Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I enjoy how every guide i've goolged about fighting Escue says "it's pretty easy really" and i've been stuck on it for like 2 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That one has a flash you can counter it iirc.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There was once or twice I had to just go around shooting every single wall. But it wasn't that often and there was usually a hint that something was beyond the wall.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

mastajake posted:

When it is walking towards you back up to the wall, then shoot a missle and slide under it when it raises up. When it has the target following you, shoot missiles at its tail until you have to move, then space jump somewhere safe. When it does the multiple targets, space jump over it and shoot missiles at its tail.

I think you are thinking of a different boss. The one i'm talking about flied around.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Clarste posted:

1 is especially disappointing since you only use the actual freezing part of the ice missiles exactly once. Every other time they're just to break arbitrary ice missile barriers. The fact that they're ice basically never matters.

I was also hoping for like a fire upgrade that would melt ice, but instead they just removed all ice from the game after you kill a boss.

The ice missiles also freeze the plant platforms which comes in real handy sometimes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arzaac posted:

Wait a minute, is that the way you're supposed to pull that grapple block? I legitimately did it by just landing on the plant and grappling really quickly.

I tried to do it your way about 20 times, gave up, and went back when I got the ice missiles. Way easier.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So how do you reliably double jump? I'll hold the stick in the same direction and hit the button twice sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Your Computer posted:

are you playing on a TV without game mode on or something because if there's one thing that can be said for Dread's controls it's that they are responsive

it's the snappiest Samus has ever been

Eh. Ever since I got the multiple double jump thingy I can't jump off walls anymore. Even hitting the button while still going up.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

Why would you want to wall jump if you can space jump? :v:

Wall jumping gives you more height and changes direction much faster. And a lot of those speedboost puzzles need walljumping to work.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Incredible Doomguy energy from Samus in this game.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A Bag of Milk posted:

I suppose it'll feel good when I finally nail it

Yes, it did. For me the hardest part was getting the boost going. I had very regular progression on getting the timing down each attempt I made when I got the boost to start at the begining. But I had like 5 false starts each time.

Also you apparently can skip the 2nd ramp spark. You can just land and space jump over it, but that makes the timing very tight.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

looking forward to every 2d metroid game getting remade in this engine. i'll gladly cough up my 80 CAD for each and every one.

God yes do this please. Just start at the beginning and work your way up.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Game starts with you fighting a basic suit no ability Samus. When you win, all your abilities are gone, and you now control basic Samus. You fight the normal bosses, but not for upgrades but so you can wait for Other Samus to show up. When she finds the boss dead and you there, you have to fight the powered up Samus. Each victory gives you a suit upgrade and the other one loses one.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A weird thing I thought of playing this game. Some scenes we see the breakable blocks or the exploding alien organ thingies at an angle, and they look like they're 1 block tall, 1 block wide, but like 8 blocks long. Which makes me wonder if this time she doesn't turn into an actual ball, but is more like a big long cylinder.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kin posted:

So far it feels like a bit of a chore to fight. I thought I'd gotten through his first phase when he fired up the invulnerability but nope, that's still phase 1.

Took me ages to get by it and then the fucker starts flying about and bam, back to square 1.

Is there a way to make him trigger the counter move to get him out of his invulnerable state?

Take your time on phase one and use the big evil black ball as a filler to make sure you're topped up on missiles and energy. The attacks should be easy enough to dodge that this shouldn't be an issue, but Phase 2 has no refills and you have to wait for phase 3 to top back up if you need to.

You don't only have to wait for him to do the "Show me your moves" motion to counter, he does a forward rush attack that can also be countered.

Also when he does the hand motion, you have to run at him and do a running counter, you don't just stand there and counter. That tripped me up a while.

Edit: Also missile storm on the black ball is a trap don't do it.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 18, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

My read is The Thoha DNA = control over metroids, so that's why it made the metroid suit go away. From an survival perspective, maybe the X sees this as eliminating, or at least lessening the threat of a Metroid. Samus is probably still going to hunt any and all X, but at least she's not a super powerful rampaging Metroid creature? Hard to say if the X knew it was saving Samus or not. Otherwise, it had some of Quiet Robe's memories, and acted based on those, which feels maybe more what the emotional beat of that moment was going for. The game does mention the X can obtain the memories of those it infests, but I though the text crawl mentioned that happens to things infested alive, not after death?

The problem with this theory is that If it was the X in control and it wanted to stop samus, then they should have shut the hell up and let her drain all the ship power and trap her on an exploding planet

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Samus came first though. We should be comparing doom guy to her.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, but Doom came out in 1993 and Super Metroid wasn't until 1994.

Okay, but Metroid was in 1986.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A Bag of Milk posted:

Yes, I beat the game but didn't unlock linked teleporters until I interacted with them all.

I did not interact with them all yet I got them all unlocked after I faced the final boss and died.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

IMO all the bosses were good except for the chozo soldiers and robots being repeat minibosses

did those feel kinda like "poo poo, we ran out of dev time, add some padding for the clock" to anyone else?

Eh, each one was an escalation of the previous one that it didn't feel that bad to me.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Updog Scully posted:

Just finished the game. Fun time, and the ending was sick but why did the planet explode?

Samus was on it.

For real though

Somehow the X had hosed up the planetary core.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Martian Manfucker posted:

yo why is robot chorizo warrior so hard, why come it's making me fight TWO chorizo robot. i can't beat them, it's too hard.

One of them dies a lot easier and quicker than the other. Focus storm missiling on the darker one while focusing on not getting hit. Then when it dies, the other goes down like a chump.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Carmant posted:

Really good game so far. The one thing I don't like are the QTEs/counters specifically with some of the bosses (I'm looking at you Experiment No. Z-57). It just feels lovely to make it through all the actual mechanics and then lose the fight because you whiff the QTE.

The counters in the QTEs are the actual mechanics. Also none of them cause a death on failure.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Friend posted:

Same except I will never 100% because some of those shinespark challenges are ridiculous and not worth the frustration for me. I couldn't do those tricks when Fusion came out and I sure as poo poo can't now that I'm old and decrepit!
I'm old too and found the dread ones easier to hit. This is the only metroid game I ever 100% and i'm 42.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I didn't even know far cry 6 had launched.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Waffle! posted:

One minor annoyance I'm having is with items hidden inside of blocks so that you can't track them on the map. I'm at 85% in one zone and have no clue where to look.

You aren't seeing the slowly flashing grey areas?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Waffle! posted:

No. I'm not near my Switch so I can't double check right now. I thought the flashes were only for hidden rooms.

I think it's a bit fuzzy on what constitutes a room. All I know is I was able to hunt down all the hidden things using the grey on the map and the area scanner power.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Glitch speedruns use the same set of skills just applied in weird ways. My only thought on the subject is, if you're using a bug to do something that is a tacit understanding then it's a buck and may or may not be fixed at any time. Being mad when someone gets fixed is silly

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zore posted:

... how many people do you think watch glitchless speedruns?

I dunno, but the latest gdq dread video has 10k views after 2 days, so I don't think it's exactly outlandish to claim that out of the millions of copies sold, people watching speed runs is a small minority.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

If you want it, run it. Speedruns are not a spectator sport.

Laughs in GDQ

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Poor samus, so terrified. So weak. :(

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I had to watch it twice to catch it. Holy crap!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Specifically are you looking for the actual figures and you don't really care too much about the Amiibo effect on the game? Or do you mainly want the effect and don't really care about the toy part?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Search for Metroid dread amiibo cards. They recreate the effect of the chip but they don't have the toy attached. And I believe you can get a full set of eight for less than the cost of the double set of figures

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MJeff posted:

From a story perspective, I loved it but it did fall a little flat in gameplay terms that after that great boss fight, Raven Beak just decides to stop losing and then you actually beat him in a cutscene and a quicktime event.

You beat almost all the bosses with quick time events though.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MokBa posted:

My favorite April Fools jokes are ones that just sound like reasonable news that just happens to not be true. Oh, ha, you got me marginally excited about something, or maybe you didn’t. Who cares.

The only good april fools joke.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Remasters of 2 and 3 on the level of this one aren't something they can just toss together, so unless they've already done them or Nintendo just isn't making new hardware until 2026 or whatever, I don't think they're projects they can just throw out as filler.

Wasn't the rumour that some other studio was doing 2/3 and they were basically just upscales?

Just because they didn't hype this up previously doesn't mean they just tossed it together.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I never said they did - I'm saying that unless they also already remade 2 and/or 3 during the time they allegedly finished and shelved this one, it's going to be years before they could realistically put out even just one of them, let alone both.

You were certainly implying it. Also no, it's not an all or nothing thing. They could have started working on 2 not long after they started on 1. Also doing this work to remaster 1 would certainly make it easier to do the next ones as processes and tools are improved.

Basically since they didn't say anything about this release before it was done, anything anyone says about comparing this to any theoretical future games is meaningless.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I was not implying it, and the whole reason I made that post to begin with was as a response to someone who seemed sure they could just throw out remasters of 2 and 3 to fill gaps in the schedule or whatever.

Okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Asterite34 posted:

I am curious where you'd go with a Metroid 6. All the Metroids are dead, the guys who knew how to make Metroids are all dead, the X Parasite is dead as far as we know (unless there's ANOTHER goddamn Chozo colony studying the loving things), Ridley's dead, the Space Pirates haven't been a going concern since Super Metroid, we're kinda running out of established things to deal with. Unless it's just Samus fighting the Federation as they try and basically do a worse rehash of Raven Beak's plan to nab her Metroid DNA, I'm not sure where we go.

There's only so many Alien movies we can borrow material from. I guess we haven't done Alien 3 with Samus stuck on a prison planet, but it would be weird to do that AFTER we already did the Alien: Resurrection plot back in Fusion.

Since when has been dead stop someone from showing up in a Metroid game?