and a beefier power supply

Edit: you'll also definitely want an aftermarket CPU cooler even if you don't intend on doing a lot of overclocking, the stock coolers can technically keep the chip from resolving to slag but they're loud, annoying and ineffective enough to cause throttling at times.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

njsykora posted:

If you're only going to be playing Minecraft I'd use the 2070S instead of buying a new card, you could also save some money by dropping the CPU to the 12400. Also yes you do probably still want an aftermarket cooler, AMD's coolers are now decent but loud but Intel's are still not great and a basic tower cooler isn't expensive at all.

This is also a good point - going with the K chip and a juicier motherboard would give you more potential down the road if you wanted to keep the system relevant a few more years, but if expectations have been set with an iMac and the need is just "this boots up and plays games without hassle" then a non-K i5 and a B660 board would do the same job for cheaper all around

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

So, building a bit of an odd computer.

I do work at a local improv comedy club. We have a AV PC that is really showing it's age.

Our priorities are this:
I want it to run well without a lot of hitching (current PC is a nightmare)
I would like to get a good number of years out of it, at least 5
I need it to support at least 3 mini DLink outputs
I want it to fit into a small space in our AV area, with a power button on the front of the case
I would prefer if it wasn't super loud.

I do not care at all if it is good at playing games.

This is the build I'm currently looking at:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WNwzk9

Am I on the right track? Have I overshot/undershot anywhere?

By AV PC do you mean something that's driving a projector / sound system for the stage, or do you mean something used for multimedia editing? Also is the mini displayport a hard limit or could you make do with adapters?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Projector/sound/video for the stage, we have multiple display monitors visible to the audience and others visible to the person in the booth.

I can PROBABLY switch up the displayports but the previous guy has his system already set and I am not currently in a mood to fix any of his bullshit, I'd like to take the old computer out and put in the new one.

Moved some stuff around, currently looking at this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TNyVDq

You could downgrade the CPU to the 12400 and still have more overhead than you'd know what to do with while saving about a hundred bucks, hell you could probably go with a 12100F but since from your description, the elegant low profile Noctua cooler and the 2 x 16 3200mhz C16 ram kit you've picked out I'm digging the theme is "if you're gonna go to town, might as well go in a Lincoln" so the 12400 would fit the bill

I wholly get not wanting to get your fingerprints on someone else's cable crime, so if you're gonna go that route consider trawling ebay for used Quadro cards - the same P400 can be had for sub-eighty bucks if you shop around

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I just saw the GN video on my feed, those Fractal Pop cases have gotten me actually excited for a new PC case release which is not something that I was aware was in my capacity

3 RGB fans stock, a variety of colored interiors, good airflow, plenty of space for drives, a built-in stash drawer and even 5.25 support for the totally brokebrained among us, all for ninety bucks - it seems like such a great choice for any budget build

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Most dual tower coolers eat up enough space that they're bound to have some degree of RAM interference, but in most cases it can be resolved by just nudging the fan up a smidge - this does mean that your cool RGBs on the RAM get obscured by a huge black fan, though

The only dual tower I'm aware of that doesn't have this issue is the Scythe Fuma 2 (with the rev.B model coming with LGA 1700 compatibility out of the box) as the heat pipe design tilts back and both the fans and towers being asymmetrical

e:f,b

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

PSU is a 850W BITFENIX Whisper M 80 + Gold Modular, motherboard is an ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-P D4.... and I'm gonna be honest, how do I know it has an antenna hooked up? Because I can't see anything like that on the old or new PC.

There should be two coax couplers on the back of the motherboard I/O that you screw an antenna array into for both bluetooth and wifi

edit: the internet tells me that the antenna should look like a black plastic folding blade, check to see if there's anything like it rattling around in a box somewhere

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

My last computer was a Phenom II X4 and a 750 Ti! What a little soldier it was, until the motherboard caps started boiling :allears:

While I'm not sure about Windows 11, there's enough workarounds in Windows 10 Pro that you can avoid making a Microsoft account, remove the ads / dashboards / notifications / bloat, disable various telemetry services, etc, etc. It's how I have mine set up, and I managed it by following some easily-Googleable guides. I think the worst of it is just flipping some switches in the registry and setting some user account permissions. Note that I succumbed to Windows 10 only after trying and failing for hours to get a successful Windows 7 install recognized on an NVMe M.2, so I get it.

Since the 750 Ti you've got is still working I'd go with that and a 5600 (or 5600X if it's the same price - the performance difference is miniscule but the cost difference often isn't) over a 5600G, especially since the 5600G is kinda neutered crap as a CPU. The current GPU market is better than it's been for a while, but at the same time what that means is you can get an RX 6600 for $300 and that's about the lowest-end card worth spending any money on. The 750 Ti is on Maxwell so it'll keep getting driver updates as long as Nvidia keeps supporting the GTX 900 series cards, so if you're just looking to squeeze as much life out of the card as you can, you've got time before it's totally unsupported.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

ampersandy posted:

I'm thinking that my best option for now is to get a new, comparable card with a budget in the $100-$200 range, but probably closer to $150, which is almost exactly what I spent in 2011 ($160). I'd prefer AMD over Nvidia and it would be nice if it wasn't as power-hungry as the 6850, but maybe I'm asking too much...

What you're describing is the RX 6400, which is a $160 AMD card that draws about a third of the wattage of your old card. The biggest downside would be that the card operates on 4 lanes of PCIe because it's running on 4th gen - since your system is 2nd gen PCIe this means the card will be severely choked on bandwidth, but if you're just using it for monitor out then that shouldn't be an issue.

Your other options are to either scour ebay for something old and cheap, or build an entirely new system. If the 2500k still suits your use case and you're trying to save every penny then an old ebay'd card might be your best, you can get an RX 550 for like eighty bucks for instance.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

galenanorth posted:

I've never upgraded the cooler before. Are there any CPU coolers which you would recommend for socket 1155 (Intel 2nd generation) chips?

The Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 is on sale for fifteen bucks if you need something for cooling a 2300 and your case has the clearance (or if anyone else reading has a lower TDP socket 115X chip and needs an upgrade from the stock cooler, for that matter)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

From the looks of it, the air has neither anywhere to come from nor anywhere to go. You're sucking in fresh air from an askew fan butting up against the power supply with only partial coverage, and your exhaust is blowing straight into the back of your GPU - the exhaust fan in the back of your case is probably doing more to move heat away from the heatsink than either of the fans on the tower. It should really be oriented so that the back of the tower is pointing towards the case exhaust.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Even if it's a few degrees on the toasty side, you're not going to slag the chip just getting Windows up and running a few games - the CPU would throttle long before then

If you're bouncing off 90c while gaming and your performance starts going in the pot, then yeah, you might need a remount

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

The most harrowing experience I've had recently working on a PC: installing the first gen Hyper 212 Evo

The second most harrowing: remounting the same Hyper 212 Evo

Whoever at Cooler Master that's responsible for that mounting kit needs to get trapped back in their book on the Myst island

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

For Intel, probably the 12400 / 12400F

For AMD, probably the 5600 / 5600X

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I wish the SFF / USFF half-height form factor that the big OEMs use would have been picked up in some degree in the enthusiast space, I get why the overlap of "decently performant" "excessively compact" and "thermally acceptable" barely exists but I still wish there were more options other than hacking apart old Dells, HPs and Lenovos for spare parts and using sentences like "it's not that hard to solder on a proprietary Dell fan connector" and "the RX 6400 isn't that bad of a value, really, considering"

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I have a PNY CS900 that I use as a download dump drive and it's the shittiest SSD I've ever used by a wide margin, with incredibly poor performance and constant hitching while doing even the most basic file browsing, and it's soured me on using their storage media from here on out

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Then I have to get rid of my AM4 motherboard! That’s no help at all!

The 5800X3D doesn't come with a cooler, just another perk of god's favorite chip

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Oooohhhh that's a good deal if you're building a new mid tier PC and will be buying a ton of poo poo anyways, and also it's a Yeston card so the backplate is - mandatorily - insane

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

apologies if i asked this before already but what's the issue with buying pre-builts from bigger companies?

They use a lot of proprietary parts that can't be replaced with anything off the shelf when they break, they also use the cheapest possible components and a lot of them are repurposed from business division machines so the breaking is "when" and not "if" - build quality and cable management also tend to be pretty poor but when it's a hunk of poo poo to start with it's hard to critique zip tie placement

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

My experience is that the motherboards start getting flaky before anything else, and they're always in a weird shape that was only ever released for that one make and model of system. Just yesterday my HP EliteDesk started barking morse code at me after a restart because apparently "the embedded controller has timed out waiting for BIOS to return from memory initialization" which I think is ancient druidic for "you'd better also budget a new power supply for when you replace this motherboard because it's proprietary too."

Wibla posted:

I'm going to assume he's referring to normal sized towers built, not (u)SFF's.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an uSFF for 2D/productivity only use, and I have a lenovo m93p running proxmox in my apartment, it sips power and makes zero noise.

Yeah I'm specifically talking about full-sized enthusiast towers, which is what I'd figure most people reading this thread would be buying - the home building market for USFF / MFF stuff is depressingly sparse

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Ex-corporate desktops are a dime a dozen, I'm sure you can get an i7-8700T for a couple bucks more if you want more CPU. If you ever need a desktop without a dedicated GPU, they're the way to go.

Yeah, it's hard to overstate the value of old office PCs if you just need something that turns over and gets you where you're going. I got an old barebones SFF Optiplex hull on ebay for like thirty bucks and between it, some leftover DDR3, a budget SSD, and an i5 I found in the parking lot of a Little Caesars, I've got a handy extra PC that can handle a lot of less demanding tasks.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

The 3070 Ti isn't that much of an uplift over a standard 3070 and you could save about a hundred buckaroos there, and at the same time I'd bump up the NVMe to something higher quality if it's gonna be your primary drive

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Seams posted:

Likewise can I just plug my storage ssd in the new build with all the games etc already on it or do I need to wipe it first and reinstall everything when it's in the new PC?

I've had mixed results with this but it's worth a shot - Steam plays nice every time, but I've had the Epic game service refuse to acknowledge old installed games until I re-downloaded them

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

It's afraid... it's afraid!!!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

So many of the keycaps on the outside edges aren't even the right size for the spaces they're covering, as though it wasn't already spitting in god's face by existing at all

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Save your breath, the keyboard police are already on their way :colbert:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I've been daydreaming about using the Enthoo Pro 2 as a home server for a while now, including installing an ITX AM1 board with external DC power in the second PC slot on the power supply shroud because [here is where the justification would go if there was one]

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

This abysmal thing has been floating around Newegg since Hector was a pup, I swear

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

lih posted:

-the 3060 is not a good value GPU. get a 6600XT or 6600 instead, they're both cheaper - if you only have a 1080p 60Hz monitor and aren't intending to get anything better, there's no reason to get anything better than a 6600 really

You can also get a 6700 XT for around (or even below!) $400 if you think you're gonna step up your monitor down the road

edit: just saw the monitor post, a 6700 XT would let you flex those extremely high refresh rates more, no stepping up necessary :)

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 15, 2022

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

There's been a lot of heavily discounted AMD cards on Newegg, especially MSI cards with $20 rebates and promo codes - worth keeping an eye on them if you're building a new system imminently. Some examples:

6650 XT for $275
6650 XT with RGB for $280
6700 XT for $360
6750 XT with bigass heatsink and RGB for $410

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I'd go with something other than a 212 Evo for the cooler - the main advantage it used to have was price, and at this point that advantage is gone. I would go with one of these over a 212 right now, depending on budget / aesthetics.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

It looks like there's ample mountings in the front and the top for fans, which then sit about six millimeters from solid metal sheets

The thin rib of ventilation along the edges is... optimistic, maybe even a little charming

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

This is what I was leaning towards suggesting tbh.

Yeah I concur - though a 1660 Super would definitely be a worthwhile upgrade, an RX 6600 would be a further boost over that and could probably be had at a similar price soon

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Then do I have the case for you

(enthoo pro 2. it's loving massive)

I've been wanting to build a gaudy, ostentatious, truly vile dual system home server in this thing since it launched - easily my most lusted after case :allears:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Space Friend posted:

Looking for general advice on not loving up the basics of part selection, satisfactory analogues to components that are price neutral or shave off some pennies from the final price tag. Thanks in advance!
I'll quote myself from earlier about the 212,

DoombatINC posted:

I'd go with something other than a 212 Evo for the cooler - the main advantage it used to have was price, and at this point that advantage is gone. I would go with one of these over a 212 right now, depending on budget / aesthetics.

I'd also go with something from the RX 6600 series for a GPU since they can usually be had in the same price range but are a much better and newer card overall

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Vasler posted:

I've had my Ryzen 5 3600x on a Asus Prime x570-P motherboard in a Meshify C case and I'm finding the stock cooler is getting quite loud and not cooling as effectively as it has in the past. I'm also running an EVGA 3080 video card with 32 GB or memory.

What's a good heatsink and fan to put in an assembly like this? If I were to purchase one? I'm a bit concerned as this case isn't really that big.

The Meshify C seems to have a decent amount of clearance and the 3600X doesn't get too spicy, so a basic four pipe 120mm tower like this should do the deed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Either would work, I'd go with whichever you can get for cheaper - the 212 Evo you linked used to be the go-to cheap tower for these kinds of applications but it got weirdly expensive in the US a while ago (like, $50 when it used to be $20) so I tend to recommend Thermalright and ID-Cooling equivalents. Other brands to check out would be Deepcool, Be Quiet and Noctua - I'm not keyed in on pricing in Canada, so you might be able to get a better deal regionally on one of them. The Meshify C seems to accommodate a tower up to around 170mm high, so anything under that should be fine.

grack posted:

I wouldn't suggest the Cooler Master 212 these days as it's an older design and the mounting mechanism isn't that great.

It actually got refreshed recently - the V2's mounting mechanism is a big improvement over the lament configuration poo poo you had to go through with the original