Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Pope Guilty posted:

Any tips for a Sorcery-user to kill the Death Rite Bird in the Consecrated Snowfield? I've tried different spells and different tactics and the best I've done so far is staying on Torrent, keeping a bit of distance, and putting shard spirals into him as best I can, but the ghostflame is really hard to stay out of and I can either be unable to dodge his big overhand attack with his sword because Torrent can't iframe out of it or I can be on foot and unable to get out of the ghostflame he spreads on the ground. What's a better approach?

I just spawned it, ran up on the cliff and reigned fireballs on its head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

bear named tators posted:

I’m at level 76 and just beat Morgott and I guess I probably have like 30 levels to go before I can reasonably whip the Fire Giant? Any recommendations on what to hit up in the meantime? I think straight grinding that much will burn me out.

Also any favorite STR/FTH weapons/gear/spells/etc?

I'm a high FTH/STR build still from my first playthrough. When I sort my fully upgraded weapons by attack power it's Black Blade (from Maliketh) > Golden Halberd > Gargoyle's Blackblade > Gargoyle's Black Halberd > Blasphemous Blade > Starscourge Greatsword(s) > Golden Order Greatsword > Nightrider Glaive > bunch of other random stuff.

Drain 001 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 13, 2022

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Pope Guilty posted:

Shithousing the Grafted Scion at the start of NG+ is more satisfying than I expected.

Yeah it absolutely made my day. Just completely owned it.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
I finally went back and farmed a set of Nox Swordstress Armor. Feeling pretty fashionable right now in NG+ :)

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
So I started a new character with the goal of keeping them as low level as possible and just doing co-op PVE. It's hella fun, I've killed Rennala about 30 times and have seen some just super dumb poo poo.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

lite_sleepr posted:

About what level are you?

This sounds fresh and neat to try.

Right now I'm level 60 and mainly spec'ing DEX/ARC since I've never played that build before. I have a Nightrider Flail +15 which I think is throwing off my summon range a bit so I am looking around for fun spears. I'm really missing the Winged Spear from DS1.

Dyz posted:

Been doing the same, limgrave/stormveil/weeping at lvl 20-30 is some of the best co op. Just dont touch the statue at the First Steps unless you want to constantly be summoned to it for pvp.

Too late :smith:

Some dumb poo poo: I get summoned to the Auriza Hero's Grave three times last night, the one with two heavy hitting armored knights as the boss. The fight would start ok and we'd each tank a knight, but the host has ZERO situational awareness and kited his knight right on top of me every time. Fourth time I got summoned I used the severer right in his face and logged out lol.

Drain 001 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 27, 2023

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Revins posted:

People taking a break so they feel fresh going into the dlc maybe? Going into dlc when you're burnt out on the game can hinder your enjoyment of said dlc

This is what I did and is why I'm just kicking around on a low stress co-op focused character. Trying to get every summoning pool martyr activated on my way through. About level 70 now.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
I go to the Underground Highway to test out weapons and builds on the Omen there. If it does well against them I know it's viable. Plus it's quiet, no screeching Leyndell horns or driving wind and rain.

Drain 001 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 29, 2023

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
Try out Mighty Shot, I slept on it until recently and discovered it does serious work on Fire Giant with poison arrows. And it does a ton of poise damage.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
I found a new cheese on Placidusax.

1) Post Latenna up about 10yards away from where you zone in.
2) Start the fight but never get close to the dragon.
3) Just shift left to right in a wide arc dodging the lightning AOEs.
4) Latenna will gun him down and he'll never enter phase 2 if you never get close.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

skasion posted:

Happy 2000 pages, thread! Now taking bets for which page will see the release of Shadow of the Erdtree
Page 2161, almost 2162.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the co-op is as powerful as it is because people working together to help each other is supposed to be this incredibly striking, revelatory experience, contrasted against the struggle and misery of getting your face pushed in over and over

and it's for the exact same reason that invasions give you so much license to be a dickhead lol

This is correct.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
Dear Thread,

I'd like to start a third character and am looking for suggestions. I've gotten 100% of the achievements and have seen all the important endings.

• My first character was STR/FAI and rocked a tower shield with Golden Halberd, then she respecced to high INT to use the Dark Moon Greatsword. She's about L230
  • Second character is DEX/ARC and was focused on status buildup initially, but then pivoted into poise destruction when I discovered Spectral Lance on a Guardian's Swordspear. He's capped at L150 and I just use him for PVE co-op.

Planning on keeping this third character around L80 or L100 to also focus on PVE (and maybe PvP) co-op. Looking for a fun play style or gimmick I haven't tried before. TIA

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Epic High Five posted:

Pure faith, incants only or 99% incants (sword and shield is just the best when it comes to dogs and imps)

Faith has lots of great stuff for co-op, more than every other build combined.

Thank you all, I'll try this route and if it doesn't click it's Hammertime™.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
For anyone in this thread who ever feels dumb, realize that I have you beat. Yesterday, after playing for two years, I learned how to write multiple phrases in a message (press Y more than twice).

First off, research
and then
Time for message

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

explosivo posted:

If you press and hold the d-pad direction it quickly jumps to the first thing in the list. I always put my most important spells first so I could quickly switch to it when I needed to by holding the d-pad direction down. Same with flasks/items.

I was today years old when I learned this, literal game changer. Thank you.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Fister Roboto posted:

Question for the thread: on any run, regardless of build, what is the one boss, or boss archetype, that fucks you up the most?

Spiritcaller Cave Godskin Duo.

I've been summoned to help kill them many times, so I rolled in there all cocky on my second character (DEX/ARC) and they just completely pushed my poo poo in. On my third character (FAI) as well. Also I noticed the people I'd summon to help had no idea what they were doing, half of them would actually fight the ghosts instead of running directly for the snails.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
June 21, 2024

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
You wake up and the whole original game was a dream and none of it mattered. Newhart style.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

verbal enema posted:

Ohh I'll try this out later

Can confirm, I use it on Guardian's Swordspear (technically a halberd) and it'll stun an Omen in two hits.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
Per the thread's recommendation, I'm playing through with the Envoy's Long Horn right now (write up coming soon). Just stopped in to mention I went by where Shabriri was standing the other day and realized, "Why am I not murdering you? You body snatching fuckwit." So I blasted a couple Bubble Showers down his throat and took all his stuff. Incredibly gratifying.

Drain 001 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 1, 2024

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
I've been doing co-op at level 100 for the last few weeks and my God, players have turned into complete pants-on-head idiots.

At this level I get summoned mainly for Fire Giant, Godskin Duo, Maliketh and Godfrey. I have another character I do this with at 125 and I don't remember players being this dumb.

Things like:
  • Watching me and emoting as I clear trash mobs by myself
  • Following me to our deaths as I walk off a cliff on purpose (see previous)
  • Just spamming block and running around like a complete spaz
  • Not waiting for helpers to zone in
  • Not waiting at the fog door to buff. Literally sprinting through the cave to Astel and taking a laser to the dome before helpers can even get close.
  • Not equipping the Spear for Rykard. I've been summoned and watched the host and other helper struggle and waste all their FP doing no damage to the boss while I occasionally poke at him with the Spear trying to show them what to do.

Maybe it's a bunch of new players... I hope it's that actually. On the bright side, PvP invaders at this level seem a bit more squishy and less sweaty. So I've actually had some success roll catching or sniping someone not paying attention.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I never thought of putting the items I never use in storage.

I need to do this with +0 and +1 versions of trinkets, and all those stupid branches.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
God drat, you make a L100 guy so that you get summoned to help lower level players, about L80 to L120. And you still get summoned for Maliketh and Radagon all the time AND get chewed out for nOt LeVeLiNg ViGor.

Bitch, if you are summoning me for those fights then YOU need to hit da bricks and level up.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

PathAsc posted:

Ffs I was trying to help pubbies with their boss fights, host runs into combat as soon as I appear before I buff us all and gets smoked immediately. Gg what a smart move. Yes, I mad.

Yeah I see this all the time, maybe 1/3 of people actually wait at the fog. Also, hi Path :)

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Epic High Five posted:

Fashion souls is, in fact, the true end game

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Oh, I always suicide when doing Varrequest. I’m usually using the basic samurai armor and weapon which doesn’t fit my build yet! I can’t be seen like this!
The real issue is when you use near and far invasions and spawn in Liurnia. This is a swamp! How am i going to kill myself without a pit to jump in?

I usually try on my three invasions since I suck and it will give them the satisfaction of winning at PvP. However, this last time I spawned in to some catacombs where the host and cooperator were just standing around the site of grace staring at each other. I ran up and blew a bubble shower down both of their throats. They messaged me later that they didn't even see me spawn in. Either lag or they were hella stoned (probably both).

The rest of the time I'm a co-op summon and have the blue ring turned on. Did you know that thing can summon you out of Roundtable Hold? I did not.

Drain 001 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 23, 2024

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
L100 co-op notes from tonight:
* Summoned to Twin Gargoyles twice, first alone then with another phantom. Both times host died with the boss at sliver of health.
* Fire Giant hosts consistently wait for buffs at the fog door.
* Radagon hosts dive in instantly as I zone in.
* Caught a host casting Scarlet Rot breath on Ekzykes.
* Had a good first half of Godskin Duo, then Bernhal and the host just sat in the back of the room while I got overwhelmed by respawns.
* Killed the Chrystalian Trio with a good host, no problem.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I like Alexander but. He outlives his usefulness after Radahn at the best and I'm turning him into his talisman. Sorry buddy, I'm not waiting for Farum Azula for 5% more.

Monstrous.

Seriously though, I'm running an Envoy's Long Horn build and needed the good talisman. Waiting until CFA was difficult.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
The Serpent Spear has an AoW? I just spam R1.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
And if you put Spectral Lance on a Guardian Swordspear (poise wrecking halberd disguised as a spear) and then chug a Stonebarb Crack Tear potion you can stager bosses easily.

For true magic Black Flame has pretty good range and does great damage with a lot of faith.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Benagain posted:

Heresy is but a contrivance: all things can be conjoined

Very well, let us learn together.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

I literally thought they were talking about a DS1 style ring item until I started typing this comment lol.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

Why does the front door of leyndell go straight into the lake?

Because that section of town sunk (or was taken) into Nox-land (according to one of the Lore YouTubers I can't remember right now.)

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

SHISHKABOB posted:

Was just running around in Stormveil castle and somebody had a message down that said "try jumping" with their gesture pointing straight into the wall. There was a little ledge that looked like maybe I could get on, so I started jumping to see what would happen. I noclip straight through the wall and fall into the depths of the geometry and die. Fuckin lol

Right before the birds leading to Godrick right? Bastard got me too lol.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
I've been searching for the perfect place to chill while waiting to get summoned. Obviously it doesn't matter, but it's still fun to me to try and find a spot that meets the following criteria:

1. Shelter - Protection from the rain
2. Quiet - No wind or screeching horns
3. On the Surface - No caves or sewers
4. Warm - Has a fire and isn't freezing cold
Edit:
5. Dry - I'm not standing in water

The closest I've come is the merchant on the beach under the fallen cliff in Limgrave, though sometimes I hangout at the Underground Roadside.

Open to suggestions.

Drain 001 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

UnbearablyBlight posted:

I can’t give suggestions because my tastes are pretty different from yours, but I always liked to find good waiting spots when I was invading too. My favorite was always fallen ruins on the lake. It feels like one of the most peaceful places in the game to me. Ruin strewn precipice is also really nice - beautiful view with somber harpy-song in the background. Actually there might be some spots that meet your criteria there too.

Dyz posted:

Theres a small campfire above Highroad Cave at the end of the little river that runs into Agheel Lake, its a pretty chill spot with a view of the Bestial Sanctum.

I'll check these out, thanks!

I think the best view in the game is from the top of Four Belfries when it's clear. Very peaceful.