Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Yeah, Alyx was genuinely brilliant and wouldn't have been the same without VR.

There are some good VR games out there with fun ideas/mechanics, but Alyx wove a ton of great ideas into something greater than the sum of its parts. It actually felt like the old Valve was back and hadn't missed a step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

My decent-ish PC seems like it could handle games a little better than a Steam Deck (1660ti on a 1440p display) but I'm tempted to sell my components and pick one of these up anyway, mostly for the novelty.

With GPU prices remaining so high it feels like this thing will do well enough for PC developers to aim at as a performance baseline. Assuming Valve can make enough.

Also, I find it funny that so many Steam Deck video thumbnails feature some rear end in a top hat making a wowzers face while pretending to hold one. It reminds me of when I was a kid and I got a Game Gear game several months before I actually had a Game Gear, so I placed the cartridge on a 1:1 scale magazine photo of the system and pretended to play it.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Strangely enough, the only reason I'm hesitating to go through with my Steam Deck preorder is the fact that 480p and 800x600 classic games (which make up a big chunk of what I'd want to play on this thing) won't be able to integer scale to the screen, so they'll either be tiny or stretched and bit blurry.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

For what it's worth, the people behind Retroarch are so abusive that they played a part in Byuu/Near's suicide, and caused the Duckstation dev to temporarily abandon the project. If that sort of thing bothers you I'd suggest using an alternative. Or going with standalone emulators if possible, since they tend to run better (in Windows at least).

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Those posts about New Vegas are troubling, as that's the first game I plan to install when I get my Deck.

I have zero interest in using this thing for emulation, since I'm a weirdo who cares about that stuff enough to already own a MiSTer, Gamecube, OG Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, and a Retrotink 5x. Besides, one of Jeff Gerstmann's streams showed how one of those installer scripts (maybe Emudeck?) crammed something into the Steam Deck UI that caused freezes in certain situations.

I'm just looking forward to having a surprisingly capable little PC game platform with a nice glossy screen (this is why I went for the 256 model) and lots of control options. It will be a good excuse to finally explore more of my Steam library. Elden Ring, the original Sam & Max, Yakuza, XCOM 2, No One Lives Forever, bring all that stuff on.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Just got my email and placed the order!

I was a waffling dumbass so I reserved mine nearly four days after they went up last year. (If it helps anyone, it was the 256 model on July 20th at 7:26 am EST) Now I just need to spend the next week trying not to think about it like a kid on Christmas Eve.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I've always been the sort of person who only plays one game at a time, with maybe one or two other titles installed so I can jump into something different for a quick palette cleanser or a few rounds of multiplayer. This is one of the few situations in which one of my compulsions pays off.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Cowman posted:

Just because I'm antsy to get this thing, roughly how long does it take for them to ship it? I ordered it yesterday and they're still processing it.
I placed my order last Thursday (the 28th) immediately after the emails went out and now it's the following Friday and it still hasn't shipped. Took a day or two to process, sat on "Shipping Soon" ever since. I seem to be an outlier, though.

When I get the thing this extra wait won't matter, but for now my enthusiasm is significantly deflated.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Are there any games/genres where the Steam Deck's screen size feels too restricting? I'm thinking about CRPGs with lots of text and small icons, or a game like Prey where you're looking for subtle environmental details in dark areas.

I know there's a magnifier feature, but I'm curious if people who have been using the Deck for a while find themselves steering away from certain games specifically because of the screen size.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

This is a shot in the dark, but if anyone upgraded from 256/512 and wants to sell the original SSD for $20/$40 I'll buy it. I posted an SA Mart thread to make it official, and for other people to buy/sell since there are probably going to be a lot of new Steam Deck owners in the next few weeks.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm considering reformatting then dual booting it with a steam and Windows setup, so it is easier for me to play indie stuff like streets of rage remake, itch games or just stuff where only a zip can be found on some obscure chinese bbs a decade ago. I assume this is a good starting point?
In my experience, you can easily run all of that stuff without Windows. You just need to use the desktop mode to download the game, run the installer as a non-steam game with proton enabled (in properties -> compatibility), then remove that installer and add the installed executable as a non-steam game with proton.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I personally wouldn't install anything that constantly runs like Decky unless I absolutely needed something it did. Too wary of it using resources or conflicting with something.

Cryo Utilities, on the other hand, is very nice. Run it once to noticeably improve performance. Simple. Easily reversible.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

I think this is a subjective thing and depends at least partly on the environment in which you're playing.
Yeah, for me glossy is always better. Glare/reflections don't matter at all to me, and any coating (by its very nature) reduces image quality and vibrancy to some degree.

Since this is a portable I get why people would lean the other way. It's great that we have options.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I'm trying to create a Recovery Image drive using the Steam Deck itself.

Went into Desktop mode, downloaded the image and the Linux version of Etcher, which ran just fine. But when it went to write to the USB drive I got a super user password prompt. After a bit of research I opened Konsole, typed in "passwd", and instead of getting a prompt to set the password I got a prompt to enter the current password. Which shouldn't exist. Leaving it blank didn't work.

Is there an easier way to do this, or another program that won't ask for a super user password?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I don't enjoy top-down action games, so I wound up playing through (and loving) Bastion + Hades for everything else. They're just incredibly well-made experiences with amazing art. Transistor is actually my favorite Supergiant project because it has all the good stuff and can be played more like a turn-based game.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

This thing is the best.

I upgraded my base model to a cheap 512GB Microcenter-brand drive. That's all the space I need, as I've always been very particular about only keeping three games installed at maximum. One "real" title I'm working through, one game that can be played in a few quick rounds like Rocket League, and maybe one MMO thing.

While modern games work surprisingly well I find myself finally chewing through a lot of classic games I've always just collected and poked around at. Right now it's the original Sam & Max. Next it will be Doom 1 + 2. Having a quick system-level toggle for integer scaling is so fantastic for this stuff.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

For what it's worth, the Steam Deck's integer scaling mode is terrific for older games. Everything looks crisp.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

SteamOS is really cool. One of my favorite things about the Deck is being able to push a button and instantly toggle stuff like scaling method, frame/refresh rate limit, performance overlay, etc. then bounce right back into the game.

It streamlines stuff that would be more annoying in Windows while simultaneously giving you greater control.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Weedle posted:

the games i want to play that are listed as "unsupported on deck" include: modern warfare ii, cruelty squad, destiny 2, sleeping dogs, dirt rally 2.0, the witcher 2, vampire bloodlines, and burnout paradise. also a bunch of posts immediately before mine are people talking about how updates frequently break compatibility for supported games, so windows seems like a better move for me overall. it is easy to install
Cruelty Squad, Sleeping Dogs, Dirt Rally 2, Witcher 2, Vampire Bloodlines, and Burnout Paradise absolutely work. Valve is conservative when it comes to verifying compatibility, so it's always worth checking ProtonDB to see whether something can be played on the Deck, and to find the best settings.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

tango alpha delta posted:

trip report: New Vegas works very well using Proton Beta
Heck yes, NV was my first Deck game too. I've played through it like six times since it came out, and having it on this platform feels wild.

Be sure to check out the free Aperture Desk Job. It took me way too long to remember that existed, and it's a nice introduction to the platform.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

faantastic posted:

Playing D4 on the deck the last few days and performance is all over the place for me, dungeons with 4 players spamming skills? Runs great. Running around the open world and encountering nothing? Choppy/stuttering mess.
I wonder how much of this is related to hardware performance vs plain old connectivity issues. When I played the beta on desktop I ran into frequent hitches, stuttering, and monsters not loading while I was in the overworld with no one around.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Mars First Logistics' sound design and music are top-notch too. Every piece snaps in place with a satisfying pop, and your vehicle sounds so good when you're driving around or using special motors/attachments.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

im the design that would force your hands outwards away from your wrists, unlike literally every other controller ever designed, ever.
You simply hold it with the opposite hands that you'd expect. Make the Wakanda forever salute then lower your forearms a bit, open your hands, and scream for a loved one to lower the Steam Deck 2 into your grip.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Being able to transfer game installs from PC is so cool. Just did it with Baldur's Gate 3 and it took around forty minutes.

The game hit a steady 30 fps on the Deck with my first mix of medium/low settings and no FSR. That was in a dungeon so it might be different in bigger areas, but so far the experience is surprisingly uncompromised. It'll be interesting to see what comes when Larian updates the game with further optimizations.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Unless I'm mistaken you can no longer install/play the original Warcraft 3 through Battle.net, as it just downloads Reforged. You'll have to find an iso/installer, with 1.27b being the most up-to-date version.

For games like this there are a few install methods but my favorite is downloading the installer, adding it as a non-Steam game, running the installer in Steam, then adding the installed game as a non-Steam game.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I didn't expect this to happen, but the Steam Deck made me reconsider my whole computer situation.

My gaming PC has basically become an overpowered internet browser machine. Windows 11 keeps getting worse when it comes to ads and privacy settings, and I really don't want to be around when AI bullshit starts creeping into the OS. I'm going to sell the computer and get something efficient like a Mac Mini or a laptop/mini PC with PopOS or something.

It's wild because I've been building my own computers since the late 90s, but at this point the entire experience of using the Deck is so pleasant and frictionless that it's the only thing I actually want to play on. For the occasional game that doesn't run perfectly I don't mind using something like Geforce Now.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Disappointing Pie posted:

drat I was planning on getting a MiSTer with my Christmas bonus but honestly a handheld emulation beast with an OLED screen for what I want to play up to PS2 would probably be the better choice.
I have a MiSTer and Steam Deck, and it'd be real hard to choose between the two. MiSTer has essentially zero input delay so all games feel better, timing is perfect, and the built in scanlines/shaders can look exactly like the Retrotink 5x with no performance impact. But having absolutely everything on the Steam Deck (including MAME for all the arcade titles that haven't been ported to fpga yet) is so novel.

They're two vastly different but amazing options with tradeoffs. I find myself reaching for the MiSTer for everything up to PSX/N64/Saturn and being happy knowing that I could play that stuff in a pinch on the Deck. The benefits of software emulation kick in around the PS2/Dreamcast/GameCube.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Tried giving my deck a clean reboot but it's just stuck on shutting down steam now.
You can hold the power button down for ten seconds to force a full shut down.

Sometimes things get funky if you go a long time without powering down. I haven't experienced it with the Deck since I don't use sleep mode, but it definitely happens with my phone.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Rolo posted:

MORE COLORWAYS.

Ahem sorry
I legitimately want a Steam Deck in the OG Steam colors. Two tones of drab green, a few white and pale yellow bits. That thing would look like a Quake 2 weapon.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I'll toss in a GameCube recommendation: Gladius, a turn-based strategy RPG from LucasArts with golf-like swing meter attacks. A really cool game that flew under the radar.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Yeah, I have a 2DS XL and hacking it was super easy. There's something nice about having every game you'd want right there, on the actual hardware it was made for. You can also get a fairly cheap DS flashcart to have both platforms covered.

The Steam Deck rules, but when it comes to emulation I only use it as a last resort. While the d-pad and face buttons are fine for most stuff, my brain rejects them while playing older console games.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

EDIT: Nevermind, misunderstood something!

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I'm only a few levels in, but so far Penny's Big Breakaway is perfect for Steam Deck.

Runs at a locked 60 (I turned off vsync and just set "Target 60" in the game's video settings) while rarely taxing the CPU or GPU beyond 50%. It's a colorful, stylized platformer from the Sonic Mania team. The environmental visual style gives off super strong Megaman Legends vibes.

I'll check back in with more thoughts as I spend more time with it. Hopefully it holds up, because good modern platformers are rare and playing something like this on the Deck feels super novel.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Dramicus posted:

The Saboteur was just added to Steam and plays perfectly on the Steam Deck. You gotta set the resolution and choose a gamepad control scheme before launching, but after that it's flawless.

For those who don't know, its sort of like GTA in ww2 Paris and you liberate the city. It does the Schindlers list thing where occupied areas are black & white and liberated areas are full of color.
Rad, and it's only 5 bucks. Last time I played my Origin copy it still had the issue where running beyond 720p broke the minimap. It wouldn't be an issue due to the Deck's resolution, but hopefully this release folded in all the GoG fixes.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Whenever the Steam Deck 2 comes out, I'm going to repurpose the original for something goofy. Maybe a home server, or an Apple TV/Shield replacement since I'm pretty sure it has AV1 decoding capabilities. It's pretty cool how much hardware is in this thing and how little power it uses.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Relatively intense modern games are not going to be a good time docked. You already have to make compromises (low frame rate, fsr, low settings) to get most of them working in handheld mode at 720p. Something like Cyberpunk or Spider-Man, for example, will be surprisingly playable but not perfect in handheld and absolute "what is this trash?" on your tv. 2D and low poly stuff will be fine.

You'll get a feel for what's likely to work. And the amount of fantastic games the Deck can handle is downright silly. Bouncing between classic LucasArts adventure games, Deep Rock Galactic Survivor, and Yakuza one one device is great. Most third party Switch games also come to Deck and tend to work better.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

After messing with some emulators I'll say my one deck quibble is the dpad. It works, but the placement feels a bit awkward for my hands. Then again I have weird long E.T. fingers so that's probably part of the problem. I also prefer a textured pad to glossy, but that's secondary.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a box in the settings somewhere to enable a nintendo layout for that.
Yup. Hit the Steam button (left of the screen), go to settings, then controller, and there'll be a big fat Use Nintendo Button Layout toggle.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

It's worth noting that Fallout 4 doesn't just have bad writing, it also takes a huge step back (even from 3) in terms of RPG mechanics and reactivity. Dialog choices do not matter, and you can't approach quests in multiple ways. You're just a gun floating through a Fallout-themed zone.

The shooting felt fine and I liked the northeastern autumn setting, but I kept wishing I had even the tiniest bit of agency. You really have to approach it as a pure shooter with some loot and crafting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

ConanThe3rd posted:

I know it's not the same thing and MacOS isn't all milk and honey, but moving from Windows to SteamDeck and Mac made computing feel like something other than an utter slog.
Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with any OS but Windows actively hates users more and more with every update. At least MacOS looks and feels pleasant for everyday computer stuff, and the Deck looks and feels pleasant for video games.