Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Capability Access Manager

By name, that sounds like something controlling access to microphone, webcam, etc. things that can affect privacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes Visual Basic 6 is 32 bit so it should be able to run on all recent Windows versions too.
But seriously consider getting the free Visual Studio Community Edition if you want to write new things. It supports C#, Visual Basic.NET, C++, and a ton of other languages, and also various game engines and more.

(Windows NT 3.51 from 1994 has 32 bit versions of Paintbrush and Write, those EXE files run without any fixes on 64 bit Windows 10.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

codo27 posted:

Something that isn't being talked about enough is software updates. I'm so tired of opening up programs like qbittorrent or da vinci resolve to find theres an update (like a fuckin 2gb one in the case of the latter). I know its not that easy when it comes to win32 apps but god drat it they ought have a baked in way by now for devs to get their updates taken care of with windows update or whatever.

Microsoft Store.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You probably have to take an experimental approach, disable some programs/services that start in the background on boot, until the problem goes away.
There could be something that prevents the animations from happening as long as it's running.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I haven't tried 11 yet at all, but I suppose that the changes in screen resolutions since Windows 95 might have made the original design no longer ideal. Back in 1995, the task bar would fit 3 to 6 buttons total, for common setups running 640x480 or 800x600, maybe 8 buttons if you had a really expensive graphics card and monitor and could run 1024x768.
Today on Windows 10 on a 3840x2160 display with 150% scaling, I can fit around 14 buttons if I enable showing labels. If I have labels turned off for just buttons, that's around 30-35 buttons, leaving a huge amount of blank space for almost all work situations.

But forgetting Fitt's law and moving important things away from the corner of the screen, that's unarguably bad.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

In Settings > Network > Ethernet, check the reported connection speed, whether the link speed is negotiated to 100 Mbit or 1000 Mbit.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just some general suggestions to look at:

When a program apparently won't start, look in Task Manager while starting it, preferably on the Details tab. Look for whether it seems to never appear, appears for a short moment then disappears, or starts and remains in the list despite not appearing to do anything.
If it does stay on the list of processes, look for whether it seems to be working, or just idle. (Does it use CPU or allocate more memory over time.)

If you didn't guess, "Antimalware Service Executable" is the Windows Defender virus scanner working. If it's constantly working it would seem you have a lot of files it wants to scan. If possible, try to disconnect any external storage you can, see if it makes a difference. If you want to know what it's actually scanning, this answer looks like a way to monitor that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MikusR posted:

Good news! Pro version will also require an account and internet during install. https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2022/02/16/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22557/

quote:

[Taskbar]

Drag and drop is now supported on the Windows 11 taskbar. Quickly drag and drop files between app windows, by hovering over apps in the taskbar to bring their windows to the foreground. Try attaching a file to an Outlook e-mail by dragging it and hovering over the Outlook icon in the taskbar to bring the window to the foreground. Once in the foreground, drop your file into the e-mail to attach it. You can also customize your taskbar with your favorite apps from Start’s All apps list by dragging and dropping over the taskbar to pin them. You can also drag and drop to the desktop via “Show desktop” at the very right corner of the taskbar.
Congratulations on reinventing a feature the taskbar had in Windows 95 too, I guess?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The thing with having a window that's docked on the side of the desktop and reduces the "available space" (to maximized windows) is not even a special thing. Since Windows 95 any application has been able to make that kind of window, via the AppBar (Application Desktop Toolbar) API. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/shell/application-desktop-toolbars
Are they saying they're deprecating that entirely, somehow?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I think it's just a right click (on videos or music etc) -> properties -> location and it will suggest moving everything from the previous drive when you change from c: to e: or whatever.

You can move the Documents, Photos, Videos etc. folders like that, but moving AppData and other more system-ish folders and files in the profile can't be moved. At least not in a supported way. The root profile folder is going to stay on the system drive.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah that sounds like an antivirus/cryptolocker heuristic kicking in and blocking access.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

bobua posted:

I bet there's a really good chance something like explorer is still 99% some 30 year old C code. I feel like anyone really *great* at software development wants to be as far away from writing GUI's as possible.

The way the Shell is constructed, I think it's pretty likely it has been piecemeal replaced and none of the remaining code will date back to Windows 95. But yes I will second reading Raymond Chen's blog, you can find lots of articles talking about the construction of Explorer and the Shell for Windows 95 and the concessions and design choices made back then.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

biznatchio posted:

Nobody other than people writing articles cares about whether the ODBC Data Sources configuration tool has an updated interface or not.

The only way to improve on it would be making the window resizable.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If your regular mouse causes trouble, but the trackpad works fine, maybe also try with a third mouse. Ideally one as simple as possible, wired and no fancy features.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

The correct way to have handled this would be to allow people to customize what's on it. I could strip out half the options and get down to a super lean right click menu.

The goal wasn't to make the menu shorter or simpler. The goal was to avoid shell extension DLLs to be loaded and called every time you right-click, which can give unpredictable slowdowns and/or crashes.
There is (supposedly, I haven't looked it up myself) a new way for programs to ask to be placed in the right-click menu, which presumably does not depend on calling into third-party shell extension code to retrieve the menu items. For example, 7zip might scan the contents of a file you right-click on, every time you right-click, to determine if there seems to be a ZIP archive inside the file, like a self-extracting archive in an EXE file. If it has to open and read every file you right-click, that adds an element of unpredictable behavior and delay.
That new method will then let File Explorer show those options, but without those unpredictable elements. The disadvantage of the new model would be that things like 7zip can't be dynamic in what options they show.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Stop straining your eyes with low contrast settings and turn on the light in your room.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Some of the answers depends on your hardware and which games, but in general:

File formats are not as much the question as is codecs. You'll generally end up with MP4 or MKV files regardless of what, but those can contain video in one of many codecs, and that determines what kind of encoding efficiency you can get. The main codec contenders today are H.264 (AVC), H.265, and AV1. H.264 is quite old by now, but has a big advantage in direct hardware support, every half-decent GPU on the market has hardware-accelerated encoding for the format, while that may not be possible for other codecs. H.265 and AV1 have much less hardware support, and use quite a lot of processing power for encoding, so I don't think they may be good choices for realtime recording at this point.

There are generally two parameters you can tune relating to video quality: Bitrate, and how much processing power you put into it.
The bitrate is simply how much space 1 second of video takes up, you see numbers like "10 Mbit/s video", that means one second takes up 10 megabits, and since there are 8 bits to a byte that means it's about 1.2~1.3 MB/s for the video.
How much processing power you put in is usually exposed as a setting going from "veryslow" to "veryfast" or similar. The more processing time you allow the codec to put into encoding each picture, the better quality it can squeeze out of the same amount of storage space, up to a limit. Often, the gains going from the medium to the slower settings are very minor and difficult to tell apart, but may matter if you were to do a lot of editing afterwards.

On the other hand, if you configure your recording software (OBS) to use GPU-accelerated video encoding, often you may not get a setting for the quality, only for the bitrate. The general opinion I hear is that GPU-accelerated encoding tends to range on the lower end of the spectrum of quality-for-bitrate, but sometimes it may be the better choice.
The best way to improve quality is almost always to increase the bitrate.

The choice between CPU-based encoding (in OBS via libx264) or GPU-based encoding (e.g. NVENC for NVidia cards) depends on your hardware and your game. If you have say 8 or 12 CPU cores, but your game can only take advantage of 3 or 4 of them, them you may as well go with CPU-based encoding, since you get more flexibility with that. On the other hand, if your CPU is maybe just 4 cores, but the game isn't heavy load on your GPU either, then GPU-based encoding may be a better choice.
The secret third option is to use a second PC to do the recording via an HDMI capture card.

OBS is a fine tool for recording screen video for almost all use cases, even if you have no use for all the advanced screen layout things it can do.
One thing you can consider is getting a plugin for OBS that lets you put a keyboard input overlay on. That way you review what keys you were pressing at the time afterwards too.

You don't really talk about what you want in editing. If it's just cutting out short sections to separate videos, you can use simple tools to do that, but if you want to do things like enlarge certain areas of the screen it gets more complex, but mostly anything could do for that too. None of the open source video editors I've tried have been a good experience. However, while I haven't tried it myself, I hear DaVinci Resolve is supposed to be pretty good and for personal use I think there is a free license.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

"Codec" is literally just a contraction of "coder/decoder", so just "a way to store information in a different way", and in the context of video/audio most often talks about a lossy encoding, i.e. one that gets smaller size by discarding some data determined to be not necessary to have the decoded data of "good enough quality".

With your specs probably any setup should work. For the keyboard overlay I think you pretty much need to use OBS (I don't know if other recorders can do it/have plugins for it too), but the good news is that more recent versions of OBS also do have replay buffer functionality. In the end, you will need to experiment with what works the best for you, and gives you enough quality for what you want to do with it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DerekSmartymans posted:

This works, but so does just holding the “Shift” key when you right click. No RegEdit needed.

No regedit needed, just a dab of glue under your Shift key.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

Eh, if you look at the "general availability" dates:

Add the earlier versions too:
pre:
 3.0    1990-05
 3.10   1992-04  +23 months
(3.11   1993-11  +19 months)
 95     1995-08  +40 months
 98     1998-06  +34 months
(98SE   1999-05  +11 months)
 Me     2000-09  +27 months
 XP     2001-09  +12 months
 Vista  2007-01  +64 months
 7      2009-09  +32 months
 8      2012-09  +36 months
(8.1    2013-09  +12 months)
 10     2015-07  +34 months
Really, XP to Vista is the odd one out, probably mainly because MS scrapped a ton of work that had already been put into the Longhorn project.
Me to XP is also unusual, except of course that Me was mostly a stopgap release and XP was built on Windows 2000 and not the 9x lineage.
Then there's Windows 10 too, but Microsoft kind of intended to stop making "major releases" as such after that, so you may as well put the approximately10 point-releases in between 10 and 11 on this chart too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

biznatchio posted:

No they didn't; and there were several releases that would be categorized as "major" within Windows 10's lifespan, they were just called 'updates' instead for marketing reasons.

What I mean is that each of those releases were more like the size of 98SE or 8.1 relative to the point-release just before. Incremental updates with a total effect that's large, but delivered piecemeal. I don't remember any as being "really major" on their own, as long as you didn't skip any.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Today while helping my mom with some stuff, I noticed the Danish translation of Windows 11 mistranslates "save energy" and related phrases to mean "store energy" (or "hide away") instead of "reduce consumption". Stock phrase for "save" as if "save a file" is the only context that word is used in. But it's not consistent at all, even within the same Settings page the same terms get different translations.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 20, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm not even sure if they've acknowledged the "sometimes windows explorer just brings itself into focus if you have a folder open" bug

Oh, that's not just me? I thought I had a weird thing set up on my work computer with Win 11 that caused it to sometimes focus File Explorer.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

At least the regular "Professional" edition will still demand that you connect to the internet and log in with an MS account, even if your machine literally does not have any kind of network interface installed at all.
I think maybe if you set up a machine that will OOBE into being domain joined then it won't require you to log in with a cloud account, but I'm not entirely sure. Of course that means you need to set up an AD domain controller, and maybe licensing server too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you are logging in with MS account, then yes it's just your MS account password, and you can use online password reset/recovery for it even.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No the new menus are still customizable by installed software, but there are more limits on what it can do with the menus. In the original Windows 95 shell extension model, a shell extension can run code and actively examine files and stuff every time you open a menu, and that can cause hangs and crashes with less than the absolutely most robust code. The new model doesn't allow an extension to examine anything such, only specify some basic rules that File Explorer can check quickly and easily.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

codo27 posted:

I know someone ain't out here trying to advocate for loving external hard drives as backup.

What else, tape?

Spinny disk drives are decently hardy when not powered, do not have any significant risk of data fading away if left unpowered for long periods of time, and are good capacity and convenient.
The main risk is if you buy those pre-packaged as USB disks instead of internal (SATA) drives and an enclosure/dock, since (to my knowledge) by far the most common failure mode of USB harddisk drives is the USB part.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It will probably just work. PC hardware is sufficiently standardized now that you're not going to run into funny issues with storage controllers and network adapters not working at all.
The main thing to watch out for is if you're switching GPU manufacturer, then it might be a good idea to remove the old driver first, but that might also be outdated wisdom.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No, Windows will not destroy disks it doesn't recognize.
It will respect the security settings (file/folder access control lists) set on NTFS partitions managed by other Windows installations and refuse to grant access to items where the only readers/writers are user accounts it does not recognize, unless you elevate yourself to local administrator and tell it to override that.
It will recognize encrypted disks and leave them alone, unless you give it a decryption key.
It will recognize parts of software-RAID volumes where they are incomplete and leave them alone, unless you tell it to do otherwise.
It will recognize partition types that belong to other OS'es and leave them alone.
The one case where Windows might start trying to do some automatic recovery is if you have a straight up corrupted NTFS partition, and then your data might already be lost anyway.

Of course, still follow the old advice during Windows installation: Physically detach/disable all disks you are not installing Windows on. Re-attach them after installation is done.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 7, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Windows media creator will erase the USB stick you give it, so don't use one with data you need to keep.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Windows can boot from an external drive now? I always remember having trouble doing that

Sorry haven’t been following the conversation well if that’s already been discussed

But yes it can do that. It's not officially supported on non-Enterprise editions, but can be made work just fine with a special tool. Look for a Windows-to-Go tool if you want to try it out. Especially if you use a USB3/USB-C connected SSD to host the system, you will barely notice a difference from one booted from an internal drive.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Two possibilities I can think of:
First, your NAS might be going into some kind of sleep mode when it's not being accessed for a while, and it takes a bit of time to get sufficiently alive again when you try to access after resuming your computer.
Second, your computer might take a while to restart the network adapter after coming back from hibernate, so there's a period after waking up where it has no network. For this one, it might be possible to configure something in the driver to keep the network alive while the computer is in soft-off mode.

Another option is to figure out what software you have running that wants to access your NAS all the time and either close/pause it before you go into hibernation, or see if you can convince the developer to add better support for sleep modes some way.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

biznatchio posted:

The great part about using the file system for configuration is that every application's developers can express themselves by storing their configuration settings in their own unique way. It might be in an INI file for the oldster developers who are afraid of curly brackets. It might be in JSON for the hipster developers yearning for the day when everything is node. It might be in YAML for masochists. It could even be XML. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!

Only scurvy-hating squares want configuration in a centralized location in a standardized format. Where's your fuckin sense of adventure?

Get the best of all worlds: Store your config in a REG_BINARY registry value that contains XML-wrapped YAML that, for the most part but not everywhere, is formatted to look like JSON.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

I think this will get a ton of uptake cause consumers have been hyped on AI by big tech and the media. It'll be everywhere next year and then nowhere a few years after that.

So like 3D TV sets.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

My keyboard is an original Model M, there is nothing to remove :smug:
"A new keyboard has been detected. Please press the following keys to verify it functions correctly."
"Copilot key press not detected, keyboard has been disabled due to malfunction."

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kibner posted:

Yup, I agree. They should have kept the touch-specific UI as is and just made it not the default desktop UI. They probably saw that kind of segmentation too expensive to maintain, though.

One of my favorite (not favorite) things in Windows 10 is the switch to toggle between desktop and touch mode, and the confusion that follows when someone accidentally gets it flipped.
I believe that at least some versions would also assume you wanted to be in touch mode if you hooked up an external drawing tablet via USB.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

This year’s crop of interns was my first time encountering somebody with an engineering degree who didn’t know basic computer functions and it took me forever to realize he wasn’t loving with me

Things you should (again) not assume someone knows about computers:
- How to use a mouse.
- How to use a keyboard for controlling software (non-typing functions like hot keys etc.)
- How to navigate a drives, folders, files structure.
- The idea that software programs are also data, which can be moved and copied like any other file.
- The differences between removable, fixed, and remote storage.
- The difference between data displayed on screen and safely stored on permanent storage.
- How to use and navigate overlapping application windows on a screen.
- What all the components are called, both in hardware and software.

There are probably more assumptions you could add to this list too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Computer_Driving_Licence

This is a thing that actually exists.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

OSs should do built-in tutorials for these imo

Windows 3.1 had the best computer tutorial I ever saw and has genuinely formed my entire idea about what "good computer based teaching" should look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SkM7mJrwcg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Harik posted:

so it's a nuisance to use, not a sane standard and a "or has $20 to slip the teen at the kiosk" authentication? absolutely perfect. nothing to improve, security has reached its peak.

E: Theoretically it has the token on your machine that's tied with your IP and doesn't just let you login from anywhere in the world. Theoretically. Hopefully.

You can absolutely disable SMS authentication in MS Authenticator, and in fact you need to go out of your way to add it as things are. The option to add it is hidden behind a "show additional options" button.

I believe that business accounts can also add policies about what kinds of authentication they accept, and possibly limit your access to various things depending on what kind of authentication you used. They can also make your sign-ins last longer on certain devices or from certain networks/IP addresses, so you don't need to verify as often when (for example) you're using a managed device on the company network.