Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
I'm assuming it comes from the adage not to preorder games, which is reasonable advice for games. Hardware's different since there's physical scarcity and everything. Valve is also doing it in a pretty friendly way, since it's just $5 that's automatically refunded to the Steam wallet if you don't go through with the purchase, without action needed on your part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks for this! I’ll have to try it later on.

It works well I understand. One thing to watch out for is that if you do not own FF14 via Steam, you'll need to alter the controller config because it tells Steam you're using Source SDK Base 2013 (there's some technical reason behind this, otherwise SteamOS doesn't reliably see the ff14 window in game mode).

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

daphrot posted:

also curious as to what shipping times are to california. i got a "shipping information sent to fedex" notification on wednesday (5/25/22) with an estimate of 6/1/2022 and currently hoping that it's not going to be as bad...

I'm in the middle of California; I paid on a Thursday, FedEx picked it up the following Wednesday (one day after the shipping info was sent to them), and it arrived at my house the next Tuesday. So about 6 days in transit including the weekend.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Kaddish posted:

My fan is a little whiney but far from unbearable. Feels really good in my hands but will take some getting used to compared to an Xbox controller. I "only" have 74 certified Steam Deck games :sad:

I'm not sure what is premium about the case. The other versions must be a paper sack or something.

Also also, the charger cable is indeed short relative to where my outlets are relative to my bed and recliner. What's a recommended replacement? Maybe just an extension?

The 512GB case has a color logo on the outside, white zipper pulls, and a grayish-tannish interior. The others have a plain white logo outside, black zipper pulls, and a black interior. That's all the differences.

I wouldn't recommend an extension from the USBC end, though a lovely lampcord extension cord should do fine to extend your wall outlets. If you want a longer cable I'd suggest getting a USBC charger capable of 60W or more, and a USBC cable that's as long as you need (I went with 10').

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

my poor deck

In this recreation of the scene I went to pick up my deck and slipped, and the deck slid down the couch to fall tilting forward.

the distressing result of the glass meeting my chair leg head-on

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I've asked them if they can do it and how much it'll cost me, just waiting on a response. I looked at the ifixit teardown and I would judge myself not skilled enough to get it all back together the way it came.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh that's kind of freaky that a lil drop off a couch on to a chair leg did that to it. I've hard dropped my devices so many times and they have been fine so I don't sweat it too much. My 2013 macbook air that i post on takes a hard plunge onto the floor like once a week and still looks brand new. I drop iphones on pavement with no case pretty regularly and they are fine. Also knock my switch off the night stand sometimes. Guess I might need to baby the steam deck a bit like I do my gaming laptop.

Like the other guy said it's all about where the shock hits. The middle of the glass impacting the corner of a metal chair leg is just gonna shatter it.

My deck took a fall on the 2nd day from roughly chest height because i forgot to zip up the case. It landed on its back and was perfectly fine. This one was roughly knee height from the couch cushion, but the surfaces were pointed enough and hard enough that it did the trick.

Valve told me they'll RMA it as a courtesy, which I very much appreciate. I didn't think a tempered glass screen protector was necessary due to the case being awesome, but once I get the replacement I'm absolutely going to apply one.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

Well Holocure just gave me an error when trying to install it using the itch.io app anyway, so I just added the .exe from my Download folder to Steam manually and used Proton Experimental.

Is there really a big problem with how Holocure saves on the Steam Deck?

The itch.io linux client doesn't download anything marked for Windows, only linux. It's kind of annoying since then you do need to download and add the game manually.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Slanderer posted:

I woke my Steam Deck up yesterday after having it in my bag for the day and it immediately popped up something saying the battery was drained and it was shutting down, even though I knew the battery was fine. Afterwards, I couldn't get it to start back up (maybe I didnt hold the power button long enough?). I ended up hooking up USB-C power and started it up, and the battery was at 99%.

Has anyone else seen this? Kinda worried that the Steam Deck could lock me out like this, especially if I don't have a charger with me. Hopefully its a software bug and not a hardware defect.

Sometimes the battery controller gets in a state where it doesn't actually know what the battery charge is or should be. You can reset this by fully draining the battery until the battery itself cuts off power delivery.

Shut down the Steam Deck. Hold Volume+ and press the power button, then go to Setup. Unplug the charger if it's plugged in, and then let the Deck stay on this screen until it powers off by itself. Try to power it on without the charger to ensure it's fully discharged. Then plug the charger in, and boot up the Deck. It'll be at 1-5% battery life; keep it charging until it's full, at which point the battery controller should be recalibrated and you should be good to go.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Slanderer posted:

edit: checked the teardown and it has a LiPo battery no gas gauge. great for consumer safety if you're not good enough to design property safety circuitry, bad for capacity and dumb as hell. fantastic.

I can't speak to how these things are designed or should be but I know the procedure was given by Steam support before. They've also had people put the system into battery storage mode from setup. I'm presuming this electronically shuts off the battery and it'll only start when a charger is plugged in, so it's in a G3 ACPI state rather than S5 so the power draw from polling the power button and other housekeeping things doesn't drain the battery to the point where it can't charge any more during storage.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Animal posted:

Does the Deck support mic-in? Would be cool to use voice chat for MP.

In addition to the unusually decent built-in mic mentioned above, the 3.5mm jack is a standard TRRS that supports a headset with attached mic.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Anyone played any games that use mods from steam workshop? I’m trying to load give XCOM2 a go and my loads are not seeing my subscribed mods (even though the launcher shows them and has them enabled). Tried in both desktop and gaming up to no avail.

I use a bunch of mods with Binding of Isaac and they all download, install, and load just fine. Could be an XCOM2 thing?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Tibbeh posted:

Anyone got any tips for emulating PS3 games on the deck? I'm trying to get Red Dead Redemption running on the deck but it's getting pretty bad frame drops

The Deck's APU is just not up to the task of emulating RDR, unless some miracle happens with RPCS3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omJUSOmuoT0
Other games can be fine but there are several that need more hardware thrown at them.

ShaneB posted:

Everything I've seen says PS3 is just not great. PS3 is a notoriously hard system to emulate, right?

Yeah, its insane Cell architecture requires a beast of a CPU, you'd want at minimum 8 physical cores so they can each be an SPE. Even then high-end desktop CPUs have performance issues with games like RDR or Uncharted or Infamous 2.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 20, 2022

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Xalidur posted:

Thanks! This is perfectly clear to my pea brain.

But it's against the TOS and what if they ban my account? :<

If you're that paranoid, you can go into the XIVLauncher settings, click the "Dalamud" heading, and uncheck "Enable Dalamud". Dalamud is the plugin loader, so with it disabled all XIVLauncher is doing is game updates and game launch, identical to the official launcher.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Golashes posted:

I can't really get the emulation station thing working with several platforms. I've tried PS3, PSX, and Gamecube and Gamecube is the only one that ran ok (still ran less well than it did on desktop). I could only get PSX to load in a core that I wasn't able to mess with settings easily in and PS3 just never loaded for me (had bios for both). I'm probably missing something stupid but I didn't really care because it's easy enough to run Duckstation on the desktop and work with that.

RPCS3 is more complicated than the other emulators; you must run it in Desktop mode first and install the firmware that you can download from Sony directly. If your games are PSN PKG files, you also have to install the game into the emulator from desktop mode.

Once I did that, Steam Rom Manager saw them just fine and loaded them up as non-steam games.

If you're using Duckstation for PSX, you'll want to change the control setup to EmuDeck's Duckstation control layout - it gives some tools and quick access to the menu from the left trackpad.

Sapozhnik posted:

The use of the term Thermal Design Power to refer to the processor's adjustable power consumption bugs me :v:

It's just power. The thing you measure with watts.

To be fair here you're also not directly setting the power, just telling the system it should try to run within a given power envelope. Just because you tell it to run at 7W doesn't mean the CPU actually burns 7W.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Trucker Hat posted:

I haven't messed around too much with emulation, but I did boot up Oni for PS2. It isn't able to keep a steady 60 FPS, so I try to play with the refresh rate & FPS limit but it isn't doing anything. Do those options not work with non-Steam games?

It slows down to around 40 FPS mostly during cutscenes so everyone is just slurring through their conversations, but also sometimes when I enter new areas.

The refresh rate and fps limits do not work well with emulators, because the consoles are only going to have dropped frames where the original hardware would. The emulator will still attempt to render all 60 (or whichever) frames but they'll get skipped weirdly. I know with a 40Hz refresh it was basically impossible to get SotN special moves to register.

To compensate for the slow hardware you'll need to dig in the options and figure out which hacks you can enable, or if there are any frameskip options in the emulator.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Rinkles posted:

How's performance? Jeff Gerstmann streamed some Blood on the Sand, and it didn't look very smooth if technically playable.

It's heavily game dependent. Dragon's Crown runs great, Siren: Blood Curse seems to run about as well as on my actual PS3, which is to say the framerate goes to poo poo as soon as you're sightjacking. That's all I tried.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I'm enjoying emulating old games on Deck. I also like to tinker with the setup, maybe just as much as playing the games themselves.

Does anyone have suggestions or neat ideas for emulator controls and hotkeys?

E.g., I think someone in this thread earlier said they had their deck set up such that touching a trackpad made some kind of radial menu appear with options like load state / save state?

I'm also looking for good ideas to incorporate hotkeys for things like fast forward, rewind, etc.

You could look at the EmuDeck-installed Duckstation controller layout: https://github.com/dragoonDorise/EmuDeck/blob/main/configs/steam-input/duckstation_controller_config.vdf
It uses the left touchpad to map a variety of keyboard keys, give them friendly names, and set icons and colors.

You could use a radial menu instead of a touch menu if you want, or go nuts and use the back buttons as mode shifts to give you a whole controller worth of emulator control keybinds. Steam comes with a bunch of icons out of the box and with those you can choose a foreground and background color. You can also add your own icons if you want, make 'em animated gifs, it's pretty nuts what you can get up to with the controller mapping. The Steam documentation site even includes an example of making nested radial menus: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/steam_controller/radial_menus

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Asking again about how to get PS3 emulation going. Everything else is working but emudeck doesn’t register any ps3 stuff and I thought I remembered someone saying I had to do something.
RPCS3 needs some configuring and installation done in Desktop mode. You need the PS3UPDAT.PUP from Sony, and you have to install it in RPCS3 through File->Install Firmware.

Then what you do with the games depends on the format. The couple games I have are in PKG format, which you also need to install in Desktop mode with File->Install .pkg. If you have a bundle of files or folders, those have to be put in ~/Emulation/storage/rpcs3/dev_hdd0/disc (or /game if it's a PSN title). There may be more to the bunch-of-files part; the games I had available were packaged up in pkg format so I can't verify that.

Once the games are installed they'll show up in the RPCS3 interface, and SteamRomManager will be able to find them.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

forest spirit posted:

there should be a thread poll on how much use anyone's deck gets, because I either hear people love them for planes or they don't touch them after the initial setup and new toy factor

I have some games installed on mine that i really do mean to play but this thing has been a binding of isaac machine for me. it's the default, what i play when i want to play something, and i'm putting probably 2-4 hours a day in it.

Chinook posted:

Deck arrived. It feels nice. It’s installing a biggish update. How do I get all the emulation running asap so I can never play with it again?

Do this: https://www.emudeck.com/

Some systems need a BIOS in /home/deck/Emulation/bios, put your roms in /home/deck/Emulation/roms/ in the subfolder for the system, and you're gold. Run the SteamRomManager desktop icon that gets placed, tap "Preview" on the top left, tap "Generate App List" then "Save App List" and you can go back to gaming mode with art for everything all set up.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

sigher posted:

This is awesome, nice that I can customize the SteamOS interface a bit now.

Anyone who's using EmuDeck, maybe you can help me: How do I get it to stop adding Emulators a la carte to my Steam Library? How do I get it to stop adding stupid borders to my retro emulated games? How do I get RetroArch to save the Shader settings I apply? I noticed that N64 titles running through RetroArch aren't using the full height of the screen and I'm sure it's something to do with it not being able to fit perfectly, but can I stretch it out?

It seems like RetroArch's settings are just constantly reset and the only thing that it saves is any game data but there's a lot of little bullshit I don't want to have to tweak anymore.

First, to stop the emulators themselves getting added you can use SteamRomManager to add an exception for the specific emulator titles. You can also use these exceptions to correct a title mismatch if there is one for the games you have. You'll want a keyboard you can plug in, or a remote desktop that's not Steam, because SRM forces Steam to close so you can't use the on-screen keyboard.

As for Retroarch, you'll want to reinstall EmuDeck but do it in Expert mode and uncheck the option to use bezels. That should get them taken care of, and avoid an issue in Retroarch where using bezels makes config changes not save with a game running.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

You won't get anywhere near the level of fidelity of the PS5 or Series X, I don't think the Deck really supports raytracing, let alone at playable framerates.

IIRC there isn't raytracing support in the linux drivers shipped with the Deck now, but the Windows drivers do let you use the RDNA2 raytracing cores that are present.

It's not very fast though, so when Digital Foundry did it they were running 540p and sometimes lower in supported games.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Athanatos posted:

From videos it does seem like when you transfer an exe to install on the deck it just becomes a clusterfuck of folders and installs. It all works, but I assume after a while junk just piles.

Yeah, if you put an exe in and have steam use proton on it, it does the needful to get a fake drive C in there and potentially any needed runtimes (msvcrt, .net, whatever). Turns kind of into a mess since it's just in compatdata/<big number>/ with no clear indication of which big number is which game. Even steam games you have to look up the appID to figure out what's what. But that's computers, after all.

There are, as usual, a few "standards" for where things go though many of them on Linux are more conventions than anything. There was an effort to have some kind of spec in the Linux Standard Base but it never caught on for a variety of reasons. There's the XDG basedir spec that Arch among others does use, mostly, which specifies some well-known directories and how to find them, as well as how programs should store user-specific data. Some things use it and many do not. $XDG_DATA_HOME should be $HOME/.local/share by default and programs should put their own folder under that; Steam does follow this.

Firefox, however, does not, putting its data in $HOME/.mozilla. Standards, am I right?

GolfHole posted:

Man trying to Mirror desktop mode from the Deck to any other monitor is a gigantic pain in the behind. Anybody found a method to this madness?

edit: I take it the Deck itself is a 'Laptop' screen
Why does it have to be rotated 270*?

The only way I've done that is by using Steam to remote play the Deck in desktop mode. You probably can get a VNC client and enable a VNC server on the deck but I haven't bothered with that yet.

Also the screen on the deck is a portrait-mode display which is why the bootloader is in portrait mode and desktop mode is briefly portrait before xrandr kicks in.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Mr E posted:

Is there a guide for getting FFXIV non-steam to install, etc.? Wasn't sure if I needed to do anything special, I remember seeing that the XIVLauncher worked I think. Guess it's time for me to learn to play on a controller.

Yeah, there's a guide they have here: https://goatcorp.github.io/faq/steamdeck.html

Most important thing is that it uses the FFXIV free trial game to get it to handle Steam input correctly, so you'll need to install that.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

sigher posted:

I don't even play Guild Wars or FFXIV but god drat why the hell can't a launcher access the same accounts? Is the copy of the game tied to the account too? If so just lmao

It's all contractual stuff. You want to sell on Steam, you have to make sure your users on Steam are also getting the DLC from Steam.

IDK why mogstation lets you buy stuff there, presumably Square Enix is remitting the appropriate amount to Valve? Online Store stuff only comes from them, but expansions can be from various key resellers, so Square might not know how much you paid for an expansion but will know how much was paid for any optional item.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

homeless snail posted:

The Emudeck script only makes CHDs afaik, and also whitelisted to only do it in directories for emulators that actually support CHD. So PS1, PS2, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox. Biggest exception is gonna be Dolphin, which doesn't support CHD and has their own compressed iso format instead that you need a different tool for.

The Emudeck script will also convert GCN and Wii to RVZ by calling dolphin-tool.

Looks like there is a maxcso binary in the github but the converter script doesn't use it at this time, so PSP is still out.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

This is a custom distribution of Linux that launches EmulationStation DE. It seems pretty cool for an emulation appliance, but requiring its own Linux install makes it feel a bit ill-suited for the Dreck.

Wouldn't mind if the themes were installable on SteamOS; it doesn't look like it'd be easy to just copy over because they say it depends on their linux system having stuff in the right places.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

I dislike interacting with Retroarch in the best of times but I'm finding myself very frustrated with it further after running Emudeck. For whatever reason I can't get any overrides to stick (such as shaders or hotkey settings) and have to reset them every time I launch a core, which feels like the config files not getting written to properly. I also can't "clear" some binds such as the hotkey enable setting, which is making setting up everything in that menu a hassle (and since no settings are persistent from the earlier issue that is a problem here too).

Retroarch is dumb and there are a couple things going on here:

First, core overrides have lower precedence than folder overrides, which is how Emudeck sets things up. So you'll need to do it as a content directory override.
Second, the main retroarch .cfg apparently can't be updated when overrides are loaded, so you'll have to open retroarch by itself or close the running emulator.

Also, shaders and hotkeys have their own config files and have to be saved separately; they're called presets and remaps respectively.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Valve uploaded a new video about the Deck news, none of which is new to the thread - the Dock is out, the software updates have helped a ton of stuff, and Decks are now available without needing to get in line.

However they also had to re-edit and re-upload the video, which is very funny: https://twitter.com/sitkinator/status/1578483336682516480?s=46&t=WDNo5I_zehnGb-fS0bs6pg

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Kin posted:

Ah, there was a number at the top counting down. I figured it was done when it reached 0.

I scrolled down in SRM and saw the games with missing images but I'll wait s little longer next time.

Some games are missing some kinds or dimensions of art. iS doesn't show art for me, even though it's listed in SteamGridDB. There's only square and wide grid art, not tall, and it seems like if it doesn't find a tall it doesn't put it on.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

sigher posted:

What's the directory you put all the textures in?

Should go in ~/.var/app/io.github.shiiion.primehack/data/dolphin-emu/Load/Textures/R3M/

There'll already be a couple folders in there as EmuDeck preinstalls the Steam Deck UI textures.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

Ah, gotcha, thanks.

Similar question - what do I do with the Scumm .bin and .cue files so I can actually play The Dig?

I've hit my quota of questions for the day!

You'll need to mount that as a CD image somehow, whether that's opening it on your PC with a disc tool or iso7z, or installing bchunk, converting to ISO, and mounting that ISO loopback. ScummVM can't load from bin/cue files directly. You'll have to copy the files mentioned in the wiki entry to a folder in /roms/scummvm/ named thedig.scummvm

Then you'll also need to create an empty file named thedig.scummvm in that folder, if you want SteamRomManager to be able to parse it and add it to your library.

If you want to use ESDE then you have to use the ScummVM shortname (dig) instead of thedig. The EmuDeck wiki points out that if you do the ESDE way, you'll almost certainly have to add overrides so SRM can correctly get the game name.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm just having trouble installing mod organizer, I think it doesn't play nicely with my microsd.

I haven't tried it myself yet, but in theory you should be able to use ProtonUp-QT from the Discovery store to install SteamTinkerLaunch, then set the game to use a specific compatibility tool and choose SteamTinkerLaunch. From there when you launch the game it'll give you a dialog where you can change the launch options to run Mod Organizer.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Kin posted:

Yeah I know what 7z, winrar, winzip are, etc.

It's just when I extract it from the 7z it's just a bunch of files/folders rather than a single iso like format that the emulator is looking for.

I assumed I had to run all of those folders though another app or something to combine them into the single file format that the emulator needs.

cemu doesn't strictly require a single-file format. There are a few single-files it supports but you'll commonly find RPX/loadiine or NUS archives; RPX has three folders, code meta and content, while NUS has a bunch of .h3 and .app files (apparently, haven't seen one myself). NUS is encrypted and needs cdecrypt to convert to something usable by cemu, but RPX is decrypted and just goes in a folder. so ~/Emulation/roms/wiiu/[gamename] has your game's code, meta, and content folders.

RPX is sometimes called loadiine; Wii U executables are named with a .rpx extension, and loadiine is the earliest/most popular tool used on a Wii U for running decrypted game dumps.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah Warpinator is for people allergic to command lines entirely. It worked alright for me when I used it, but files go to warpinator's folder and then you have to move them again.

Once you enable ssh you can just winscp/filezilla/whatever sftp client in and drop stuff right where it's gonna be. Also if you need to run any commands you can then just ssh in. I think Windows even includes an openssh client by default now so you can just run ssh from cmd or the terminal, which is handy for doing random command-line stuff.

Ciaphas posted:

(e) unless SteamOS does something funky with a custom systemd or something to protect users, you probably really don't want to use sudo systemctl enable sshd because that will make sshd start on boot. use sudo systemctl start sshd instead to only start it for the current boot

True, if you are connecting the deck to a big network or any network where there are untrusted clients you will not want sshd running, particularly if you only do the minimum by setting a passwd. The OS does not firewall it off and you probably gave your Deck a simple password like I did, and it is possible someone could brute-force their way in and do nasty things like install malware or steal your Steam login tokens.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 28, 2022

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Flint_Paper posted:

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences of the RMA process? Mine was picked up on Monday and the order status still says "Awaiting receipt by valve". Given that my first deck went missing thanks to Evri, I really don't want to have been duped by a guy in a brown shirt and a machine that goes "beep".

If you've had a unit repaired/replaced, how long did it take for them to receive it/get a new (or fixed) one back to you?

I'm in the US; when I sent mine back, it arrived in a few days but didn't get registered as returned for roughly a week after that. Once they confirmed it was sent out the next day, got to my place a few days later. Overall a fine experience, though that was before they started repairing rather than just replacing Drecks.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So does each user install the Steam client separately (or installed once as Administrator?) but install games to a common directory, and so when you install a game as a different user the client sees a bunch of the game data is already there? I haven't used Steam on a desktop before.

This is from a few pages back. I have a Fun answer.

Steam is definitely installed once as Administrator. During the installation process it explicitly sets BUILTIN\Users:(F) on the Steam installation directory, so any user on the system has complete ability to read, write, modify, and delete anywhere under the Steam folder (or even delete it entirely lol). I was thinking it'd only do that for steamapps but nope, the whole rear end directory is world-writable, I guess so they don't need a service or elevation to update the client.

Anyway the steamapps directory inherits that full control ACL so you don't need elevation to download a game from Steam, it can just do it. Looks like it does not set permissions on other SteamLibrary folders, but probably checks to ensure a user can write without elevation. I don't know how this would interact with multiple Windows profiles - does it check to ensure Users has full control, or does it only check the logged-in user?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently on a per-game setup you can set the resolution in properties, and even enforce it on the internal monitor (which can absolutely go up to 1080p, I just tried)

You have to change that setting to allow the game to see other resolutions than the default (1280x800, 1280x720 when docked). The internal display really is only 800p, but Gamescope will rescale the rendered window to the display's size so running at 1080p on the internal monitor is a kind of supersampling.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Is there any functional difference between the cheapest model + a whopper of an SD card and an anti glare screen protector & the most expensive model, other than a few seconds of loading time?

The one thing that can be annoying is the shader cache, which is on the internal drive and can get fairly large. So definitely:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, get Deck Cleaner installed!

It'll be handy if you ever need to take out a large shader cache. The shader cache is precompiled shaders for games you have or had installed, ready for use on the Steam Deck's GPU. Shader compilation can cause stutters or loading delays because the CPU is only so fast and they have to be compiled from an intermediate language into a binary form that works with the GPU installed. There's no need to periodically delete it, but if you notice your internal drive is fuller than you expect and you need some space, Deck Cleaner can do that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Mescal posted:

tell me if i've got this wrong. when you install any gme you'll get the .NET and... whatever frameworks necessary and they're all siloed and there will be a bunch of redundant ones that take up space. And iif you uninstall a game, it doesn't delete that stuff. gently caress shaders, this appears to be what's taking up my space. am i misunderstanding this?

Heroic at least puts this stuff in folders that have the game's name, so you can manually delete them.

I believe this is basically true.

There's not really a way around this exactly, because each non-native game gets its own WINE prefix, separate from the others, and what's installed in one can't just be symlinked to another. Or idk maybe it can and I'm just a linux dumbdumb, I haven't tried tools like rmlint or duperemove at all. Wonder if they'd make anything break.