Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

TeenageArchipelago posted:

idk, at the end of the day, what anyone gains from blowing up a pipeline. Outside of environmentalists, ofc

I'm sure European's will just burn coal and huddle around barrels this winter. No one else to sell them gas. Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Trabisnikof posted:

I’m convinced some of the naysayers here are paid to spread misinformation on climate action. There are commenters on this sub that say we should literally give up and do nothing, despite the science telling us we can still limit warming to 1.5c if we cut global emissions 45% by 2030 and hit net zero mid century. The defeatism is absurd.

The defeatism isn't about feasibility. It's about politics and real power.

The purpose of a system is what it does and our system pumps out more CO2 and Methane YoY until constraints prevent us from doing so. The goals of every industrialized capitalist nation on earth are at odds with taking action on the climate.

It's a gun fight where everyone has their Petroleum Super Soaker out pointed at their economy. Everyone is in agreement that if we keep spraying our crops and transportation and shipping and construction industries with juice, we'll destroy everything. But also the country that manages to use the most, before we stop wins the game of musical chairs we are playing beforehand. So no one will ever stop.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Perry Mason Jar posted:

See this actually makes sense. You get it

If I'm gonna forego a car (13 years running) in this god forsaken country, I'm gonna eat a cheeseburger whenever I want. Driving, Flying, and AC is where 95% of our personal footprint comes from.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

MightyBigMinus posted:

wildly right-wing-misinformed poo poo.

the only people failing to grasp that are the ones that think "less bad" means "therefore no point".

People like you are cute. Same people who got haughty about plastic recycling in the 90's. Good job, you sorted the bin. They lied to you and shipped it all to southeast asia, which in turn put it in the ocean or lit it on fire. We paid for the gas to make all that happen, so we could pretend we were making a difference. EV's are the same. All the data is out there, the net fuel costs to get one to your doorstep and drive 100k miles is not very different. Economy cars 20 years ago had better net benefit than current EV's do.

It doesn't matter. We burn more poo poo every year, YoY, for every year we've been alive. None of our goals are meant to be acheived, and they fall woefully short of curtailing the mess we're actively making. EV's are just another placebo. A nice thought, but not saving the environment in the least unless you deal with the supply side of energy.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Osv18 posted:

co2 isn't the problem. thermodynamics are the problem.

The world system is a heat engine no matter how much you try to 'green' it.

There's a bunch of thinktanks full of econ majors right now trying to tease out how to hack entropy with a financial instrument. I'm sure they'll save us.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

bedpan posted:

lmao forever at coal releasing more radiation and producing more nuclear waste than nuclear

lmaoing until I die of cancer

I think a grand total of like 13 people died in 80 years of nuclear energy in this country. 1 in the last 30.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

I mean, it's kind of comforting knowing the fields are already sown. Anxiety was wondering how we were gonna fix it, what it was going to take for people to wake up and start working towards a livable future. Now we don't have to worry about all that. The free market is going to take care of everything.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Communism implemented 80 years ago would not have saved us. Every society has elites, even those with communist governments, and their environmental record is worse than the capitalist west.

Mao's idea of carbon capture would of involved sequestering landlords in the mariana's trench. Flawless record.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Dokapon Findom posted:

Given that we can't even burn basic fossil fuels without overheating ourselves to death it's doubtful we could safely manage nuclear power on the scale required to stave off climate change

Is the doubt that we'd scorpion the frog at the last minute or that capacity is too puzzling. we had it. the scale was not daunting before we abandoned ship and raised a generation where being a nuclear engineer involves sourcing parts for westinghouse or moving elsewhere.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Dokapon Findom posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about slow, systemic poisoning. It's all about instantaneous megadoses of grays and radioactive spider bites

A Deepwater Horizon here, and Exxon Valdez there, sprinkle some frack juice on the plains that we blew out of the mountain, unearth all the gases sequestered in our crust.

The only thing we got going for us is that my generation is unleaded.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

RIP Syndrome posted:

esports ruined cs just like it did everything else.

It's just capitalism. It's only ruining that perfect moment in time you remember. When the money flowed into existing infrastructure before the perverse effects took hold. There'll still be niche games that hit the mark, and private servers running old games that still play great.

But that first boom cycle is like your in your own action movie. The chosen people. Your world gets bigger overnight and it feels like everyone is going to the moon. All your buddies or the content creators in the space are gonna be stars. The master tools created by the artists get scaled up with some success.

But then growth stops at some point, and the capitalism has to cut it's losses.

Dev's, Live Service Support, Artists, Musicians are all albatrosses at some point. Fixed costs that can't be depended on for quarter over quarter revenue like advertising blitzes or having producers repack content into sellable DLC/Music/Skins. Shareholders want to buy back that cheap stock, and find a new unicorn to suck the blood out of and lift it's price back up.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

that's an interesting way of spelling quake arena

Playing quake arena on office lan every night from 5-6pm at the HVAC shop was some of the best gaming i ever did.

Best flight sim - XWing Vs Tie hosted matched on CALI or IPX in the mid 90's

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

RIP Syndrome posted:

Yeah, nothing to add really. I've lived this a couple of times now in different spaces, but the last time is getting to be a while ago.

e: omg I just remembered you could not just dual wield pistols in UT, but also fire them both straight and sideways

As a young capitalist i really didn't get punk music. I dated this girl in my early 20's who had spent her teens going to dropkick and rancid shows and couldn't parse it yet when she brought me to a few. I thought it was pretentious rambling, disconnected from my material reality where choices dictate our fates. Definitely missed the boat on Mai, but punk is the haven of anti capitalist history in the end of history.

Having now lived through many of my most beloved spaces get cored out gutted ruined and turned into things i despise, It speaks to me in a prophetic sage way. It's unrestrained noise and grating crescendo's fit the mood.

Don't sell out!

Sanlav has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Mar 29, 2024

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again
If you can't accept technology as Jesus, there's a certain kind of person who thinks you are hopelessly naive for worrying about anything. Smart people are working on the problem and you should go consume.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Lizzo is in pain right now. This is erasure.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again
Once we stop buying chinese in a full xenophobic panic, who better than our Oil Barons to take up the mantle of clean energy infrastructure!

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI06dqo1Alg

Dark Storm Go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

HazCat posted:

But if you become the kind of person who doesn't care about throwing your trash out of the window of your vehicle, you'll fit in better with the people who've completely burned out their ability to empathise with other living creatures in order to pursue infinite wealth, and those people have a shitton of MDMA and once they start experiencing chemical empathy they will just give that poo poo out to anyone like it's candy.

This is probably also why they leave their bikes behind - the comedown from MDMA is basically full-blown anhedonia, which means they can't imagine caring about their dumb bikes enough to pick them up out of the dirt onto the same vehicle that they came out on.

I was more of a heroic LSD consumer in my jamband days, and all my old college friends slowly succumbed to mdma. Every show they attended was the best ever. They couldn't even remember what got played, or socialize afterwards. Had to get to the hotey to reapply sunscreen. Once they got into burning man we parted ways, as an old hippie mdma ruined my scene. We went from floating to grinding. Last time I saw them was a vulfpeck show like 4 years ago and they were chompin so hard. I know know how good it feels to just obliterate yourself with dopamine but it's sad to watch. It's sad to hang with them for more than 6 hours and see what it becomes.