Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I finally was able to make the full purchase, I fully expect this thing to become a Klei Entertainment device once I have it in my hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Anyone have issues with Steam Cloud not syncing on the deck? Did you manage to fix it?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

How many controllers can connect to this thing with bluetooth? If I wanted to bring this thing over to friend's house to play Crawl or TMNT, could I do it?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's literally two commands to permanently enable SFTP:
code:
passwd
sudo systemctl enable --now sshd
and doesn't require any additional downloads, works in desktop and game modes, works in the background, etc. SFTP clients are abundant for every platform too. If typing two commands is a hangup, well, I can't help you.

The only downside is that it makes your Deck marginally hackable on public wifi if you choose a poo poo password. Or you can just disable sshd when you're done.

Bonus: The above also enables scp or rsync if you prefer those.

https://chryseus.co.uk/setting-up-ssh-sftp-on-steam-deck/

this might be a useful link for those looking to go this route

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I would definitely buy a steam controller 2 if it had the exact same sticks that the steam deck has.

then I would retire my gyroless xbox controller for good.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Even the steps in that article aren't really necessary. Again it's two commands, no flatpak overrides or anything.

There's an additonal command to help keep your steam deck secure

quote:

To prevent anyone else logging in, edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config, add the following two lines:

quote:

AllowUsers deck@192.168.0.0/16
PermitRootLogin no

So I thought it worth sharing

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah he's wrong, these don't do anything.

ah fair enough, didn't check in my hubris

I just ordered the dock, it's going to be cool to have two hybrid consoles that I can play whenever, wherever but also on my TV

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Steam Deck is cool because I finally have an easy way to show people how great Kind Words is.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Anyone have recommendations on a specific screen protector for the Steam Deck? I'm in Canada, if that makes a difference.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Is there a way to reset your password easily? I think I messed up the entry in desktop mode and I don't remember the exact password.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

CRAYON posted:

Not sure what your level of comfort is with this stuff so I wouldn't say it's easy but this worked for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tuoidv/comment/ibpf1o7/?context=3

I'll give it a shot. I did get a big 1TB MicroSD, just in case I would have to factory reset something.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It's a shame all the Dark Souls servers are down right now, multiplayer might thrive with this thing coming out.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

Using the pads as a fake mouse seems pretty miserable to me trying to play a couple things. Like it works but I can't imagine playing a full mouse driven game. Maybe you get used to it as I eventually got used to a thumb trackball for couch gaming.

I wonder how well a trackball would work on a controller. It'd look weird as hell but might actually work better for replacement m+kb gaming.

I was messing around Age of Mythology and Dragon Age: Origins I thought both played impressively well one you fiddle a bit with community layouts for the controls.

really depends on the complexity of the game. I wouldn't play something like Stellaris without a kb+m.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I saw GameXplain’s Uncharted Steam Deck impressions and they xplained that Uncharted worked pretty well on Steam Deck but it ate through battery and it loses something in the transition to a small handheld screen since it’s meant to be this theatrical gaming experience meant for a bigger screen.

If you got the rig for it it's worth just streaming the larger games from your desktop.

I've been playing CP2077 with raytracing on steam deck thanks for that steam link feature.

just got to wait for my dock to finally arrive and I can play it on my TV

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

If you have an Nvidia card, then using Nvidia's Gamestream can be even better than the Steam Link. No detectable input lag and less finicky than Steam Link.

I took a swing at this and the immediate problem seems to be you lose a lot of the keybindings from the community. Which is a real bummer!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Any tips on getting modding to work on the steam deck? I want to make a serious attempt at getting a new vegas modlist going.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I was about to ask something similar, I was wondering how easy it was to mod Skyrim on the deck

Also, should I be getting the Legendary Edition? I’m not really up to date on these Skyrim editions

I'm just having trouble installing mod organizer, I think it doesn't play nicely with my microsd.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Twobirds posted:

I realize this is a blind suggestion, but is going to be easier to get a functional modset going on a Windows PC, then copying the install folder to the microSD for Steam on the Deck to 'discover'? I did this with some Gamebryo games when I moved between PCs and while I still had to fix some minor things, it was easier than starting from scratch.

the research I've done suggests at the moment, it's easier to do the modding on pc, then transfer over. I've going to give a bit of time for people to get adjusted to the console, I'm sure a cleaner way of getting a modlist going on the steam deck will come along with time.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I really recommend installing decky loader, having protondb badges on most steam games is very useful.

https://github.com/SteamDeckHomebrew/decky-loader

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

There is also a plugin to replace sounds, music and another one that will replace boot animations. You too can have Mario wishing you buh bye when you suspend your Steam Deck

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Just install the protondb badges through decky loader. protondb is crowdsourced internet website that it going to try a lot of games out way faster than valve can verify them.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm glad the universe has provided me a system which lets me play alpha protocol whenever and wherever I want.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Opopanax posted:

I’ve had my deck docked with a controller 90% of the time to play all the PC/PS stuff I’ve missed and I have zero complaints.

You can even stream from your rig through steam play, especially if you have both machines connected via Ethernet.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm really jazzed to play all the crpgs I've bought over the years, maybe get into some of the systems heavy games while on the go. I'm sure the controls will need a little fiddling but community layouts have been pretty good.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It'd be swell if this reinvigorated lan parties or something. It'd be fun to get together with some guys and play risk of rain.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Steam Deck is definitely making me spend more on video games, curse you and your incredible service valve.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Valve are ergonomic wizards, I love holding this thing in my hands.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I've invested a lot of time into my dead cells game on the switch and I can't really see why it would be that much better on the steam deck. I gotta invest more in those nintendo exclusives though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Ergonomics my friend.

I do own a Pro Controller, I rarely take that thing out of the dock these days.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm looking forward to steam deck doom eternal, just because of the gyro.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I do think with the switch and the deck I kind of have all my bases covered in terms of games. I'm glad I never took the effort to buy an Xbox Series X/S.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I can't stand playing the Switch in portable mode but I'm also not even considering getting a steam dock. The deck feels so much more comfortable.

Also, assuming I do someday dock it and want to use a controller, what controller is going to have a) touch-sensitive thumbsticks and b) the 4 back buttons?

The PS5 controller is my favorite so far for docked mode, I'm very done with xbox and their refusal to implement gyro.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 30, 2022

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

One of my few complaints about the Deck is the touchscreen. It just does not feel as precise, sensitive, and good to use as my phone. Hopefully v2 has a better one (and OLED).

This is one field where the switch has the deck beat, imo. Maybe it's more of a software thing and it can improve in time.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Typing things out is the extent of my usage for the on screen keyboard. Even then, I've got a bluetooth and keyboard set up so I don't have to bother.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MP9d3aSwM8

I get the criticism of the Steam Input UI honestly

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 1, 2022

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

So how does one delete the proton cache when you uninstall a game?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

This works really well, thanks.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I think the steam deck is high profile enough that it'll have some affect industry-wise.

How much is impossible to say.

edit: devs going back to fix old games is probably unlikely but perhaps moving forward the steam deck could be a target

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 1, 2022

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Also lol if you think the industry is just AAA games and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm going to make the wild out there prediction that the impact on the industry will be somewhere between nothing and something.