Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

it's better for tablets though

Actually, is there anything else that's better for tablets too? It won't run on my Ivy Bridge desktop but the tablet is quite a bit newer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

For x86 touch devices? No. You can play around with Wayland's touch support on Linux or custom kernels based on your device, but you will have a better time with Win 11 or 10.

No I meant are there any other improvents vs 10 for win tablets :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

It's no longer possible to accidentally activate that terrible tablet mode, because it has been removed.

Lol seems a bit extreme, it seemed nice for the occasions when I did use it touch-only

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They made it all into one mode now, so the OS reacts appropriately depending on input - touch keyboard when you tap a text field, larger touch targets when resizing Windows with pen/touch, etc - but otherwise it's one experience for every use case.

It's basically the reason we've got 11 in the first place, to take the big clunky desktop UI that never really worked great for touch and making it work for everything, including potential future use cases like AR and dual screen devices. You can really see the difference in low end devices or tablets, rotating the screen actually works smoothly instead of causing it to go into a blind panic for several seconds.

Hence why if you're on a traditional desktop there isn't a major need to upgrade yet.

Huh, thanks. I'd check it out but I can't, my Kaby Lake 7y30 is apparently unsupported.

"If the decision to support one specific 7th-generation Core i7 laptop processor strikes you as odd, you don't need to look far for an explanation—this just happens to be the CPU included in Microsoft's Surface Studio 2, which Microsoft still sells but has not updated in three years"
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/loosened-windows-11-requirements-cover-the-surface-studio-2-but-not-much-else/

Lol. Though it looks like it might be possible to install manually but I can't quite be bothered yet

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You can bypass the CPU and TPM requirement with a single addition to the registry, so if you want to try it out then it'll take more time to download the installer than it will to apply the fix:

https://www.theverge.com/22715331/how-to-install-windows-11-unsupported-cpu-intel-amd-registry-regedit

Thanks. I tried it but the installer won't let me through, but without telling why :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

Registry method only works on fresh installs. Try deleting appraiserres.dll from the sources directory and disabling your internet connection before you run the installer.
Posting from Win11! Deleting appraiserres.dll caused the setup to crash, but the trick was a) regedit hack and b) disconnecting internet before starting.

I'll give it a go but so far I'm not exactly impressed by the touch-centric changes. Swiping from the right now doesn't bring up the quick settings thing (which doesn't have rotation lock now?) and swiping from the left shows some useless widgets instead of the task switcher. Explorer seems to have been dumbed down too. The start menu doesn't have a dedicated place for settings and it's instead hidden among other apps. At least it seems like they finally cleaned up the settings a bit.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They made it all into one mode now, so the OS reacts appropriately depending on input - touch keyboard when you tap a text field, larger touch targets when resizing Windows with pen/touch, etc - but otherwise it's one experience for every use case.

It's basically the reason we've got 11 in the first place, to take the big clunky desktop UI that never really worked great for touch and making it work for everything, including potential future use cases like AR and dual screen devices. You can really see the difference in low end devices or tablets, rotating the screen actually works smoothly instead of causing it to go into a blind panic for several seconds.

Hence why if you're on a traditional desktop there isn't a major need to upgrade yet.
BTW, Win10 would already give you touch keyboard or even pen recognition input automatically too, and would make context menus larger when you were fingering it etc. Seems like the bigger borders for resizing is the only positive improvement so far. Also I guess rotating the screen is a bit smoother, but I never found it to be an issue to begin with.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

I just tried loading Win 11 on a brand new 11th gen 11600k, 16GB RAM, all the security poo poo turned on in the BIOS. The installer said NOT COMPATIBLE. So then I upgraded the BIOS to the lastest version that said it was for Windows 11... same loving thing, Not compatible. So I loaded Win 10 and then did the 11 upgrade which worked.

What the gently caress?!

Microsoft

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

I’m very sorry if my shitposting actually convinced anyone to install windows 11, my sincere apologies

Also I picked up an M1 iPad Pro as a laptop replacement recently for university and it’s great, but most of my work is reading and marking up PDFs so it fits that form factor really well. If I had any coding needs it wouldn’t have worked for sure

e: buying Apple’s laptop keyboard + trackpad folio was a non-negotiable addition though
:argh:

Should've just bought a Yoga :colbert:

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm honestly trying to think of a space where touch as a primary interaction for all compute is ideal. I totally buy that a Surface Studio-like device is the dream for someone in Illustrator or PS or whatever, but to bring those ideas to a computer OS-wide is a much harder sell. This is double true if you need to produce keyboard input at all, which is a disaster on touch.

I'm going to sound a little bit Steve Balmer-y here, but I'm pretty convinced that unless you have a use for a pen, touch is a toy and completely inferior in speed and resolution of control across the vast majority of use cases.
Well tablets are still selling a ton so there's some use for them.
  • Angry birds or youtube/netflix
  • Niche apps like the garmin navigation my friend uses in the plane, or car techs entering issues
  • ???
After the ipad came out, there was a ton of hype and everyone pretended like all business apps are going to be on the tablets only and all the sales drones had to have one. I haven't seen a tablet in the wild in years, even before covid.

I'm posting from a cube mix plus, which is a slate that docks into a solid keyboard base:

Basically 90% of the time I used it docked as a little netbook. 10% of the time I'd use the pen to make notes or draw something on a whiteboard. Occasionally I'd touch the screen to scroll or zoom etc. Veeery rarely I'd undock it completely and use like a tablet. It actually worked fine as a tablet for browsing or reading stuff but even then usually having it docked was just more convenient.

Eventually the keyboard poo poo itself so I've been using it as a regular slate. And the main reason that sucks has nothing to do with the specific device itself or windows, but the form factor in general. Browsing is fine until you need to type something, then it's a pain in the rear end. Watching videos sucks because you have to hold it awkwardly, instead of just having it sit on the keyboard. Hence why I think the Yoga form factor is the best.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I upgraded the Home version on the tablet and it never asked me to make an online account, activate Cortana or any of that nonsense

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone noticed it restarting mpvy itself much more frequently? Several times now I've found the tablet that I left sleeping has rebooted even though I managed to get Win10 to not do that randomly any more

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haha yeah wasn't there a specific issue with WU that would cause it to take exponentially more time with each update? At least it didn't randomly install poo poo and restart the computer without your input, so there's that

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just noticed that my Win11 tablet resets screen brightness to medium when I change screen orientation by rotating it lol. Does this happen for anyone else? That's a pretty dumb bug.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Did they also remove the snipping tool? Searching for it only brings up the settings menu for the print screen key. Which I can't use when using the tablet without the keyboard.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Koskun posted:

I was curious about this, and a quick google got me an article from 2013 saying Amazon sell their tablets in 170 countries, with a follow-up a year later adding 40 more. Now there are 195 recognized countries, also according to google, so the math gets a little weird, but ignoring that part, they sell their tablets globally, and their app store is just as global.

Their app store might not be as known as Google's, which I'd chalk up to the fact that Amazon doesn't have a phone, and the Play Store is on every android phone in existence, but it is hardly an oversight as you imply by Microsoft.

Are you forgetting the Fire phone!??

I've never had an Amazon device (other than Kindle) but I can use the app store on my Samsung phone just fine. Why would the store be limited to where they physically sell the tablets anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol latest build works on on a 17 year old dual core netburst. Machine originally shipped with XP.

3.4GHz, dual core, clears the minimum specs! Is it actually tolerable to use?

MikusR posted:

Good news! Pro version will also require an account and internet during install. https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2022/02/16/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22557/

Yeah that sucks and is stupid.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

The problem? You can't disable the loving news. And guess what? The cost of possibly finding out about another terrible loving thing going on right now and ruining my day is not worth the upside of seeing a quick shortcut to the weather.

:hmmyes:

But also I don't think I've seen the widget bar in action yet. Thankfully.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Jesus, remember having to do that?

Yes :corsair:

It was a pretty satisfying feelig, knowing that all your bits and bytes are neatly laid oud in contiguous blocks. I miss it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just use 11 on my tablet. One of the most baffling choices is the context menu on the taskbar. There's just "Taskbar properties" or whatever, while everything else, including the Task Manager is in the Start button context menu. Whyyyyyyyy. What possible reason is there to hide all useful items there and limit the taskbar's menu to just one menu item.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just noticed my laptop was starting to get a bit toasty even though I wasn't doing anything intensive. Turns out it started to download and install an update while on battery. :wtc:

I went through all the update settings and apparent it's possible to disable updates on metered connections, but not while the computer is running from battery power. What the hell. Does anyone know if there's a registry hack for this or something? I tried to google it of course but doesn't seem to pop up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

Don't disable Windows updates.
Don't tell me what to do, you're not even my real dad!

Heran Bago posted:

If you don't like being surprised by updates, check for them manually when you start Windows.

If your updates risk overheating your machine, you have other problems. Some software is more demanding. Open up your laptop and blow away dust.

If you really want to turn off updates because you hate them, ok, it's your machine. Best keep your network and data as secure as possible, as you'll be behind everyone else in terms of security.

Edit: it's me. I'm the victim of Cunningham's Law
I get that updates are important but now I have to manually check for updates before unplugging my laptop because MS can't implement an extremely basic option of not downloading and installing updates when running on battery? Even android just asks me if I want to do it when it's plugged in at night and somehow it's fine.

And it's not overheating, but it's passively cooled so I can easily tell if something is gobbling up my precious watthours

redeyes posted:

The actual fix is never trust windows to do anything that makes sense. Go upgrade to Pro. Then run GPedit.msc. Turn off automatic updates (set that value to a 2) and presto, now life is good again.
Yes I guess this is the way. Is it possible to upgrade with one of those :10bux: ebay keys?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You should be able to put off updates for up to a month if I remember right, even on Home.
Yep that works, probably a good idea when traveling or something. Wouldn't really address this situation though.

Klyith posted:

Yes.

Note that "notify for updates" isn't free of annoyance either: MS defender updates are included in windows update, and those frequently update once a day and sometimes twice. So you will see the "updates available" pop-up a lot.

(I used "auto download, notify to install" for quite a while back in `17-`18 when W10 was really bad about rebooting without asking for permission. Nothing bad happened to me, I just made sure to do the updates once a week. But this was also a desktop so I wasn't connecting to strange networks ever. And I'm reading tech sites so I see the news when there's a MS zero day patch now situation.)
Oh yeah I remember that, good luck with your work, I'm rebooting now! It seems to mostly be ok on the desktop now, it'll download stuff and then notify that there's an update so as long as I don't ignore that for weeks, it won't do anything dumb. I just don't get why they can't do this very basic and obvious check.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just tried to add a keyboard language on a Win11 machine. It seems that the fancy new dropdown list won't jump to a location based on what you type. Like I open the list, press "G", and it doesn't jump to German or whatever would be the first G language.

Win10 had a whole window with a search bar. Before that I'm pretty sure it was just a list you could jump around like this.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just restarted my W11 laptop after installing updates and it wanted to "finish setting up my device" by "connecting to a few more Microsoft services". Anyone knows wtf is this about? The only options were either do it or be reminded in 3 days.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CBD Corndog posted:

To turn this off so it doesn't happen after future updates, go into Settings > System > Notifications > Scroll to the bottom, open Additional settings, and uncheck these two boxes:

fwiw, this doesn't happen to me on the release preview ring so it should be fixed when that comes out fully in the next month or so.

Ahh there it is. Thanks. Let's see if this works.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Literally opened this thread for the first time in months to bitch about the task manger.

The tiny, unlabeled icons instead of normal tabs can gently caress right off. :hmmyes: an analog gauge is "startup apps", makes total sense.

You have to make it really huge to get the text and it takes up an unnecessary amount of screen space. Doesn't really matter because I'm replacing it with Process Explorer immediately anyway.

Also is it just me or are there fewer and fewer of the underlined access keys (that you activate with Alt+key), and yes I did turn it on in accessibility settings.

---
E: An actual question. I had my taskbar at the top to hide the camera cutout but the update reset it and it seems like the registry setting no longer works. Has anyone solved this?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 15, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You're really going to defend an analog gauge for "startup apps" as intuitive when when another tab is literally called Performance? I know you can get used to anything eventually of course. Anyway it's gone now so I don't have to worry about it any more :) https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

And the solution to the taskbar location and as it turned out, a lot of other annoying issues, turned out to be called Explorer Patcher.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
O I wish I actually poo poo my pants!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to get a swipe from the right to show the quick setting or whatever that panel was called before, with like airplane mode, brightness and volume adjustment? I almost never actually need to access the notifications that they put there now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

Winkey+A does that, no idea if you can change it to a gesture.
Huh, I didn't know about the Win+A shortcut, but yeah it wouldn't help in this case. I bought a small 10" Yoga type laptop for traveling and it's actually small and light enough to comfortable use as a tablet occasionally, or in the tent mode in like a plane.

There's no way to easily adjust the brightness or volume in case you're watching a movie or something. Have to triple-swipe up (am I the only one who finds this uncomfortable because my fingers are different length?), then try to hit a small icon in the taskbar. If I miss it in a bumpy plane, it auto-hides and I have to do all over again. I wish they stopped trying to make the stupid widgets happen and just put it on the left side if they really must have this useless panel on the right.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Yossarian posted:

Windows 11 setting all library paths including desktop to OneDrive folders, despite not having OneDrive and NEVER having onedrive is one of the strangest problems I've had on 11. I could fix it in the registry but ..why would it do this in the first place lol

Oh god is it really doing it by default? I'll have to check my mini-laptop later. My latest work image (win 10) has everything set to OneDrive too and it's an enormous pain in the rear end. poo poo like drag & dropping files, attaching poo poo to emails, or sometimes even just opening files sometimes just doesn't work. We do have OneDrive as the "backup" thing but what a piece of poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah thankfully it doesn't seem like it's messing with existing setups, no onedrive bullshit going on on a recently updated pc.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Spoiler alert: they aren't gonna fix it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

phongn posted:

Working on filesystems is the sort of thing you want old graybeards with lots of experience focused on, with big QA labs to make sure you don't blow anything up. NTFS and Sun's ZFS were both original developed this way.

Microsoft mostly threw away their QA group and as earlier mentioned most of their hardcore devs are working in the Azure group. Not much room to risk monkeying with NTFS since it mostly just works. The hoped-for replacement ReFS seemed to have suffered from fundamental design issues and insufficient testing (see also: BTRFS on Linux).

No worries we can just use ReiserFS

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really hoped all these tasteless jokes are long dead and buried

MikusR posted:

Every developer who is even remotely capable is moved to Azure.
"capable" doing a lot of work there

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 24, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

But did you do it with your finger?

You actually have to use three fingers, swiping from the bottom-left corner, while your thumb is touching the right edge of the touchpad

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

No mouse. Only touch. As the lord intended.
No keyboard either.

Go open Paint. Press Alt-F to open the File menu and... nothing. Click on the title bar and press Alt-F. Then click in the paint area and press Alt-F. loving nothing lol. You have to give focus to the menu bar before it works, and even then it insists on beeping at you.

The menus were figured out twenty five years ago how it this broken now lmao.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hed posted:

Jesus Christ
Right? As Falcon said it doesn't seem to affect Notepad but seriously how does this keep happening.

redeyes posted:

IM not %100 sure but you used to be able to Shift-F10 which drops you to a CMD prompt and then run tasmgr.exe. Then kill the 'Network Connection Flow' process which allows just adding in a local account.
Yep, I had to do this the last time I installed Win11. Hopefully it still works, quoting this now in part so I could find this later :)

Unfortunately we'll probably be soon at a point where we have to just clone complete images over in order to avoid this bullshit. I really don't get why they're focused on this so much, 99% o the normies will just get a pre-setup system anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone had the Game Bar just stop showing FPS at some point? No amount of re-launching the games or the game bar seems to fix it. It just says "Loading..." when in-game and never shows it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11/the-sign-in-menu-is-the-latest-frontier-for-microsoft-ads-in-windows-11/

lmao, they really won't leave you alone will they. I just updated to whatever was the latest public version a few days ago and it's not there yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oooh one thing they finally fixed is a gesture to bring up the quick settings, you have to swipe from the bottom-right edge. I still don't know why it's not just part if the notification popup, and doing the three-finger swipe for the task list still sucks. It'd be nice if this was configurable, but I guess in this brave new world it's our way or the highway.