Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Got my email for ordering my Deck. Happy days! I’m having it delivered to a hotel where I’ll be staying for work. But internet connection is not very fast, so I’m preparing by putting a bunch of Verified games on an external SSD.

Is it easy to then transfer these games to the Steam deck’s internal SSD and SD card? Do I just need to enter the desktop environment and move the games like I would in Windows? The external drive is formatted to NTFS and I just copy/pasted the games into a folder.

edit- also, you might wanna change this thread's flair to the Steam one, took me a while to find it as I didn't expect it to be under the Switch flair. Almost made a new thread.

Animal fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

It runs so flawlessly

I got the Deck on the way. Does MGSV run at 60fps or is it better at 40fps? I'm finally gonna play that stupid game.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

60. Tbh almost everything I’ve played runs at 60 out of the box.

But I also usually play near an outlet so the 2-3 hour battery life for 60fps AAA games works fine for me.

I’d only really use the 40 fps cap on a trip where I couldn’t charge personally.

I’m hoping for Elden Ring locked at 40.

Anyways I’ve put a bunch of games on an external SSD to transfer to the Deck when I receive it. Here they are:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Samopsa posted:

i did like 100 hours of elden ring on the deck. I used the 40fps lock in steamOS, most settings on low, and resolution at 720p. This gave me framerate in the upper 30's for most of the game, and basically never going below 35. It wasn't rock solid 40fps though, but I didn't mind much.

30fps locked is very attainable with medium settings at 720p, very very infrequent dips below 30.
Getting a solid locked 40 fps is some work/tweaking: use the low graphic presets and resolution at 540p with FSR to start off. Incrementally change your settings until you hit an acceptable balance with occasional dips. Can also depend on area/amount of enemies/spells/etc.

Thanks. Seems like the trade offs are not worth it, I’ll take a higher quality, stable frame paced 30fps over an ugly and unstable 40fps. I hope the next Steam Deck has a VRR screen with a range down to 30.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

If I want to load up my SD card before my Deck arrives, precisely what should I format the card to? And can I dump the files into directories of my choosing or do I need to generate a specific directory structure?

Mine is also on the way, and I’m gonna be on a shifty hotel wifi so downloading the games or using a wifi file transfer app is not an option. I did some research and it seems the best method is to transfer your games to an external USB-C drive if you have one. Then let the Steam Deck format the SD card, go into desktop mode, plug in the external drive, transfer your games to the Steam Deck’s game folders (should be steamapps/common just like in Windows.) Once the games are inside the Deck, then go back to the Gaming UI and choose to download those games. The Deck should find them already in its storage, verify integrity, and download any proton compatibility files it needs

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Just landed.

To nobody's surprise, doing Steam Deck initial setup on airplane wifi was a spectacular failure. I do not recommend it.

Now to try on hotel wifi! Maybe I can get this thing crackin' before my next flight :D

LOL I’m having mine delivered to a hotel on Monday. I hope the wifi will work for the Deck, if not Ill try to tether it off my phone. Unless FedEx delays them I’m screwed and will have to ask the hotel to ship home! Pray for me.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

What's a good power bank for the deck? Just got my email in.

I still don’t have my Deck but I know it’s compliant with USB-C PD so any modern Anker power bank should work great

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Anno posted:

Looks like the cyberpunk cat game will be Deck Verified.

https://twitter.com/A_i/status/1545198497376284672

I was actually searching if it was gonna be just an hour ago

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

If you can watch an entire Linus Tech Tips
https://youtu.be/oIYvPNtWZ34

This is asking a lot if Linus himself is in the video for more than one minute

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

POST YOUR TOP 3 FAVORITE GAMES TO PLAY ON THE STEAM DECK

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The diversity of the “3 Favorite Games” answers proves what an amazing device this is. I can’t wait to receive mine tomorrow… hopefully!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Does the Deck support mic-in? Would be cool to use voice chat for MP.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

It’s here! with an Xbox pad for scale. Installing over Hilton hotel wifi is slow as hell. And I had to use my laptop as a hotspot because the Deck wouldn’t load the hotel’s login page.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Google searching gaming sites results list Psychonauts 2 as Steam Verified, but it doesn’t appear listed as such on the Deck, or on the ‘Great on Deck’ category on the store. Did it get pulled out?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I transferred a bunch of games from an external SSD into the internal SSD and SD card. Even with a fast A2 Samsung Pro Plus card it was awfully slow to transfer those big games, maybe 3x slower than the internal SSD. But they run just fine. Games are made to be read sequentially on a slow drive. It’s only now that devs are experimenting with fast drives as a feature, in games like Ratchet and Clank on PS5. It’s likely that the SD card read speeds won’t be a bottleneck before the Steam Deck itself becomes obsolete.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ragequit posted:

Sounds like the Anker 713 (Nano II 45W) is recommended for wall charging. Are there recommendations for travel battery packs? The Anker PowerCore III 19,200 mAh might be a solid option.

This will be more than fine, I tested a smaller Anker version and it works perfectly. It even charges a Macbook Pro 16

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Just finished Tunic on my new Deck. What a great game, amazing soundtrack and art. Played perfectly on the Deck, like it was developed for it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Metal Gear Solid V runs at a very smooth 60fps with rare dips. It looks as if it were developed for the Steam Deck. Amazing. Can’t wait to beat a bunch of games from that era.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ShaneB posted:

I keep turning on my deck and it's in night mode screen, even without that scheduled to happen. Anyone else seeing that?

I’m having the same issue

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The FMV cutscenes on MGSV are glitching and playing in very slow motion. The game otherwise works perfectly. Anyone has this issues?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Dramicus posted:

I haven't tried mgsv myself yet, but you could try using geproton, it often is ahead of the official proton when it comes to playing videos or fmvs.

I didn’t you you could change Proton. How do I do it? Is it per game?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Dramicus posted:

Steps:
1) go into desktop mode (steam button -> power -> switch to desktop)
2) wait a few seconds for the trackpads to start working then open the discover sofware store (should be the second icon in the taskbar)
3) search for protonup & install protonup-qt
4) wait for it to download and install (takes a couple minutes)
5) then launch it and click add version -> choose ge-proton and click ok (it should automatically choose the latest version for you)
6) wait for that to finish installing then go back into game mode (click on it once and just wait a bit, it takes a second)

After this is done you can now do the following for any games you like

7) go to the game you want to run and click on the gear on the right -> properties -> compatibility
8) click force the use of a specific tool and choose GE-Proton

Thanks. I did all of that, I'm gonna be on a LAX-JFK flight tonight so I hope it's fixed. 5hrs of me and my Deck.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Anyone having problems starting Arkham City? It’s labeled ‘Great on Deck’ but it doesn’t start, I can hear the intros but the Steam logo keeps spinning perpetually. Tried a reinstall, and tried the Proton Experimental compatibility

homeless snail posted:

It's so easy to switch I usually just keep it on 60 and drop it down if I'm in a situation where I need to start sipping battery. The novelty of playing a lot of these games at 60 on a portable is still powerful to me.

Same. I can’t not play MGSV at 60fps. It’s amazing.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I had a $70 deluxe edition of Forza I bought on g2a invalidated after a month of use. Never again.

PowerBeard posted:

I finished downloading and installing Shadow of War, which was shy of 100GB. Here's hoping it runs and plays well on Deck.

I did the same, seems to run at 60fps during the initial scenes, but I haven’t reached the open world. Capped it at 40hz for lower wattage and feels great

pseudorandom name posted:

Posts on ProtonDB say you have to set it to windowed mode in the launcher.

This was it, thanks. Making changes to that setting screen was very annoying, just switching it to full screen took me like 30 seconds fiddling with the touch screen, then another 30 seconds trying to save it. If the game is marked as ‘Great on Deck’ isn’t it supposed to work without changes.?

Animal fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 16, 2022

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Tibbeh posted:

Anyone got any good indie game recommendations for the Deck? I've already got stuff like Dead Cells, Slay the Spire and Into the Breach on there, but I know there's more good stuff out there that plays well on the deck

Hyper light Drifter

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Into the Breach is excellent. I already have it on Switch but with this update maybe it’s time to play it on the Deck, I’ll be happy to give the devs more money.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Reek posted:

Deck owns. Started Into the Breach and it owns.

I keep feeling like I have the game figured out and it's going to be easy and then I do dumb poo poo on the second or third island and lose.

It’s very unforgiving but doesn’t feel unfair. And they were very clever in making it so that loving up and losing is just part of the plot.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Do people get cramps playing FPSes on this thing? I always get hand/thumb/wrist pain when playing games with a 3D camera on a handheld. The Deck seems better suited for those type of games, but it’s also heavier.

Just relax

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

PSA to everyone to go to their controller calibration and adjust the massive dead zone that Valve puts on the joysticks. You are giving up on movement and aiming accuracy if you don’t. I ended up with a DZ of 3,800 on the left stick and 2,600 on the right. If defaults do an unnecessarily large 8,000+ which means they don’t have much confidence in the sticks re-center accuracy.

Sadly the joysticks are pretty bad about going to a neutral center when you release them from certain angles, so a pretty large dead zone is still needed. A Chinese company called Gulikit makes HAL Sensor replacement sticks that center perfectly after calibration, which should need a very small dead zone and those give you a noticeably larger range of control. They should also be more reliable over time and immune to stick drift. Installation seems pretty straight forward except for a bit of soldering for the capacitive function on the sticks.

Animal fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 21, 2022

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ShaneB posted:

It is very good on plane tho

Whats wrong about playing with it on the airplane? I was on a 5 hour flight and it was great. Plugged it into an outlet and played MGSV at 60fps for over 3 hours. Hands never cramped like they would with a Nintendo Switch.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

It's weird how Dishonored 2 can't hit a solid 60fps on the lowest settings, yet bumping everything up to ultra only sacrifices maybe 0-5 fps. There's bascially no point in not playing it on max setting because it barely gives the game a performance boost at all.

Sounds like it’s CPU limited

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

homeless snail posted:

I don't see the benefit of VRR on something like this. Not saving on power and your performance envelope is only ever going to be like 40-60fps. Seems needless.

VRR would be useful if they could do a range of at least 30-90, then you could set a FPS or TDP limit of your choice (say, 90fps/15w).

The ability to set refresh rate to 40 has been great. Without that, I would have been screeching about the lack of VRR. But VRR would be great for those games that run at 60fps 50% of the time, 50fps 30% of the time, and 40fps 20% of the time. As it is now, I just lock them to 40fps. But would be great to let it fluctuate with VRR. Doom Eternal at native resolution is a good example.

Animal fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 26, 2022

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ok, I'm annoyed by how big the deadzone is on the Deck's joysticks. We have these amazing feeling joysticks with a great range of motion, but they are not accurate near the center so you need to move them more than it feels necessary to register accurate movement. Potentiometers suck and I don't know why companies keep using them. I think I'm gonna go with the 3rd party HAL sensor replacements from Gullikit.

Here's a video from iFixit explaining the problem and the solution.

Gullikit sells drop-in replacement HAL sensor sticks for the Deck.

Edit- found it in stock
https://topgamegear.com/products/gulikit-hall-sensing-joystick-module-kit-replacement-for-steam-deck

Animal fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 27, 2022

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

jokes posted:

Wish there was a way to improve the touchscreen. Maybe the next version!

Yeah the screen is junk even by Year 2008 standards. I hope they can improve it via software (polling rate?)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Into the Breach is a perfect game.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

loudog999 posted:

Will someone explain what FSR does? From what I understand I can lower in game resolution without sacrificing image quality. Do you guys use it in most games or is it case by case depending on compatibility?

It’s a slightly intelligent upscaler that tries to predict what the next frame is gonna render. Reduces the impact of lowering resolution. I keep it on unless I get ugly artifacting. Seems to work better in first person perspective games, rather than third person where it struggles keeping up with the unpredictable movement vectors of the main character (God of War, for example) which induces ghosting. So if Kratos suddenly lunges to the side, you get ghosting artifact in the area where Kratos just was, because FSR couldn’t predict that he wasn’t gonna be there anymore. Just try it out, the great thing about the Deck is that you can turn it on and off on the fly and see the immediate impact.

Animal fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 27, 2022

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kwolok posted:

Hey remember when people in this thread were swearing up and down that you'd never be able to run most switch games on the steam deck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIYvPNtWZ34

You are two weeks behind.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Switch vs Deck chat reminded me about local MP. Is there a way to play MP over wifi with the Deck?

I wanna play a flight sim with e.pilot while we fly a real plane

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

It would depend on the game, I have a USB powered travel router we could set up in the plane though.

LOL awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Wow, I have changed my reservation twice now (256>512>64, lol) since my launch day preorder. Valve is going to make me commit eventually this year.

Which version do you guys have and any regrets? I currently have a 64gb on order but would upgrade the SSD and/or do a micro sd most likely. Looks like you can get an SSD for ~$100 and I could install or just grab a big rear end sd card. Are the other upgrades worth it in your opinions? I doubt many have seen say the 64gb and 512gb side by side to see the screen comparisons but just wanting some opinions of folks who already have theirs. Money isn't a huge issue for which version and I will probably tinker with it either way.

I think you are overthinking it. If you can afford the 512GB get it. If you don’t want anti-glare and are planning to swap out the SSD anyways, get the 64GB.