Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Rescue Toaster posted:

Two mask related questions:

1) Has anyone seen any rolls of foam tape like what's inside auras on the nose strap? Auras really don't fit my face well especially around the chin, but the nose is great. I have some cheapo vented N95's from the HW store back in Jan 2020 that are fine but don't seal amazingly around the nose. I have some other really good N95's that work pretty well and are molded, but maybe 1/3 of the time the mold varies a bit and isn't quite the perfect shape, and adding a little conformal foam would seal the top perfectly. Is this stuff just weather stripping basically?

2) Is everybody wiping off their elastomerics with alcohol, or taking them apart and washing them every time? Or just doing nothing? Especially since you can't always let them sit for days and days like with cycling masks. I've been completely disassembling and washing but that seems like it'll wear out parts quick. And wiping the outside of the cartridges with alcohol wipes sometimes.
for 2 i wash my secure click every month or so,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKkFMyGkR0g
this is more to control getting random pimples and poo poo on my face from use
also depending on the day i may wipe it down quickly with a clorox wipe

Platystemon posted:

Do you also change your clothes after every outing? There was a time when I did, but I haven’t in a long time.

I don’t decontaminate respirators after each use. I only clean them as I would in shop use, i.e. for ordinary grime. The part that contacts my face gets a rubdown with seventy percent alcohol daily. The exhalation valve gets removed and cleaned as necessary, depending on use.

The outside I more or less leave be. I do wipe it down occasionally, certainly if there’s dust on it, but it’s not much of an infection risk. I sanitize my hands with the seventy percent alcohol I carry before handing the respirator to remove it, and I sanitize them again after I’ve set it down.
yea more or less this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

Sure, in between waves.

But how are you going to know if we're in between waves now that we've gutted testing, reporting, and there's a huge societal push that Covid is over so nobody's talking about how they heard their neighbors got sick with it?

Teenage Riot posted:

Posts per day in this thread
lol lmao

double lmao that all of this is sound loving advice

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

:nice:

said before will say again, i foresee my toddler getting vaccinated when they turn 5 lol

also any word on boosters for 5+? lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

T-Paine posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1500566933560823813
6 million, I wonder what the real number is. 12 at least right?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

india probably makes it to a couple mil by itself, so yeah

FunkyFjord posted:

My extremely uneducated guess is somewhere between 9 and 15 million.

mastershakeman posted:

1.5m us
1.5m eu
1m Rus
4 India
1m southern hemisphere?

9m right there

mdemone posted:

India is more like 10M but we'll never have anything close to confirmation of that

Chamale posted:

The real number is around 20 million, based on excess death figures where available and extrapolating to other countries.
yeah my best guess is 15mil+ at a bare minimum, 20 sounds legit imo
but i'm a dumbass who wears a mask when open biden is here and covid is over so who knows

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

~20 million is the accurate global number - look at excess deaths.
For context, AIDS has done about 36 million, but it's taken it over three decades to do it. COVID-19 has done 20 million in under three years.

Lmao.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s this 2/3 to 3/4 of the population probably got Omicron.

Time to scramble over the bodies to brunch motha fuckaaaaaa

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pingui posted:

I don't like that we are getting a lot of reports like this from across the world:
https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-700510 posted:
Four-year-old Israeli child tests positive for polio, first case since 1989
Antivax sentiment is so high after COVID started, that we are losing ground on polio and measles.

Pingui posted:

Just for the headline:
https://www.dw.com/en/in-good-shape-covid-19-the-neverending-pandemic/av-60915632 posted:
In Good Shape - COVID-19: The neverending pandemic
:rubby:

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The KGB operated a prison in the Lubayanka building in Moscow. It was across the street from a toy store called Childrens’ World so of course Russians called it Adults’ World.

quote:

Lubyanka prison was established in 1920 inside a two story structure adjacent to the main buildings. It had originally been a hotel built, again, by the All-Russia Insurance Company. It was soon expanded to six floors. Jokes referred to it as the “tallest building in Moscow,” as one could purportedly see Siberia (and the Gulag system) from its basement, as that was the fate that awaited most that saw the inside of the prison’s walls.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

Time to scramble over the bodies to brunch motha fuckaaaaaa

yep work is like back to professional conferences and cocktail hour sales bitches.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Zeriel posted:

Grandma's probably going to die with covid. I hope the healthcare worker that gave it to her is enjoying their freedom from masks and vaccines.
loving hell, sorry man

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yep work is like back to professional conferences and cocktail hour sales bitches.
yea i'm now planning my days off to coincide with all the indoor all-staff lunches and other hundred+ in-person events my work place ghouls want to hold lol

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
My work team is having a happy hour and I have to be the one who appears hosed up by not going.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

Four Loko got banned after no deaths were specifically assigned to it looking at the wiki page. Just like, general "kids in college getting alcohol poisoning is prolly because of this"
honestly for the best
anecdotal but my college experience with Four Loko was loving bad lmao

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Tzen posted:

honestly for the best
anecdotal but my college experience with Four Loko was loving bad lmao

LOL probably. Alcohol in general is terrible. Smoke weed and take psilocybin.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Redditor discovers that the virus is impolite.

quote:

I was trying to slow down my mask usage. On Friday, I tried not wearing a mask at work as I'm fairly isolated throughout the day. Of course, now the ONE PERSON I spent time with has Covid. I'm pissed at myself. Here goes another nervous week of isolating, testing, yada yada

It's clearly still all over the drat place, even though my county's positivity rate is like 2%.

So...back to the N95s, eating in my car, etc...

Hang in there fellow makers! Don't let your guards down if you don't want to!

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Had a patient the other day ask me to take my mask off so she could see my face. lol, gently caress no

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
And god drat, 6 more weeks in the COVID mines until I go on parental leave. Can't loving wait!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Glumwheels posted:

My work team is having a happy hour and I have to be the one who appears hosed up by not going.

I'm glad I established I was this person before COVID (in my job interview no less!).

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
My dads friend might be nearing the end of the road. Been in the hospital for over 2 months now. He developed a sore in his back, had surgery, and it’s not healing. He’s also not gaining any strength between rounds of pneumonia.

This is crazy poo poo, all because he refused to get the vaccine. The last place you ever want to be stuck in is the hospital, it will kill you before whatever you came in there for.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Very cool that we’re rolling back and century and a half of developments in hospitals.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The ways in which so many things are breaking or moving backwards would be fascinating if it wasn't real life. How do you gently caress up so badly that it destroys existing systems and knowledge?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
if you test positive on a home test is there somewhere to report yourself for national statistics

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shiroc posted:

The ways in which so many things are breaking or moving backwards would be fascinating if it wasn't real life. How do you gently caress up so badly that it destroys existing systems and knowledge?

destruction of existing systems and knowledge is a constant, ongoing problem. it’s the natural trend towards entropy of any complex system

when renewal and maintenance keep up with the destruction, business as usual continues. when circumstances (invasion, pestilence, famine, etc.) disrupt that repair cycle, even the ‘normal’ rate of decay suddenly becomes visible and horrifying

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Steve Yun posted:

if you test positive on a home test is there somewhere to report yourself for national statistics

I recall someone mentioning it says how to report the results on the packaging of at least some brands. Whether that actually goes to national statistics though :shrug:

Pingui fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 7, 2022

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tl;dr shits been breaking harder and harder for decades, covid just poured gasoline on it all

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
/r/HermanCainAward discusses masking

quote:

I tried going to the store without one a couple days ago. I felt so paranoid about being mistaken for a Republican the whole time. I got in the checkout line, trying to convince myself I was being dramatic, and then when I walked up to the cashier, she started telling me apropos of nothing about her exciting weekend plans—going with a friend to a “friends of the NRA” banquet and then to (her friend’s specifically Messianic) church in the morning.

I… think I’m gonna go back to masking.

Dang it’s almost as though you shouldn’t do everything a senile war criminal asks you to do.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This was the last daily COVID bulletin issued by the Department of Health:

from here, you can derive:

* total confirmed cases
* new cases reported today
* seven-day average of new cases/day
* total tests administered (RT-PCR, through DOH-accredited labs)
* positivity rate
* ICU utilization rate
* total recovered cases
* total deaths
* active cases (as the difference of total confimed cases minus [recoveries + deaths])

This is the new weekly COVID bulletin:

* no total confirmed cases

* there is a "New Cases Reported For the Weekly Reporting Period" metric - because we still have yesterday's daily bulletin, we can subtract all of the figures from March 1 to March 6 and figure out that there were 711 new cases JUST for March 7, but since we're probably not going to get another report until March 14, that kind of derivation is going to be impossible very quickly

* same applies to the death metrics

* no testing metrics, no positivity rate

* no active cases

* there's an ICU utilization rate, and ironically it's even more accurate than in the daily bulletins, but now it's the headliner

* and then a new section is vaccination metrics, which were never in the daily bulletins before

* also, note the metrics for vaccines:

- it's 70.76% of TARGET population who have had two shots (or one shot of J&J), but the "target" population itself is only 80% of the total population. The full Philippine population is actually about 112.506 million, which means instead of 70.76%, our actual percentage of "fully-vaccinated" persons, across the entire population, is about 56.61%

- the boosters shuffled off to the side: if we have 10.554 million people who have already gotten their booster, and there are an estimated 112.506 million Filipinos, then our booster percentage is 9.38%

Besides the changes in what they report, the fact that they're putting "Healthcare Utilization" first, and then "Vaccination Accomplishment" second, is almost certainly driven by trying to shift away from case numbers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gradenko_2000 posted:

- it's 70.76% of TARGET population who have had two shots (or one shot of J&J), but the "target" population itself is only 80% of the total population. The full Philippine population is actually about 112.506 million, which means instead of 70.76%, our actual percentage of "fully-vaccinated" persons, across the entire population, is about 56.61%

That’s brazen.

The U.S. played games with “eligible population”, but I don’t recall a made‐up “target population” to cook the books like that.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

That’s brazen.

The U.S. played games with “eligible population”, but I don’t recall a made‐up “target population” to cook the books like that.

In a roundabout sort of way, that is actually good news*. If the case numbers aren't insanely out of wack, it seems the level of masking in the Philippines is enough - almost on its own - to curb the spread.

*for countries like China, not so much for the "horny for Asian deaths" segment

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Pillowpants posted:

Caveat for Bad weekend reporting - but..

Last week - I pointed out Georgia had spiked from ~300 a day to 600 a day. It has settled to around 500 a day. New York has seen 4000 Covid Admissions in the past 5 days, compared to 2000 in the five before that
March: In like a lion and out like a lamb?

Or will this be in like a lamb, out like a lion?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Unsurprising, but here is an illustration:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/03/06/how-much-covid-death-toll-is-function-peer-pressure/ posted:

How much of the covid death toll is a function of peer pressure?
(..)
On Aug. 3, the most-red and most-blue states had the same rate of per-population deaths. Since then, the number of population-adjusted deaths in heavily blue states has increased by 69 deaths per 100,000. The number in heavily red states has increased by 137 deaths per 100,000, almost exactly twice as much.

Or look at it another way: It was blue states in the Northeast that were hardest hit at the outset. But, over time, states sorted politically. By March 1, eight of the 10 states with the highest per capita death tolls voted for Trump in 2020. Seven of the 10 with the lowest death tolls voted for President Biden. Florida sits at 18th.

It’s hard to extricate this from what we have seen in both our experience and in polling. Unvaccinated Americans are at much more risk of dying and Republicans are less likely to be vaccinated. They’re also more likely to avoid measures that would limit their exposure to the virus in the first place. There’s no question that this is driven by community and personal relationships: a lot of people who would be safer if they wore high-quality masks have instead leaned into the idea that wearing a mask is somehow an indicator of weakness.

We are at a new place in the pandemic, one much like the last two springs when it seemed like the virus might be in permanent decline. Keeping it there means tracking increases in cases and, if necessary, informing people about when and how they might be at risk. It means supporting those at higher risk and understanding that many Americans are at higher risk.

If we’re going to increasingly shift responses to the individual level, it means respecting individual choices. It means freedom for people to choose to wear masks if they want to and political leadership that’s fine with those choices.

You would be justified in feeling skeptical about the prospects of this happening.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Pingui posted:

On Aug. 3, the most-red and most-blue states had the same rate of per-population deaths. Since then, the number of population-adjusted deaths in heavily blue states has increased by 69 deaths per 100,000. The number in heavily red states has increased by 137 deaths per 100,000, almost exactly twice as much.
Nice!

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!

Platystemon posted:

/r/HermanCainAward discusses masking

Dang it’s almost as though you shouldn’t do everything a senile war criminal asks you to do.

I noticed that for as proud as biden seems to be about everyone being done WFH (the SOTU, reiterated in remarks by him again on friday), none of his social media mentions this at all

I wonder why

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/josh_hammer/status/1500649638226968581

lol that's some take. Masks are gonna be political shorthand for cults/sheeple for the rest of our lives.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/StuartDNeilson/status/1500784328514715648

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

McCracAttack posted:

(..)
lol that's some take. Masks are gonna be political shorthand for cults/sheeple for the rest of our lives.
That tweet was very confusing, as my screen colors make the white invisible

Just a weird yellow thing and a black round dot.

Edit: Thought everyone would be interested to know. You are very welcome.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Anyone else finding themselves in a situation where their spouse is buying into the Biden propaganda and those irritating and increasingly uncomfortable facts are becoming more meaningless? If so, how are you handling it?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

McCracAttack posted:

https://twitter.com/josh_hammer/status/1500649638226968581

sir, if I want to be the goat then I will be the goat

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pingui posted:

That tweet was very confusing, as my screen colors make the white invisible

Just a weird yellow thing and a black round dot.

Edit: Thought everyone would be interested to know. You are very welcome.

dont be a ram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Cheesus posted:

Anyone else finding themselves in a situation where their spouse is buying into the Biden propaganda and those irritating and increasingly uncomfortable facts are becoming more meaningless? If so, how are you handling it?

loving sever. Right the gently caress now. Just point to the door sir.