Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Don't be such doomers! If we band together as a society and stop all carbon emissions right now we can still mitigate the worst of the effects of climate change and save our civilization!

*Does not one solitary thing to reduce emissions*

*Approves record number of pipelines*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
The eating bugs bit with Nancy Pelosi watching to make sure we all did it was funny.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Slow News Day posted:

Only 1100 words, actually, and, no, it does suck that they are resuming the sale of leases! But I think the leftist disagreement comes down to "Biden should just ignore court orders and do whatever he wants, because that's what the previous guy did and he got away with it!"

Yeah man, it's in the rules that we all have to die so I say we rally around Diamond Joe and kiss his forehead and be glad for his rule following ways

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Look at me, I'm a columnist "Drink water when you are thirsty."

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

There was a Twitter popular person calling Peter kalmus a doomer and claiming his statements were bad for getting anything done lol

LOL here it is

https://twitter.com/realSethReeves/status/1439300997877092354?s=19

https://twitter.com/realSethReeves/status/1439397029663232004?s=19

You idiots! Corporations won't just let the planet die, OBVIOUSLY!

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Our God King Joe Manchin, upon whom all fate is decided. Praise his name, lest he cast you into the flames

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

honestly you have to read them all together and then recognize what it means for Chatham House to be putting those words to paper:

notice its "beyond the limits of what nations can adapt to" not mitigate-- adapt, survive.

Every time some paper cites "worst case scenario" I lol heartily with the knowledge that in a few years they will be frantically writing that it's actually gonna get so much worse so much faster.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Car Hater posted:

Lol fine I'll run the imaginary person over with my bike instead, as if it matters. The domes aren't coming to save us.

Better cool it. Someone out there right now is adding this post to a spreadsheet about violent extremism in CSPAM.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

We're all gonna die soon so smash that like and be sure to subscribe!

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Attacked and dethroned

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Wakko posted:

gonna be real i will never understand ya'lls obsession with the forum for liberalism. is the idea that if you beat the liberals here it will make up for neoliberalism killing the planet. is it something with your dads. like what kind of damage makes someone subject themself to d&d

Because the forums are an outlet for my cracking and pinging. I can yell at libs and laugh maniacally at the coming catastrophies so that I don't do that around people in my real life who I do not want to alienate and have happy positive relationships with .

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

gently caress you for exposing me to the term Father Profit. On the other hand thank you for making me a little bit more okay with the total destruction of a species responsible for the term Father Profit.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

wynott dunn posted:

https://beyond.ubc.ca/accept-rising-sea-levels/

"It’s time to accept, not resist, rising sea levels"

Why contain it? S'cool

In our latest report "Just Give Up: You can't Stop it Anyway, So Why Bother" we explore simple, cost effective ways of getting on in our ever shifting climate

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

kater posted:

I was expecting father profit to be some capatilist bedroom kink not uhhh idk empty Thomas Friedman bullshit

Your thinking of Daddy Dividends

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Raine posted:

Food $200m
Infrastructure $150m
Housing $800m
The Rich $3,600t
Social Services $150m
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my planet is dying

Sure. Gonna need some big cuts to housing and social services to start.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Wolfy posted:

Water and food are overrated anyway.

I watched Snowpiercer the other day and I believe that’s how climate change is going to play out.

Snowpiercer was severely optimistic about our willingness to invest in trains

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Sorry doomers but it's very nice outside right now. Sunny, crisp breeze, warm in there sun but not hot. Looks like it was all a hoax after all.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Koirhor posted:

I love The Expanse but everytime I watch the opening credits and see how they built a giant seawall to save the Statue of Liberty I lmao

One of my best crack/pings was a video demonstrating the effectiveness of different sea walls and one option was clearly far and away superior so they put in a lower third that said "most expensive option" to let you know that it ain't happening. No other options had any kind of qualifier attached.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
The movie is just massive crack/ping so of course it's being criticized to hell by the same kind of people making QCS threads about all of CSPAM, but if you like this thread it absolutely rules.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah I was really scoffing at the idea of the colony ship. Especially the idea that they could freeze themselves like that.

The most unrealistic part of the movie was the guy who looked up, saw the comet with his own eyes, and instead of doubling down and screaming even louder that comets were a myth actually got mad that his chosen political savior had lied.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Ikea sucks but so does spending my entire yearly income on a solid wood end table so guess where I'm buying my furniture.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

actionjackson posted:

the poster's comment was about needing a years salary, which was obviously an exaggeration, but those items are priced relatively low compared to some stuff I've seen. he also asked for an end table that was solid wood specifically :confused:

Sorry I was being both hyperbolic and flippant. Though I would say that with $300 being the low end for a very minor piece of furniture and extrapolating out how many other, more significant pieces I would need to buy to actually cut IKEA out of my life, my point still stands that it's just flat out unaffordable for me and many many other people.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

ELTON JOHN posted:

plus it probably helps the meat industry if they pretend that the only viable alternative is bugs it's a win/win from a lobbyist perspective

AOC and Nancy Pelosi are going to take away your burger and pass a bug mandate that says you have to eat 10 bugs a day!

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Femur posted:

Haha yeah dont the fda got a rule about how much is already allowed in poo poo in stores now?

If commie lib food regulators are stopping me from eating more liberty bugs that's bad. But if the commie lib bug mandate says I have to eat bugs that's also bad. Let the CEOs and only the CEOs decide how many bugs I eat!

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Oh good, we were really focused way too hard on the inevitable collapse of human civilization and it was getting tiresome

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
The movie can't teach anyone a lesson, and it knows this, and we know this. I don't know why "it's hamfisted" is the first thing everyone feels the need to point out. It's dumb entertainment, it knows it's dumb entertainment, it knows it doesn't have a subtle, deep lesson that only the most scholarly shall consume and understand. It's not meant to be a piece of cinema. It's just for laughs.

There's nothing to do but laugh at the absurdity and stupidity of our coming collapse, and the movie helps broke brained people like us do that. That's its only possible purpose. Of course it's not subtle, or deep, or meaningful beyond entertaining us and being fun to talk about.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Do you think it's okay to just wind people up? These are people who are upset you loving bitch! They're UPSET and you think it's OKAY?!?!?!!?

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
(in a raging inferno with JORP): we have to run! The flames are out of control

(JORP, Glowing with Galaxy brain lights): What is the model for control versus uncontrolled? Is the flame too hot? How is that being measured? You're saying I should run but have you even cleaned your room? I see no reason to panic.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Sorry, I only consume media created by good people, which in turn makes me good.

Hold on, Sonic the Hedgehog is trying to tell me something about ethical consumption under capitalism.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Chevron about to turn around and slap Donziger with another sixer for posting this

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
https://twitter.com/StreetFashion01/status/1487462424374648835?t=2U90r8dOBPs1ODxM-pe-Wg&s=19

Adidas saved the ocean. It's fine now.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I'm inspired. Gonna write "no more wildfires!' in lighter fluid outside and ignite it to raise awareness

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

What the gently caress is this?

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Life over, man! Life over!

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

smoobles posted:

lol it's cool that heat domes were a crazy hypothetical weather disaster that hardly anyone had heard of, and now there've been two in two years

Good climate disaster madlib template

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Pretty sure everyone here has already accepted that and are finding out that people outside get really really mad when we tell them that.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I was seeing some video saying that northern vermont was supposed to be the most resilient place to climate change, so I'll have y'all know that I am going to be going there

later suckers

Yeah have fun with that. I'm just gonna die while it's still easy.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Because of the plastic!

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Technically not every living person will die in the coming catastrophe so suck on that doomailures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I have 1000 mugs already. When everything collapses I won't need to dry out a ding dang gourd to drink out of. Now, clean, safe water to put IN my 1000 mugs is gonna be an issue.