Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

vyelkin posted:

I honestly had trouble following who did and didn't want one (because I am very stupid), so for the sake of my sanity just quote this post if you want a sixer with a bdelloid rotifer as the image

yeeeeaahhh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

RadiRoot posted:

it'll be in the low 30s tonight, global warming over?

same biosphere. one half of the country engulfed in flames, one half unseasonably cold and confusing for the birds. don't worry! the east coast will be "unrelentingly hot" later this summer so we too can enjoy the feeling that our bones are melting and that something isn't quite right with the amount of bugs left.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

im_sorry posted:

I would, but I'm in northern Alberta, and it looks like Silent Hill out there.

one upside to Earth's Crispening is that when COVID hit my parents were already fully stocked with N95s because of the constant fires. but of course their house burned down. but N95s!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

this may strike some readers as harsh but i personally think number should go down

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

my morning alarm sets off a radio and plays world news briefly so i can be sad as i greet the day, and i'm sure this has been discussed but in a piece about the G7 it was remarked the meeting "tackled" issues like poverty, violence, the war and climate change and i feel like i can't be the only one who wondered how each world leader like. got there. to the summit.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

sorry, to be clear, i know it doesn't make a difference whatsoever. they could have used a private jet, each of them, one for each piece of luggage they carried, and it wouldn't matter. what's funny to me is that a) the climate was a footnote on this broadcast and b) there's something emblematic about world leaders taking massive private jets to go to a meeting to discuss how they can limply combat the inevitable while simultaneously discussing the economics of how to best pretend to do that while still appeasing various shareholders. started my day with a lmao if you will.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

they could send me :10bux:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i've been cracking and pinging pretty hard for like three days or so but i just want to say i miss bugs

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

4d3d3d posted:

I can't believe more people aren't freaking out about this because they just aren't there, at least where I am. I can remember bugs being around in the 90s and into the 2010s maybe, but now they're just gone

this reminds me of the month before covid hit the us and i was full blown losing my goddamned mind and everyone around me was like lol we get two weeks off work. the only person cracking and pinging at my level was my neighbor. the sun is hazy today from the smoke in alberta and i am standing in an ikea holding a fake monstera wondering when my dad is going to die from the wildfire smoke. right before my partners mother had a massive stroke last year she told all of she needed to go home before el niño showed up but obviously never made it. we are running out of bugs.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

nikosoft posted:

How can they make us eat the bugs when the bugs are all gone? Checkmate :smug:

so you're saying i should eat as many as i can right now

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

the suffering is here. there's a willful lack of observation from most people as to how this is connected to shrinking resources, but it's true. someone upthread remarked deepening social inequities are what precede social collapse - any major city on earth is seeing obvious signs of decline and each one thinks they're unique, but they're not. my own city is getting a fun reputation for a very dangerous public transit system. there is nothing unique about us that creates a better environment for public violence (with the exception of an accidentally free above-ground transit system), it's just that it's really expensive here, and the suggestion is that we're experiencing a mental health crisis but no one is willing to posit why that is. it's because we're running out of poo poo. layoffs and rising food costs and rich people scrambling for resources is a canary in a coalmine and they're all part of capitalism spinning into entropy because things are starting to run out. i think most people can sense things aren't quite right, and they haven't been for a while, but since we've abandoned the pretense of giving a poo poo about COVID no one can just say "oh, COVID" in response to some dramatic shift in the availability of consumer goods or social resources.

media is pathologizing the vague sense of ennui we're all collectively feeling by circulating weird poo poo about how WFH degrades the "liminal space" between work and home, about quiet quitting and gen z being slightly more resistant to traditional aspirations. i've heard a staggering amount of people say things like, "but i did everything right," in response to their inability to achieve a life they were promised. all of this stuff is the same thing because people with huge amounts of power and money are cognizant of the shrinking pile of resources and they're consolidating before the plebs realize milk is suddenly $15 a gallon and we all start attacking each other because of an equal amount of desire to be comfortable coupled with an unequal opportunity to secure that. it's absolutely correct that mass death on the news is going to be boring. it already did get boring during COVID for most people. our society collectively proved that we can get used to anything in the name of pretending like everything is the same as it was in 2019.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

the winner gets access to the powergrid

the loser will weep and moan in the mojave

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Just a Moron posted:

Learning that bees can develop PTSD is really harshing my vibe today :smith:

the bugs are gone because they're in therapy

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Xaris posted:

they really need to touch grass

[touches ear piece] oh. oh no.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

a strange fowl posted:

planted six native eucalypts on some denuded public land and they've already put forth the green shoots of happiness :unsmith:

the small suggestion of joy

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Brainwreck posted:

"Water goes everywhere, eventually."

it's fine, it's just temporary

Nature is in its worst shape in human history, UN report says

quote:

Nature is in more trouble now than at any other time in human history, with extinction looming over one million species of plants and animals, scientists said Monday in the UN's first comprehensive report on biodiversity.

It's all because of humans, but it's not too late to fix the problem, the report by the United Nations says.

it's fine, guys, we're on it

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i think there's a responsibility to telegraph who exactly should still have hope. Tiffany Ferg (i think) made a video essay about rich people bunkers and it's pretty funny how the rich and powerful are expecting the future to be. "How do I make my security team loyal to me?" is a legitimate question posed by some brokerage ceo. Lol.

Lmao

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

yeah all the bad poo poo is baked in. "doing something" would benefit future generations which we probably won't do because we seem pretty averse to doing anything we don't see immensely and immediately personal benefits from imho

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

if i had the energy to write an entire essay about this i would probably posit that "the time to act is now" was a feasible thing to tell people any time between the end of the second world war and the very beginning of the 1970s, and any time after the 1980s was going to be utterly hopeless. deepening social inequities brought on by anti-labour politics of the 1980s in the western world completely brain-poisoned entire generations of people into rejecting basically any message they hear in literal terms, particularly one suggests they might be ready to miss out on something. the western world is particularly averse to changes to their lifestyle and now some people react to any change with hostility, even if it doesn't in any way affect them. i know it's an incredibly tiny minority of people, but the fact that most people are cognizant of a trend of destroying 2-4s of bud light with baseball bats because it's tangentially sponsored by a trans woman is telling of how some of us react to change now.

even people who don't react to ripples of social change with the same frothing hostility as your average chud are completely resistant to having their lives change. COVID did not help. it made people less malleable and adaptable, not more. these social changes are inevitable and strictly tied to our material conditions, which are already changing rapidly and are going to get much worse, but the majority of people you interact with are going to say the same thing: "don't blame me," which is followed up by the suggestion, "and since it's not my fault, i shouldn't have to change." and by change, i don't mean "do something", i mean literally tolerate the changing material conditions that are coming for everyone.

what i'm saying here is that this is going to get so, so much funnier.

it would be funny if he was a goon but was strictly on FYAD or something

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

bedpan posted:

I've checked with the scientists, and they wanted me to let you know that things are actually basically okay. Heck, they're even getting better! None of this then!

oh poo poo, did someone plant a tree?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Cold on a Cob posted:

agreed to all of your post, but this in particular is what finally pushed me to fully embrace "radical acceptance"

the priorities we were asked to maintain during the infancy of COVID, like keeping applebee's open, was telling. i'm not even being facetious here, we were asked point-blank to uphold capital above human life and applebee's probably wasn't even the most shallow of them. many of us povvos were asked to return to some pretty frivolous work entirely too quickly in the interests of the economy, because otherwise who is going to pay for all of this? this was an immediate, urgent and obvious global catastrophe and the powers what be showed their entire rear end in response. we could have experienced a philosophical nadir in our culture by asking what do we owe to each other, but instead we asked, how much do we owe to each other? the climate apocalypse will be identical. people are scared to have things taken away so they'll look away as oil barons and tech ceos rifle through their wallets while they survey what remains of their personal resources.

Hit Man posted:

Planted some flowers, actually. Hoping against hope they hold out against next week's heat wave.

Also it hasn't rained in weeks so I'm draining fresh water from wherever, who cares, these flowers cost $9.99

we have water?? hot diggety dog!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i keep wanting to replicate the indoor hydroponic/greenhouse set up my brother made but i think he's just Better At Plants than i am. my mother thought he was growing weed in the basement but it turns out he was growing cucumbers and tomatoes and the weed was actually in the backyard. i think he will do well during the water wars

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1662043592720826369

say the line bart

quote:

In addition to taking steps to reduce climate change overall, there are more immediate measures that people suffering from allergies and their health-care providers can take to provide some relief.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

lol

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i have a potentially stupid question: when measuring how much people "emit", do we measure that by manufacturing and output or do we measure it by the actual impact of items consumed? i just woke up so i'm having a hard time phrasing this. like when the us or canada goes, "we produce [x] carbon ergo we hit our climate goals" are we counting the stuff we make or the all the stuff we actually use? i have a feeling it's the first one

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Puppy Burner posted:

We blame China for the emissions for everything we consume

i thought as much, just wanted to confirm

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Heatwave unveils ancient settlements in Wales

before we all die we will be able to see the spectres of our ancestors weeping for rain

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Owlbear Camus posted:

I was really starting to get worried.

electric cars :)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/dashcam-video-shows-out-of-control-nova-scotia-wildfire-1.6417621

halifax and nova scotia are now also on fire

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

:) hot earth provides limitless opportunities

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

aside from the fact that just making less poo poo and having less people going forward would do nothing to fend off whatever changes are already baked in, the fact is that even wealthier people in the western world consider having children to be a sort of personal decision based in self-fulfillment.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

silicone thrills posted:

Sure poo poo is baked in but like idk I still do have an idiotic glimmer of "we could still maybe turn the ship around before like 99% of us are dead"

an extreme, global effort involving every single person on earth who will from this day forward go with a significantly less than they had before and a complete rework of our economy, lifestyles, and personal values would help to reduce suffering for people living 100 years from now, but it would do gently caress all for us because what's happening to us is mostly baked in from the last fifty years. the milk is spilled.

moreover, there is a super tiny minority of rich people who could not conceive of a life absent of things you can't even imagine. the reason WFH is under fire is because a poo poo ton of rich people own office buildings and they lose investments if those things close, and they would have to go without a second megayacht. the reason people are bargaining for our future with the ways we consume things is because the people who produce the things we consume stand to lose a lot of money and we're not going to stop. green shopping is so popular because it gives you the illusion of "doing something" while doing nothing to reduce the amount of poo poo you're actually consuming. and even if you stopped consuming everything except for the actual bare minimum, and everyone around you did too, it would not stop what's happening right now.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

oh, and because we are completely tied to capitalist ideology, let's say you close a factory that makes something frivolous, like baby toys or something. lets say this has any impact on the environment, even a little, which is better than nothing. thousands of people are out of the job now, and because we have a system where we fine people for wanting to sleep on a dry surface (rent) and we are incapable of distributing anything to people who we don't feel is deserving of it, those people are going to starve and die of exposure. you do this with every single frivolous industrial sector and billions of people suddenly don't have the money to access food and shelter, since all our food and shelter is owned by someone, perversely. and they will not get it for free.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

bawfuls posted:

No argument in terms of the direct climate consequences on our lives, but in this wildly extreme hypothetical the social and political consequences on our lives would surely be changed.

An extreme, global effort involving every single person on earth completely reworking our economy, lifestyles, and personal values would be less likely to respond to the next 50 years of ecological collapse with war and genocide.

Not super relevant though because as you say, we're fatally wedded to capitalism anyway.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if over the next 50 years we see at least as many deaths from "indirect" consequences of ecological collapse (war and genocide) as we see from direct consequences (drought, famine, flood, wet-bulb events, hurricanes etc).

yeah, exactly. someone correct me if i'm being a doomer here, but even right now we seem to be seeing society break down in certain ways as a response to worsening material conditions. people are going to react super poorly to an increase in that. a worsening climate is going to cause a big pingback in infighting and a further erosion of social cohesiveness and some people are not going to make the connection.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

MightyBigMinus posted:

this is completely wrong.

this is a failure both to understand the science of ghg induced warming, and a failure to empathize with the global south that will feel the impact of our sucess or failure in REAL TIME. year by year. every year. the marginal tens of thousands of people that die or dont will be because of the marginal gigatons we emitted over the course of the previous ~3 - 5.

this is what being ignorant and overly catastrophizing is for. as an excuse to not just do nothing, but to loudly and ignorantly shout at people that might as a way to self-sooth. please stfu.

the curve for the impact of methane is measureable in months. the curve for the impact of co2 is that about 80% of its effect occurs in the first 2 -3 years, 90+% of it by the 5th year, and then it tapers out and takes 10 years to get to 100%. that does mean that we have a cascade of baked in warming always folllowing behind us, but its only about 5 years worth.

in any given year you can marginally increase or decrease the number of dead indians/africans in 5 years.

we wont, but its a social problem not a physics problem. dont ever pretend the science is whats loving us.

edit: a visual

i'm not sure exactly where you got the impression that i have no empathy for the global south since when i say "we" i do mean people in general. like, all of them. i'm cognizant of the fact that they will suffer first and more than people in westernized countries. i do think that people dying by the millions because of the consequences of the climate we have right now at this very loving second is sad and awful, even if we abate that in five years, which i don't feel confident that we will. that being said, the assumption that i was "shouting loudly and ignorantly" at anyone seems more like a projection on your part. i'm not clear on where i claimed that this was exclusively a science or physics problem.

i don't see how i'm being ignorant by assuming that despite the fact that the environment is rapidly eroding around us in a very noticeable way, that some people are still going to fight tooth and nail to maintain the status quo, particularly in the western world. like. yes. it's a social problem. a big one. the big one, really, that i do not see changing rapidly and intensely enough any time soon to make a huge difference since on an individual level, i personally do not have the power to change what massive corporations are doing nor does anyone around me. what does "do something" mean in this context?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

MightyBigMinus posted:

243 words to avoid acknowledging that 5 != 100

hey where'd you get that 100 btw? could it have been straight from your rear end in a top hat? i bet it waaaaass.

uh, okay

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

oh, sick, but not dead. that's fine

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

we're in... hot water

hot water but definitely rationed

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Microplastics posted:

I don't think that's why.

Most people don't even believe the world is ending, for one thing

my lack of understanding on what's appropriate small talk has led to me to understand a surprising amount of people are completely crack pinged but this is on a small sample of people i know personally who i trust enough to talk to so ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

4d3d3d posted:

Absolute joke

loving outstanding