Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Really is wild how hosed we are. "Oh no climate change is killing my lawn, I better buy an oil derived lawn to replace it with," gently caress lmao.

I somewhat regularly look at the little towns in rural Japan that are just a few thousand houses packed together with everything really close together and wish that I could live somewhere like that. Minus the lack of job opportunities and poo poo like that. Just everything packed close enough together that you can bike everywhere easily despite rural living. Would own. Even a good bike friendly and affordable city would be 11/10, it's not like I go outside anyway

I live in a rural area in America, next door to a school. By sheer luck an actual little community has developed around the school. Got a few apartments for denser housing. A small grocery store with a small bank branch attached to it, with a postal pickup out front. A local restaurant and a daycare. All within walking distance. I always took it for granted until I became more politicaly conscious and started seeing how hosed things are in this country.

Also I saw black beans mentioned. I've got my black bean patties perfected and I don't care if I ever eat another hamburger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

moana posted:

Please this. I have a hard time getting them to not fall apart, what am I doing wrong

I pressure cook the black beans in the insta pot, then put them on parchment paper in the oven and dry them. Then take about 2/3 of the beans and blend with breadcrumbs and egg. (You can use cornstarch or flour instead of egg if you're vegan). Add water if you need to just a little at a time if needed to keep a thick paste if it's too crumbly to blend.
Separately, process some vegetables. Either chop very finely or blend. I use squash and onions.
Finally, combine your bean paste with the vegetables and the 1/3 beans you didn't blend. I also add mushroom powder. Then cook or grill.

I'm sure everyone here knows how to make bean burgers or can find a recipe. The main thrust of what I do is A. Dry the excess water from the cooked beans before processing, and B. Don't blend all the beans. Keep back 1/3 to mix into your paste. The end result is a thicker consistency that has some crunch to it

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Karach posted:

drying the beans in the oven is a good idea. you're right, it's getting moisture out of the burgs that's the hardest part. gonna try this with flax eggs.

are you drying your squash as well? I would think that would add a ton of moisture back into the burger otherwise.

I'm not yet, but that is something to try.

Almost forgot. After combining all the ingredients, chill it in the fridge before making it into patties. Seems to help it firm up and hold better while cooking.

Fell Mood has issued a correction as of 21:37 on Jul 11, 2022

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Xaris posted:

why the hell is ireland like 15c cooler than the uk when they're right next to each other

The English are finally being smited while the Irish have suffered enough.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Has anyone figured out which plant or building materials in Britain spontaneously combust at 40C because this is getting ridiculous.
Like if they were already fighting fires earlier then yeah, these record temps would make it worse, but it's like a switch was flipped.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
What do Chinese think tanks and intellectuals have to say about the West shooting itself in the dick? What exactly to they think our problem is? Are they drawing any lessons from it?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

nakieon posted:

it's like a 16" pizza being nearly as large as 2 12" pizzas but based on topography of lake mead

it does seem pretty excessive though. maybe it gets super narrow near the bottom?

Here is a link to the national park site about the lake. Further down is a chart comparing various water elevations to how much volume is left in the lake, along with a topographic map.
https://www.nps.gov/lake/learn/nature/storage-capacity-of-lake-mead.htm

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Hexigrammus posted:

The family next door smuggled some back to the Island after a trip to Disneyland in the 1990s. A couple of them survived and one is now a respectable house-shading sized tree. We're thinking about propagating it because they are more drought resistant than our dying cedars.

Not sure about that flammability thing though. Oh well, gently caress it, I want some evergreens back in these woods.

Am I going to do this? Sure, why the gently caress not?:

Apparently they are one of the fastest growing conifers. Yeah you'll be long dead before its a proper adult, but it'll get as big as a "regular " tree pretty fast.

Fast for a tree of I mean.

Fell Mood has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Jul 24, 2022

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

it would damage real estate prices for sure, but i strongly suspect commercial real estate would get bailed out

everyone else can eat poo poo though

Congress passes a 10,000,000,000,000 bailout package to bail out real estate developers and Insurance companies along the east coast after a sudden 3ft sea level rise. A week later every news outlet in the country has articles about how workers demanding better wages is driving record inflation.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Zodium posted:

you don't have to channel the feelings you have reading about it into a sciencey form.

That's not what is happening when lay people use words such as "likely " or "probably ". I assume English isn't your first language, or you are around technical jargon most of the time at your job and not often exposed to colloquial conversations?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
There are no skills that will let you survive a complete collapse, ie the water and electricity are turned off and industrial farming stops. There are 4 reasons for this.

Assume the fossil fuel stops flowing.

1. Learning how to farm like it's 1800 requires a lot more than just "having skills" It's a knowledge base that very very few people still keep up with, and you have to get it right quickly before you starve. This isn't like growing a garden.

2. None of the infrastructure is there. The tools for farming by human or animal power no longer exist in quantity. The electricity to power the machines to make them won't exist. Where are the tens of thousands of horses and donkeys and oxen we would need? What about the seeds? Hell can you even get from the city to a field on the outskirts without a car? With no horse to ride?

Even a simple way of life requires pre-existing infrastructure that has built on itself over centuries.
If you were an expert on farming and time traveled to 1820 and was given a free piece of land, there is a great deal already made available by society. Plows and horses would exist in high numbers and could be bought on credit. Today we would be starting from scratch. It would be like the Jamestown settlers starving before the native Americans saved them.

3. The environment is degraded. Even if your community could transition back into a low tech agrarian society before you all starved to death, crop failure would be common.

4. The environment is degraded. 300 years ago you could simply walk thru a forest in north America and pick up enough chestnuts, blue berries, muskadines, ect ect to survive. There would be deer and rabbits and Buffalo everywhere. Now when your crops fail you won't be feeding the community by hunting. That or you'll give everyone a prion disease.

There is no rebuilding from this. It is different from every other collapse that a society has suffered in history because there is no where to go. We cannot revert to a less organized society because we are destroying nature itself. Let's assume a worst case scenario. Humanity is set back 50,000 years to being isolated tribes of 50 to 60 people that either hunt or try to farm.

There are places that have seen continuous human habitation for millenia that will be too hot for that. We've collapsed the fish stocks. We've killed the large mammal populations. Even after human society is gone they may not recover due to the chemical pollution affecting fertility for centuries.

Let's talk Canada and Siberia. We'll just all move north where it's cooler, right? To a place that has never been farmed and has no topsoil. To the massive bogs of thawed permafrost where a human being can't walk, nevermind trying to get a donkey or tractor into the field. Where the natives have lost thier way of life because the seal, whale, crab, fish, populations are depleted.

Let's talk the Chernobyl exclusion zone. Nature recovered in 20 years right? It's called shifting baselines. That's what you think nature is like because you're never seen nature. How much animal biomass does the zone have? How many humans could that sustain if you didn't overhunt? How does seeing a few deer in the exclusion zone compare to native American stories about a herd of Buffalo millions strong where you just had to sit on the trail for 3 days and wait for the mass of animals to pass before you could continue? Spanish explorers wrote in thier logs about schools of sea turtles so thick it felt like the ship was running aground as they plowed thru.

We will not transition to a carbon neutral high tech society. We are in a capitalism fitness trap and it's almost too late.

We will not transition to a low tech agrarian society. We conceivably could with proper preparation and reorganizing of society, but we won't. And it may not be possible to rebuild into a low tech agrarian society after a sudden collapse. (Because we are altering the environment such that sufficient crops won't grow. )

We will flail about as we desperately try to keep things going. Canada and Northern Russia will be devastated as enormous effort is expended to make it suitable for large scale habitation. Thawed permafrost bogs will be drained and scraped away to try to find something solid to build on. Massive amounts of NatGas will be used to try to make enough fertilizer for what little dirt there is. The trees will be cut down for housing and the 10,000 lakes polluted. All while the mid latitudes experience giga death from heatwaves and crop failure.

We are hosed. And when the power is turned off and food and fuel stop being shipped to your little corner of the world, all your skills and resilient community's and whatnot just means you'll survive longer as you scavenge the corpse of society. I'm not saying that isn't worthwhile, I'm developing my own skills as well. But this isn't going to be Russia in the 90s or like a civil war in some war torn country. We are destroying the basic inputs human civilization must have to function.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
I grow grapes along the fence line for anybody to take and eat. I let milkweed grow 8ft tall so the butterflies have something to eat. I cut the yard once a year in late fall. In spring and summer the bees have the flowers.

Today I caught some neighbor "helping " by cutting down the "brush" on the edge of the property. (I.e. 15 year old grape vines that people pick as they walk by.) I certainly don't want to have a doomer mindset, but I am..... concerned about the average persons relationship with nature and how that affects our society.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
All these stories about rivers going dry and exposing ancient rock carvings or Buddhist statues all have the underlying implication that the river has been this low before, so don't worry TOO hard folks. The news never explains that river's used to change course quite often before we started dredging channels, or that we moved the river ourselves when we dammed a lake.

I guess the hunger stones in Europe are an exception but I'm not sure.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
I feel I should clarify since things don't come thru with text. When a friend reads me a story about Buddhist statues being exposed in rivers in China, and says "huh, I guess they had a bad drought then too" I just want to shake them. The river wasn't there 3000 years ago or whenever that statue was built, and was only covered with water because rivers move or because they dammed a lake sometime in the 20th century.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
In the spirit of climate change, appoint someone who will talk a lot and do nothing. The IK must never make a decision that would help the thread. In fact the entrenched power structure (the mods) must remove the IK if they ever actually do something.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
I will PayPal 20 bux to the mod/admin that makes me IK. As far as I know there is no rule against this. My only actions will be to probate slurs, death threats, and any arf style spam that goes on for more than 8 posts on any single page.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Now this is truly democracy in action.

$30

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

kyojin posted:

How about Biosphere of Death

The goal of all life is death.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

sounds like someone doesn't love America

I think.....
I think I may be starting to hate it actually.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Irony.or.Death posted:

i'm sorry i fell behind on the thread so this post is late but i just wanted to let you know i agree, there's like an 80%+ chance that any conclusions you try to draw doing that will be off base
How current is your research?
My model has it pegged at a 74% chance.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Stereotype posted:

i didn't mean i own it i just am in charge of stewarding it

Already showing weakness. Never apologize.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

skooma512 posted:

I never plat anything but DS was easy enough to plat after 120 hours

A bunker is a pit in the ground you built walls in and covered up. Water seeks the lowest point and can seep through solid concrete given time. Sump pumps don't last forever and are subject to climate change, they are also a utility and not luxury item so lmao if you think the hedgie cares enough to think about spares because he can't show them off.

The point is they're going to be stuck in these things after being used to jetting off to random vacations on 24 hours notice if need be, and after a decade they're just going be mold infested tombs and they'll probably murder suicide their families and staff from cabin fever, mold madness, and being cut off from new treats and trafficked underage models.

I'd like to see an experiment where a group of people try to live for a year or two in one of those bunkers. As you say a few corners may have been cut. Congrats to whatever contractor is scamming rich fools tho.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Paradoxish posted:

Compare the coverage to something like the Russian invasion of Ukraine and I think you'll understand people's expectations better. I think a lot of people are accustomed to the idea that anything that doesn't receive 24/7 news coverage isn't a big deal.

You got me wondering how it compares to a war. I think Pakistan has been crippled worse than if they'd lost a major (non nuclear) war. It really should be bigger news.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Tungsten posted:

guy who's in such lovely shape he doesn't realize that living on frozen pizza also feels bad in the short term

I've been told to dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed, but I can't dehumanize any further. I'm already like a feral animal. As God as my witness, in the deepest nights of my despair, I've eaten frozen pizzas without cooking them. The oven was just too much mental effort.

Don't worry I'm better now. Just in time for the world to end.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Yes. All that infrastructure will take time to build. That's why the US is in talks to build it. Why would Europe build it if they can get cheap gas from Russia? Well, what if they couldn't?

Yes. If I was entertaining that conspiracy I'd say the US did it as a long term goal. What's important isn't that the pipe is blown up right now, but rather it shows that we can do it at will at any point in the future. So stop looking to Russia and get that infrastructure built for American LNG.

It really does neatly resolve the situation. Europe was getting hosed this winter anyway. Now the can't go crawling back to Russia and Russia has lost its leverage. It's a stupid miscalculation as I'm sure Lng infrastructure and American production won't be spun up fast enough to keep Europe from collapsing.

Like your vassels were beholden to another empire for a critical resource. It's an obvious move.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Hm

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

this allusion meant posted:

covid could theoretically evolve to severely harm any mammalian species that reaches a critical density. not-life finds a way

Friend, I have good news about the future and high densities of mammal populations.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought we still had just a tremendous amount of coal, and that other factors besides scarcity were responsible for it being unprofitable.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

humanity converts huge swaths of land into tracts that are uninhabitable for most life on the planet other than humans and then acts suprised when that other life dies off. Fascinating

I live in kind of a rural area. If you go out driving there's greenery as far as the eye can see in every direction. I remember the first time it clicked that these vast tracts of corn fields and cow pastures aren't nature, and in fact are remarkably sterile built environments.

Hell I nearly forgot about the vast tracts of timber company land with monoculture pines. Even the "woods" nearby are part of the human made environment.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Laterite posted:

general rule of thumb is that 1 cubic yard of topsoil is ~1.5 tons. i bet someone like bar ran dun could extrapolate out the capacity and fuel costs of shipping enough material to cover greenland or northern canada
This is a very rough estimate.
Ok, 1 square mile = 640 acres. That's a medium sized field, of which there are hundreds of thousands in America.

640 acres = 3,097,600 square yards. Assuming we want our dirt 3ft deep that gives us that many cubic yards, which weighs about 4,646,400 tones.

A large dump truck can carry about 16cu yards. A gondola rail car can carry about 92 cubic yards.

So, either 193,600 truck loads, or 336 trains. (Assuming 100 car trains).

Now we need a distance. From some random spot in the Midwest to a fair ways over the Canadian border, let's use 1000 miles.

Those dump trucks get 8 to 10 mpg. Let's use 10. 193,600 trucks driving 1000 miles one way equals 19,360,000 gallons, or 352,000 barrels. They will do a little better on the return trip, lets say 300,000 barrels. I don't know how to estimate the fuel use of the excavators and tractors that will be digging up the soil and spreading it in Canada, but it shouldn't be more than the fuel to transport it. Let's say it's roughly a third for 148,000.

That gives us 800,000 barrels of fuel to dig up a square mile (640 acres) and transport it 1000 miles north and then spread it out with tractors.

The us has about 900,000,000 acres under cultivation. We all agree that a lot of that is wasted with cattle grazing. If you take just corn, soy, and wheat together we have about 240 million acres. So we will be digging up our square mile 375,000 times.

We are combining gas and diesel together here, as a mix of both will be used. My numbers will be a little off as you don't get equal amounts from a barrel of oil, but they shouldn't be way off. We need 300 billion barrels, or about 16 trillion gallons of fuel. Assuming the US uses about 8 million barrels per day of gas and 4mpd of diesel, that comes to about 25,000 days, or about 67 years of US fuel consumption to dig up the Midwest and haul it to Canada, which is less than I expected. There are about 2 million semis in use in the US currently.

Obviously there is a lot left out here. Besides my fuel numbers being off by a few billion barrels in either direction, 200k trucks and tens of thousands of excavators and tractors need to be built. Roads, fuel stations, and other infrastructure needs to be built. Irrigation and water lines need to be built. We need to double our refinery capacity. A fair amount of dirtwork needs to be done in Canada to keep our new topsoil from just washing away. The best I can say is that for about 100 years worth of gdp and fuel consumption, the US may be able to pick up its staple crop acreage and haul it to central Canada.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

MightyBigMinus posted:

jesus christ you guys really are trying to commoditize it

none of the logistics around shipping weights matter at all. soil biology is destroyed simply by tilling in place. if you scraped it up and put it some container and kept it there for days you would all but sterilize it. by the time you ship fertile soil literally anywhere, even down the street, it is no longer fertile soil, thus utterly defeating the purpose long before your spreadhseet poo poo comes in to play.

Yes, people were really trying to figure it out. It wasn't tounge in cheek.

You tool. You absolute fool.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Since suicide is illegal so is ignoring climate change.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
I always assumed that when oil becomes too scarce we'll start making diesel from coal again. This train ain't stopping.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Unfortunately most of us are probably too old to live to see the Mad Max times. We'll die while we're still in the "Russia in the 90s" phase.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
I'm thinking that monthly phlebotomy treatments at a detox center could be the next big grift. Get all that plastic out of the blood. It's perfect because you'll need to do it for the rest of your life to keep the plastic concentrations in your tissues down. I assume all that blood can just be dumped in the ocean.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

God Hole posted:

Suddenly the uptick in rear end cancers among younger generations is making a lot of sense

I know so many people 40 or under who've had colon cancer. WTF is happening.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Besides detox blood letting to reduce the microplastics in your blood, I feel like we should also get into the business of green sex toys. Need a natural material that isn't porous and has a little give to it.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Like glass is obvious but who likes a ridged dildo?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

mystes posted:

I think if it's a choice between microplastics or a glass object breaking in your butt it might be better to just stick with the microplastics

In all seriousness they do make glass toys. There's a way to make glass more or less unbreakable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

only about 10% of all colon cancers are diagnosed in people age 40 or younger, maybe your area is extra pollute :D

Yes I live in America.