Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Looks like it's time to... hit the Deck :c00l:

Seriously though this thing looks pretty cool especially for the price, if I can use it as a mini-PC with a TV and keyboard/mouse for most of the day then it would be amazing. I'm a hardware Steam Link user still and pretty much totally rely on it to stream to my living room TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I'm not seeing the expected delivery date anymore on my reservation dealie, anyone else the same?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

FBS posted:

Did you get your order in pretty early on Friday? The consensus I've seen is that no date means you're probably in the first batch that should ship in December.

Fairly early, so for now no harm in hoping this is the case! It did say Q1 2022 originally but maybe I got bumped up somehow...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the trend is how long after 1pm EST you got your order in

Mine went through at 1:04PM for the 512GB, initially displayed as Q1 22, then no date for a few days, then back to Q1 22, then a few days later switched to Dec 21.

VVV I just checked again and I'm back to Q1 22 lol. I guess it's all up in the air anyways.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 25, 2021

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah yeah the fact that we have a handheld device that can play the entire PC ecosystem of games past and present - untold thousands upon thousands of classic games - well that's alright for what it is, but come on, the people want to know - can this thing run Switch games?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

JuffoWup posted:

I forgot to add one other bit of news too. Apparently some reddit people on r/steamdeck are proclaiming their pre-orders moved up from q1 to december. Mine is unchanged with q2 though.

Sweet, this was the case for me. December is very soon!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Quantum of Phallus posted:

no point advertising when it's gonna get delayed again

No, tomorrow morning I'm going to get an email that mine has shipped. I will it to be so.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It feels like there are a shocking amount of people buying this product they don’t really know anything about. I’m not talking about waiting for reviews, I mean what it actually looks like and has been advertised to do.

Technically speaking nobody has bought one yet, we've just put down a deposit to reserve the right to buy one.

There have been enough previews that I'm confident it will do the things I'd like to do with it... and what do you mean people don't know what it looks like? There have been plenty of demo units sent around to all sorts of people.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 1, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
That's still true and you should cancel your preorders if you are in Q1.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

untzthatshit posted:

Today was my Monday! Finally got that email.

Has shipping generally been pretty quick? Or am I most likely to have two more weeks to wait?

Yay same here! :)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Ah man, the right thumbstick button isn't registering.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 26, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah it's definitely more than a few anecdotes at this point. Pretty disappointing TBH.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I understand that, but my immediate thought on the issue was not "well from the perspective of a major corporation this isn't a problem."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Already have an RMA approved, can't complain about that at least for a Saturday night.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Veotax posted:

Still waiting for my replacement deck to be sent out. The tracking shows it arrived at the European site Valve is using on Wednesday. I guess I'll try chasing up with Steam support if it doesn't ship tomorrow?

My RMA was received last Wednesday (in the US) and they haven't shipped out my replacement yet either.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I'm still waiting for my RMA replacement to be shipped :smith: another couple of days and it'll be 2 weeks and I'll bug them again. Hopefully posting this causes a quantum fluctuation that causes it to be sent riiiiiiight about now.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Veotax posted:

Same, mine got back to Valve's warehouse on March 30th and they closed my support ticket a little while later. Opened a new one asking what happened, was told that my return had been received but not processed for some reason and they would look into it. Nothing yet, I'll chase up later in the week if nothing happens.

Mine was shipped out last night! Any luck on your end?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

chainchompz posted:

I live in an area that says less than a week according to that map, and it still took a week to arrive.

Has anyone added a micro SD card to their deck yet? I have plenty of space after loading the games I want to play for now but I'm eyeing some incoming AAA titles with pretty bulky data specs.

It's easy, just pop it in and format in settings.

I'm still enjoying my Deck a lot but I don't think I'll be going through my whole backlog with it, if only because some PC games I just won't enjoy on a small screen. Stuff like Crystal Project is great though. The trackpad is surprisingly good, I've had issues with others in the past where pushing to click would also move the cursor a bit but that's not a problem here.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Hey guys let's all take our Decks out and compare them

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
If you look at your PC's CPU usage and temps when downloading a game you'll notice they go up as well. Decompressing the downloaded data is a CPU-intensive process so having the fans spin up is to be expected.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Proceed... but watch your watch, counsellor.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Having a tech issue, not sure the best way forward here.

My OG Deck (preordered from the beginning) is having an issue with the power button. Over the last month it's gotten less and less responsive, usually took between 3-20 presses for it to register and turn on. Now it's totally unresponsive. It still clicks a little bit but it does feel like there's something physically off about the way it presses now. The deck is currently sleeping and plugged into the dock but I can't turn it on, tried plugging in USB keyboard/mouse etc.

I contacted Valve support but it's out of warranty and they want $185 + taxes to fix it. iFixit has a replacement power button but it has the caveat that "This part only replaces the external button face. The internal button switches or contacts are not included." So it's possible it could not help at all depending on the actual issue. Additionally, they don't have a guide on their site for the process of replacing this particular button and I would definitely need one.

The secondary problem there is given the power button doesn't work and it's currently sleeping and fully charged, I can't discharge the battery and power it down in order to safely open it up.

And even if I were to just sell it on Ebay now as is, I can't perform a hard reset on it to clear my data off first.

Anyone have any thoughts?

(spoiler alert, I already ordered an OLED yesterday -_-; but I'd like to get as much as I can out of this old one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

MarcusSA posted:

They just did an update for mine that now when I turn the TV on it goes to the apps rather than before it went to the HDMI connection last used.

Go to Settings -> General -> Smart Features and deselect everything.