Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
The old thread gave me anxiety.

The new thread will bring me peace and prosperity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Real Mean Queen posted:

You're completely right. Portland has a decent food scene, and it's set up in a way that's been very interesting to watch during the last year and change. Our restaurants took a hit while they were closed for indoor dining, but most of them switched over to doing to-go food pretty fast and many of them survived. At the same time, though, we've got shitloads of food carts that never had to miss a step due to dining room closures because they don't have those anyway. Nobody in this city went a single day without the ability to buy a hot meal, you can even get some guy to drive it to you for an extra fifteen bucks or so.

Despite the widespread availability of prepared foods for sale, the types of people that have never worked in a restaurant were all weeping into their phones about how much they missed eating out. If I work at a place that sells you a shot and a beer and a burrito that are brought to you by somebody you can boss around a little, and then the next day you can still buy a bottle of liquor and a box of beer down the street and you can still buy the same burrito from me but you have to just get it in a bag and go on your way, and that upsets you, what aspect of the old arrangement is it that you're actually missing? It's the part where you get poo poo on a rented underling and then decide to pay them a little bit less than you claim you normally would if they had done a better job at serving you.

I can see this argument about restaurant tyrants. But I have to imagine continuing to prepare meals on a faceless assembly line for delivery is also sort of dehumanizing in its way? Maybe moreso for owners or front of house, obviously, but those businesses are built on relationships and community involvement. (And exploitation, yes.)

IDK, I haven't done food service in like 20 years and I was loving terrible at it and was banished to wash dishes, so I am no authority.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

D.C. school protocols are out today and they're doing the whole "vaccinated kids who were in close contact with infected kids don't need to quarantine if they aren't showing symptoms!" thing.

Grateful that we only have a cat and she is not of school age.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

"Trust Science" is a made up liberal truism with one goal: Conflate policymaking with research. The Science says we should lock down; The Science says we should open up. No, science doesn't say poo poo about this.

Science says if you lock down or open up that certain consequences are likely to happen. It's up to the policymakers to run the risk analysis and determine what outcome is most desirable. The policymakers have absolved themselves from any responsibility by saying that science simply told them what to do. Any policy failures must be the fault of science and scientists, not policymakers.

"Science" is also kind of an aesthetic thing vaguely having to do with technology and generally opposed to Republicans/Trump.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

DeSantis is rich because he scammed Medicare, so I assume he's gonna make money off this somehow

You're thinking of the last Florida governor, Rick Scott.

Desantis trying to get his bag now.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I've made no progress on the "disability accommodation" I need to not go back to the office. The form is plainly for people with physical disabilities and my cardiologist keeps putting off looking at it. And I know once he does he's just going to say that I don't have a physical disability and/or that the vax is enough.

All a bunch of performative bullshit so they can say "But we have a process for those who have medical conditions!" when the process is doomed to fail or, if one were particularly charitable, pulled together from scrap and tissue paper.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Had diarrhea, body aches, shaking chills and a 100+ fever yesterday. Strangely, this morning I feel fine.

Are those at-home tests worth a poo poo or do I have to get somebody to scrape my brain with a giant q-tip?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Pardot posted:

Look i'm cool with getting extra vaxes, but who the hell is getting extra hearts

They were just dumping them so I figured why not?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Home COVID test came back negative. Pleased to just have whatever stupid nonsense gives you fever and chills for only like 12 hours.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Koirhor posted:

well pediatrician doing cya is why I contacted our son’s cardiologist affiliated with the childrens hospital he’s had to stay in a couple times they have the info and medical history to hopefully make the right call here

I can't even get my cardiologist to write me a note saying "he should WFH for now," but pediatric cardiologists tend to be more attached so I suspect you might have more luck.

Hmm, I wonder if I can get my pediatric cardiologist to write my note... it's only been 17 years!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Just had a webinar with my employer (they disabled any ability for employees to see or chat with each other, natch) about the return to office. They think they're going to be able to test and contact trace their way round delta.

the person in charge of the covid response literally said "the D.C. area isn't the rest of the country" as though living at the center of this stupid empire makes people here any smarter or more immune to disease

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Hope someone enjoys that half an ICU bed.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I can't believe this is not satire. All the way down to the fish in the thumbnail, which one has to conclude is what is inserted in the rear end of the patient.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Schnorkles posted:

They pushed approval out the door to be able to do this:

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1430269820986028035

It's all about mandating the vaccine in as many places as possible

(this will not save us)

It's better than literally nothing... Which was the plan before, so

My university employer is doing vaccine mandate (before it was cool), mandatory indoor masks, on-campus PCR testing and contact tracing and I still don't think it will be enough.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Zurtilik posted:

Genuinely surprised Florida hasn't banned testing or some wacky workaround to that effect.

Why ban testing when you can just fail to report the numbers anywhere?

Not just the state, but the schools too.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

just shot an email off to the head of my program to say 'hey, less than 1/3rd of the undergrad students are following the masking 'expectation' and multiple phd students are doing the same. likewise vaccination rates for the student population are as low as 11%. are we going to have a virtual option anytime soon or are we just hoping that we only have a handful of students die?'

The last few months have definitely taught me a lot about human behavior. Trying to deal with managers who are themselves trying to implement unsafe edicts from their bosses gives insight into how a lot of human atrocities must happen. The way denial manifests is strong. They lash out at complaining underlings instead of the people creating the impossible scenarios. They minimize the opportunities for collective expressions of anger as a cynical containment strategy. And of course at the end of the day, they are just following orders.

Vishass posted:

CT scan of normal lungs vs a guy with covid from an article in the AJC following a 24 year old's treatment

https://www.ajc.com/blake/#part1

Very cool, very normal stuff.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Shiroc posted:

'My brain doesn't work very well post infection but I didn't need a hospital'
MINOR CASE
'I developed diabetes post infection but I didn't need a hospital'
MINOR CASE
'My lungs and heart are really hosed up but I didn't need a hospital'
MINOR CASE
'I haven't been able to smell in months and I don't know if it'll come back but I didn't need a hospital'
MINOR CASE

Show up at the hospital but got turned away because your blood oxygen is still 80%?
MINOR CASE

Rubby posted:

https://twitter.com/FalconryFinance/status/1430044170966601729?s=20

Dude. Bro. Seriously. I know you're reading this. Move on with your life. This is just kinda sad rn

I got mine and it's good quality. Thanks Rubby! (Also Threadless lets you pick the kind of shirt you want anyway...)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

My sister is a NICU nurse in South Florida. She's described similar, tons of unvaccinated mothers getting really sick, normal ICUs full with more and more school-aged kids in there. The other day she was in the NICU Covid unit taking care of two preemie kids and they were on a backup generator, which meant no A/C and their water/ice machine wasn't working. I don't know what else to call it other than a failed state.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Lacrosse posted:

PAX is in a few days and so is the Washington State Fair and the epidemiologists are losing their minds.

https://www.q13fox.com/news/we-think-its-a-bad-idea-wa-state-hospital-association-says-to-avoid-mass-events-state-fair

PAX of course is famous for the "pax pox," which refers not just to the communicable diseases that are ALWAYS spread at conventions like these (especially among unwashed nerds) but also for the swine flu outbreak they caused a decade ago.

But sure, having masks and a negative covid test I'm sure will make it fine.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I am on warfarin for a mechanical valve. COVID itself can cause a silent liver stunning or failure which can lead to an overdose of blood thinner. It's no joke.

(Of course, still navigating the "disability accommodation" myself to avoid going back to the office deathtrap.)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Caseman posted:

This has been posted before but this feels like the opposite of a crack ping, I kinda feel like my entire brain structure has collapsed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhRb5hnTseU
Dr. John has been a primary source for me this entire pandemic. I believe I found him from CSPAM COVID thread one. I tend to believe he has a good idea what the medical consensus is and a pretty good idea of where we're heading.

So we've just given up? If the current situation in hospitals and schools is us giving a poo poo about this virus, what the gently caress is giving up going to do?
They're going to stop doing free public testing. The number doesn't matter anymore because everyone is going to get it. Everyone. The number of cases will eventually just be the number of people. This is the bleakest this has seemed to me since it began.
Herd Immunity is impossible, it is never coming. This virus is just going to mutate and re-spread through the entire population over and over again until what?

Is public health really completely incompatible with our culture, economy, and government? COVID just wins because we're all so loving stupid? After all the goddamn insane poo poo humanity has managed to survive, this is the thing that's going to actually turn us into a scene from Children of Men.

This was definitely a crack but not a ping. I don't understand how you surrender to the virus. It's just baked in that 2% of people are going to die? Old people, the immunocompromised, the unvaccinated chuds... sorry you're going to get it no matter what gently caress you.

Hospital ICUs are collapsing under the strain and it's still summer... Come on ping, where are you?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Saw my cardiologist today for a routine check-up and asked if he had COVID advice.

"Don't get COVID. Oh, and get a booster."

Given the administration still seems stuck on their 8 months timeline, I guess I'll be max titersing when my 6 months is up in October.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Chamale posted:

Lmao do those do bad things together? Warfarin is hosed, you can't have any grapefruit, garlic, ginger, or mango, and can't eat too much raw vegetables and whole grains

It was a woman so she also had other imminent... bleeding issues besides from her rear end.

You're exaggerating how bad warfarin is though. For non-chuds it's mostly leafy greens with heavy vitamin K that are the problem. And even then, you can have most things as long as your diet stays consistent.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Chamale posted:

I was on warfarin. As long as I ate a steady amount of vitamin K that wasn't a problem, but eating too much fibre while on it can cause horrible nausea. And it interacts with a bunch of chemicals, hence the long list of plants I was told to avoid entirely.

I've been on it for 16 years. Still cook with plenty of ginger and garlic and dried mango is an awesome snack. Never had fiber-pains, but you don't have to tell me twice not to eat grapefruit, that poo poo is cursed.

It's still rat poison and awful and I wish I didn't have to take it. And not just because it's contraindicated with BOTH butt-chugging ivermectin AND purposefully Open Bidening, since even "mild" COVID can quietly sucker punch your liver and make you overdose.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

A co-worker just shared that he's leaving for a new job that lets him do full remote. He's been my COVID doom buddy because I have a heart condition that puts me at risk and he has an asthmatic kid who he doesn't want to infect, so we were pretty loudly in the "gently caress this" section during return to the office discussions.

Obviously thrilled for him that he got remote work right on the cusp of the return date. But in talking to him about it, he's still holding out hope for a vaccine for kids and it's like... I don't know, I doom scroll this thread a lot and internalize the cruelty of this country's response but I just don't have the heart to tell a parent I don't think help for his kid is coming. Not like it makes a difference what I say anyway I suppose.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Zurtilik posted:

--------
I imagine it's partially because the nature of COVID makes it almost impossible for an individual to have a lower risk threshold than society in general but still interact with a society that has surrendered. For most things you can adjust your own risk exposure pretty simply - you can drive slower, you can wear sunscreen, you can not participate in high risk athletic activities, etc. That doesn't work with COVID. Your risk is determined by the community much more than your own actions.
-------

This is the real problem I'm running into with family. If I want to see them I'm essentially accepting every risk they've taken even if I am otherwise playing it fairly safe.

poo poo sucks!

OTOH COVID has been useful fodder for keeping my lied-about-getting-vaxxed MIL from visiting.

Gonna be a throw-down over the holidays I'm sure, but it's worked for the summer.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I mean, he's probably right about the Hollywood pedophiles and Epstein though.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Strep Vote posted:

I love when people say, "I don't think I can do this for the next x years"

Well, you don't have to, buddy. Stop swimming and drown if you want no one will stop you.

Also lol at the idea it's downhill from thirty, no wonder everyone is so frantic to die early.

What's the Voltaire quote? History is filled with the sound of silken slippers going downstairs and wooden shoes coming up? I know that idea has been co-opted by Boomers complaining about participation trophies or whatever, but our society is full of coddled croc-wearing adult children who can't make moderate sacrifices even to save their own lives, let alone the lives of actual children.

Do they have wooden shoes in China?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

My return to office is scheduled for this Friday. My cardiologist's advice was "don't get COVID" and his official recommendation on their dumb form was that I continue to WFH for six months. Submitted that poo poo weeks ago and it's been total radio silence from employee relations. Who would have thought pawning off this "accommodation" process on an outside vendor would end up with this result?

I've worked at this place for 10 years so I have like 17 weeks of sick time saved up I guess I can use for my in-office days. This poo poo is whack though.

genericnick posted:

You mean two tests and not packs of tests, right? That's an absurd rip-off. As far as I can see the most expensive pack of five here in Euroland is 50€ with a few going as low as 8€.

Yeah that's just for the pair. And it's the test which has a pretty crap rate of false negatives.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I mean, I'll watch Half Baked if its on.

Not sure if this is true for everybody, but part of adulthood seems to be gradually learning not to get invested in any celebrity because they will always find a way to disappoint you, sometimes to the extent of ruining the work you enjoy or causes they were a part of after the fact.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A guy shot up a newspaper in Maryland immediately after Trump went on a rant about how the media were the 'enemy of the people,' everyone shrugged their shoulders about what might have possibly caused it and forgot in a week. lol

A hospital getting shot up by chuds would get memory-holed faster than you can blink.

That guy was mentally ill and had a personal vendetta against the paper after they covered his conviction for harassment. He was triggered by losing his last appeal, not specifically by Trump.

I do agree with you though that people would forget immediately. Nurses wouldn't, of course, and it would be another tick in the column of "nursing is a hopelessly stressful job" and lead to more people leaving the field.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

Yesterday

oof.

covidactnow.org

Continue to be impressed by the 95 corridor from D.C. to Boston holding onto orange. My theory is car pollution lines the nostrils of those in the mid-Atlantic, preventing COVID from entering the bloodstream.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I actually got approved for a medical accommodation to continue telework, color me surprised.

Of course, my doctor's note specifically said for at least six months and they bargained it back to "the end of the year then we can reevaluate," but one can imagine how fun things will look in December.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

So I successfully got medical accommodation to continue telework because of a condition I have that would be bad news mixed with covid. The rest of the teams that I work with are all going back to the office on a hybrid schedule this week. I mentioned it in a biweekly email report I send to a bunch of teams by way of explaining why they wouldn't be seeing me at my desk. I was since told I shouldn't have shared my accommodation status publicly... as though people wouldn't find out? Or that I could commit a HIPAA violation against myself?

I'm guessing management doesn't want to let on to the proles that prioritizing safety is actually an option if they wanted it to be and they wanted to remind me that my telework only exists at the grace of my betters. I was telling everyone at our union meeting to apply to the process, but I guess they don't know that.

This is at a university-affiliated organization in lib-world, if that wasn't obvious.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

My sister finally converted and got vaxxed, she's trying to convince her church friends to get it and it's going about as well as you'd expect

ok

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Petey posted:

this is what has me brainfucked about some of the university numbers around here. we're a few weeks into classes with a vaccine mandate + indoor masking mandate (but i'm sure the latter is not fully observed in the dorms) and have been at <.09% test positivity the entire time in a relatively low-transmission and high-vaccination local area (boston).

the indoor masking was originally going to expire in late july, but then delta extended it through at least september, in part to make sure all the new intl students were vaxxed once arriving. but it makes me wonder — under what conditions would we ever eliminate the indoor masking component? when/will that feel right?

the good news is that with universal surveillance testing and sequencing and contact tracing we should be able to get robust evidence on vaccinated-to-vaccinated transmission and severity and pasc and any new variants. the team running our covid response seems to be doing a really good job, and we're throwing just a ton of resources at trying to run the university "fully" during covid (e.g. running all classrooms, as i understand it, at 24/7 high-occupancy outdoor-air sourced circulation with upgraded merv-13 filtration). plus having people (as i've been posting about) test masks for counterfeits and run all these models on transmission.

so i do feel somewhat confident that we're going to figure out the answer to "if you have ~infinite resources in terms of both money and single-focus technocracy, how can you run a university during a pandemic?" i just don't know what that answer is going to be

My university employer is similarly focused on just spending their way out of COVID. Considering how anemic the government response is, having on-demand saliva PCR tests available at all times and contact tracing seems actually kind of impressive.

But I think whether it is ultimately a success or failure comes down completely to what the background community spread looks like. If the 95 corridor from D.C. to Boston finally starts succumbing like the rest of the country once the weather turns miserable in late fall, my guess is the campuses aren't going to fair better than the communities they're in just because undergrads are loving stupid as a general rule.

The person in charge of our campus COVID response straight up said "D.C. isn't the rest of the country" as though Master's degrees offer immunity from disease. I don't believe in much, but I do believe in the universe punishing PMC hubris like that.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I missed this happening a couple days ago. You doing OK, Oz?

https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1439101005476646912

Doesn't seem like they subdued much of anything.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Real Mean Queen posted:

I’m so goddamn tired of people defending their indefensible actions. Either say “gently caress you, I did that” or don’t do it in the first place. We don’t need this weird show where you recite what should have been doing and calling it ridiculous, we don’t need you reminding everyone that getting drunk makes you stupid, we don’t need you being drunk characterized as some kind of religious or cultural thing, all of it adds up to nothing. Own your actions or don’t do them, nobody made you gently caress up in public.

she was just feeling the music man take a chill pill

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Glumwheels posted:

See the media endlessly crying over one missing white girl. There’s a reason why I don’t read or watch the news anymore.

Blame Tiktok and Reddit for that one. Not that the media isn't predisposed to cry for white girls, but that was Zoomer social media poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Elea posted:

HermanCainAwards has been an interesting window on the world of antivax/antimask memes as well as just the horrible medical consequences of Covid. There is a bloodlust in a good portion of the comments that can get disturbing. Like they'll get very morally superior about pregnant women getting Covid even though I think a lot of trusted medical sources recommended against vaccination early on. I don't think they really grasp that the vaccinated are at a real risk too, because of all those awful statistics hyping up how effective they are. Overall though, mockery of the right wing is the only winning strategy compared to being asked to emphasize and explore their opinions for the 1000th time.

Mockery is probably more effective and useful, but it's still fundamentally ghoulish. And simultaneously totally OK? It's a strange time.