Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

this pandemic movie is boring, stupid and annoying. nobody would be this insane. 3/10, can't even finish
Felt I was loving "done enough" with it last week after I was able to get a second jab into my 6 year old.

The advent of Delta, him starting kindergarten, and the cooler temperature has been slowly ramping up my anxiety since the beginning of summer.

It was November that really upset me, most notable Vermonts handling of 5-10 vaccinations. Which is to say loving nothing! February through April was all about having clinics in every town multiple times a week to handle those over 65.

For the kids? Nearly nothing. Scattershot school clinics with ridiculous long term scheduling from the early November availability. My sons schools first clinic was...last week, the middle of December!

It was all up to me to find where to take him (first shot availability 3 weeks after availability), schedule it, take him out of school early and time out of work to get his vaccinations.

If the state cared about kids as much as Boomers, it's hard to imagine that they couldn't have made a concerted effort to have school clinics in November and have most kids over 5 fully vaccinated going into Christmas.

Thanks for nothing, Vermont!

With his final shot last week, I felt like I could take a breather. I no longer feel SO anxious about him being unvaccinated although it doesn't change my behavior in the slightest (masked in public, no eating out, etc).

So I had like half a week before Omicron's earnest rise in the US pulled me back into this lovely show.

At least this thread isnt the dumpster fire like the one in d&d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Holy poo poo, I'd be beside myself if I had a child that young

Is there really no way to test by specific year age?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Dear Penthouse Forum,

I never thought this would happen to me, but thanks Covid for helping me gently caress up a family Christmas!

This weekend we are with my wife's family. We are staying at her mother's and at her request we all did rapid tests before driving down. Went to her father's and all wore masks because they were not able to get rapid tests.

Tonight I really hurt my sister who for the past month has been looking forward to hosting a small Christmas get together for our side of the family this week. Tonight I asked if her family could get quick tested for us to come and she had a melt down, upset at my implication that the semi regular testing that various (but not all) members of her immediate and extended families have been doing is not sufficient for us.

I...get it. My sister really thinks that she's been doing all she can navigating Covid. Entire family of six is fully vaxxed and boosted. Last week she sent her daughters try to pick up tests (before this ask of mine today) and were out. My nephew is vaccinated and works as a cook but refused to go back to the restaurant after an outbreak (and tested negative), also last week. She and her husband feel extremely frustrated being in the middle of my fully vaxxed and Covid fearing family and her husband's vehemently antivax brother (good on the news of the middle underaged child somehow getting vaccinated over his mother's wishes but how can both the daughter and mother be respectively working in elderly and hospice care, get tested weekly, but not be required to vaccinate?). That side of the family wont be at this get together, but they did get together as usual on Christmas morning yesterday.

My sister was also still emotionally raw today at our (fully vaxxed, fully boosted) parents not willing to brave black ice either in their own car or my sister's kids picking up/dropping them off yesterday on Christmas Day. I...get it. I really do.

At this point she's beyond the point of any further suggestion/negotiation (my wife would go along with everyone being in K95 masks).

So at the monument I feel like a human formed piece of poo poo, telling her my family would not be able to come this week. My wife and I talked it over and our compromise position is for me to go wearing a K95 mask without her or our son. I will also be able to drive our parents both ways, who live close to me.

Thanks Covid for another wonderful holiday season!
Love,
Cheesus

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

El Mero Mero posted:

Just the reminder while everyone's waiting to open the christmas present deathcount numbers that those aren't even the start and nobody loving talks about this at ALL
Eyes seen to glaze over when I mention my concern with long Covid.

I'm unable to tell if their looks are due to Covid exhaustion or if they dismiss such talk as if I were a hypochondriac.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

mystes posted:

Luckily Chise of Bloomberg Fursuits is reporting that Cats is still on.
Those suits have buttholes?

Asking for a friend.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Legitimately good news.

Maybe I'm suffering for information and misinformation overload, but "oh, maybe summer 2022" said infuriatingly casually from some news source seems to be what's been stuck in my brain for the past month.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
A co-worker in the Denver/Boulder area has had his power going out today. After an ETA of around 6pm, Xcel told rescinded the estimate to no estimate at all.

I'm paranoidly wondering if we're reaching a point where our infrastructure is beginning to lack non-sick employees to fix problems.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
I can't think of a more personal, literal definition of "Hell on Earth" than Colorado right now.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Only one restaurant? There's like 20 with the same sign within 5km of me. And that's with like 20% of shops permanently closing due to lockdowns.
In my nook in Vermont, none of the restaurants closed and nearly all leaned heavily into takeout with online ordering. Previous to March 2020, all takeout was strictly phone and a good 20% of the time, someone would be "lost in translation".

Until recently with an unvaccinated 6 year old I had no choice but to exclusively order online (even before Omicron I had no intention of changing that behavior). Since they started using online ordering there's never been a problem with any order and my preference for it has largely become a requirement these days. So much so that when I go to a website and don't see online ordering, I almost always punt and look elsewhere.

To circle back to actual Covid, the one restaurant we takeout more than others (and for reference, we only take out once a week) announced that due to the increased number of Covid cases in our county (not the usual "worker has it") they are going back to takeout only for a week or two. And a regular patron it doesn't affect me at all.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Suzera posted:

Excited to get 10s of thousands of micro strokes per day.
I believe they're being marketed as "mild-o strokes".

Tha sounds better, right?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

The Saucer Hovers posted:

lol at all you "ive never smoked anything" people

:wtc:
Growing up with one grandparent dead at 60 from a lifetime of smoking (starting at 10 years old) and two others indirectly. A mother who was constantly sick growing up in a smoke filled house not sick as often after marrying my non-smoking dad.

What's wrong with me for not wanting to pick it up?

To use a modern analogy, it seems like all the cool kids are going around maskless in stores and eating at restaurants. Maybe I should too!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

quote this post if you havent been rona’d yet
So far so good.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Isn't this how we get orcs?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
US lawmakers: How can we throw gasoline on this already raging fire?
https://www.wcax.com/2022/01/14/rep-peter-welch-calls-white-house-investigate-nursing-agencies/

quote:

BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) - Vermont Congressman Peter Welch is calling on federal authorities to investigate possible price gouging with traveling nurses.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Asproigerosis posted:

LOL, travel health care workers have literally nothing to do with the how much the service costs, they aren't loving private contractors personally negotiating terms. They work for a company that sends them the offer sheet and they say yes/no to a job.
Yes, that's my point.

I think if the government were to step in and control pricing for these services, which would result in lower offers to traveling healthcare employees (many who are apparently working as travelling nurses because the pay is so much higher than their "local" hospitals even if they aren't getting benefits), said employees will just nope the gently caress out.

https://twitter.com/dhtoomey/status/1470522144287252489

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Just received email from school that my (vaccinated) 6 year old was in contact with someone with covid in school yesterday.

HERE!
WE!
GO!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Seeing weird regional and certain-types-of-food weirdness in my area during this stage of the pandemic.

Like other areas of the country, shortages of certain types of food. A month ago it was a type of yogurt my wife likes. This week I think it was cream cheese in several stores in the "big" city 20 miles north of us.

But not so much of shortages of food in our small town but still chain store (Hannaford). Couldn't find that yogurt last month but they has cream cheese this week.

Thing is, as mostly vegetarians we don't consume a lot of dairy and no meat so we're not very impacted by these shortages.

However this week I've seen a lot of discounts on frozen vegetarian food like Field "chicken' and non meat mini corn dogs at 50% off. Also Beyond crumbles. That price may not be enticing to those who consume meat based products but for those of us who are semi vegetarian and have this frozen junk once a week, it's kind of a boon.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

sonatinas posted:

lol lunchables are completely gone again at local target, even the target brands
"Please help me feed my kids! They're dying!" I cry, ignoring the blocks of cheese and uncut summer sausage in the next cooler over and the boxes of Ritz crackers in the next aisle.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

cr0y posted:

Who makes Benadryl
Pretty sure anyone can make it with piss, gelitan, and cayenne pepper.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

WrasslorMonkey posted:

https://twitter.com/ctvwinnipeg/status/1484008770804105217?s=21

"The company fully supports these guidelines and therefore requires all employees to wear a Canada Post-supplied face covering, which is either a reusable cloth face covering or a disposable medical mask," the spokesperson said.
Canada: forever "hold my beer"ing to it's bigger brother.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
He'd do anything for love, but not that.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Platystemon posted:

Lead levels had a looooooong decline.
Yes. Leaded gasoline may have started being phased out in 1973, but it was apparently not completely ceased until 1996.

My parents bought a small grocery/convenience store in 1982 that did not have any self-serve capacity. Me at 9 and my sister at 8 had to ask customers "Regular or unleaded?" before pumping the gas for them. This happened for several years until our parents finally got self-serve installed, somewhere around 1985. I vague recall regular gasoline being eliminated at their store in maybe 1990.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Joementum posted:

people refusing to vaccinate their kids is going to continue to be a huge problem

Yes, but it only becomes a problem if Vermont lifts its school mask mandate.
https://www.wcax.com/2022/02/08/watch-live-scott-covid-briefing/

quote:

Scott said he has heard from some students who may be fine with wearing masks themselves, but said that they forgot what some of their classmates looked like over the past two years.
Solid loving reasoning.

Guess my kindergartner is getting covid. :(

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

silicone thrills posted:

Eh I disagree. I like the concept of burgers and sandwhiches so using an impossible patty is great because it carries all the other stuff i want on it. I dont want to completely give up the burger as a meal but i dont wanna contribute to climate change and enviromental destruction so various patties make up that gap for me.

i also use the ground "meat" to make taco meat and its great.
Agreed on both accounts. I really like using crumbles for taco meat.

I'm also one of the weirdos who likes the non-meat patties that don't even try to taste like a burger.

And I'm an omnivore. While my diet is primarily vegetarian/vegan, I do occasionally (maybe once a week or two) satisfy my inner meatatarian with a real beef burger.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

im gonna take fiz’s advice on this one
It's fine to Google for it....

... Just don't image search for it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

gradenko_2000 posted:

as far as I can tell, the mentality is that "it's what the government tells us we should be doing, so I will follow that [and no further]". If you just ape whatever the CDC says (or what the TV tells you is what the CDC is saying, etc.), then you can be wearing an N95 one week, and then dropping it the next. It's only incongruous if you understand WHY you're wearing the mask, but if don't understand, and never tried to understand (and maybe that's not always someone's fault), then there's no contradiction to be formed in your mind.
Spot on. This is exactly the mentally I've experienced with my sister.

It made for a very uncomfortable discussion about the past holidays. I loving loved being in the position of "yes, you're doing everything the government says you should be doing but it's not enough for me and my family."

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
How common is it for a household of three where one member has home-tested positive for covid and the others don't get it after nearly a week?

My wife and I were fully vaccinated with Pfizer/Moderna by June and boostered in December. Our six year old was fully vaccinated by the week before Christmas.

Last Tuesday we got our third "your child was exposed to covid yesterday" email from the school since the start of the year . He was negative on Friday but positive on Saturday. Figuring "welp, here we go", I took a test and was negative. But that Saturday afternoon I had a lesser (don't make me say "mild"!) feeling of the drained feeling I had after my second shot (booster didn't affect me) so I was confident that of course NOW I've got it. Our son's only symptom was a runny nose. None of us masked or isolated.

Wife tested negative on Sunday. I tested again on Monday and FINALLY it showed up as....negative? Monday we tested our son again and he was still positive (line was fainter than Saturday if that means anything). I tested negative again on Wednesday. My wife went to a clinic for a test yesterday and her results today are negative.

How is my family is doing covid wrong?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Paradoxish posted:

I'm at the point where I'm not going to berate anyone for giving up, because there's absolutely zero help coming and you need a really strong personal support structure and job situation to avoid doing damage to yourself personally or financially. This breakdown was inevitable as more people caught COVID because now all the survivors are saying "see, it's no big deal, I'm going to go do whatever I want." Meanwhile, the dead can't talk and no one is standing up for long COVID sufferers.

It's worth remembering that tons of us in this thread know people who have lost close family members, and those same people are still out doing whatever and treating COVID like it's nothing. People going full tilt Open Biden doesn't mean that they're all unaffected or that COVID isn't a big deal.
I've been "over it" since just after Christmas. That was when my state stopped doing testing in schools and contact tracing. When I bitched about it (I have a six year old), I got an "actually that's a good idea..." response from my sister who is a ....teacher.

I can read the room; nobody gives a poo poo. I mean, most really never did, but those figurative masks of compliance have been coming off since around mid-January around here. I still see around 50% wearing them in grocery stores, but going to Costco a few weeks ago was simultaneously a mind blower and an "of course" with maybe 25% of us wearing them.

Everyone is convinced they've done "the right thing", "did what they were told" and now they're being told "it's over". I've got nothing to fight that that doesn't make me sound like a conspiracy nut.

Also, I'm tired of fighting. My feeling isn't "gently caress 'em all", it's "I just don't have the strength to care about any of you anymore. I don't pray for you to get infected, I just don't give a poo poo if you do."

I'm not letting up on my personal habits and behaviors, but I can see there's a long road ahead for me, starting with my family. My wife is convinced that since our son tested positive last month (she and I did not), he's immune and so we're good to go back to restaurants and indoor activities like that. I continue be pleasantly surprised when I picked my kid up from school that he's still wearing his mask, but yesterday as we walked to the car, he took his off and said "Daddy, we're outside now; you can take your mask off!"

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
In Vermont:
https://vtdigger.org/2022/03/03/vermont-drops-indoor-school-masking-guidance-in-2-weeks/

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Greg Legg posted:

Unfortunately I get the feeling that masks will be back soon.
I honestly and truly believe they're never coming back. The country, our state, municipality will never again in our lifetimes mandate mask usage.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

skooma512 posted:

Was walking back with my lunch with my mask on because I didn't feel like taking it off and it's windy and when I passed some Karen turned to her friend and whined "Why are people wearing masks outside"
This year I've been going out with my kindergartner to wait for the bus. I've felt it tremendously hypocritical to make him wear a mask and not me, so I've worn one every morning in solidarity.

Once the temperature started hitting the 20s, something I didn't really mind in the first place became something I was actually and truly thankful for.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Lol. So this is what Darren Lamb is talking about when he continually says that instead of Andy Milman's show When The Whistle Blows.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Pillowpants posted:

Caveat for Bad weekend reporting - but..

Last week - I pointed out Georgia had spiked from ~300 a day to 600 a day. It has settled to around 500 a day. New York has seen 4000 Covid Admissions in the past 5 days, compared to 2000 in the five before that
March: In like a lion and out like a lamb?

Or will this be in like a lamb, out like a lion?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Pingui posted:

On Aug. 3, the most-red and most-blue states had the same rate of per-population deaths. Since then, the number of population-adjusted deaths in heavily blue states has increased by 69 deaths per 100,000. The number in heavily red states has increased by 137 deaths per 100,000, almost exactly twice as much.
Nice!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Anyone else finding themselves in a situation where their spouse is buying into the Biden propaganda and those irritating and increasingly uncomfortable facts are becoming more meaningless? If so, how are you handling it?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Steve Yun posted:

god drat that thread is a tear
I gasped when I saw the photo of angle grinding using ones feet as a vice. Holy poo poo.

I don't want to know how they "use" a table saw.

All par the course for us idiot Americans.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Pingui posted:

If you think about it though, the human body has an excess of appendages or spares, which can (safely) be removed as they are effectively redundant. You don't really need two arms or two lungs.
Thanks for putting it that way.

I didn't think that I needed an explicit explanation to explain the worlds collective view of dealing with Covid, but I appreciate how you explained it through the lense of individual personal safety.

We kind of do have too many people, don't we?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
In Vermont, we're somehow learning that....COVID isn't actually over?

quote:

https://www.wcax.com/2022/03/09/how-students-are-dealing-with-middlebury-colleges-biggest-covid-outbreak/
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. (WCAX) - Middlebury College is still in the throes of its biggest COVID outbreak to date, with 135 active cases. Compare that to 195 new cases announced in the entire state of Vermont on Wednesday.

When you look at positivity rates, the school’s is more than twice that of the state.

Our Melissa Cooney went to Middlebury to talk with students and the college about life on campus during this uptick in cases.

Navigating pandemic guidelines is second nature for college students.

“Our daily routines went on, we got tested, went to class, people quarantined,” said Brendan Maykeo, a Middlebury student.

But, like everywhere else, people are still getting sick.

“I honestly didn’t expect it to get this bad on campus,” student Sade Awodesu said.

Some 99% of the student body is vaccinated. The staff is 98% vaccinated.

The college PCR tests students weekly and antigen tests have been distributed during this surge, where the school has seen its highest case count since the start of the pandemic.

It’s important to note most students report very mild symptoms or none at all.

“What we’re really trying to focus on also is the severity of symptoms. That is really a more accurate and more relevant data point,” said Smita Ruzicka, the vice president of student affairs at Middlebury College.

The college says it is approaching a place where they can steer pandemic management into an endemic phase thanks to high vaccination rates and thorough protocols.

“It’s slowly shifting the mindset from sort of, again, a top-down restrictive, prescriptive set of policies to really a shift of thinking about personal responsibility, community responsibility and a shared sort of working toward, you know, sort of living with COVID. But we talk about it doesn’t mean that we let our guards down,” Ruzicka said.

The indoor mask mandate is still in place on campus but it’s not clear for how long.

“I’m just hoping that after this spike, the school will drop the mask mandate. I don’t think it’s needed any more,” said Brendan Maykeo, a Middlebury student.

“It’s difficult because everywhere else is lifting restrictions, but I also think we need to be sensitive and take care of our most vulnerable,” student Lauren Garcia Still said.

Ruzicka says the school takes a look at masking policies every day.

“Think we’re going to continue to assess that and continue to think about what are the benefits of continuing with an indoor mass policy. What are really, quite frankly, also the challenges of continuing that when the state is moving away,” Ruzicka said.
I feel pretty stupid.

In watching the daily state dashboard with our county (#7 in population) being at the top of cases for the past week, it didn't occur to me that of course Middlebury College would be a prime culprit for outbreaks.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
"What's round on both sides but severely inflamed and coughing in the middle?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Paradoxish posted:

So many people legitimately bought the idea that the kids don't get sick and that COVID isn't transmissible in schools.
It was an argument my wife brought up tonight in response to my concerns over our district going mask optional on Monday.

Would not even let me get out my opinion that this "open it all up" is going to fast and that I would like our son to continue making for the next two weeks of the month. Not the end of the year, just the next two weeks to see how things go. To say nothing about bulldozing me with her "evidence" of believees from talking to other parents and not letting me get a word in with any other fact based evidence.

She actually pulled a loving "masks suck and if you think he should keep wearing one, you should wear one here at home too"

I'm in bed early and seething over how I'm being treated.