Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

recently almost got pasted by an ebike going the wrong way through a red light cause if he stopped he'd probably get fired from delivering calzones
its a sick society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

waiting for lights is letting satan win

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

McCracAttack posted:

I had some car trouble at work today. One problem led to another until I said gently caress it. I'll just walk home. I'm not in a big city but I'm not out in the boonies either. I ended up walking home for two hours. About 75% of it was sidewalk.

My feet are a little sore but that's the very first time I connected all the places between here and there on foot. I live in the armpit of the southern US but my little slice of suburbia was actually quite walk-able as it turns out. It got dark about an hour in but it's surprising how little light you need to walk around as long as you don't need to worry about cars seeing you. The most stressful part was the rich suburb I had to cut through that didn't have sidewalks. I had to walk on the road and wave the flashlight on my phone so people would drive around me for the ten minutes I was in there.

I actually had a good time and I'm trying to think about how I can make this a more frequent thing for me. It felt good.

post the actual distance so we can judge your pedestrian prowess

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im a fast walker

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

good shoes? easy to catch a blister

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

walking places is my fav activity i like to go around the reservoir in the park most every day

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

monsterous

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CopperHound posted:

I just remembered something from my childhood that made me smile:

not even a single special cancel? weak ken play

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they made ferries a bigger thing around nyc and its cool but could be cooler

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is an at grade tram a street car?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

owns

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BonHair posted:

What a strange thread to learn that USA is ahead of the curve on cargo rail, compared to the much more American solution of cargo trucks. Sorry for being uninformed.

I am however completely unsurprised that you've managed to capitalism it into being poo poo.

we arent ahead by changing anything recently. we just built poo poo like railroad for coal to furnace and railroad for cow to slaughterhouse and made a handful of people into absolute lords in the 1800s and those positions maintain the same power today as they strip more and more from the system to make the absurd windfall they get from hauling the one kind of thing they want to haul go further and not cover any losses in other types of service.

a truck company is not gotta get a contract to haul hydrogen flouride across a state when warren buffet already has 100s of hydrogen flouide cars rolling through populated towns all day on the lucrative chemical precursor plant to chemical plant line

when you let independent psychopaths in a war against each other build your country thats how it looks

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ham Equity posted:

Do I want to know how close to the stadium the hotel is?

theres like a fence between the two parkinglots. they are mega parking lots tho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i don't buy the panic after an accident excuse because in america if you kill via vehicle its usually np

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tangentially to your ada mention i just noticed in ny they changed the wheelchair guy logo on handicapped license plates from normal chair guy to one that looks like hes racing really fast with his powerful arms. like a naruto run for wheelchair stick figures.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smythe posted:

where was one that served an elementary school but they chained that bitch up years ago and recently filled it in wiht concrete. thnx... ??? guess its better to cross a big rear end urban arterial to goto elementary school

a stranger might post up in there and exist though. thats very threatening

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its ableist to field test a drunk man's sobriety. may as well make a paraplegic try to walk

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

god i hate these frickin cars

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pull in front of them on the highway and use your windshield fluid when they get close behjnd you

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im glad they make cars for rich people to crash in too

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i drove today. im good for a while now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

you’re always posting about your luxury lifestyle with your fancy cars and taste in design and buying le creuset despite pages of advice in the cooking thread not to. now you live somewhere nice too? what is your deal, action man?

i got given a le creuset cast iron that is p good are they bad now? should i not replace it if it is ruined one day

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the cheap all clad or the super fancy series that still exposes you to cancer teflon but heats more evenly? i have a wok from their cheaper line.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

chicken thigh bahn mi is my new go to

vvv
900sqft would be a very big one bedroom in my city. thats how big my 2br is.

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 01:22 on Dec 18, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife likes cooking in le cruset

howd you chop her up so finely?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

for what it's worth I basically never take a left turn on a bike and always just get off and walk across like a pedestrian

it got beaten into my head that getting to where I'm going alive is more important than anything else

i stopped riding my bike a couple years ago when we got a bike room in the building and it was out of sight out of mind but i never rode on any road with cars i walked the thing 2 blocks home from the bike path every time cause its not worth the risk.

gonna have to get my kid a bike at some point and saddle up again for her but i kinda just love walking a lot and would rather do it instead until the car is outlawed.

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 04:09 on Dec 18, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they gonna close 5th for the tourists for the holidays and then reopen it most likely. doubt it will be permanent

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

rode my bike today

a nine mile ride is only good for 800 calories. we live in such a scam universe

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pedestrians in my neighborhood are super hostile to bikers cause they get surprised by them going through reds since they have car brain as walkers. bikes dont follow traffic rules therefore bikes are trying to kill everyone etc.

when im walking i know that a walk signal aint no guarantee of safety now that ive been near missed by delivery bikes a few times in the crosswalk so i just look extra hard.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the urban tour de france spandex outfit bike gear dad type guys in the park try and fight you if you make them slow down for crossings, heavy casual bike traffic, etc. i think they are only in the hobby to get into white guy rage mode.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

no bus? failed city

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We're a block from a light rail station, I am not putting my wife on a train during a pandemic with zero mitigation measures still in place.

Why people who no longer give a poo poo about getting sick over and over are choosing to drive that route over taking the T is beyond me.

works on my machine, op.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

withak posted:

Do like Muir Woods and require advance parking (and shuttle bus) reservations with a reasonable daily limit. It not like there is a lack of state and regional park alternatives nearby.

i went to muir woods in 2014 with no reservation it was pretty empty cause it was like easter.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Groda posted:

Dog ownership is the only thing more narcissistic than car ownership

full agree. you want to talk about making GBS threads up a city figuratively with cars but theres literal poo poo smears all over what little pedestrian area exists. the cat is a proud mascot of the home. the dog is a designer suitcase paraded around for attention, the owners feigning oblivious all the while to how much piss they are leaving on every block they haunt.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ardennes posted:

I think we can all admit there can be aggressive bicyclists out there, they just aren't the danger car drivers present. An aggressive cyclist can knock you over...but he isn't going to end your life. Honestly, a lot of it is just how bike lanes are done in the states (usually very poorly). I do think some cyclists need to slow down in populated areas though, it isn't a track.

Otherwise, I would say long-distance walking at the same time is probably the healthiest thing you can do for your long-term health. It is extremely low impact but still has long-term health benefits. In particular, plenty of joggers/runners can gently caress up their knees pretty bad if they go on concrete/aspalt (which they usually do).

That said, in most of the world, people probably can clock in 10,000-20,000 steps in a day with their daily life especially if there is decent public transportation. It is really the US where it is really the issue where no one walks, the food is pretty garbage, and for some reason people are depressed/angry all the time.

there are a few prominent "pedestrian killed by bike/ebike collision" stories that ive seen in recent years but its usually an old person getting owned by one and then the news acting like that excuses all the dozens of truck/bike slaughters that occur

https://abc7ny.com/bike-lanes-safety-cyclists-bikers/5473859/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

Someone being a stupid aggressive dickhead on a bike is a lot less damaging than someone being a stupid aggressive dickhead in a truck

yeah for sure. bikes shoot through a red completely hidden to crossers by busses and trucks in the right lane or travel wrong way in bike lane so crossers are looking the wrong way as the step off curb etc. one of those unlucky people is gonna be frail or whack their skull on the ground. we should solve the truck problem killing hundreds of bikers a year first im with you there.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-bronx-deadly-triple-hit-and-run-20230107-zwghylrw7bebbmknzsgh64vgee-story.html

this guy finally got killed being the victim of his 3rd hit and run

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

“People love seeing pain and failure,” said another YouTuber, who insisted on being referred to by his online username midlifecrisis101x

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Just went for a leisurely bike ride :)

monster