Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

enki42 posted:

This is highly dependent on how old your kids are. High school aged, sure (but then again, those ages are more likely to be vaccinated and thus less of a concern). I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old, and I can't think of many places in the world where leaving them at home for a full day wouldn't be considered reckless (it's flat out illegal where I live).

Even if you are working from home, it's impractical to assume that especially with younger children that you'll be able to work effectively and they'll just do remote learning all day. There's real impacts, and needing to care for your kids even 50% of the time (if you're able to split with a partner) will definitely impact your job, both in terms of your actual productivity and your reputation. I've heard many, many stories from fairly horrible managers about how irresponsible X employee is because they're always taking care of their kid and not doing work, and virtually every office environment's remote policy takes great efforts to stress that spending any work time on childcare is strictly prohibited.

Parents are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Supports just don't exist - while here in Canada there are benefits you can take related to COVID if you're laid off, needing to take time off to care for children isn't a permitted way to get them (unless your child's in-person school was closed). Even assuming you could weasel your way in, you're potentially trading a steady job and your professional reputation for $2000 a month in support.

Yeah, it differs from person to person obviously but even the idea of "well the government should just pay everyone enough to stay home and take care of kids!" is poorly thought out and would put a huge hardship on parents. For one, lots of people can't just pause their jobs, or don't WANT to pause their jobs. Unless the government could literally tell every business and institution in the country to halt everything their doing and not let any of their workers work, then you end up disadvantaging people who have to stop working to care for their kids. Even if there's some law that their jobs have to be waiting for them, how many people do you think are gonna get hosed over when they go back to their job and have lost responsibility and promotion possibilities (this is not new at all, it happens to women all the time when they have kids!)
On top of that, staying home with your kids isn't some fun vacation time, it can extremely difficult day in and day out especially during a pandemic. Kids aren't easy, it isn't a "well you just don't love your kids and don't want to spend time with them" thing, it is just an exhausting tiring thing to do sometimes even with the best behaved kids.

There really aren't any great or easy solutions to the kids and school problem...there are 100% things that could have been done better, maybe there could have been more pressure to get vaccination trials started sooner, push back school openings, more effort to make classrooms safer, less emphasis on "well kids are a low risk group so let's not worry about it too hard" which in retrospect was bad messaging that's causing problems now with people saying "well kids don't get covid!", but ultimately there was no easy fix to this either and that's probably partly why we have the muddled response that we got...no one really knew how to do this poo poo.

Re: removing the mask mandates/recommendations, it's pretty obvious they were hoping to incentivize more people getting the vaccines with the carrot of "then you'll be able to go back to normal!" but it was poorly thought out and then they got caught with their pants down with delta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jaxyon posted:

Nobody said it was easy, but the government could very much do this and other governments have done this.

Done what? Send kids back to school safely?

quote:

Governments already did know how to do this that's why governments in some places did do things.

Test, trace, isolate is a well known tactic in response to a pandemic as are quarantine lockdowns.

We had entire huge guides on how to handle pandemics.

We have legions of experts.

"Nobody knew" isn't a really good take.

I think there is another context/argument that you really are ultimately making and that's about how the US government and US people have basically failed at this pandemic and I feel the "other countries have done this" argument is more appropriate as a critique of the overall US culture, form of government, and people itself. When I talk about the stuff I talk about it's in the context of knowing our country is hosed and we can't go back in time and magically find a way to fix it before this. I don't think the people in the US, the state and local governments, etc, are willing and able to carry out the things you talk about. The federal government would have to be willing to use military force all over the nation to enforce quarantines and lockdowns and mandates and we know they won't do that, but you can't rely on local authorities to do it either.
Basically, I wish the US had the ability to confront this thing better than it did but honestly I don't think it was ever a possibility no matter who was president at any tiem during the pandemic. This country just doesn't work that way to its obvious detriment in this instance. That is a valid critique of the US and its response but I just don't really feel like it's a winning comeback to these type of conversations either. "Well the US should have just done what we know it's incapable of doing!". At the very least dig into why.

"nobody knew" what to do about kids and schools because they hosed up thinking ahead about their "kids don't get sick" messaging and honestly I don't think they really prioritized a good solution, but I still don't think there was or is a good clean solution within the context of what we have to work with in the United States.

quote:

They weren't caught with their pants down it was already known months in advance of removing mask mandates.

Caught with their pants down can also mean they disregarded what was happening in India (thinking "well it's India that's basically a third world country right??) when tehy should have been paying attention. It doesn't mean there was nothing they could have done to foresee this, it means they were unprepared for a variety of reasons and it's on them for loving up the response

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Smeef posted:

China is not a great comparison for 'what should X country do'. Yes, they have done an amazing job of getting and keeping Covid under control despite it originating there, spreading there for months before it was recognized, having a billion people, etc.

However, China has a few things in its favor that a lot of countries do not have and cannot just switch on overnight. It doesn't discount Chinese performance, but it does limit the transferability of the lessons.

:words:

All that said, this does not mean that the alternative to Zero Covid is Let'er Rip. I don't think anyone in this thread is suggesting that. I think everyone laments that we can't have more decisive and effective responses in many places. But people are rightly recognizing that some of the proposed solutions are basically fantasies.

I appreciate your posts on this and it's noticeable to me that no one is really responding to them. I feel like your points about China not being a good model for the US to follow for a variety of reasons (not the least that the US population just simply did not and does not take it as seriously as the Chinese population) are important and people are just ignoring them or handwaving it away.

If the US wants to somehow to get to "COVID zero" it needs to find a path that's quite a bit different than China IMO

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Evis posted:

Is there a way to do that in the environment of “individual freedom” that exists in the US and Canada etc? Without restricting communications or movement I don’t see a way to do it. You can do a few things like hand out free HVAC systems with HEPA filters or free masks, but you can’t even get people to use them. It seems like we simply lack the ability to deal with any large problem such as this because it’s impossible to herd cats.

I mean honestly yes this is probably the most accurate

Things could be done better but I don't really see a way for the US to stamp out COVID entirely due to the nature of its people at the very least

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm vaccinated but i still make an effort to avoid being in high risk areas.

so how safe is public transportation?

depends on where you live?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mr Interweb posted:

los angeles

I don't live in LA but my impression is that the area is decent at masking guidelines and vaccination, so a quality mask and avoiding rush hour if you can is probably OK depending on your risk tolerance.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

VitalSigns posted:

You can still do all of that without breaking lockdown, you're acting like MMORPGs don't even exist

oh come the gently caress on if you're not trolling with this you're being willfully ignorant or delusional

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I want to know the mechanism for covid shrinking your penis

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Epic High Five posted:

COVID annihilates blood things and the peener is basically 99% bloodthings by volume

but the vaccine makes your testicles swell so it seems we have proof that the vaccines work because they do the opposite of covid

e: look for my preprint...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

KittyEmpress posted:

Also even if omicron is milder, it doesn't mean it'll stay that way. Encouraging everyone in the country to just catch the disease seems like a great way to get a dozen new variants, some of which could be much worse or even just a little worse.

I don't think it's worth even thinking like this on a national scale...like, the US could do a complete reversal and suddenly achieve covid zero and we are still going to get a "dozen new variants" unless every place on earth also achieves covid zero which is an unrealistic ask in the end (I mean, poo poo, it's an unrealistic ask for the US to achieve covid zero).

I don't say that to dispute the idea that we should be trying to avoid as many infections as possible, just that I think maybe we/people think too small on this stuff rather than globally as is necessary if there was any hope to avoid variants etc

Speaking of feigl-ding I found it amusing in my twitter feed to see someone retweet him loudly proclaiming "BAD NEWS: OMICRON DOESNT' SHOW UP IN RAPID COVID TESTS!" immediately followed by another tweet from a different person pointing out that the FDA press release didn't say what feigl-ding said and that the headline for it was misleading

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Where are people getting the idea that omicron is mild, other than some countries having lower hospitalization and death numbers? This seems premature, like the belief early on that children were unaffected or at zero risk of serious illness.

how else do you determine the severity of something? looking at hospitalizations and deaths compared to cases is a decent way, but most people are still hedging their bets with "it looks like, so far" etc

could be that things play out differently in the US or other places. Also I think it's worth saying that "omicron is milder" means on an individual level someone may be less likely to end up in the hospital etc, not that we will see fewer hospitalizations overall (since omicron is far more infectious, even fewer hospitalizations per case could mean more hospitalizations overall)
I feel like I've seen people arguing past each other over that distinction in this thread which isn't surprising.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

One can’t say “Omicron is mild” with hospitalizations jumping at their highest since 2020.

I mean, no, that's not how it works, you need to define how you're evaluating it. If you're talking about overall impact? Sure, huge number of cases means huge number of hospitalizations even if the percentage of hospitalizations is lower than delta.

but when people say it's "milder" almost all the time they're talking about on the individual infection level, not the overall impact. So this arguing over the term "mild" is getting pretty dumb

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m asking how we can investigate the claim that covid is now a mild experience at the level of the individual, and therefore nothing to be seriously concerned about in day-to-day life, or what we would need to do in order to investigate that.

who's making that claim?

I think every health professional etc that I see talking about omicron being more "mild" than delta is not using that to claim that things are OK now and we're in the clear. I think the overall picture I have gotten is people just putting that out there as data and less about making claims that it is not something to be concerned about. Though I think the media and twitter have always had issues with their messaging over this kind of thing...you put out info saying "fully vaccinated and boosted people have a very low chance of severe infection" which is good info to have and then suddenly people think "well I can do whatever I want and I"ll be fine, they said I won't get a severe infection!"

Also, just saw this article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/12/28/cdc-isolation-guidelines-rationale/

quote:

They worried the sheer volume of infections could mean that tens of thousands of police, firefighters, grocery workers and other essential employees would be out of work, making it challenging to keep society functioning, even though many of the infections would be mild or produce no symptoms, the officials said.

So there's seemingly the main justification of shortening the quarantine period.Seems a lovely decision forced by a lovely situation.
e: I've definitely also seen concerns that there won't be enough healthcare workers in hospitals to handle the surges in hospital cases without this change.
I'm not advocating for it at this point

Levitate fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 29, 2021

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gripweed posted:

Pinning masks to vaccination rates was such an insane mistake. It always should've been tied to the number of cases. People would understand that. Covid cases have reached x, so now you don't have to wear a mask. They've gone up above y, you have to wear a mask again. But instead they used it as a reward for getting a vaccination. So telling people to wear a mask again is taking away a treat. Why should people wear a mask if they've already done the Right Thing and gotten the shot? Absolute unforgivable idiocy.

It feels like they banked totally on vaccines and only dealing with the initial version and when Delta came along they had no clue what to do or any inclination to change course and just said "gently caress it, stay the course"

Things probably would have been more or less OK if variants didn't exist but they should have never banked it all on vaccines and no variants the way they did and now they have been too scared to try to change messaging

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yeah really. This seems to approach anti-mask mentality. Owlofcreamcheese can you clarify your position here?

Seems clear he's questioning whether the CDC guidance affected mask usage, not whether masks are effective.

that said I'm pretty sure it did affect mask usage but iirc it was mostly during the time before Delta so vax'd people not wearing masks was actually generally OK

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

empty whippet box posted:

It definitely did. Anecdotally, where I live in Ogden, UT, mask usage was actually really great in the first few months of the year. After this guidance, I rarely saw masks, maybe 1 out of every 10 people at most.

Yeah here when mask mandates were removed I definitely saw an immediate increase of people not wearing them, but I'm in the SF Bay area and even then most people continued to wear masks inside.

But even if it was "ok" at the time (pre-delta), it basically let the cat out of the bag. California did re-instate mask mandates indoors (except for indoor dining which...cmon) and compliance is good here, but other places are going to be more "well the CDC says..."

As for the quarantine stuff yeah I bet pretty much everywhere is gonna jump on board with that

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I'm having a difficult time finding any hard evidence on mask use declining other than tons of annecdotal data (including my own). TBH mask use measurements are hard to come by at all.

However, according to NYT, covid cases did shoot up from 21k 7 day average at the end of May to over 40k 7 day average at the end of June. This was also the time Delta was first hitting the US.

it all feels like a lifetime ago but I vaguely recall that basically the well vaccinated states were seeing very low case numbers by June but places like Florida were seeing cases rising extremely quickly and it was assumed that vaccinations were the main reason. Perhaps I'm misremembering.

I don't think Delta really hit until July, June was probably when we were hearing about it hitting India so bad.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 29, 2021

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What was the impact?

When the mask mandate was dropped may 14th the 7 day average was 34,499. It was down from that one and two months after. It didn't reach that number again for 65 days. There seems to be absolutely no sort of inflection at the point the CDC made that announcement. Like spiritually it feels like it SHOULD matter, because it was a bad call, and masks are good. but in practice it seems to have negligible actual in the world change in case spread. At least not in any obvious dramatic way that shows up in case count charts. (mostly because people kept wearing and not wearing masks as they had been before and the actual change from it wasn't enough to redirect the trend that was already ongoing)

Again I'd guess it had more to do with vax rates and not getting hit with an extremely infectious variant yet

I think I lost the thread on why this is being argued though.

The latest guideline seems to be weirdly thought out though or communicated. Like eh, leaving a bunch of wiggle room for interpretation, seems dumb. I have no problem thinking this is more influenced by business interests if in no other way than them convincing the CDC that things are about to fall apart if everyone stays home 10-15 days post symptoms clearing up

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Judakel posted:

Perhaps it is a lack of public health consciousness combined with a lack of resources to do so?

What does this mean? If you just put more police on the street to make sure no one leaves their houses then it'll work out? Maybe if you put bounties on people to snitch on their neighbors?

What's the magic enforcement solution here

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gio posted:

You continued to say it doesn’t matter what the CDC says if no one listens even though it’s clear many actually are. Are you disputing this? Or are you arguing that changing the quarantine policy, where symptomatic individuals are allowed to return to school in half the time, will have no or little impact?

I dunno why OOCC is arguing this really but I feel like the point that's trying to be made is something along the lines of the people who are going to be careful and comply with a mask mandate are the people who are going to be careful and continue to wear masks or reduce risk when there is no mandate, and the other people that might performatively wear a mask in a store during a mandate because "gently caress you I don't want to wear a mask this is bullshit" are the people who are going to have house parties and gatherings and spread the virus that way anyways

I don't think I 100% agree with that take exactly but the overall point being mandates rely compliance to be effective and if half the people (or whatever) are ignoring or skirting around the edges of it then the mandate isn't really an effective one

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Judakel posted:

You don't have to have police do everything. You can just hire people to monitor lockdowns. China doesn't just have police doing all the lifting in these circumstances. But China also doesn't keep it going for months and months.

I literally pointed to China for a clue as to what to do about the pandemic.

We've had people who live in China post here about the response and one of the big takeaways from their post was "I don't think this would work someplace like the US because a huge part of it is a population that is willing to follow the rules and do what they're asked/ordered" and that's just...not the US. At all. And it will never be. And it seems to be a reason why Australia's lockdowns eventually stopped working.

Without saying it's good or bad, I think China's population and situation is just different, and not something we can see "western culture" countries following

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I feel like a whole lot more could be done (in the US) but getting to "extremely fast and targeted lockdowns, extensive testing and contact tracing, COVID is contained to small outbreaks that are stamped out" would require a shift in public unity and will that I just can't fathom the US being able to do in a timely enough manner. You're fighting a country that has been selling its citizens on "rugged individuality and personal choice and freedom" so the people at the top can get away with their abhorrent behavior for hundreds of years and that's apparently not going to change for a pandemic that isn't killing a huge percentage of the population.

Like, mayyyyyybe if Covid was so deadly we were talking half the country is gonna die people would do what it'd take but I'm also 100% certain you'd have plenty of people calling it a hoax and intentionally disobeying quarantines and rules (and then dying) just because that's how this stupid country is.

But...it could be doing a lot more than it is

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Effectively the outcome appears to be the same. I guess one could argue that “we’ll never know” but the results are:

* more covid deaths under the Biden admin than during the same timeframe as Trump
* highest record of covid cases n the pandemic so far

I feel like this poo poo is disingenuous since when Trump was in office there was only the initial version going around while under Biden two extremely transmissible variants came around (neither of which appeared in the US to start)

That doesn't mean there isn't an argument that Biden should have done better, but at the very least you're comparing apples to oranges with stuff like this and should qualify it in your statements

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

lil poopendorfer posted:

When trump was in office, there werent vaccines available either.

If Biden had taken action against the variants but still failed, you'd have a point. They did essentially nothing despite having weeks of leadtime to prepare.

No, I still have a point, you just missed it.

Things were looking decent in vaccinated areas before Delta popped up...I think the problem is that Biden went all in vaccines and when Delta came around they just didn't want to roll back to more standard precautions and hoped they could just bulldoze through with high vaccine rates. That was definitely bad and continues to be bad. That is 100% the valid criticism of Biden's response.

To be honest with the way the US is I don't think there was ever any hope of Biden containing Delta and Omicron very well but they certainly didn't do much to try beyond continuing to push vaccinations...which is fine but not enough by far by itself

e: to clarify, my original point was that if people are going to make statements criticizing Biden's response then it shouldn't be by comparing infections and deaths to Trump but not acknowledging the far different environment we've been operating under for the past 3/4 of a year. There's so much to rightfully criticize Biden for that making lazy numbers comparisons without any context is pointless at best and probably manipulative

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 7, 2022

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Kagrenac posted:

If Trump was president it would have been Trump's vaccine and most of the partisan opposition to vaccines wouldn't exist. When the entirety of the federal response under Biden has been telling people to get vaccinated I really can't see how Trump doing the same thing would turn out worse.

I kinda doubt it...anti vax sentiment was already out there before Trump left office and Trumps people don't quite always follow everything he says (like him saying get vax'd now and people booing him etc)

I think it's just...a bit de-coupled from Trump himself because it taps into a lot of other conspiracy theory poo poo and doesn't just follow Trump and conservatism the same way as a lot of stuff.

You'd probably have a conspiracy theory out there that Trump is telling people to get vaccinated because he's tricking the libs into taking poison but he doesn't want his true followers to do it and you can decode that secret message by blah blah

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

brugroffil posted:

Better almost two years late than never, I suppose

https://twitter.com/bylenasun/statu...ingawful.com%2F

I feel like the CDC has been dipshits here and busy handwringing over "but what if some people don't' wear them properly and it gives them a false sense of security and they take more risks!" meanwhile people are still rocking bandanas and buffs depending on where you are.

So concerned over bullshit that is by far the lesser evil

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Fritz the Horse posted:

Please elaborate on why in-person schooling is "free daycare for folks who probably shouldn't have been parents in the first place."

You are welcome to criticize in-person school in the middle of the pandemic, certainly. The second part above is something I would appreciate you supporting or providing your reasoning for.

I mean cmon, this is bullshit

parents are required to school their kids and basically our entire society is based around school being a huge part of it. It's not just "free daycare!" when you're required to do it and the simple fact that anyone who wants to have a career needs to have their kids being watched or learning or something somewhere or it's just not possible.

and yeah those people working low wage jobs are hit worse by this stuff but apparently "they shouldn't have been parents in the first place" because if they can't work because their kid isn't in school then they're not gonna be able to buy food or pay rent

To be clear I'm not condoning the present school situation which is just poo poo but you're putting on the kid gloves with some BS "please provide support for your assertion that some people shouldn't have been parents!"

brugroffil posted:

Some of the bigger pushers of "kids are perfectly fine/open schools at any cost" have 'joked' on social media or in interviews about how much they hate their kids being home with them all day. Emily Oster is the prime example of this.

So? gently caress those people but just handwaving away the real problems with "but emily oster!" is some loving bullshit too

brugroffil posted:

It does suck that we've prioritized opening things like bars and restaurants rather than doing everything we can to make childcare and education as safe as possible.

Very much so. There can be a hell of a lot of things wrong with how the situation has been handled without making GBS threads on parents who are struggling to figure out how to navigate everything and keep their heads above water at all.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

nomad2020 posted:

When you put it that way, it does sort of sound like daycare.

I mean they also are taught skills and knowledge that is used to build the foundation of skills and competency as adults, as well as social interactions that are important to being a functional part of society (in so much as we have a functional society anymore).

If we're dismissing school as "just daycare" and claiming you shouldn't' have kids if you can't be a stay at home parent then we're basically edging into that fundie home schooling area of thought

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

enki42 posted:

No one has a problem with "schools are daycare" (I'd put a partially there, saying there's zero education at schools is dumb), it's when this is somehow judged to be parents fault.

I don't know what the proposed solution is supposed to be that makes the parents worthy of having children. Is the point that we need to force people to be housewives and / or househusbands again? Because I don't see any other option, and for the most part one persons salary can't support a family unless you're fairly well off anyway.

I think in the short term with the pandemic there are so many legit criticisms of how the schools have been handled we can spend plenty of time picking at that rather than immediately making GBS threads on the parents who are often being forced into tough choices and feel trapped with the situation.

like...maybe more effort could have been put into making schools and classrooms safer (ventilation, filtration, smaller classrooms and spacing), providing adequate PPE and testing, staggering classes and providing a mix of in person and at home while providing resources and assistance to those people who need it when their kid is staying home. poo poo I'm just spitballing but some sort of system where the lowest income people who can least afford to take off work to take care of their kids have their kids in school the most, the better off have their kids home for distance learning more days of the week, sorted out to provide lower classroom numbers and better protections, and then maybe not hand wring so much about the inevitable few who will game the system.
Maybe during the omicron surge schools should have been shut down for the month and government assistance given to those who need it.

Just maybe

but our government moves too slow and is too divided and too concerned with "looking bad" about this poo poo so instead we get nothing but covid

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Bel Shazar posted:

I've known seemingly decent parents... involved with the kids, with part of the community, they lend a hand, or donate, whatever.

I've known totally disconnected parents who use the scout unit as daycare services, I can imagine a similar outlook for school.

There's a deleterious feedback loop between the culture and the individual and the drive to absolve the individual obscures that.

I mean, structural racism exists but it also matters if you raise your kids watching fox news or reading Emma Goldman.

what are you trying to say here?

e: legitimate question

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Bel Shazar posted:

I feel like there are legit reasons to throw shade at some parents but not parents in general (and some non parents too). I think the rush to kill that line of discussion blocks a valid criticism that *some* people very rightly deserve.

I think if you (the general you) want to engage in that line of discussion then you need to be very specific about what you're talking about and really engage on it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

brugroffil posted:

I think part of it is that some of the loudest voices have been claiming concern for children and education quality, but once you strip it down enough it's really that they only care about the childcare part of it.

e: if they were at least up front about the whole "we need someone to watch out children while we work" aspect about it, it'd be more worthwhile. When they're lying about their base motivations and then turning around and attacking teachers/teachers' unions, they can go gently caress themselves. IMO.

Yeah, realistically it's all of those things tied together. There are legitimate concerns about education and social aspects of things along with how difficult it is to simply not have a place for kids to be during the work day, but if they're going to claim these things then they should have fuckin' done more to make it safe for teachers and kids and everything else!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Fritz the Horse posted:

That's the moderation guideline right now - you can make any argument you like, but you need to be prepared to support it. I called out that part because I agree with you, the poster should defend it. After a few hours, they did not reply, so I issued them a day long probation.

I did a similar thing with the user who claimed that China was lying about their COVID case numbers and possibly deaths, I asked them to support that. And they did, there was some back and forth discussion of it.

We're only about a week into this new setup. For now I'll stick to the approach I've been taking and see how it plays out, though I'm not rejecting our ignoring your feedback. Maybe I'm giving too much slack to bad arguments? We'll do a feedback thread again in the not-too-distant future and I'm sure the "moderate based on quality of argument, not substance" rule will be discussed.

Thanks for the explanation

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

cat botherer posted:

The deer overpopulation in the eastern US has exploded tick populations and lyme disease. The COVID just adds to that deer poo poo sundae. It's really hard to manage the population when they do great in suburbs, there's no real predators, and there is little public land to hunt. The wolf-coyote hybrids moving in are a fascinating response to this, but wild canids make everyone absolutely flip out.

people also tend to get mad about the idea of culling deer because "they're cute and aren't hurting anything and it's mean!"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

https://twitter.com/Bob_Wachter/status/1484316590715723776

Pre-print but method seems pretty straight forward. Seems throat or cheek swab alone with an antigen test is far less accurate

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rust Martialis posted:

At this point I also believe that the government may have decided that the risk of vaccinating children literally is higher than the risk of letting them get Omicron. I haven't dug into it but aren't there suspected side-effects of the mRNA vaccine?

Myocarditis I think. The chance of getting it is probably far outweighed by the chance of a bad outcome from COVID though so I don’t really know why they choose to make a stand about that

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

dwarf74 posted:

I am not sure how my younger son and I don't have breakthrough omicron right now - maybe we happen to have the right antibodies still swimming around, maybe we somehow avoided a concentrated enough amount of viruses, I dunno. I am really confused. I know this happens a lot, but does anyone know of any research with this? I keep going back to 'one party, 86 breakthrough cases earlier in omicron' and it seems it should be more inevitable than this.

I don't know of any research but it reminded me I did just see this article with some quotes from doctors etc

https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/article/Why-do-some-people-get-COVID-others-not-16800975.php

Basically, probably antibodies and luck with your bodies handling of it and maybe since you've gotten people in your house quarantined quickly you haven't been exposed to quite enough to overcome your bodies defenses

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

cat botherer posted:

Reviewers are anonymous, and typically older with tenure. That was a rhetorical flourish. "Science advances one funeral at a time." This is not a controversial thing to say. Why would you think preprint quality would suddenly drop because of COVID, despite most all research in many fields over long span of time showing peer review has minimal effect on quality and conclusions? The onus is on you guys here, I've got evidence on my side.

You don't really have a lot of evidence for your claims about reviewers, I'd like to see your sources on that beyond hand waving

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

freebooter posted:

You may have more of a point about hyper-politicisation and conspiracy theories, though in that case I'd argue Mark Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey are more influential than whoever happens to be the president.

There may be something to a person like Trump being elected president of a major world power that legitimizes that kind of thinking with other people around the world, in a way that twitter and facebook don't really "legitimize"

but I don't have anything to back that up, more hypothesizing.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Assuming the US, what's your plan to convince the large number of people (not even all of whom are far right anti maskers) that this is something they should do? What's your plan to deal with the threatening and violent protests that will follow?

yes the idea is sound and other countries do it but the US is particularly broke brained and it is a very hard ask to make something like that an accepted reality in the US. We can't even manage the barest smidgen of gun control despite the massive number of deaths from guns, mass shootings, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

My family just got it for the first time last week (of course it was a work conference)
For me it feels like it barely qualifies as getting it as at worst I felt a tiny bit of sinus congestion feeling/headache and a positive line so light I could barely see it and then tested negative again 4 days after
I can see how some people can have gotten it and never known
My kid had one day of bad congestion and then had been mostly fine but still testing positive after 5 days. My wife has had it worst and it knocked her out for days but she also got it on the tail end of being sick with something else so her immune system was probably pretty knocked down. Paxlovid seemed to help a lot