Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I wish I had some specific examples to show what I'm talking about, but has anyone noticed lib media starting to grab onto the idea that controlling methane emissions might be a loophole out of this? I've overheard a few bits and pieces of stories lately where the general gist is that methane is bad and impacts the climate more quickly, so all we have to do is limit methane output and that could free up enough of our carbon budget to dump decades more of CO2 into the air before we have to do anything!

I'm kinda wondering if this is why world leaders suddenly have a fixation on CH4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

mcbexx posted:

I wonder when the first of the world powers will figure out that the climate collapse might be averted if they are the first to bomb the remaining 3/4 of the world back into the stone age.

Bing bong bing, carbon emissions down, so simple.

For years and generations, wars have been fought over oil. In a short matter of time, they will be fought over getting to be the last person allowed to burn the oil.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Captain Gordon posted:

Also, most us will hopefully be at the end of our natural lives by the time the worst of it happens.

We're going to get to live through the lovely and miserable decline while missing out on the catharsis of total collapse, or being too old to care. Worst of all worlds imo

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

*drills all the oil*

I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't care

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

It seems my actions may destroy the planet, but you must understand that global-scale destruction is not within the scope of my operating mandate

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Just honestly amazing that someone is willing to put in so much effort for the vague hope of being technically correct while completely missing and failing to address the core point they're trying to refute.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Hubbert posted:

congratulations

welcome to what societal collapse looks like

nah, I don't buy that for a second

If anything, the last year and a half has proven that America's social systems are amazingly resilient. It's not a societal collapse just because the poor and vulnerable are getting wrecked in ever-increasing numbers. That's literally just the status quo.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

Two weeks ago a paper with the title

"Young People's Voices on Climate Anxiety, Government Betrayal and Moral Injury: A Global Phenomenon"

came out, so yeah should be plenty of articles about it.

The message is going to be "why be sad when you can be happy, don't worry so much :)" before it shifts fully into WHINING MAKES YOU A BAD WORKER mode

Just like we got almost a year of articles about how much employees love their commutes and offices before it was clear the consent manufacturing machine had failed and the messaging just went full-bore GET THE gently caress BACK TO WORK

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Are we at the "it's too late to do anything to stop it stage" or is there still hope?

It's always been too late because all the real solutions are politically untenable. Try to think the most milquetoast (but still at least moderately effective) measures you can imagine, and then realize that we need those done in like five years, but preferably yesterday. Nobody in a position to do anything is even talking about solutions even though those solutions need to be well underway.

Climate change is a lesson in what happens when you always assume that reality bends towards optimistic outcomes, except we're all going to be too dead to learn anything from it. Not that we would have anyway, so lol.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

we need to fight new wars to secure resources that are running out thanks to burning the resources we secured in our old wars

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

bowser posted:

https://youtu.be/ZyhrYis509A

Life in plastic - It's fantastic!

https://twitter.com/cleanairmoms/status/1440980878012911616?s=21

https://twitter.com/ajenglish/status/1437630955456454659?s=21

I realize these pledges are largely useless but it sounds like they're trying to at least delay the hot house earth scenario a bit... or in other words maintain the status quo for regular old CO2 for longer.

Yeah, there's definitely a messaging shift to "maybe we can cut methane emissions and pretend we're doing something, will that get people to shut up for a while?"

The problem is that a 30% reduction in methane over 10 years is pretty lol and absolutely not the kind of mitigation that would be required to even pretend that we can continue emitting CO2 for a little while longer.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Egg Moron posted:

lol get wrecked vacation homeowners

or not

nothing is ever going to change until all that poo poo is wiped off the map by the angry seas

so still lol

Nah. Waterfront real estate is definitely going to eat it. It's already over if we're at the stage where we're seriously talking about the true costs of insuring these homes, even if there's going to be a ton of effort thrown into blocking significant flood insurance cost increases. These delays are basically a signal to big money that there's an expiration date on these properties.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

bagual posted:

so now brazil is so dry we're having sandstorms, and firenados

https://twitter.com/jnascim/status/1442264362882936833

just another normal day on post-apocalyptic earth

looks fine to me

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

I probably just picturing the smallest cars today, like the latest Mirage, and the huge land yachts before the gas crisis

Those land yachts aren't quite as big as you think, and a lot of them would seem kind of puny compared to modern SUVs and crossovers.

Part of the problem is also model upsizing. Manufacturers are inserting more cars at the lower end and pushing mainstream models up in size, even though they're technically in the same class. That Mirage is a subcompact, but it's only about 5" shorter than a 90s Civic, while being taller and just as wide. Meanwhile, the Civic has grown by almost 2 feet in the last 30 years.

Weight is the really fun one. My grandparents had an 80s Impala, and that car was like the quintessential American piece of poo poo land yacht. It was about as long as a modern Tahoe, and it weighed less than my "compact" 3-series.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Rime posted:

‘Green growth’ doesn’t exist – less of everything is the only way to avert catastrophe

The messaging is finally catching on, going wide, and I suspect the coming state change will be swift and catch a lot of the BAU deniers with their asses hanging out unprepared.

My one tiny ray of hope comes from the fact that the messaging has been advancing rapidly over the last 2-3 years. It's probably too late anyway and we're all hosed, but it's like a switch flipped and suddenly the evidence of total catastrophe became too overwhelming for the optimists to keep pace.

The specific thing I'm noticing more and more is that the "actually, everything will be fine!" articles are becoming a lot more reactive. The optimistic headlines used to be the default, and then there'd be an occasional op-ed counterpoint proclaiming doom. Now the headlines are getting doomier and doomier and, outside of financial news anyway, a lot of the optimism is limited to response articles going "wait wait wait no"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Popoto posted:

I don’t know how some people lived through 1980 to 2000 and 2000 to 2020, and still think both these gaps represent ever growing tech progress. The last twenty years feels like such stagnation. Maybe it’s just my anecdotal observation, I Dunno.

It's because we're letting companies define innovation for us. Computers and the internet (at least in concept) were legitimately huge innovations, but tiny computers that give you access to the internet all the time are basically just vehicles for more ads and consumption.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

The rich mostly aren't preparing for total supply chain breakdowns and they probably couldn't anyway. Elonsium might become a thing, but it's not going to happen in secret and it'd be way obvious for a long time that oh the rich are building giant apocalyptic dome cities.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

mediaphage posted:

again just because the paradigm by which you interact with consumer facing technology is similar doesn’t mean that technology has been stagnant. perhaps most relevant to us today is that an mrna vaccine would not have been feasible in 2001 (for reference 2001 had a nature article talking about sequencing about 96% of a single human genome over a year and a half).

i mean this alone is hilariously wrong. streaming video, the camera on your phone, new touchscreens, video calling (skype didn’t even offer video until 2005). gently caress the iphone didn’t even come out until 2007.

but no! we had phones then we have phones now. nothings different technology is over bing bong so boring

Yes, technology is better, but society isn't changing to keep pace in radical ways. Being able to rapidly develop MRNA vaccines isn't something that's going to revolutionize our ability to fight infectious diseases because it's clear they'll never reach sufficient levels of widespread adoption. Phones are mostly content consumption and advertising devices.

Arguably the most revolutionary thing to happen in the last 20 years is that everyone has a camera on them at all times. That's something that might legitimately result in real societal changes, but I was more optimistic about that possibility a few years ago than I am now.

Stagnation probably isn't the right word, but the pace at which technology is actually changing the world seems to be slowing and meeting significantly more resistance relative to 30-40 years ago.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Well, kids, there's overwhelming evidence that we're destroying life as we understand it on this planet. There's a reasonable chance that everything you're doing in your life now is meaningless, because the world, if it survives at all, will be a drastically different place very soon. The good news is that there are reasonable options to address these problems, they've always been available, and they're likely to result in a better world for everyone.

What? Oh, no, we're not taking those options. Heavens, no. We're going to innovate our way to safety. Wait, why are you crying? drat your liberal educational institutions for instilling this mindset of fear!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Stevie Lee posted:

here's an app you brokebrained doomers can use to fight climate change (which isn't even bad yet)
https://twitter.com/WIRED/status/1445766771944820750

hahahaha oh my god we're so loving dead

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

in the other thread someone asked why us doomers post if we don't have solutions and can't discuss the solutions that might really help (which i think won't help anyway vOv)

well i guess one reason is post here to vent because i don't want to blow up my life and be alone

Same, kind of, but I always find it funny when the doom comes from the opposite direction.

Lately I've been getting texts from my partner while she's at work that are just links to pretty much the same articles and tweets that pop up in this thread, generally with no comment other than "we're hosed" or "lol." I'm thinking the doomerism is airborne at this point.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

CODChimera posted:

I don't really care about the solutions because it's pretty obvious by now that while we can see the iceberg, our plan is to go full steam ahead

Yeah, there are all kinds of "solutions" to talk about but they're never going to happen and that's been apparent for as long as anyone posting in this thread has been alive.

The poo poo libs do is way weirder anyway. Just wasting pages of text on "ideas" that will never happen and wouldn't help even if they could magic wand them into existence.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Koirhor posted:

looks like its gonna be low to mid 80s for the entire next week still here in Ohio, the trees and plants look really confused, I’m sure its fine

Fall foliage in the Northeast has actually been one of the biggest "something is really wrong" indicators for me. My family used to take little foliage day trips every single year from when I was a baby up until sometime early in high school, so pretty much mid-80s until late-ish 90s. We've got tons of photos and every year you could pretty reliably hit a two-week window when poo poo was crazy colorful. Like just amazing if you hit it right, and the peak foliage period was always wide enough that it wasn't really a "blink and you miss it" kind of thing.

Now? Now it's just hosed, and the last five years have really been something totally outside of my experience in this area. The trees in my lawn drop their leaves before they turn, or they go straight from green to muted yellow/brown and then fall. It's also a lot more inconsistent, with a lot of trees clearly peaking and dropping their leaves while others are still solid green. I had to take a relatively long drive into upstate NY this weekend and while it's certainly still pretty, it's nothing like it should be in mid-October.

Trees need changes in light and relatively low temperatures to trigger the breakdown in chlorophyll, and the process can get easily disrupted by intense rains or too little water. They also need temperatures above freezing. People keep acting like "oh, the foliage season is just later now," but it's not. The process produces objectively less vibrant colors when it's disrupted (especially by dry weather or inconsistent rainfall), and trees peaking around the same time is what produces a week or so of insanely gorgeous landscapes. Beautiful fall landscapes aren't just getting pushed back, they're vanishing like so many other things, and way faster than anyone is willing to admit.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Also lol gently caress, suddenly realizing the destruction of fall peak color season is up there with "Hey remember how you used to have to scrape bugs off your windshield?"

Yep. At least around here, this has actually been a slow, ongoing process for a while now, although this year is really noticeably bad. I know a lot of the bigger maple sugar shacks up in MA, NH, and VT rely on fall visitors and they've been posting messages for a few years letting people know that they should expect peak color season a few weeks later.

The problem is that peak color is all about timing and it can't just keep getting shoved back towards November forever. Trees "expect" the temperature change to come with the change in light levels and freezes will usually cause them to just drop, so the whole thing is a bust without a consistent cool period between summer and winter.

climate change killing the best season is really rather unsettling imo

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

mediaphage posted:

you don’t really need to get it off planet, that’s a weird claim. capturing it is the hard part. storing it really isn’t, not in comparison. if we had low-cost, carbon-free, functionally limitless energy we could remove it and store it on earth just fine.

but, like. lol.

Energy is only part of the problem, although it's always the one that people focus on when they want to take a beep boop logical approach. Our current cultural and political systems basically don't allow for productive work without the promise of growth or profit in some form. Free energy would never be allowed to be free (in an economic sense), and its usage would still be governed by nebulous market forces. You'd have the exact same problem where industrial-scale capture and storage wouldn't have an economic justification so we'd never do it, even if our costs were essentially limited to equipment and labor.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Stereotype posted:

my good friend is a marine biologist specializing in coral and her lab is effectively building a coral ark, since they are convinced that the oceans are going to soon be completely inhospitable to all corals and so they’re trying to freeze them so that they can unfreeze them at some arbitrary point in the future and we don’t just lose all the coral to extinction. seems like a worthwhile graduate school result.

One of my college friends went into marine biology and she's the most crack pinged person I've ever met. Nobody in this thread, probably not even Rime, comes even close to the level of doom that I get from her. It's insane.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

my basement keeps flooding and it's going to flood more thx climate change

hey if that's all that happens you're pretty lucky tbh

so many people are going to discover their houses are unlivable and their insurance company's response will just be "lol"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I mean this is all entirely correct. The only error is the implication that it's the consumers making the actual consumption choices.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

It's better that the guy frames is like other people are at fault,
because it makes people go, "no gently caress you. This is your fault. I loving hate sitting traffic."

Yeah but it's also kind of a useful misdirection that gives politicians an easy scapegoat and lets them avoid actually doing anything

Nobody needed to get mad at fossil fuel dudes. Everybody needed to get mad at politicians so they could set policies to make the fossil fuel companies irrelevant, but lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

"  U.S. supermarkets lose an average of 25 percent of their fluorinated refrigerants each year."

What the everloving gently caress. Killing the environment when it would be cheaper not to.

Cheaper over the long run. Not cheaper to fix the problem right now, because that costs you money, and it'll take some amount of time to get that money back.

Investing in the future is for losers.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Decades posted:

I was arguing with someone the other day who swore 121F in Canada is not that bad yet because he remembers it reaching 120 when he was growing up in Alaska.

Alaska's all time high is 100F.

This poo poo happens all the loving time. I swear I've had to tell people "no, this temperature is actually a record by a pretty wide margin" or "no, we only hit this temperature like once every few years and never for several days at a time" multiple times over the last two years. And then I always get some variation of "well, I don't know" after and it's like what's even the point, you all are going to watch the sun light trees on fire in November and decide it's always been that way.

I can't even tell how much is normalization and how much is cope.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

actionjackson posted:

my neighbor (he's prob like 50) is moving to florida

like yeah it's cold where I am but why do people keep moving there

my experience with old people in the northeast is that they loving despise cold and snow, but then have about a 50/50 chance of hating florida even more

a family friend moved there, couldn't afford to move back, and spent the last decade or so of his life lying to his friends about how great it was to try to lure them into the pit with him

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Wtf who told you that? Nowhere in the USA is good to be for climate change. Move to a country with a low and relatively unarmed population. Could you imagine being stuck on a continent full of Americans when the world is falling part? Terrifying.

No place in the world is going to be safe from a collapsing and flailing US. Better really hope the US government holds it together to some degree or things get wild.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Tabletops posted:

short of a climate dictator it’s not wrong. you’d need people to do it without feeling it or they won’t. though it doesn’t matter cause we’re 40 years too late anyway

I mean, the assumption that these magical technologies actually exist and we just need more Tony Starks is actually pretty wrong.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Like the funny thing about the technophile approach to climate change is that it's actually based on completely faulty assumptions with no basis in historical fact.

There's this weird and completely incorrect idea that we have, as a species, consistently developed technological solutions to problems. We haven't. We've developed various technologies that may or may not have filled some specific need and then built our civilization around them. There generally aren't a lot of examples of humanity facing some pressing and immediate problem and coming up with a solution on the spot, especially when we don't already have an existing framework to use.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Booourns posted:

I think the whole situation where we were given a literal miracle vaccine for covid from tech and still hosed it all up proves we absolutely will not tech our way out of climate change

Yeah, and it's a perfect analogy for the situation, too.

The vaccines weren't really a "miracle" like we wanted them to be. They didn't remove the need for NPIs, they just gave us a legitimate shot of solving the problem if we were also willing to do the hard stuff. We weren't, so we're hosed. There are costly "solutions" to climate change that can help us mitigate its effects and reduce future harm, but we have to actually cut consumption and growth alongside them. We won't, so we're hosed.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Rime posted:

Pumps survived, now 100-500 RV's are on fire.

https://twitter.com/AndreaWoo/status/1461017982188986371

This RV dealership appears to be both underwater and on fire.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

actionjackson posted:

my neighbor is moving to Fort Lauderdale lmfao

yeah I get it's cold here (MN), but what the gently caress is his plan haha

gen X is pretty much as brainwormed as the boomers tho

the plan for these people is universally some variation of waaaah I can't stand being outside in the cold for ten minutes, let me move somewhere that I'll need to run my AC 24/7/365 until the day my house is finally underwater

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I mean did it rain or is this just a Thursday night in Miami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Rime posted:

I think I've discovered the problem here: that deep underground garage + associated foundation is like 20 feet from the ocean.

This is super complicated so I understand why the engineers missed it.

But the luxury condo complex that will inevitably flood and maybe even collapse wouldn't be worth as much money if we built it somewhere that doesn't flood all the time