Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I've gotten several of these. I'm a biostatistician lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Nocturtle posted:

Interesting post from Carl Bergstrom about the Israeli observations of decreased efficacy:
https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1427767357808603139?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Each age group considered separately has high effectiveness (>85%), but it declines to 67.% when they're combined. Basically there's a lot of unvaccinated young people that don't get that sick while there's a lot of vaccinated old people that do get sick. Combining the two age groups obscures the fact that the vaccinated do significantly better than the unvaccinated within the corresponding age group. Feels a bit like P-hacking, except there's a robust physical explanation to justify "binning" the data by age.

it's simpsons paradox

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bunch of people in this thread going to take ED jobs, it will be like that third rock from the sun where they all pretend to be doctors

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Shifty Nipples posted:

does that mean you count microbes?

wut

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wrong.

They don't even look at the slides. They just put estimates into SPSS and then fax the printout to someone.

SPSS lmfao

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Shifty Nipples posted:

biostatistician - statistics about biological organisms - counting microbes
it was a joke.

lol, you never know, most people can't even pronounced my job title correctly

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is this supposed to be good or bad, i think it's great

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

if someone needs medical treatment for covid, and they legit said they could get vaccinated but they refused, I think not treating them should be an option. Generally I would not feel this way, but it's causing all sorts of issues for vaccinated people who need treatments for things other than covid.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

I don't understand the difference between a locust and a grasshopper

locusts are more badass, there was a locust plaque in a little book you may have heard of... THE BIBLE

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what am I even looking at here

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I've had really good experiences with therapy via videoconference but you definitely have to be willing to say this isn't a good fit and leave.

my current therapist is pretty good, when I said that I hope Abbott gets wrecked by his Covid infection her response was "2021 owes us."

that's pretty unprofessional for her to say but still, lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I work with transplant data and physicians/surgeons, there's all sorts of behavioral related factors centers will take into account, especially because there are shortages of every organ. The way I think about it is what is the expected survival of the liver in this person? Probably not very long, just like it would not be very long in a person needing a transplant for alcoholic cirrhosis who refused to stop drinking, or someone who they did not believe would stick to their immunosuppression regimen after transplant for the rest of their life.

and yeah, even if this guy stuck to his immuno regimen, obviously that + unvaccinated is pretty much a death sentence when he gets covid

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

i thought there were just, like poo poo loads of kidneys

lol what?

there are tons of people on the kidney wait list that are on dialysis, hoping they can get a kidney before they die (I think average survival time on dialysis is five years or so)

https://www.organdonor.gov/learn/organ-donation-statistics

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Pardot posted:

Look i'm cool with getting extra vaxes, but who the hell is getting extra hearts

you can get more than one heart transplant, but it might be people that at one point where not planned to get a heart, but things changed later (perhaps LVAD issues, or something)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

It's actually dogs, hth

shut the gently caress up bitch

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

you know you can just use the print screen button right

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my coworker is fully vaccinated, totally onboard with not having kids back in schools yet, etc. but she's going to the state fair, which she even described as a superspreader event

oh, and she has a phd in epidemiology lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Oh, it was just a talking point? They don't actually care? No loving kidding!

Why anyone thought FDA approval would change anything is beyond me.

I think it will help somewhat indirectly, because now some employers will require vaccination, and well, the military

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The majority of Americans are wary of covid-19, think mitigation efforts are a good idea, and are taking steps to protect themselves.

Turns out that our media serve as a mouthpiece for capital and are misrepresenting public opinion in service of capital, who'd have thunk it

unfortunately you need way more than just a simple majority to control things like this

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Tzen posted:

those 2 green counties on the west coast :argh: does no one live there or what

looks like the one in Oregon is Wheeler, which only has 1441 people, and the one in California is Alpine which has 1229 people, so yes

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is he still unvaccinated

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there are no available ICU beds in the entire west? I know it's bad but that can't be right

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Cam Newton just went from starter to cut because he won’t get vaccinated.

Lol

Lmao

where does it say it was because he wouldn't get vaccinated?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

one of my favorite ambient tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU6TcFcmonE

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i thought the squad was bad now tho

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Casey Finnigan posted:

Is there an essential job that actually gets respect in America? People hate and disdain teachers, nurses, bus drivers, janitors, line cooks, fast food workers, mailpeople, basically everyone that isn't a manager.

physicans/surgeons, prob firefighters

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

McNugget Buddy posted:

His social commentary is still 90% on-point, but living in rural Ohio for 20 years and befriending the locals has rotted his brain a bit

why the hell is he living in rural Ohio

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lovelyn posted:

My patient was dying and I had to hit the Big Blue Button, which means 2 MDs, a respiratory therapist, and a gaggle of other nurses rushed into the room. I jumped on the bed to start chest compressions (I'm small and the bed didn't have a CPR lever so it was a bit too high for me) and the RT takes their position at head of the bed. He suctions the patient and we get a MASSIVE flash, about 0.5 liters, of BLOOD. It's in the suction canister and now pooling in the tubing of the ventilator itself.

Our protocol is: if a patient is covid+ and on a ventilator, DO NOT BREAK THE CIRCUIT TO ADMINISTER RESUSCITATION BREATHS! Only do drugs/chest compressions/shocks. Well, we're supremely short staffed which means we have traveler RTs who don't know our protocols, and this motherfucker not only breaks the circuit, but does so BEFORE TURNING OFF THE VENTILATOR!!!! He unhooks the patient and then says "how do I turn this thing off?" meanwhile aerosolizing all that blood. Everyone and everything in that room got sprayed.

By the end of the code there was a liter of blood in the canister and the patient did not make it.

being a computer toucher also has its job challenges in all fairness

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

T-Paine posted:

https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1433511883424796677

we just aren't being nice enough to the paste chompin' fuckwits

I always appreciate a chance to say "stfu bitch" in my twitter reply

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

can any medical people tell me what you are looking at here, obviously you're not supposed to see any "white" in the lung, but is there anything else you can notice besides that

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Yeah turns out the college thing is just everywhere, lol.

My social media feed is filled with friends who are at packed indoor concerts. Open Biden I guess.

this is less than a mile from where I live lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

87 upvotes on the idea of pulling unvaccinated people out of hospitals. there's going to be a major incident where it happens as triage gets worse and more common

yeah I mean... what else do you want them to do

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SchrodingersCat posted:

American life is so miserable we try to bury the meaninglessness of our existence with food and violence. The life of the average American citizen is devoid of value and meaning. America is devoid of truly fulfilling original art and culture. We take in from the outside world, remake art and culture in our own demonic self-hating image, and then regurgitate it out onto a plate to be lapped up and regurgitated over and over again. No one in this nation has a reason to live.

We just fill the pointless days of waiting for oblivion with empty physical pleasures. Empty husks of flesh waiting for a fulfillment only death can grant. Ants swarming over the rotten husk of Capitalism, their queen.

you must be fun at parties

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

skewetoo posted:

What parties lol

superspreader football party

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

they wanted to pick 9/11 but that would upset people too much

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anyone remember from I think early last year, the clip of some Arizona chud at maybe a city council meeting going on some bizarre rant, and then it pans to the guy in the green polo who is just laughing hysterically?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

interested in what some prominent bioethicists (well not peter singer) think about following the hippocratic oath to take care of unvaccinated chuds, when it means people who have been vaccinated will sometimes be denied care for non-covid related medical care, some of it urgent

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

I change the channel if they start talking about covid. Not only is the media confusingly schizophrenic about it they're constantly wrong and using inaccurate information

lol @ owning a television

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

isn't the SC going to overrule this immediately in the name of states' rights

or is he trying to do some emergency powers thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

too bad all her other songs suck, no cool synths like this one