Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
:siren: FDA approved boosters for anyone 6 months out (2 months out from J&J) and over 16 years old. Go get your dang boosters goons, MAX TITERS. :siren:

mod edit: professor beetus is the IK of the coronavirus thread

So, you're in the Covid-19 thread. What is Covid-19, or SARS-COV-2, you may be asking? Covid-19, or Covid to save three precious keystrokes, is a novel virus that is currently the biggest global health crisis of the last hundred years, and- Okay yeah I'm gonna stop now, because at this point unless there are newborn babies posting on SA, we are all aware of Covid-19. This thread is an attempt to provide a place for goons to find resources and information, to ask questions of fellow knowledgeable goons (must stress that we do not have a credentialing system for self-professed subject matter experts, so standard disclaimers about not taking medical advice from strangers on the internet apply) and yes, to debate and discuss the various complex and interwoven systems that are ensuring that some countries are performing terribly at stopping the spread of this deadly pandemic. ( :911: )

As far as thread rules, please try to treat each other like human beings. Politics is serious life and death poo poo, especially when it comes to an ongoing pandemic ravaging society, but most people in this thread are in agreement that a) deadly viruses are bad and b) governments should generally be doing more to help stop the spread.

New Rule as of 9/20/21: If you post a link to a pre-print study, you must include the conflicting interest statement from said pre-print in your post. Thanks.

Regarding thread bans: Current threadbans: Vasukhani, Poll Plane Variant. Subforum bans remain banned from this thread.

Live youtube feed of Covid-19 stats upload in real time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMre6IAAAiU

dwarf74 posted:

I'm not sure if this is helpful for a new OP, being a few months out of date, but here's Total Deaths, All Causes, US, Weekly from a CDC/NCHS dataset I grabbed earlier this year. I put this together to respond to claims about how (a) covid isn't actually killing people, (b) it's not actually that deadly, or (c) deaths are being mislabeled as covid for nefarious reasons.

It's no-frills, but I tried to make it as simple and self-explanatory as possible.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, I can add excess deaths when I next grab the data set. It's a great set - but really annoying to sanitize because it uses flu season rather than year, and the sorting gets way out of whack. (Example: Week 1 of 2018-19 comes after Week 52 of same, which is great for flu but poo poo for showing spring-summer 2020 for a less-data-literate audience.)

It's also got helpful columns like "flu deaths" and "all respiratory deaths combined". Or used to, last I snagged it.

If you want to play with these numbers yourself, you can get them from https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/mortality.html - click Downloads and make sure you check all the boxes. It'll spit out a csv file for you. It's been a few months and has changed a few times since I started doing this, so no promises it's the same now or will be in the future.

Goon-made game/simulation to help people understand better how Covid-19 can spread throughout a workplace, courtesy of Coldrice.

:siren: Important Covid-19 resources :siren:

Masks, Vaccines, and Guzzling Horse CumDewormer

:siren: FDA announces approval of Pfizer vaccine for kids 5+ :siren:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...gh-11-years-age

:siren: Goon recommended mask suppliers here: :siren:

Kaal posted:

The Bona Fide KN95s are pretty excellent, and they come in different sizes, styles, and colors. They're Goon-recommended and also recommended by Wirecutter. We ordered a 10-pack to check them out, and then a 50-pack once we knew we liked them.

Website: https://bonafidemasks.com/face-masks/kn95-respirator-face-masks/

Coupons: https://www.wethrift.com/bona-fide-masks#deal=F3A85T8BV

poll plane variant posted:

Honestly upgrading from cloth to N95 or similar 100% of the time is probably the biggest easy thing you can do to protect yourself and others during "open Biden" delta surges. You can find the Asian masks for like 70c a pop on sale. I have a bigger face and these are my favorite for not popping off my chin. https://behealthyusa.net/products/special-blue-kf94-3d-mask-large-black-adult-size-100pcs-special-free-shipping Haven't worn a cloth/surgical since last summer.

:siren: Here's a link to a post I'm calling the "Vaccination Misinformation Reeducation Station," which is a curated reading list covering the antivax movement for those who are interested:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3979298&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post517712653 :siren:

Primer for reading scientific material by Fritz the Horse

Reading about science and you:

quote:

One thing to be aware of if you're viewing all of this from the outside is to straight up not pursue information about recent studies. The scientific apparatus is supposed to work through critical peer review and interpretation of multiple studies of the same subject over time, and "a recent study" coverage in the general press is never, ever going to give you that, even in a situation where the information environment isn't as contaminated as this one. There is not really a substitute for the level of literacy and individual nuance and expertise that comes with directly reading a study and learning the subject. You need to become somewhat comfortable with uncertainty, because no matter how smart you are, uncertainty is the basic nature of the situation.

That said, I did a bunch of effortposts on information and covid for earlier iterations of this thread; they've not been added to the OP yet as I forgot to mention them, so I'll link them here.

Here's one post I wrote on some caveats about which sources of science to trust:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915397&userid=198104#post503908856

Here's a post on how to read science:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915397&userid=198104&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post504891860

Here's a post about unhealthy relationships to information and covid:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3915397&pagenumber=504&perpage=40#post504210939

Detailed, nonexhaustive explanation of conspiracy theories and takedown of one of the earliest sources of the Wuhan lab conspiracy:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915397&userid=198104&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post514737951

Here are some useful basic sources on regulatory and monitoring issues and covid:

Here's the public-facing site for FDA on recent regulatory activity relating to COVID:
https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/counterterrorism-and-emerging-threats/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19

Here's their FAQ page:
https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/covid-19-frequently-asked-questions

Here's the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, which is generally an excellent way to stay up to date on US public health issues generally (but requires greater literacy):
https://www.cdc.gov/MMWr/

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This was a really good breakdown on the evidence of ivermectin effectiveness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0jzRPZogTI

TL;DR,

it does not help

Covax info for goons with too much money and want to try and do some good in developing nations still struggling to get access to vaccines

Kaal posted:

So Covax is the global effort to vaccinate poor countries, and it is run jointly by three organizations: The World Health Organization (WHO), the Gavi vaccine alliance (Gavi), and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI). WHO and Gavi have set up donation funds that are specific to Covid-19 (CEPI has an investment portal, which is more intended for large-scale funding). WHO is focused on medical training and advocacy efforts, whereas Gavi is focused on vaccine distribution. Here's more information about the Covax program: https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-middle-east-africa-europe-coronavirus-pandemic-5e57879c6cb22d96b942cbc973b9296c

Gavi: https://www.gavi.org/donate

WHO: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/donate

Goon-recommended research-related podcast: https://sphlearn.weebly.com/podcast

I enjoyed and recommend this article by VideoGameVet, written as an open letter to Bill Maher's dumb rear end, on why covid-19 isn't just an issue of kicking the obese to the curb, and how obesity is an epidemic created by our lovely capitalist forces in the US, lobbying for their special treats to remain unregulated. (Also they got a 3 day for posting it in YLLS, f )

VideoGameVet posted:

Bill Maher last Friday once again railed at the CDC for not talking about the connection between obesity and COVID deaths, but he totally ignores why food is the "3rd Rail" in American Politics.

So I wrote a letter to him: https://medium.com/weight-loss-truths/covid-and-obesity-an-open-letter-to-bill-maher-2bbf72df8102

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
:siren: This post updated 9/16/2021 with a heartwarming and bittersweet goon success story about convincing a vaccine hesitant friend to get the loving vaccine. :siren:

Pet tax is currently in effect for top of page posts due to the generally depressing state of Covid-19 news. If you are unable to provide, the thread will help out.

This is a light article that trashes evopsych and James Damore but also is about some fascinating poo poo (paleolithic area cave stuff) and helped me get some real loving perspective which is sorely needed after the last year and a half:
What the Caves Are Trying to Tell Us

Inspiring post that is still raw and real:

jetz0r posted:

Take care of your partner and yourself. That's both important, and something you can control. 95% rated filtration masks (N95, KF94, etc), boosters every 4-6 months, and do not share unfiltered air with anyone else. You can both make it through this, but you can't give up. All you'll get for giving up is the same toxic optimists that were eagerly telling you everything is fine will be telling you how unlikely it was that your partner would get that sick, or that you should have been more careful because of the comorbidites.

American society's leader do not care if either of you die or suffer. You know this, I know this, and they know this. The same people that don't want single payer healthcare because it's not profitable are still in charge. They are fine with any amount of suffering and death, as long they can profit from it. And right now, the way to stay profitable is to pretend everything is normal. But the world has changed. A respiratory disease that's as contagious as chicken pox, hospitalizes 10% of its victims, and easily spreads during an asymptomatic period is part of life now. I'm sorry there's no treat for being good. We're still in a devastating natural disaster, and sociopaths in charge are telling every one to get out into the flood waters to work and spend.

You can still go enjoy life with your partner, just not the same way as before. My partner and I have been doing a lot of picnics and walks outside, when the wildfire smoke is clear enough. Along with some joint arts and crafts to have some cool items that we both helped create.

Heartwarming and Bittersweet Goon Vaccination Success Story]

And an appeal if you find yourself feeling despair.

Jaxyon posted:

Please, please, talk to someone.

800-273-8255

Stop reading this forum if it's creating a negative fedback loop.

Take care of yourself.

:ughh:

Epic High Five posted:

Pretty concerning to see so many already straying from Appleist-Flavorist Thought
:hmmyes:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 16, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rosalind posted:

Thank you for the new thread and for getting rid of that link on the first page to horrifically outdated effort post I wrote in February 2020 with tons of (now known to be) ridiculously bad guidance.

I spoke with a friend at NYC DOHMH this morning. They're cautiously optimistic about the fall, despite schools reopening today. The new NYC mandates seem to be working, according to their metrics, but my friend wouldn't give me details on what that means.

edit: Oh also I know there are more than a few goons participating in the study I'm affiliated with. Thank you for your participation!

Kavros posted:

Thanks for the writeup, and much hope for the thread.

I'm still watching my family get split right down the middle on vaccination, with one side condemning themselves to repeat deaths for the sake of vaccine denialism. 3 deaths and 5 hospitalizations so far, and nobody we need to persuade can still be persuaded in any way. I hate the cynicism it inspires so I try to keep plugged into any news about the general advancement of public health against this horror.

Honestly the biggest thanks are for the thread regulars who showed up and contributed great content to a crowdsourced OP. We're lucky to have so many knowledgeable folks here willing to help us laypeople make sense of this poo poo and stay on top of things. Thanks to everyone in this thread for participating and keeping this thread useful. I'm going to compile the list of contributers and their selected cert request. If you have not made a cert request via post or PM and you were quoted in the OP, I will just ask for an av/title change for you.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jaxyon posted:

Worth noting that a coronavirus is a type of virus, or rather a family of types of virus. It describes the structure and is one of the least useful ways to refer to SARS-COV-2/COVID-19.

I mean I think most people here are just using it as shorthand and it's not that big of a deal, especially since the new thread title is more accurate anyway. But I don't think it's a bad call to include a brief note, thanks.

e: I realize you meant my paragraph in the OP and I'm editing now lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SubG posted:

Once again: this is speculative at best.

Thanks for the reminder. I meant to include both posts in the OP because despite the correction, I felt like there was a lot of good info in both, and I also thought it was useful to see the exchange.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So the current contributors to the OP I have currently listed are:

dwarf74
cr0y
MadJackal
Craptacular!
Heck Yes! Loam!
Objective Action
Kaal
jetz0r - plat
Jaxyon
VideoGameVet
SubG

If I missed you let me know, and if you have a specific preference for cert, let me know that as well. Preferably via PM if you have them so the thread doesn't become half cert requests.

Thanks for everyone who has participated and continues to participate.

e: Also these are not guaranteed, just as a reminder. I will do my best but I am but a lowly IK.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Excellent resources post; already added.

IK note: Much like certain campaign promises, it sounds like admins may be a bit gunshy about approving loads of certs. I can definitely get av changes for around 5 folks and I'll see what I can do about that plat request. I don't want anybody to feel left out, so if I'm not able to come through for you, I will try and do you a solid in the future. Typical shitlib, I know.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Stickman posted:

I'm not convinced masks won't be gone again the second Delta has some downward momentum or we hit some new piddly X% of eligible population vaxxed bs benchmark. The MSM is already spinning up their "endemic means ditch NPIs" consent machine and there's some serious deja-vu.

This is the shittiest rollercoaster.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

dwarf74 posted:

I too have the grey star of shame and neither want nor need anything, for my power is eternal

Also - my younger kid has now developed a slight fever. PCR test was done earlier today but it takes too drat long, so I grabbed a self-test for him just for like slight peace of mind or something. Waiting the 10 minutes right now.

:ohdear: Best wishes to you and your family; hope it's nothing serious.

e: oh wow it's been a while since I made a quote not edit double post.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

dwarf74 posted:

Rapid test came back negative. I know that's worth little, ultimately, but my current guess is RSV. We'll get PCR back hopefully tomorrow but I'll take what little reassurance I can right now :shobon:

:hellyeah:

Ok, so any one of these folks who would like a new av, let me know and get me whatever av image and text you'd like, and I can put it up the chain.

cr0y
MadJackal
Craptacular!
Heck Yes! Loam!
Objective Action
Kaal
jetz0r - plat
Jaxyon
VideoGameVet
SubG

jetz0r, I already submitted your plat and once an admin rouses from the deep sleep to push buttons you'll have the ability to be harassed via direct messages.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I get it's a song reference but can we not do this? Thanks.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Biowarfare posted:

I ordered 10 boxes of surgical masks from the same "add to cart" button (same ASIN, item listing, and FBA seller) and got five different brands lol

Individual action obviously doesn't do poo poo but whenever possible I just buy direct from manufacturers as much poo poo as possible whenever possible, or seeking out alternatives to Amazon. I know it's still all probably AWS poo poo on the back end but at this point I get better and faster shipping from most indie shops than I do from Amazon in most case, and that's enough for me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fritz the Horse posted:

what's wrong with us neighsayers

We're all just trying to make sure that you continue to have access to parasite meds.

e: quote not edit again and that's twice in a day; just put me in a home already :corsair:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

My attempt at time traveling has failed. :negative:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is the first I knew I was in the new OP. Thanks! I don't have PMs any more but would love to get them back.

Edit: should have read further. I would I've to keep my current avatar but remove the lovely text please, and thank you!

Your PMs should be back soon, I will still ask about the av text for you since I haven't gotten any avs yet to send up to admins.

:siren: Just a reminder if you contributed to the OP, go ahead and send me an av image and text and I will fire up as many as I think I can get approved. And if you need PMs I can fix that even easier. :siren:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SubG posted:

I guess. I think presenting a back and forth on unfiltered exhalation valves on FFRs vs EHMRs kinda buries the lede, though. Which is that it's kinda a moot point because you really shouldn't be relying on an unfiltered exhaust valve on an FFR for source control either. Like instead of a back and forth on the subject I kinda feel like the important information is that masks with unfiltered exhaust valves shouldn't be used for source control at all. That's the lede. We're only talking about FFR vs EHMR exhaust valves because people keep getting confused by that NIOSH paper on FFRs and are assuming it says something it does not. But even if it did apply to EHMRs...it still wouldn't matter because you shouldn't be relying on unfiltered exhalation on FFRs for source control either.

I mean given that we have good data on the efficacy of N95s/KN95s I kinda think the fixation EHMRs is a little weird. I understand that they make sense in some situations, but it seems like the better general advice for most people is to just get an N95/KN95, learn how to wear it correctly, and then to always do so. I mean MacGyvering a 7500 to have one reversed valve or whatever is fine, but I kinda feel like if you weren't already familiar with the SA covid cinematic universe or whatever (in which we hash this poo poo out every couple days) then if you stumbled into the thread and read the OP you'd come away thinking that doing a roll-your-own solution involving EHMRs was part of the default recommended covid prep routine or whatever.

I personally feel that N95s are good enough for me, but not everyone is living in the same place with the same current covid situation. But I'm happy to look back over the OP and make it clear what current guidance is, because it is a little messy right now just due to the way I sourced it with the thread's participation.

I personally feel the level of discourse in here is decent enough for that kind of conversation, but you're probably right about someone lurking the OP and I'll look into a better way to present that. I am definitely hoping to have enough energy to maintain a frequently updated OP simply due to the nature of an ongoing pandemic.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HonorableTB posted:

Hey Beetus, do you want to include the live youtube feed I sent you of global Covid data updated in realtime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMre6IAAAiU

Absolutely, I spaced on it. A lot going on between medical follow ups and the final fantasy pixel remasters coming out.

lemme know if you want a new av since you already have plat, or just send me the image/text

:siren: Minor updates made on 9/14/21, added YT feed of covid stats and link to reading material about the anti-vax movement(s). Also cleaned up mask guidance conversation and made Blackadder's important resource post more prominent. :siren:

Phigs posted:

If someone is boosted and wears an EHMR their exhaust is not going to be a major vector for disease spread.

If we're at the point of worrying about that sort of person spreading COVID we sure as gently caress should not be letting people out of their homes.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 14, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I feel pretty drat fortunate that I've managed to keep myself in relatively good shape wrt to diabetes. I sure as poo poo wouldn't be the one going into all the stores if I had any liver disease from it.

Fallom posted:

I had an inflamed liver for a year after mono and I was advised not to drink

Seems like good advice tbh

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SubG posted:

I mean the last page has been mostly people arguing about whether or not you should care about source control (!), asking questions about what kind of protection EHMRs provide, and people reiterating the information about the 3M 6000 series with a 604 exhalation filter, and so on. Which seems to be what happens every time any of those subjects comes up. So it seems like exactly the sort of thing that would make sense to be in the OP. And...and this is a question...does the thread have a no misinformation rule? Like if someone came in and started extolling the virtues of Ivermectin would the be told to cut it out? If so, it might make sense to actually assert a position on e.g. masking.

I did add an edit to say that for most people the N95s are what they should be wearing to protect themselves and others and made some edits to the quotes to remove more contentious bits. I think that makes sense enough for now. As to misinformation, it's not an official rule or anything but I will absolutely nuke poo poo like someone coming in pushing ivermectin or basequin or whatever the next bullshit is. As far as the stuff like preprints, in progress studies, etc etc, it's not as easy to separate the wheat from the chaff, which is why I also made a disclaimer about taking medical advice from strangers on the internet. I am not going to make a "no asking about masks" rule.

I really appreciate the criticism and will be earnestly trying to keep improving the OP, I don't want it to be stale. Maybe check the OP should be a thread rule, since I have a big announcement at the top of the page explicitly stating when the OP was last updated with new info.

Vasukhani posted:

Why is the process for children so much longer? This is absurd. The costs of kids getting critically ill from covid is much higher the risk of a few side effects.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to remain unthreadbanned, please try to be mindful of whether or not you're getting too worked up reading this thread or the news. I'm happy to have you here, just like everyone else, as long as we can keep things civil. Everyone in the thread is making risk assessments for themselves and their families and someone else's risk assessment may look a lot different from yours.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mod sassinator posted:

What exactly is the rule being broken here? You are not allowed to get too upset while reading the thread? Help us understand what your thought process is here because that sounds completely biased and arbitrary to enforce.

It's a simple question being asked and a simple answer.

Last time Vasukhani was in the covid thread they got threadbanned for getting extremely aggressive posters. I'm not talking about rules being broken, I just want to be sure people in the thread can coexist. Sorry if it came across as a bit heavy handed.

Vasukhani posted:

Which is what we're going to end up with now...

I'll stop on this topic since I dont want to get thread banned again. Thank you for explaining that the main issue was the late initiation of trials.

You know what, I'm sorry for calling you out like that, but you don't have PMs and I didn't want to assume you wanted them, because some people prefer not to have them as a way to prevent harassment. I didn't mean to make it sound like a threat or anything like that, or to imply that you are on thin ice.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 14, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vasukhani posted:

It's okay! I was pretty mad the first time I was in this thread because of the megadeath. But I understand you just don't want it to become a shithole thread like it can when people start to dehumanize themselves and face the bloodshed of all of this. I won't promise to post better but I'll try to be less mad.

:hfive:

Pet tax for the page:

Cat's a big My Pillow fan, what can I say

V Check your pms yo V

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 15, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

UCS Hellmaker posted:

The FDA you dumb gently caress the same people that stop the doctors associations from giving out things like thalidomide in the US without proper testing. There is a reason that anything pediatric related is heavily scrutinized, and the FDA will gladly step in and shut down any testing that is done in a rough shod manner and doesn't abide by the protocols required. because we have evidence of what happens when a country just lets things happen with little oversight But hey, I don't know poo poo but I know more then you and how testing works because its something we get taught and they slam into you that anything pediatric related takes an insane amounts of paperwork and slamming through an emergency action isn't possible because we don't want to repeat Mengele comparisons because of fear.

I know what you're going through and I know the point you are trying to make, but consider stepping away from the thread for a moment. I can give you a probe if you want to remove the temptation; and that's a genuine offer and not a threat.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gynovore posted:

Is *anyone* on SA endorsing ivermectin non-sarcastically?

I was just using it as an example because it's incredibly obvious and would clearly be not ok in this thread. Misinfo isn't going to be tolerated and if you think anything posted in the op or thread is misinfo please let me know or report it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I realize it's not quite the SA that produced tribute.wmv but I can't really ban a gang tag from the thread. I also can't justify banning gallows humor. If you think something really crosses the line, feel free to speak up, but I think in this case it was explained sufficiently well.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
People honestly needed a lot more government money and more things needed to stay closed. But that's not how we do things in America and unless you can somehow roll back decades of starving the beast while endless war gets blank checks, I'm not sure how this could have happened much better, particularly with the Trump admin in office. I hate to be fatalistic about it, I think under a different set of circumstances, we probably could have done a lot better. But our fate was sealed in 2016 on how bad it was going to spiral out of control.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mod sassinator posted:

The Biden admins have made catastrophic blunders that greatly magnified and will prolong the pandemic too--mainly the bunk 'science' that it was safe for unvaccinated people to stop wearing masks in May this year. As we saw it wasn't safe--studies proved vaccinated could still transmit, and it did nothing to goose the vaccination numbers in any meaningful way. We would all be in a much better place if mask use had stayed mandated and more ubiquitous through the entire year. Many epidemiologists at the time were saying Biden's unmasking decision was too soon (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/upshot/epidemiologists-coronavirus-masks.html) and they were proven totally correct as we all plainly see now.

I'm not going to qualify every post with equal time for criticism of both sides but you can assume I am in 100 percent agreement with you on the mask guidance; what an absolute failure of leadership.

Fritz the Horse posted:

The end goal of the vaccines was always to prevent disease, not transmission. It is unremarkable that vaccinated people can get mild and occasionally moderate symptoms and are still transmissible (severe disease very rarely). That was entirely expected.

My personal take is that, yes, we eased restrictions earlier than we should have though I am not an epidemiologist. That doesn't really provide any bearing on where we go from here.

I guess that sort of kicks it back to the thread OP/IK on whether this thread should be more retrospective "where we went wrong" (lol everywhere, constantly) vs. "what is the current situation, best practices, where to go from here?"

edit: a fundamental part of science vs. pseudoscience or conspiracy theories is self-correction. Good science adapts and changes in reaction to new facts and knowledge. I see a lot of people (not here necessarily, in general) insisting "well Fauci and the government change their mind all the time and they've been wrong so why should I trust them??"

Because good science reacts to our evolving understanding of the situation.

This is a general statement, I'd need to go back and review the science at the time. Just because something was a wrong idea in retrospect doesn't mean it wasn't the appropriate course of action with the facts available at the time.

For the record, this thread isn't exactly a barn burner, so if folks want to talk about hindsight I'm not going to say it's verboten or anything. Just try not to be frothing assholes to each other, for the love of god. That is a general statement and not directed at Mr. Horse here who is clearly behaving himself.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 15, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
People who are fully vaccinated and wearing N95 or equivalent have very little to worry about wrt to covid. However going about unmasked has resulted in 2 vaxxed family members getting pretty not fun bouts of covid. Personally not part of my risk assessment to go out to bars and restaurants and other horseshit like that but I feel pretty safe when I'm masked up and going to the grocery store or whatever. We are visiting family and close friends who are vaxxed, in many cases my partner still masks up because of potential exposures at work.

All of those things can be true and people can still feel legitimate frustration and anger at both past and current admins response to this pandemic. Just for gently caress's sake stop assuming the worst of each other and talking past each other.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Epic High Five posted:

At the risk of getting things all het up, my advice since last March for anybody who cared to ask or seemed in need of it was to look at countries that have actually contained this thing and do what people there are doing. Once the CDC advised against masks they were dead to me, and basically nothing has happened since to make me regret this decision. I'm sure there's lots of legitimate science and great people working there, but they don't inform the guidance the center gives. The May open'er up didn't surprise me at all but I certainly wasn't about to change my behavior considering even the stuff they were saying at that time was demonstrably false, like vaccines prevented spread.

If I had to pick a "where it went wrong" it would be that it became just a smaller part of the broader culture war that is consuming all facets of American life, but tbqh I don't think there's any way it could've been avoided considering even socks and coffee pods are partisan flashpoints now.

fake edit - I think another big thing is that it's abundantly clear that most Americans have not actually ever had a "normal" flu and definitely have never had to deal with pneumonia in any capacity

Yeah, I my partner and I both got the flu type A in March 2020 ( :gritty: ) and it was awful. I was sick as hell for like 4-5 days straight and we both ended up needing to go into urgent care to get fluids. In March. 2020.

So yeah until then I sure as hell don't think I've ever actually had "the flu" before, or the vaccines were doing their job until I got unlucky.

e: I had to go back to work for like a day after the flu incident and then the governor's mandates came down, and I pulled cord using my medical liabilities and went on UI until I was fully vaxxed and comfortable going back to work. Then the next big medical complication entered my life and now I'm here in this thread. What a ride.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 15, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm not sure the recall results are that clear, given the particular Republican candidate looking to win in the recall. It's probably a good sign, but I'd be curious to see what the results would look like if it was explicitly a measure to continue with mandates and restrictions.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Epic High Five posted:

I'd say the more relevant argument isn't drawn from this but rather supported by it. Vaccine mandates and NPI mandates and similar have enjoyed a 20+ point over open'er up since basically it started being polled nationally. That this would reflect this in part isn't really a surprise, though you'd never know this if you aren't totally brokebrained.

Probably another confounding factor isn't necessarily that the competition was a lunatic, but rather Elder's campaign message in the last week was "it's pretty suspicious how obvious it is I'm going to lose" which...probably doesn't inspire people to hit the polls. Like when your campaign messaging is so bad that even red state Dem parties famous for being totally worthless wouldn't even dream about it, you're probably not going to have a good time

Those are solid numbers in support of continuing protective measures, it's heartening to see that more Americans (at least in CA) actually want to be safe from the ongoing global pandemic.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Platystemon posted:

The run on ivermectin was “based on science to some degree”.

That is to say that they both involved weak science that at most warranted “hmm that’s interesting. Get back to me with studies that don’t have these serious flaws”, not “let’s rewrite policy right now based on this preprint”.

https://twitter.com/DiseaseEcology/status/1371346026355851266

That was a great tweet thread to read through, and I will point out that they also say that in most places with mask mandates in place and proper ventilation it's probably safe to resume in person schooling. But that only goes so far in a country with inadequate educational funding, to say the least. So I suspect that a lot of schools that don't have mask mandates or properly ventilated classrooms are still going to open, and that's especially frustrating with child vaccines right around the corner in the US and currently in use in other places in the world.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jaxyon posted:

It doesn't really matter because kids aren't even getting 1' of space in most classrooms. They're hoping that covid moves in straight lines and only when students are at desks so the plastic barriers can stop it.

When I finally tried to come back to work, they had done the bare minimum of putting non-fixed standee style plexiglass screens that didn't even cover the entire frame of most cashiers and most people had to work around it to scan poo poo in people's carts anyway. Covid theater is even more infuriating than the bullshit security theater everyone has been living with at airports for the last 20 years.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HonorableTB posted:

I wasn't able to get online today until after work, and the first thing I saw online today was a cabinet level foreign official give a televised statement debunking claims about Nicki minaj's cousin's friend's balls.

I'm just gonna log back off

To think that Planned Parenthood could have saved us all by subtweeting her with "that's just chlamydia lol"

Nikki Minaj's Cousin's Friend's Balls is unfortunately too long to be a username.

e: oh huh my joke in the last op about Work In Progress (feat. Comrade Nikki Minaj) sure aged like milk

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 16, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Quoting this for the OP and going to throw a pet tax up. Horse we have a firm pet tax in this thread and your av does not count.

:colbert:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 16, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HonorableTB posted:

Thank you all for the kind words! I accidentally left a url in the screenshot and edited it out, so please use the updated screenshots if my post will be in the OP :)

I made it so it links to your post in order to keep OP size a little more under control. :unsmith:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Complete shut-ins fully vaccinated and going no contact seem like pretty unlikely covid spreaders regardless of whether they are practicing source control or not, but all the same I think I'm going to restate that the thread standard is essentially N95s should be worn by most people and I'd like us to respect each other's risk assessment choices as much as possible.

Thanks y'all!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Most of those are unvaxxed. Boosters won't help them.

Have there been studies done specifically for health care worker immunity over time? I'm not an expert but I'd assume that regular exposure to the virus over the course of their work would allow them to maintain a high level of immunity even without boosters.

I'd be curious to see more info as well. I have a friend who works directly in a covid research lab and she's pretty sure her regular microexposures have made her retain a high level of immunity. Now it's possible that she's a dumbass or doesn't do the kind of research that means anything, but I am definitely likely nowhere near as informed as she is, and she was one of the first people to show me raw delta data and recommend that I continue to mask up for my groceries and such 100% of the time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mod sassinator posted:

The Israeli data from Pfizer is healthcare workers, they were the first to get shots. They've been coming down with breakthrough cases with effectively a 6% drop in efficacy every month post 2nd shot.

'Microexposure' with viruses is something I have never heard of in my life. Think about how catastrophic it would be to the lab if what you are saying were true. So the lab is so sloppy with PPE, handling, protections, etc. that it's just exposing all the workers a little bit to dangerous pathogens? This isn't radiation--one viron has the potential to start a full infection.

I was skeptical as all hell but I am certainly not a subject matter expert by any means. The most critical I got to her face was that regardless of her confidence level, I recommend she still continue to use an appropriate level of caution. She's fairly low risk of covid, unfortunately she's a sport bike rider so uh covid might not necessarily be the worst risk assessment she currently has.

Vasukhani posted:

There is also literally no way a surgical mask (which I can feel air escaping on the outside) is better source control than a pressure checked half mask with a piece of cloth over the exhale valve.

N95s and KN94s are not surgical masks and a properly fitted one will be a fine amount of protection for the vaccinated goon in most cases, and is currently the DND Covid-19 thread general recommendation.. Not everyone here lives in the same place however and some circumstances may dictate a different level of protection and risk assessment. It's fine to discuss all this but make sure you're listening to the points people are making instead of something no one is saying (that surgical masks offer satisfactory protection from covid).

Thanks everyone.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 17, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Stickman posted:

Any parent can tell you that frequent exposure to disease just means you get sick more often :v:

Yes but I believe being a parent is called "macroexposure." :imunfunny:

Alternative to pet tax for the page:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fritz the Horse posted:

Actually it is entirely appropriate to critically appraise the claims made by vaccine manufacturers when many experts are unconvinced the boosters are necessary for the general population. It is not medical experts writ large aggressively pushing for boosters for the general population, it is the pharma companies. That is certainly not reason to invalidate their claims, but it is worth noting.

It's also irrelevant to bring up antivaxxers. We're talking about boosters for people who are already fully vaccinated. The actual cost-benefit analysis is along the lines of:

Do those third shots give enough of a boost to the US general population that it's worth devoting many tens of millions of doses to rollout at this time? Or would those doses be better used for the unvaxxed either here or in other nations? I mean, South Africa is having a hell of a time with the pandemic (among worst in Africa) and has high rates of HIV infection, for one example.

If the boosters are authorized and pushed for general population, how will that impact availability for high-risk populations and unvaccinated in the US?

Granted at this point I don't think you're reaching very many unvaxxed people in the US, but there will still be a trickle due to the recent mandates and worsening delta peak.

edit: my personal stake in this is that I was on a ventilator for three days and almost died in January 2020 for reasons unrelated to COVID. Due to those issues, I'm in a high-risk group and recommended to get a booster ASAP.

Because of that I'm a little concerned about the possibility of a rush on booster shots by the general population delaying boosters for the high-risk populations that definitely need them. Maybe that's unfounded and there's plenty of supply, but that's my own personal investment.

I think it is the responsibility of the US to deploy more vaccines to other countries ASAP. We hosed up our own response to begin with and hoarded vaccine. It is incredibly selfish and inhumane to hoover up booster shots for marginal effect when they could instead be used outside the country to save vastly more human life.

Like if the metric is "human lives saved" then ship them to Africa, holy poo poo are you kidding me?

I continue to find your posting great. IMO though, I live in an area where free walk in covid shots are everywhere with like zero wait, and I don't even think we're at 70% vaccinated. I honestly can't really give too much of a poo poo if someone wants to do something currently already being done for many Americans and many international citizens, because the doses that are already there are pretty much there.

That said please speak to your doctor and get their recommendation if that's an option available to you, before taking the advice of a stranger on the internet telling you it's totally cool.