Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Communist Thoughts posted:

start bombing factories

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

RIP Syndrome posted:

Hey Bernie, we fixed it

😞

err
Apr 11, 2005

Please don't disturb my hedonic pleasure sesh or else I won't be able to put 30 different flavors of ice cream in my industrial freezers.

err
Apr 11, 2005

err
Apr 11, 2005

Captain Gordon posted:

Also, most us will hopefully be at the end of our natural lives by the time the worst of it happens.

err
Apr 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/D1C0MM/status/1440005641855123457?s=19

err
Apr 11, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

Even the trees were a bad idea, we never should have left the seas

Send me back to the hydrothermal vents

err
Apr 11, 2005

Look at the depth.

https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1440455961127251979?s=19

err
Apr 11, 2005

Alobar posted:

i think that chapo trap house is super loving lame, honestly, and the only person i know irl who has ever mentioned them is obnoxious and arrogant as gently caress

Matt is good and the most well read on climate change. Check out Cushvlogs, he has been talking about it recently in them.

err
Apr 11, 2005

No sacrifice is ever discussed.

It's simply 'technology will save us and I will be able to maintain my stupid wasteful lifestyle.'

gently caress it, everyone will experience forced sacrifice instead.

err
Apr 11, 2005

That's some serious cope.

The amount of likes too. LMAO

err
Apr 11, 2005

Personally I'm holding out for the app that connects and gives directions to users to their local oil pipeline and coal train railroad.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Rime posted:

If "go join other climate activists in your city/area/region, plug into the climate activist community and join with them" isn't satisfying then I don't know what else to offer. Activists are working in every space imaginable from direct action blocking O&G development projects to lobbying elected officials to be better on climate to actively working to replace electeds who are bad or lukewarm on climate.

If your response to "find others who are climate activists and join them" is "those efforts don't inspire confidence" then maybe propose something yourself so we can have something to go on.

If what you need to inspire confidence is an ironclad, 100% guaranteed effective plan to save the world and avert climate catastrophe then I don't think you'll ever find it. It doesn't exist.

I admire the recent Fairy Creek direct action, Line 3, and the coal stuff in Germany.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Hubbert posted:

As I'm 100% certain that I would be banned for posting this elsewhere on SA, please see the following excerpt from Andreas Malm's How To Blow Up A Pipeline:

Note that I am only providing this quote for the purpose of academic discussion and for no other reason:

is this book worth getting? looks interesting

err
Apr 11, 2005

eSports Chaebol posted:

i just finished How to Blow Up a Pipeline and it's almost like a D&D-acceptable post that anticipates all objections to make a very simple point that could easily be summarized but requires about 150 pages of context for DECORUM. It's basically just, accepting as a given a liberal perspective, if one diligently applies a liberal perspective, direct action against carbon emissions is justified and even necessary. Put another way, it is NOT a radical book. It is about how blowing up pipelines ISN'T radical and if you reject radicalism and embrace common sense, sabotage is still in many cases the answer

I'm not trashing it; I liked and and it has a grounding perspective. Even if it is optimistic at times, the rejection of doomerism doesn't rely on optimism but on maintaining a sober assessment that things could always get worse. Contrary to the title of the book, it's a lesson in how to describe how bad things are and the urgency for change to normal people without sounding crack-pinged

Reading it now and I agree. Still good of course.

err
Apr 11, 2005

T-Paine posted:

anyone notice how the news is not really even talking about efforts to stop, stall, or mitigate climate change but instead how to cope with it? We're hyper-hosed!

mental health week

err
Apr 11, 2005

quote:

A huge leak of documents seen by BBC News shows how countries are trying to change a crucial scientific report on how to tackle climate change.

The leak reveals Saudi Arabia, Japan and Australia are among countries asking the UN to play down the need to move rapidly away from fossil fuels.

It also shows some wealthy nations are questioning paying more to poorer states to move to greener technologies.

This "lobbying" raises questions for the COP26 climate summit in November.

It shows countries pushing back on UN recommendations for action just days before they will be asked to make significant commitments to slow down climate change and keep global warming to 1.5 degrees.

The leaked documents consist of more than 32,000 submissions made by governments, companies and other interested parties to the team of scientists compiling a UN report designed to bring together the best scientific evidence on how to tackle climate change.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58982445

err
Apr 11, 2005

Sci-fi movies and books brainwashed a bunch of dorks into believing living and traveling in space would be possible.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Another report I remembered:

err
Apr 11, 2005

Imagine the babies being born now. Rip

err
Apr 11, 2005

Lol

err
Apr 11, 2005

what happened to the ashes, ashes podcast?

did they burn out?

err
Apr 11, 2005

Lmao that he's the one posting it.

err
Apr 11, 2005

world's biggest prisoner's dilemma

err
Apr 11, 2005

Minrad posted:

i feel like im going absolutely insane. i have spent more of my life around and in contact with plastics than any other substance in the universe.

I got swag from my workplace last week, it was a company water bottle shipped via UPS from New Jersey.

Not sure what to do with it? Straight into the landfill?

err
Apr 11, 2005

err
Apr 11, 2005

err
Apr 11, 2005

How would you even get the world to cooperate and downscale oil production and use. It's in everything for everything. Any type of worthy restrictions would cause complete collapse of the world economy. Even if we did some type of planned multi-year phased withdrawal, I can imagine social unrest being catastrophic.

Of course we are going to get all of this eventually, it will all be too late and there just won't be cooperation or planning involved.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Can anyone recommend resources for turning my green lawn into something more native? I'm trying to plan for the spring growing season. I live in PNW, west of the Cascades.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Living in the PNW, I really need an emergency kit in my house and car. Not really sure what to put in it, flashlights, blankets, water.

The fires this year and last year, flooding this week, potential snow soon, it seems to be extremely unpredictable lately.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Sci-fi movies have absolutely fried this dude's brain.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Apparently the mass casualty event was a candle factory being worked on overnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIpcNpngfac

err
Apr 11, 2005

We watch as forests burn and seas rise. As the worst tendencies of humanity are championed by those in power; rage, fear, greed and apathy. We see every injustice, every conflict, every catastrophe flash up on our screens. We stay complacent and consume to forget our complicity in the structures and systems that sustain that behaviour. As the world teeters on the edge of disaster, we sigh and keep scrolling, the uneasy feeling in our stomachs eating away at us a little more each day.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Alamani57 posted:

Yours is out of date though.

err
Apr 11, 2005

The Last of the Redmond Billionaires by Peter Watts

https://www.patreon.com/posts/new-decameron-37158539

Short read. Add to the OP.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Rauros posted:

the bad reviews were pretty meta, because the critics thought the movie was too dark, lmao

If that movie was depressing to critics, wait until they see the real thing.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Anyone watch First Reformed?

It's another climate change movie but is pretty obscure and hard to understand.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Has anyone read Termination Shock by Neal Stephenson? Been wanting more climate fiction after The Ministry for the Future.

I have like 5k posts unread because I'm depressed about the climate so maybe this was already discussed. Any other recommendations are welcomed though.

err
Apr 11, 2005

The ethics of destroying the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

anarcho primitivists are right