Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

XenoCrab posted:

Just got my email for the 256GB I pre-ordered on Oct 18th! (I don't know if it matters, but I'm in Canada.)

I wondered why I ordered that day and noticed it was the day Valve launched the Steam Deck verified site and was a couple weeks after Valve put out the "how to (not) take apart the Deck" video and Twitter videos of games running on the Deck, so I guess I just needed a little extra marketing to push me over the edge :v:.

I put my deposit down august 29 last year and got the email a week ago, so in the last 7 days they've moved through a month and a half's worth of preorders. Fedex says it should be here Wednesday (also in Canada).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

How fast is the shipping in Canada? To my surprise I was able to lock in my preorder last Thursday and we've got a long flight coming up in a couple weeks, it would be cool as hell if I had it for that flight.

The actual shipping was 2 days, and it shipped a week after I made payment. So 9 days total for me.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Chubby Henparty posted:

wtf

Not really related, but you know that vibratey-current effect produced when some devices are plugged into an iffy charger? Very glad that the deck's got none of that.

That’s an electric shock. Throw out your iffy chargers.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

NuckmasterJ posted:

Canadians are on pause right now. I paid over a week ago and I only found out via social media that Canadian orders are being paused. :(

The pause is on the queue, so if you've paid in full, you're not actually paused. The pause is because they've fallen behind on shipping paid orders, so it may be a distinction without a difference, but you're not paused per se, the wheels are still moving.

Glimpse fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 24, 2022

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What the hell? Why?

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1573016024110473216

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

NuckmasterJ posted:

Well I paid last Thursday and it's still processing. I'm not sure when they plan on shipping but I've been told it's usually pretty quick. Sad Canadian noises.

I think the delay notice started the day I paid so maybe I'm in some sort of maple syrup money limbo.

There was a week between payment and shipping for me. Then the actual shipment took 2 days. :canada:

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Sterf posted:

My stupid brain is trying to get me to get this thing, knowing I will mostly use it to tinker with settings and install new poo poo and figure poo poo out instead of actually really playing games (don't kinkshame).
Well, I will play some Caves of Qud and such, but I estimate at least 50% of my time will be tweaking settings on other games. My frugal side is telling me to instead worry about heating my home through an energy crisis but meh.. So what I'm asking is how did you convince yourself to get one and get rid of that final slither of doubt?

Can confirm that Caves Of Qud works great (the devs made a custom control scheme for the deck), but have you considered that it is also the ideal platform for Vampire Survivors and New Vegas? (I’m serious, 90% of my deck time is those two games).

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Almost. Verified games in the "Great on Deck" category should largely work out of the box, but most games don't have great default control schemes (specifically shooters) and a lot of times you'll need to adjust in-game graphic options and/or set the frame limiter in the overlay performance tab to make them "look good" or at least not kill your battery in two hours, since very few games actually come with Deck optimized graphics settings.

But sure, there's a good chance that you can take any "Great on Deck" game and set the 30 FPS limiter and it will run just fine, and then you can go from there and tweak it as much as you want.

I’ve had one verified “great on deck” game just straight up not work. Minit fails on launch to a console command prompt for me.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Science_enthusiast posted:

Probably would be hard to answer but would this go for new players too? Was thinking of picking this up for my christmas vacation. Aside from dicking around with the free version a few times over the years I am pretty much starting fresh.

Also does it run ok? I have hear it can get quite resource hungry

In more or less the sea boat as you and I'd say yeah. There's even a tutorial now! Runs as well as it runs on anything.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

RME posted:

I was playing dolphin and ended up enabling the built in fps overlay and I’m not sure how I did it. Googling is just telling me to toggle it on the (…) button menu but it’s already set to off there. I tried toggling on and off and doesn’t seem to do anything, curious if anyone else has run into this or if I just stumbled onto some button combo I can’t recreate

Sometimes this just happens. A restart should cure it.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

Weight's the thing, tbqh. Steam Deck's heavy for marathon sessions

Could get one of those Deckmate VESA mounts. I haven’t had any issues with the weight myself but I have thought about it just as like the ultimate in deck luxury.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I never played the original and enjoyed the hell out of FF7R. It’s just a goodass game.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Picked up the Final Fantasy 13 games in the sale, and so far the first one has worked pretty flawlessly out of the box, without the ff13fix mod that I’ve heard it needs.

Playing it reminds me a lot of Vampire Survivors, except VS runs are limited to a half hour for your health.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Blorknorg posted:

Hey there folks, I'm wondering if there are a cluster of :canada: Canadians :canada: here that could maybe share their experience with importing a deck from steam directly? I'm considering the purchase finally, but I'm mildly worried about the notion of getting surprise extra charges for 'brokerage' etcetera. Supposedly you aren't supposed to get extra charges but there is a small handful of reports of people who did get hit with this for a bit over 100$ because of the shipping company that steam uses. Did anyone get hit with this here?

No issues here (Toronto).

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

If they do the Pootdeck and Pootmachine in Soviet industrial design, I’ll buy two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

MrQueasy posted:

As a primarily Deck based person these days, how good is the new Humble Fun-geon Crawler bundle games on deck?

$7 for
- Devil Spire
- Hellslave
- Going Under

$11 gets you
- Lunacid
- Siralim Ultimate

$15 gets you
- Abalon (Summoner's Fate)
- MythForce

Lunacid's on my radar, and just buying it here is a $2 discount, but am I better off just waiting for the summer sale? Or are there some hidden gems here?

Otherwise I'm just going to play more balatro and Isaac.

Lunacid is great and worth at least 11 dollars. No idea about the others.