Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Mayor Dave posted:

lmao which one of you bought this banner ad:

leading to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNjWOCdony4

It is Ragnarök, my dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Crusader posted:

mayor dave posted:

it really is easier to imagine the end of the world than an end to capitalism

I've had a couple little sartorial moments about music lately, and about its commodification. Not that it's extremely relevant but everything about music, the way we make it, appreciate it, it's all shaped by the vicissitudes of capital. We've already had the technological singularity but we're too dumb to realize it. Capital is a distributed mind, humans are its many, many hands. It will use us until it has better ones. Gibson was right, we couldn't create artificial intelligence, but it could and has come in spite of us.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

steinbeck figured it out earlier than that

likewise Barkskins is still a much more sober depiction of environmental destruction than any speculative fiction

Grapeses of Wrath? In Dubious Battle? Great books. But people think it's metaphor, a unique way of summing it up. I'm saying it's literal. There are distributed consciousnesses using individuals to their own ends.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hubbert posted:

hey guys

if you're going to call someone a Malthusian, you might as well know what you're talking about

let's take a peek at Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change together

:getin:

Thank you. Nearly every time I've heard Malthus mentioned in the spam it's been derogatory, typical kneejerk stuff.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Goddammit no no loving Malthusian chat it's page four of the thread omg please

Hey as they say, it's on the tin. But I don't see any need to delve into it RN. I'm just sick of hearing peeps go on about how there's no such thing as overpopulation and probably that the concept of overpopulation is racist in its origins, bla bla blah. Actually the bro in Nature Hates a Dome covered that pretty succinctly as far as I'm concerned.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Horizon Burning posted:

fox blocked this outside the US, i think lmao

Fox blockers

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hubbert posted:

I truly wonder what 2051 will look like.

Jetson flying cars for me, factory slavery for thee

That's pretty optimistic LOL

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

wolfs posted:

tunes to entertain Malthusian realities to o/~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgTmosuidH8

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

tiberion02 posted:

Reading the Climate Change thread over the past couple years, coming to the correct conclusion.

:farf:

The pile of rags at the end of the hall that we've been defecating into has always worked in the past and will always continue to.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I wouldn't say it was amazing, but this book has a couple sections that have always stuck with me and only gotten more relevant. Especially this stretch of a dude going through a forest fire on future quaaludes

https://imgur.com/a/zxwH2Ff

Might have to do a full read through of it again, it's probably been at least a decade since I did last

Yeah, I bought this by accident a long time ago, having gotten recs for "The End of Nature" and I got this instead. Turned out to be one of the most realistic futuristic sci fi books on the subject I've encountered. And of course if you want the other best one, look up "The Sheep Look Up" which has hit the nail on the head numerous times.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Bathtub Cheese posted:

my big takeaway was that the process of capitalist industrialization had so much path dependence built into it (and IMO after communism was successfully contained by the capitalist powers) this outcome was already locked in barring a miraculous level of foresight and universal solidarity

That is a pretty good assessment

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Captain Gordon posted:

You guys missed the point of the video. Humanity literally doomed itself and there is nothing we can do, so focus on personal happiness instead of doomerism. Nothing will save us save except for for a tiny chance of benevolent aliens showing or a sci-fi tech breakthrough.

Also, most us will hopefully be at the end of our natural lives by the time the worst of it happens.

I think the only point of the video is to face facts for once instead of buying into the MIC's lies. Just for its own sake. There is no happy ending and there's no personal happiness when you know that all your works and even your progeny will be snuffed out due to a world view that you take part in and benefit from.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CODChimera posted:

i mean it's definitely helped make me unproductive lol

Same. Not very encouraging to think you're stuck working a cash register at the end of the loving world.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think the far more terrifying thought is that it's not the end of the world. It's just the start of a much worse one. Until recently I believed that the inevitable nuclear war would put us out of our misery for good but it seems that nuclear winter isn't likely at all. I imagine people will still be clinging on for (possibly) hundreds more years in the irradiated deserts of the future. Who knows, maybe they find a sustainable niche in hell and humanity is doomed to survive for thousands or even hundreds of thousands more years.

That's pretty optimistic. But when I say "the end of the loving world" that would probably include humanity being reduced to a few bands of scavengers. And I wasn't even talking about nukes.

petit choux has issued a correction as of 14:57 on Sep 20, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Octavia Butler probably hit the nail on the head. Whoever's best at denying reality will get the keys to the kingdom, they'll make it illegal to speak ill of government or big industry in any way.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Buffer posted:

The thing that hit me recently is the realization that thermonuclear war is one of the softer landings for the species at this point - if it happens soon enough to effectively de-industrialize and end emissions anyway. Except lol, no, even that wouldn't be enough w/o some magical carbon capture tech after the exchange.

That's some dark poo poo.

Yeah, for everything there is a season. Unless for some reason there are no seasons.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Captain Gordon posted:

I really dont understand this point of view. There is plenty I still want to do for myself in this life, climate change or not. If I am lucky, most of the worst effects wont happen till after I am dead. There is also absolutely nothing I can do about any of this and I am not directly responsible for decades of bad neglectful climate policy, so I can sleep easy at night. I dont have kids and am not planning to have any, so that is someone elses problem to be honest. And if you are having kids fully knowing whats around the corner, lol, lmao - I guess your children will truly know what its like to be owned.

You can rattle your tiny cage all you want, but no one is listening and the world is already dead, so I am not sure what you are trying to achieve by being miserable about it. Go out and have some fun!

I'm sorry, I just ran out of antidepressants for a little while there, getting caught up.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Evil_Greven posted:

why go for something so exotic when the more familiar will do
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-97778-3

Is this the thing that killed Lot's wife? I was pretty blown away when I realized that story had a basis in historical fact.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Car Hater posted:

Critical mass imo, habitats are too fractured and monoculture is too pervasive to maintain breeding populations in the face of all the chemicals etc, and so we've hit the Seneca cliff for bugs.

I've been hearing this for the past couple years but I must have been living in one of the places this hasn't occurred yet, the general vicinity of the Great Dismal Swamp. I'm no longer there and don't drive around the countryside as much but when I lived in eastern NC my car was always a Jackson Pollock of bugs by the end of every long drive.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Lenin Stimpy posted:

isn't this blowing the actual science out of proportion?

For example, according to NOAA https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/ :

a 1 to 10% increase in intensity on average doesn't seem that much to me, seems like these libs are exaggerating here a wee bit if we're gonna call them hypercanes
Is that an annual average? Because that's a lot.

quote:

also:

if rainfall is expected to increase by 10-15%, doesn't that mean we'll have LESS droughts, not more? things just aren't adding up here
I doubt it means rainfall is expected to increase by that percentage everywhere uniformly. Deserts won't suddenly turn into farmland.

quote:

and finally:

they expect 25% less hurricanes in the 21st century

isn't it incredible how liberals love to pick and choose their scientific "facts"?

Oh well then never mind. I guess that wraps it up for environmental catastrophes.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And all these forest fires all over the planet are just the result of not properly raking the forests. :chaostrump:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

I can't decide which one of these is my favorite.

Wow, coal mining companies work the same way here!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Frankly the most amazing thing on that graph is the assertion that all marine life and fish will be dead before 2050. Our oceans will be barren, acidic graveyards. That's just an incredible premise. The potential for content is literally unbelievable, I'm not jokerfied enough to truly envision it. Can we drink acid water?

Yeah, I was ranting about this one a few years ago in this thread's predecessor before Trump got elected and my mind went. The dead spots will start growing and spreading in the oceans. It's going to smell bad too, BTW.

Mola Yam posted:

ocean dies, belches up 200 years of excess carbon it's been sucking down

oops! +10 degrees in a decade!

it is doing my head in that the world might literally end right around when i will likely be at the end of my life

am i actually the protagonist of reality? seems likely. wow. did i dream the unive rse omg

I know, right?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Technology exists right? Then there is a solution. Give money to technology and it's only a matter of time until we solve the problem of the global ocean's final withering after we have already killed it.

Sure our best shot now is barely identifying the problem right before it fucks us up after it's already decades too late but once everyone understands the severity of the problem there will be

Clearly the solution is war.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

things are gonna get all loosey-goosey, IYKWIM

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Occasion of much hugger-mugger

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The yellow line is the bacteria that causes the toxicity and its presence in the ocean

Basically plankton eating whales and whatnot are holding in check a type of toxin producing bacteria that would make the atmosphere unbreathable if it took over the oceans due to its predators dying off from ocean acidity

we may not get FIOS where we're going.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

bobmarleysghost posted:

90% of the ocean dying in 25 years is truly amazing

i wonder which 10% of marine life will be left

Anaerobes will figure a lot more heavily in the overall

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

honestly that GOES paper shows that if anything, this thread needs to get off its lazy rear end, and get some doomerism published in a predatory open access journal somewhere.

like thing of the feather in the cap of "the CSPAM climate thread is actually publishing science, what are you doing?"

i'll be corresponding and last author if someone else writes the paper. if we pick the right pay-to-play journal, they'll probably even let us publish under our forum usernames.

I'd like to assist by doing some graphs and charts. Bring it on.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Protagonist posted:

perhaps we can just dump lots of very basey liquids into the ocean to counteract the acidity, like several gigatons of oven cleaner??

Just bazillions of boxes of baking soda

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

kater posted:

I love all these scientists that presumably work their asses off to create poo poo that boils down to graphs used to teach econ 101. truly the more advanced science.

I will not only do this for our team but I will wear a lab coat too.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes gentlemen, they are on their way in, and nobody can bring them back. For the sake of our country, and our way of life, I suggest you get the rest of SAC in after them. Otherwise, we will be totally destroyed by Red retaliation. My boys will give you the best kind of start, 1400 megatons worth, and you sure as hell won't stop them now. So let's get going, there's no other choice. God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural... fluids. God bless you all.

LOL 1400 megatons

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

okay so we just need to grow things in the ocean that can survive acid. What can survive acid?

I was watching a docu about the black sea and how there's no oxygen below about 125 meters or whatever and how nothing decays on the sea floor, but there's life forms that survive on the edge of the oxygen cutoff zone like a plant thing that produces sulfuric acid to dissolve poo poo for nutrition. I was thinking to myself, now there's a good candidate.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

and anything less than complete transformation of society won't even get us close to preparing for what is coming.

So war, right?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Raine posted:

you know ive been giving the whole "if it's that bad aren't you morally obligated to do such and such" some thought and reached some of my own conclusions:

1. nah

2. it wouldn't matter if i did anyways (even jesus christ himself made the world worse)

3. the people asking this question deserve to live through this

The pic of Billy Butcher just adds a tiny extra umph to this

I'm just like martyr for what? For whom would I be martyring myself? Now watch me go martyring myself just because I jinxed it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Car Hater posted:

Lol fine, don't call it martyrdom. I'm just too impatient for this stupid poo poo anymore

My cinnabuns exactly, these little monkeys don't deserve martyrs.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cold on a Cob posted:

if you're a doomer and you do what you think needs to be done you're a piece of poo poo martyr criminal scumbag and if you do nothing you're an inactivist which is actually now worse than being a fossil fuel company executive. both of those points are being promoted by many climate activists and posters in this very forum.

Holy cow!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

tiberion02 posted:

someone already said the Fifth Element, but that movie seriously and completely owns and 100% holds up.

Watch it ASAP

Watch Milla in a 5mm bandeau tube top for no drat good reason? I'm on it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Wakko posted:

the most backward take. humanity stands at the cusp of realizing its grand destiny. tens of thousands of years of consumption have brought us here, and you whine? imagine a tuberculosis bacterium mewling like this as the host's lungs start to fill with fluid. generations have stood on the shoulders of one another, all working together to bring us here. its is only now, at the great dying, that we realize true meaning.

Plastics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Steely Dad posted:

Realizing that Doctor Strangelove Terminator was an inspiring story of humanity retproactively averting climate collapse