Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I assume local multiplayer with extra controllers would work just fine, right? You hook this up to a tv, get your 8bitdo or whatever controllers connected and you can play Castle Crashes, Spelunky, Monaco, BroForce, etc together right?

I mean, I don't know why that wouldn't work, just looking for confirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zerot posted:

One of the images on the Steam Deck website is of two people playing Guilty Gear, each with a wired fight stick. It will work!

Ah, beautiful. I definitely want this to be, for all purposes, "the Switch, except my Steam library".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Of course, testing is a whole thing with time and money needed for it, but don't most game development tools natively port to all 3 major (computer) platforms now?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Welp, just put down the $5 reserve for the medium deck. My wife actually was far more gung ho about it than I was; a big part of me thought it might be frivolous, but she was 100% "we are loving getting this and playing No Man's Sky TOGETHER" (which I also want to do, of course). We already have a gaming laptop that we have to share, but once we get the Steam Deck... :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What's the docking situation with the deck?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Samopsa posted:

you can use any docking station / usb-hub with power delivery on the deck. It works great and just like with a laptop. Dunno what else you need to know!

I know nothing about the Steam Deck, other than the very basics, so I gotta read up on it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Fast forward at least 6 months, you get a package, Mrs. Buttermilk goes, "what in the world is this? Steam what now?"

Hahahah as if; we're both counting down the days.

I'm thankful she's MORE into it than I am, and I am definitely into it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Valve themselves said it's looking like October 2022 :shrug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Balls on the date. I totally missed that 'or later' bit.

:negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

The way I see it, it's either "October 2022" or "later", so that's a 50% chance! :buddy:

I appreciate your optimism.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So... Dumb question, but if these games are getting Deck verified, that essentially means "plays great on Linux (assuming you have a powerful enough setup)", right?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

ChromeOS running Steam games is going to, uh, revolutionize educational computing.

I know they wouldn't run high end games, but no Steam support was one of the main reasons I've never considered getting a Chromebook.

This is potentially huge.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just paid for my Steam Deck! Can't wait!

I'm in Canada, anyone know when I should expect to get it?

So excited!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

How does the deck handle multiple users? Do you have to log back on fully every time? My wife and I currently share a gaming laptop and it's not the worst thing, but we always have to log out the other person and log in (with the authenticator code) every time, when it goes from her to me and vice versa.

I seem to remember once when I used to hook my old pc up to the tv, that in big screen mode, you didn't have to do that, you could easily switch users. Is that possible with the deck?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cowman posted:

You have the option to switch between users whenever you go to gaming mode or select the option from the power menu. It's extremely smooth and simple.

Excellent to hear, thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cowman posted:

Also I forgot to mention but if you use EmuDeck and add roms to your deck it'll add it on both accounts.

I won't be doing this, but I guess it's good to know.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I wish I could sort my games and do categories and poo poo through the mobile app. :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, my google tv/Chromecast has the Steam link app, and my wife is testing it out, streaming No Man's Sky from her laptop to our tv. Awesome! Our tv only has 2 HMDI inputs and they're being used already, so I'm glad that I'll be able to stream the deck to the tv when I get it without having to mess with them. 100mb/s connection too, doesn't look bad at all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Halo Master Chief Collection not being playable at all because of anti cheat is some bullshit. I just wanna play the campaign.

What's the deal with this, anyway? Why does anti-cheat prevent steam deck playability? Is it a proton thing?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

poo poo, Valve is going to be getting so much money from my wife and I this Christmas.

Is it deck compatible and has online co-op, and isn't a shooter (she's not a fan)? Sold.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks for the replies, all.

Anyone here playing Daggerfall (obviously the Unity build) on your deck? I'm assuming this is a real possibility for me, just wanted to know how much poo poo I'll have to mess with to get it running.

Mobile and modded Daggerfall... the dream :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NuckmasterJ posted:

Canadians are on pause right now. I paid over a week ago and I only found out via social media that Canadian orders are being paused. :(

What the hell? Why?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fair enough.

Edit; wait, if I'm reading this correctly, those who have paid are still set to get them generally on time, whereas the people who have put the $5 down (in Canada) will be waiting a bit longer for their emails, until the backlog is shipped.... right?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mistermojo posted:

its interesting that they were able to improve the on screen keyboard so much. the original must have been running a lot of dumb code during each key press

Yeah, so my wife ended up using her steam account to buy our Deck, and got all the points, and there are so many nice keyboards to buy with steam points, and I don't have enough :negative:

Whatever, next sale will likely take care of that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Unlike the Steam machines from 5-10 years ago, I look forward to more and more developers actually target the Steam Deck with their releases going forward.

Very glad that Linux/Proton-friendly builds are really catching on.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can't wait to play Spooky Halloween Games on this, like Dusk and Alien Isolation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

fit em all up in there posted:

Apparently a bunch of people have their decks stuck in Carol Stream Illinois

Isn't Valve's warehouse in Illinois?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is there a way to check the order status in steam, or only through the steam website?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Woooo! Mine just shipped today!

I'm on the eastern coast of Canada, so it's not expected here until Monday, but still!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My deck has entered :canada:, from Indiana to Mirabel airport.

Le :toot:

Je suis tres heureux!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

jokes posted:

I am three hours!

Very nice, forums user 'jokes'. Very nice.

Edit:

Mescal posted:

when'd you pay for it?

Last Monday, the day of the Queen's funeral. The... 19th? Only got the email saying it was shipped like 3 days ago.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm always appreciative of the vast amount of Linux nerds we have here on SA.

Bless you goons. Bless you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Good news is that this doesn't scale, so I only have 38 of my uh, 611 Steam some games installed. Did I mention I first created a Steam account to preorder this thing? Do the math on that one.

Am I doing it right?

:stare:

I have a few more than that, and I've had my Steam account since 2008 (I lost all of the login info for my original account from a few years earlier :argh:)

Commander Keene posted:

Stux is just Stux, their gimmick is just constantly shitposting about literally everything.

Don't forget dpulex. That goon hates everything.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just got mine, Canadian fedex delivery. He left it on the porch, rang the doorbell, and left, which is par for the course with FedEx here.

But I was home, thankfully! As soon as work is done, I'mma sniff that vent.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey, if I already played a bunch of Magic Survivor on mobile and it didn't really do much for me, am I likely to give a gently caress about vampire survivors? It didn't look much different.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just sniffed the vent.

Smells like a furniture store to me.

Beautiful.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, where is the refresh rate and fps limiter option? I feel like I'm going nuts because I can't find it.

At this point, I'm assuming that it's not part of the official steam menu.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

3-dot button, under the battery stuff.

You are wonderful, thank you!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

As a big Nintendo fan, I really don't like having to go back to the bullshit Xbox layout. :argh:

It's gonna suck using an 8bitdo SNES30 Pro with it, unless it automatically correctly maps the proper buttons to the proper spots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I remember getting a Half Life disc version and absolutely hating having to install Steam. I mean, it was just awful having this buggy, resource-intense thing running all the time, and I just wanted to play my games offline. That was near when it launched, and I hated it so much, I just kind of dropped PC gaming for a while and lost my original account. Didn't get a new account until Portal was free back in 2009-2010, and I remember the big non-Valve games on there were Crusader Kings and Civilization IV. Anyone remember pretty much only seeing them? I think World of Goo, Braid, and Gish were the indie examples of 'literally everyone owns these games now'.

Nowadays, of course, I absolutely love Steam. Well played, Valve. Well played.