Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I thought even JSRF - that's one of the main things I wanted - was kinda jank.

JSRF the actual game can be modded to support HD resolutions, same hack might make it run better on the Deck...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Vlaphor posted:

Jet Set Radio Future runs just fine on Xemu on the Deck. I can now play JSRF portably. I love this machine.

Tip about JSRF, it's possible to hex edit the .xbe file to enable HD resolutions, I've been able to scale it up nicely for my 4k TV outside the deck, but I presume the same trick would result in nicer graphics on the deck too. Here's the notes from when I did it: "640 is the horizontal resolution and 480 the vertical. These are reversed Hex values so. 640 in hex is 02 80 and reversed 80 02, so 3840 is 00 0F and 2160 is 70 08. So you would open the .xbe in a Hex editor and search the lines listed so search 80020000C7442410E0010000 and replace the 8002 with 000F and the E001 with 7008. This method also works with Ultrawide resolutions the only downside is that the Hud ends up smaller."

Been loving the Deck, I have an absolutely massive Steam library and it's been great jumping back in with something on the go. In less than two months I've beaten:
  • Hades
  • Tails of Iron
  • HZD
  • Titan Souls
  • Death's Door
  • Death Stranding
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Boneraiser Minions
  • Blasphemous

with just tons of poking at other small titles on the side like Full Bore and Dome Keeper. Considering Rain World or Shovel Knight next... or replay MGV... or finish Hitman 3... or... or....

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 27, 2023

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That's what's keeping me from trying out Lingo, which looks great.

Lingo doesn't play well on the Deck unfortunately. Biggest issues are joystick sensitivity not being changeable in-game, and keyboard reliance. Yes, you can just use a docked KBM I imagine (and use Steam Controls to address the other stuff if you're dead-set on playing Lingo mobile).

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 2, 2023

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

homeless snail posted:

This is wrong, remote play absolutely works for non-steam games. I just tried it out to confirm.

Yea I have a ton of non-steam games and it all just kinda works out?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Talorat posted:

Has anyone gotten Diablo 4 working on deck? It keeps crashing for me, but it appears other people are playing it fine?

Yes, it works pretty well. There's stutters in a few areas (town is bad) but considering the performance issues on the PC that's probably not deck-specific.

Steps:
-Install ProtonQT, download the latest version to Steam. There's fixes for D4 specifically
-Install Battle.Net by adding the installer to Steam, then forcing proton
-Add Battle.Net to Steam, forcing the above ProtonQT version in compatibility, and mounting your SD card via launch options
-Battle.Net should be able to install D4 to your SD card and launch it directly

Before using the latest ProtonQT version it'll barely run. Afterwords it's awesome.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

My D4 got more stable after I lowered the max fps to 60 even though the game obviously doesn't run at greater fps than that :shrug:

Took a video of my performance using Decky Recorder, which I think adds a little performance hit but gets the point across... I just followed the instructions I posted before and I'm using the default settings D4 gives the deck, along with Cryotools:

https://i.imgur.com/RZYIaMH.mp4

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

The lie about the 64gb deck being "just fine" is yes, the cache and shader goes on the HDD and there's no easy settings-based fix. You could throw a ton of smaller games on that 512gb SD card, but you'll never also get to fit all the caches on your HDD.

I use Cryotools to manage and move it all to the SD and it works fine, but if I knew how it all worked I would have probably bought a different deck. But Cryotools isn't just some bullshit placebo, I depend on it and SyncThing for a smooth experience.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I have tons of data I need to go into Cryotools or CacheKiller to clean up and I make sure to do so whenever I uninstall games. It's absolutely A Thing, and is why Cryotools lets you automatically detect and remove the files for anything not installed.

The last time I did this, it freed up enough space I was finally comfortable upping the swap file to 16gb like Cryo suggests. I have literally no games installed to the HDD, all 64gb gets taken up by required files, shaders/compdata I haven't moved, and utilities.

Edit:

Yea this makes sense, I'm running 4gb since it's all part of the Cryo install. I was a serious skeptic at first, but everything Cryo does has had a big impact on my Deck.
VVVVVVV

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 26, 2023

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Vic posted:

Can you check next time you run cryotools how much we're talking for what games? I'm curious.

Cryotools doesn't say the space like ShaderCacheKiller does. Compatdata is much worse than the shaders when it comes to many, tiny games.

Checking SCK, adding up my top five games: Disco + Hitman 3 + Lumines Remastered + Morta + Tomb Raider = roughly 4 gigs of shader.

Compatdata, each game I have installed takes up roughly 200mb each, with Lumines and Spelunky taking up over twice that.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Gonna post it again since people don't seem to be reading the install notes on it:

Cryotools only works if you install the game on your m.2

This is wrong information, a chunk of what Cryotools offers is to symlink data specifically to enable games on your SD card to also have cache and shaders stored there, and yes those benefit from the m2 swap file improvements.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't get how people use gyro. If you're rotating the screen you're looking at at the same time I don't get how you can be accurate.

If you have to move the screen a perceptible amount it's calibrated poorly. Snap-aiming in HZD was real easy, barely move the device, 90% of the work comes from the sticks.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I'm starting to get into Prey's game-sized DLC Mooncrash and it runs amazing, just turn off the half-shader option to fix text in the menus

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

After how amazingly D4 ran, I went to install Lost Ark but apparently EAC means that's also Windows -on-deck exclusive, unless anyone's got the secret sauce for that one...

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Supposedly people are working around the EAC kernel by copy/pasting a file from an EAC game that does support it, but then you run into missing .Net components not yet on Proton

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I'm playing through Mooncrash now and it runs super smoothly. That said, I prefer joystick+gyro to the touchpad personally.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Looking at that Humble Bundle, between Hollow Knight, Blasphemous, Bloodstained and Rain World the real standout people aren't going to recognize is Lone Fungus.

Picked it up for $15 and it was worth it. Lone Fungus openly takes most its beats from Hollow Knight in terms of freedom of exploration and upgrade/combat systems, but has a significant chunk of Celeste in terms of platforming ability and coupling new mechanics to new biomes. Massive sprawling world, and while I think I'm getting close to an ending I'm still not quite sure all the cool things I can actually do. There's a comedic amount of accessibility options for players who want an easier or harder experience, and the game does a lot to ensure the player always has viable new directions to explore.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Anyone asking about D4 couch co-op, no you can't do it at all on PC and doing it on Console requires two accounts that own the game. The whole idea is preventing two people from playing off one account, because gently caress Blizzard.

Game good tho

Edit: I'd been told the second Battle.Net account for the console needed the game as well, but seems like that might be mistaken.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 7, 2023

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I'd been told repeatedly the second Battle.Net account needed the game as well, I could be mistaken and will edit my original post.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Srice posted:

Yeah that's what it feels like for me too.

This is a reddit thread with someone with the problem & what they did to fix it: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/zdjcxb/mushy_trigger_resolved/

I figure this weekend if I get the chance I'm gonna sit down and try that fix out for myself since it doesn't sound terribly complicated? Otherwise worse comes to worse I'm still within the one year warranty so I could try my luck with a RMA if I can't get it fixed.

How did this go? Same issue with my trigger, considering doing this, the fan and a 2tb drive all in one go.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Any good drive sales going on?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Decky can get uninstalled on some updates, but it's still around and amazing as ever?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

ok finally got tired enough of managing the 64gb drive I bought the 2tb alibaba drive for $130 and a fan upgrade from ifixit with the kit.

what do I need to do once the drive gets here before I put it into the system? I don't care about keeping any of my data around, doing a full reinstall is fine (though I think everything I have should be on my SD card since I used cryo to move it over).

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Atoramos posted:

what do I need to do once the drive gets here before I put it into the system? I don't care about keeping any of my data around, doing a full reinstall is fine (though I think everything I have should be on my SD card since I used cryo to move it over).

Still curious if all I gotta do is swap out the drives but I assume I need to install deck's OS onto the new drive first?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hold on... Are you all talking about glasses that display your game screen on them? For real??

Yea it's like that apple thing but nowhere near that resolution, but also nowhere near that price point.

I've only heard good things, but still waiting on the next iteration of these AR devices

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Now I'm pretty miffed. I just had my RMA request denied, I've had my Deck for 6 months. I have the 'mushy trigger button' issue mentioned earlier in the thread and wasn't planning to RMA the device, but just recognized what I previously thought was a seam in my joystick is actually a crack slowly getting bigger:

At first I was asked if I caused the damage through dropping the device, but no I've always kept pristine care of my Deck and it arrived this way, I hadn't realized this was a crack. I was then told:

Steam posted:

Based on the information you've provided, we've determined that this damage is not covered by your warranty. This means your unit is not eligible for warranty repair or replacement.

I've replied asking for more information, but if the crack keeps growing I assume eventually the stick's gonna break.

Edit: Just got another response with a canned "Sorry this is not covered by warranty". Tweeted to @Steam and @OnDeck but this is terrible.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 29, 2023

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

'unlikely greying pube' a chief username tho.

how poo poo is a stick replacement? don't I need to solder that poo poo in? I've asked again for more details and made a thread on the Steam Deck community on Steam, maybe Reddit next? Feels dumb to try and blow this up but it's clearly something that should be covered

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Could also be cat hair

you're the winner

this is way too much analysis on whether or not I have small greying pubes and not enough help on wtf do I do about my stick slowly splitting itself apart

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I thought the Hall ones had square bases which led to some odd stuff with how they feel? I was planning on opening the thing up and replacing the HDD once I got the RMA'ed unit back anyways, if it's simple/cheap/doesn't require solder and generally an improvement I'd be willing to upgrade.

Still pretty miffed with how Valve is treating me, considering I have two issues with the device and I'd consider both of them reasonable reasons to request an RMA.

edit: ok drat the replacement is super easy, and cheap for 30bux. I'm still very angry at Valve and I'm going to continue to be angry until these are in my Deck.

edit: third time's the charm, kept updating my support request and Valve has accepted the RMA

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 29, 2023

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Update: After a third request that 'something really seems like miscommunication, this should be covered under RMA' I got a response that yes, they did indeed gently caress up and I'm very much covered.

Now I get to decide if I cancel my Hall stick order...

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I thought I'd hate Powerwash Simulator but with gyro enabled it's real good, there's more content (and more thought to the unlock progression) than I'd have expected.

Unfortunately I have a steam wishlist of 90+ games going into the sale and here, on the day I do the RMA, I end up buying a ton of games I intended on playing on the deck.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I've got my PC hooked up to my TV which means I've never docked my deck, but I'm constantly swapping between the two. Being able to sync the saves has just been amazing, and I realize how many titles I've just been churning through. Games I've beat since I got the Deck in January:

Hades, Tails of Iron, Horizon Zero Dawn, Titan Souls, Death's Door, Death Stranding, Hi-Fi Rush, Boneraiser Minions, Blasphemous, The Forest, Shovel Knight&DLC, Everhood, Dark Souls 3, Carrion, Celeste, Jedi Fallen Order, Witcher 3, Curse of the Golden Idol, Do Not Feed the Monkeys, Lone Fungus, Firmament, Donut County, Dead Cells, Diablo 4, Power Wash Simulator. Getting close to beating Hitman 3.

Firmament is the only one I didn't try on the Deck, and Jedi ran pretty poorly, everything else ran fine.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

So, update to this, because I spent two pages bitching about it.

Apparently if you go into desktop mode and open steam, it will start the updates and keep the deck awake for the whole thing? I just downloaded all of elden ring in one shot this way.

When did that start happening?

Hasn't this always been a setting in the OS? Can't remember where it is but iirc I'd set the same option a while ago when I was copying a ton of files off to my sd card, perhaps they changed the default?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Picked up:

Do Not Feed the Monkeys 2099 - The first is on sale and worth it, I beat that one on the Deck. It's a bit like Curse of the Gold Idol but with less Obra Dinn influence

Craftopia - Someone in this thread mentioned it as a good Deck game, it looks fun and goofy and I can excuse jank

Hoa - Platformer that takes influence from Ghibli, something I can play with the kids.

Mr. Sun's Hatbox, Nobody Saves the World, Griftlands, Halls of Torment, Momodora all games I've heard are good on the Deck and were on sale. I picked up Wreckfest but not sure how great that runs on the deck

now I wait for updates on my RMA

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Bremen posted:

That didn't do anything, though restarting the deck did, at which point Nova Drift showed an "Update" that's downloading the entire game. I'm going to put it off as setup weirdness unless it does it again.

This might be it, since ProtonDB suggests the game should just work without screwing with things:

https://www.protondb.com/app/858210

Theres some suggestions to try like launch options, but it should work without headache.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

bus hustler posted:

Sorry this is probably the most basic question ever but... which one is recommended to buy? My kid is 1 and I'm finally out of the "haha you can NEVER play a game" land & I'm about to start a work from home job. Seems like a great time to buy.

Is the top end one a waste? With the sale it's very enticing over the middle tier... but I'm skeptical of that just being psychology.

Is one trash-tier or not a good value or anything like that?

A few years down the road, but it's nice having the Deck when it's the kid's TV time. Also

Humongous Entertainment Pack
Metamorphabet
A Little to the Left

have been fun together.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Kept going back to the steam sale for more. Some quick opinions, though I'm still waiting for my Deck to return from RMA:

Haven't played but the price is right: Huntdown, Gris, Gato Roboto, Turnip Boy, Spiritfarer, Darkwood

Played and are good for the price: No one lives under the lighthouse, 7 Days to Die, Sonic Mania, Halls of Torment, Do Not Feed the Monkeys, Lone Fungus

Having beat both games, a little let down by Dave the Diver / Dredge. Dave's the better of the two, and while it has a lot of style and content (and gorgeous art) imo it never feels more than the sum of its parts which are all relatively shallow. It never really felt like a good exploration game, nor a great restaurant management sim, but it was certainly an interesting experience.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Got my RMA'ed deck back, they did a good job with it. Replaced the faulty/mushy L trigger and my left stick, and while the L trigger still feels a bit odd to me at the full-press, it feels better. My guess is it's rubbing up against the shell itself. Tested it while I drained the battery to install the new quiet fan and 2tb drive, which I just finished up. Pain points:

-I decided to disconnect the battery as they tell you, reading comments on iFixIt I knew the battery cable had a tab that's tucked in that you pull on. Some people reported this ripping so I went between that and some plastic tools to get it out. I saw at least one report of someone bricking their deck through shorting the SSD screw so I wasn't gonna risk it.

-The fan's power connector wrapped around the metal removable shell for me, and dealing with that was a bit iffy. The new fan had lovely glue around its power connector that made it hard to tell if it was all the way in.

-I was worried about removing the stickers going into this, but being slow and steady worked out with no tears.

-Might have tightened the screws a bit much putting it all back together, we'll see if I ever take it apart again. Front-face buttons wouldn't work when I re-imaged until after Steam finished all its updates then it was back in business.

In the end, the SDD swap is dummy simple, the fan swap only slightly worse. 10/10 would do again.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Vic posted:

Also all the launchers work on steam deck too?

I'll use the Battle.Net launcher as an example.

You can download the Battle.Net installer, set the installer as a steam app and then launch it to install Battle.Net

Then you can get rid of the installer and set Battle.Net as a steam app and you're good to go, and it'll show up in Steam's UI. Depending on specifics, you might need to click on the 'compatibility' checkbox in Battle.Net's properties in the Steam UI.

As an alternative, for the Epic Store and GoG I use Heroic. Heroic is a launcher which lets you log into/install Epic games. You can then either launch them from Heroic, or have it automatically add them to the native Steam UI.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Playing Remnant 2 and it's not really optimized for the deck, but it plays wonderfully over streaming. I don't use streaming too often, so figure I'd ask:

- Remnant 2 offers 1280x720 but not 800 when streaming. When playing natively, it works. Is this a game-specific issue/due to the ratio of my monitor?

- Gyro works when streaming....sometimes, but randomly cut out. Not sure if there's a way to stabilize it.

- I keep hearing people say good things about Moonlight/Sunshine, is that typically better than Steam's native streaming and would it address the above issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Hardspace: Shipbreaker is an amazing Deck game. Leftist 'chill and slowly disect spaceships' title. Similar gameplay vibes as Powerwash Simulator.