Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That's hosed up, you can't gouranga children.

Once I saw a lifted pickup with tinted windows and a flag mounted on each rear corner - one Canadian, one confederate. People booed the driver while they tried and failed to parallel park and they gave up and floored it out of there. This was pre-pandemic and this pre-convoy.

Anyway ask me anything about never owning a car. It's pretty simple you just let your learner's permit expire and then take a bike/transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Car sewer sounds like it could be kinda cool like the place where you start your adventure fighting tough mutant rats and work your way up to the mutant ninja turtles, or I guess it could be the tunnel where old lovely cars are flushed out into the ocean?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

this isn't really true for buses in the city .. they all have the schedules linked to google/apple so you know when the next one is coming, your phone tells you which bus to take and which stop to get out or transfer, it's more comfortable to travel in a bus whether there's traffic or not, and when you factor in not having to park or walk to the parking spot you come ahead on time for sure.

just my 0.2 miles :iiaca:

lmao, lol. Schedules are at best a suggestion. And live tracking of transit vehicles? What is that wizardry. Here our buses and trains regularly arrive 10-20 minutes late, or sometimes 5-10 minutes early, and that's how we like it, just learn to embrace chaos as your master.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Someone honked at me in the crosswalk again today, and I don't think it's because I'm really hot.

fuckin' Canada geese

Harik posted:

For reference, here's an average completely normal and non-violent car interaction, illustrated. My friend's bedroom, at night. Drunk driver went completely through it, nothing left. Had they been asleep at the time I'd have been at their funerals. This is after the guardrail, a couple trees and a power pole. All designed to break-away to keep the driver safe, hurray!

Driver fled the scene to sober up, no charges.

My ~wife~ was hit by a car while walking down a sidewalk and spent a few days in hospital plus has lingering issues. The driver pulled in to park, then suddenly accelerated into a brick wall. Literally one second away from being completely flattened or conversely, entirely unscathed. A detective contacted her later and after a few meetings said that the driver reported having a medical condition (possibly epilepsy) but also that they were a nurse and 'too busy' to be interviewed about the incident and that was the end of it.

I play hockey with a goalie who has had several seizures while on the ice and who's gonna stop him from driving? (mostly unenforceable laws in some jurisdictions, YMMV)

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Sep 1, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That's actually a fairly common ritual for SUVs to establish territorial dominance. You're lucky they didn't reach the stage of headfirst ramming - it's less common now but they are descended from mountain goats, after all.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Should be the top of every page IMO

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

We must avoid climate catastrophe in the coming decades to make a better future for Henry Kissinger's golden years.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I also hate motorboats.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I saw a big lifted pickup carrying a single bike but it wouldn't fit in the bed so the front wheel was hanging over the tailgate. lol. lmao.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wreckfest is a fun game where you can smash stupid cars until they break. It's not quite as good as Interstate '76 but nothing is.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What if we simply paved Rhode Island and left it as a resort for cars?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

New Jersey actually has a handful of towns with nice direct rail access to NYC. Orange, South Orange, West Orange, Maplewood, etc... the rail runs right through the town and it's actually possible to walk to the stations from your home, which is absurdly rare in the united states

check it out... a rail line that gets you to manhattan in 20 minutes, which isn't cut off from the town itself! there are houses, businesses, and restaurants on the same street!!
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7315728,-74.2756988,3a,65.2y,183.08h,91.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEHyzd8UoEeyGj1t-jBr9hA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

(NJ also realizes how valuable this is, and property taxes in those areas are absolutely absurd - much higher than in nyc itself)

It's also a $7.75 fare to NY Penn and then you have to wait at the absolutely insane NJT area at NY Penn to run to the single door servicing the platform that only gets announced max 5 minutes before the train leaves. But yes, I acknowledge this is top tier by US public transit standards.

Also,

Harik posted:

Any structure within X feet of a road (like say a bus shelter?) must also be breakaway. obviously anyone in a bus shelter has no value to society anyway, not like a good car driver.

so conflicted. Man was in bus shelter but has car??

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cars stink and they give you cancer.

Posting from a car so I'll probably be dead in 40 or so.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

America ... we're not an active warzone.

Well then how do you explain *gestures broadly* 95+% of the country?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a car is a bollard

Bollards and/or crippling fuel shortages?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

A sane society definitely has unsignalized intersections with crosswalks across 4-lane roads.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm waiting at a stop sign to cross a busy road on my bike. An SUV stops on the other side, signaling left. When it clears and I start to cross, the fucker just starts driving into me instead of yielding, and only stops once I make it clear I'm not going to just wait in the middle of a busy road.

On the way back at the same intersection, I'm waiting for traffic to clear in both directions. A guy in a red sports car comes from my left (going down the busy road where they have right of way) and stops, then honks at me to go while there are still cars going 25-30 mph in the other direction. I politely declined the offer.

I stopped commuting daily for some reason but every drat week someone is either trying to run me over or yielding right of way to encourage me to get flattened.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 21:35 on Sep 24, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/FuckCarsReddit/status/1573721985036730368

They elected a fascist tho but who's to say what's good or bad?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol, imagine electing sheriffs.

Real countries simply promote police chiefs internally so that loyal lifetime public servants arbitrarily decide not to enforce any traffic laws.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Drivers wave me to pass first or give me a generous amount of room when passing. There is little traffic.

Cars incorrectly yielding right of way is unhelpful and a dangerous game of chicken if there's more than a little traffic. Not to mention that most of the time it's difficult to even see drivers gesticulating through their windshields.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the absurd tinting that comes standard issue with every massive SUV that is sold today

I haven't seen many (hopefully illegally) tinted windshields, at least not as much as side/rear windows. I presume it's mostly the anti-glare coating (which I hope actually works for the driver) making it virtually impossible to see clearly inside unless it's overcast.

Also in Jersey it's hard to tell if you're being waved ahead or told to gently caress your grandma's dog.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

A Police Department vehicle crashed into another car in the Bronx and careened onto a sidewalk on Thursday, striking a crowd of pedestrians and sending 10 people to the hospital, including a 5-year-old and a 2-year-old, a department official said at a news conference.

The official, Jeffrey B. Maddrey, the Police Department’s chief of patrol, said two officers were responding to a report of a stolen car when they drove over the double yellow line in the road to get around a vehicle that was in front of them. But their car quickly hit another vehicle and veered out of control, mounting the curb and slamming into a crowd of people.

“Of course we don’t want to see anybody injured, especially when the officers were trying to do the right thing,” he said. “They were trying to prevent a crime in progress, they were trying to apprehend someone who was ready to victimize a good person in the Bronx.”

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cash for cars for kids?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Detailing is when you have someone follow your car around to make sure that cheating bitch isn't driving with another man.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

They have convenience stores inside gas stations so presumably the other corner of the lot is just as (unsafe)?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Brilliant response given that it wouldn't have been any different if he had been on a bike or walking on the sidewalk.

I think they're missing the real culprit here, which is clearly the sidewalk.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yes, all cars are bad.

As George Orwell once said, "two wheels good, four wheels bad".

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Oct 14, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

the buses were quite upset with this until the bicycles that had replaced the cars as rulers of the road after the revolution agreed that because a bus was at least twice the length of a car they are not a four wheeled vehicle, but rather two two wheeled vehicled that have been conjoined

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

cat botherer posted:

The testimony of a driver is worth that of infinite dead cyclists.

Meanwhile, this is my hockey rig, it slaps(hots):

Unfortunately there's no good way to attach the stick bag to the cart but on the plus side I can use it to joust with cars or other cyclists if needed.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

People in this thread get real exhausting with the negativity sometimes. I'm old and tired. The only thing worse is people forgetting that it's the anti-car thread, not the pro-bike thread.

[i love bikes]

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The comments are great and you can skip reading the entire article. I didn't get past "HSR isn't even profitable". GOOD.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm a Star Citizen developer. Here's why the Apollo program won't work,

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Japan is one of the most mountainous countries on Earth, and they invented highspeed rail so lmao at "the Earth is kind of bumpy" for talking about America

quote:

Japan, a linear archipelago, famously developed the high speed Shinkansen but like recent Chinese development, it must be seen in the context of very heavy-handed government subsidies and a response to geographic and structural factors that inhibited the development of airports. For example, while the US has more than 15,000 airports (most of which are untowered paved strips), Japan and much of China is relatively mountainous, historically relatively poor, and historically beset by relatively poor transport networks. Add to that various Japanese prohibitions on certain weapons technology in the post war period and high speed rail served as a government imposed solution to mass transportation.

It did not come without cost, however. Japan’s ostensibly private rail companies have gone bankrupt and been bailed out so many times I’ve lost count, racking up billion dollar yearly deficits year after year. Indeed, as far as I know there isn’t a single HSR route anywhere on Earth that operates profitably on ticketing revenue, and so operation always requires substantial subsidies. I should probably mention here that actual ridership and thus fare revenue is, as a rule of thumb, typically around a third of projections.

You see, Japan unfairly penalized the development of a robust airborne transit system, and now is stuck in a dystopian future with convenient and affordable mass transit serving the vast majority of its population. And then the dude wrote "but tunnels!" and Ashton responded:

quote:

Second is that Japan exists, has a ton of mountains, and constructed a bunch of HSR for a lot less money than California is. The latest line, Hokkaido Shinkansen opened in 2016 and cost a cool $4.67B for 92.5 miles of track, including a 33mi tunnel right in the middle of it. Not just a tunnel in fact, a tunnel under a straight to boot. So clearly HSR can be made in mountains and with tunnels for a lot cheaper than what California’s HSR will cost.

Meanwhile, the Ontario government is set to spend at least that much on an idiotic highway through mostly rich farmland so that one day their developer buddies can pave it over with more garbage subdivisions.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i'm getting loving pissed irl right now

Me too. I'm going to go out for a drive to relax after I finish this wine.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you want to reduce air resistance on your trains, just build your tracks at 60000 ft and laugh at the tiny insect airplanes below you. Call it Hyperloop-de-loop.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

WaryWarren posted:

Bollards not even once

The US still hasn't signed the landmine treaty, right?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol, imagine having a car to park.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/martinvars/status/1584650968368545793

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

some online sicko named Gus posted:

1. Get rid of the parking on main roadways
2. Get rid of the bike lanes
3. Get rid of 1/2 the traffic light and stop signs
4. Get rid of the street cars
5. Get more buses
6 Repeat.

#3 is worth considering as an annual Automobile Purge Day, if non-drivers can just stay home.

#4 is 100% right with the critical extra space and #5-6 are also correct so this earns a solid C- grade.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Junkozeyne posted:

If by street cars they means light rail why would you get rid of them in order to get more buses, they are superior in every way but cost (both money and intial effort)

That's why you get rid of bike lanes and street parking, so you can fit the ??hundreds?? of buses required to move the 300k+ daily riders/8-10k busloads of the top 6 streetcar lines in Toronto.

e: Toronto had electric trolley buses until the early 90s too but I guess they were too expensive to maintain.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Oct 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I saw an ABSOLUTELY NO HOCKEY PLAYING sign on a residential street and wondered what the gently caress people think streets are for?