Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MrSargent posted:

I just ordered a bunch of cards direct from tcgplayer and just received them in the mail. When I opened the package, I noticed every single card has damage on the top edge. This is clearly from shipping because there was little to no protection provided in the package. I went to the order and sent a message about the card condition but was wondering if anyone here had similar experiences and if tcgplayer made things right.

Honestly, if this is the way they package their cards I don't think I would buy from them again.

Can you take a picture of it? the normal way for tcplayer direct to mail you cards that come in a basic envelope is completely reasonable IMO. Sounds like you might have just gotten a little unlucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Here is a picture of the damage. The cards were all placed in a single plastic sleeve and then placed in a thin bubble-wrapped envelope. The sleeve they came in was also damaged enough that it ripped the sleeve right where the cards got dinged. Maybe I got unlucky but seems like if the envelope got dropped on edge at all it could easily result in this kind of damage.

Yeah, you got a tad unlucky. A resealable shrink wrap in a bubble mailer is about as good as it gets for shipping cards. unfortunately the carrier hosed you up. It happens.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sleep better at night knowing that that Mark has basically no say on if the reserved list is ever abolished.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

It was a failed reset of modern.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fadam posted:

I can’t link them, but if people here are really champing at the bit to play eternal formats but don’t want to spend thousands of dollars there are all sorts of places you can get paper playable proxies that will pass any inspection done short of busting out a loupe and getting sweaty about it.

And they have only improved in the years. A holostamp is no longer a barrier for entry.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fadam posted:

My buddy ordered a fake full art Jeska’a Will that legit is indistinguishable lol. He had to write proxy on the back just to avoid accidentally trading it/selling it in a few years.

I have played with proxies for a better part of decade at every level but the pro tour and worlds. Deck checked countless times. Unless you are careless, you probably not going to get caught and even if you do? Plausible deniability.

Its a victimless crime.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ilmucche posted:

The problem with counterfeits as proxies is they then get traded and can gently caress up someone else's day. If your card is in a sleeve the judge deck checking you isn't going to pull it out to look at the back but someone trading sure is.

That is more of an issue of someone actively scamming and stealing from people, less though about someone wanting to play wizards poker for a reasonable price.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

kalvanoo posted:

what if they were so indistinguishable you couldn't tell them apart ever even by ripping them open what would the morality be then

Who remembers that old post where someone got their misty rainforest ripped in half by someone claiming they knew what they were doing?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Every time a kid somewhere sits down to play commander with a chinese proxy dual land instead of doing without, an improvement to the game as been made, not the other way around.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

No, there will always be a Best Card(s) In Standard, some players would just rather complain about them than adapt.

Sometimes the "best cards" end up having to get banned because of how warping they are. Siege Rhino never had to be banned but was the best card in standard for a time. There are many examples of this. The issue is how much better than are than 2, 3, 4th best... etc.

It also doesn't help if all those card go in the same deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

There was a website called https://twitchearnings.com/ that was up for a short time which you could easily search, but its down now. :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

babypolis posted:

pretty crazy that LSV makes such a meager amount of twitch considering he usually has over 2k viewers. much smallers channels make a lot more money than he does. althought now that i think about it, its probably because he streams a lot less than other people and twitch only represents a small slice of the pie for him.

Less streams means less opportunities to sub. There is also a ton of other factors that goes into how often someone might sub and why, he doesn't seem to be leveraging most of those.

Gramps posted:

twitch payouts aint poo poo- it's all about the donos

For most streamers, the donors make up for the smallest % of their income.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

good gravy, i had literally forgotten Ingest

man i wish this game weren't so heavily Capitalized because it'd be kinda cool if they played with design spaces for longer instead of "must make new shiny mechanics!!!"

do players even want new mechanics all the time? Learn/Lesson was great, Dungeons were cool, but Day/Night doesn't seem to have been tested very well and it often seems to amount to essentially "at various times throughout the match, Do A Thing" which is definitely not bad but feels... blah to play

Game designers like to huff their own farts.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Ok I know Rudy has come up several times before and I've said he wasn't so bad. But I need someone to come on here and explain how him bilking $1.3 million from his patrons for literal nothing is defensible in any way whatsoever.

Don't forget the $$ still made when he sells "discounted" sealed product to his patreons. Or the youtube revenue.

Its defensible in that he is an entertainer and his side grift isn't any different or less moral than anyone elses in the mtg world.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I mean, both rudy and the professors are grifters. One is just less shameless than the other.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Whoever made that card should be sacked.

It was suppose to be another bad "zany" red card. How were they suppose to know that it would be accidently good?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

On the topic of grifters and grifting, the judges academy is still a thing?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

The pearl clutching over the recent assault on Magic's canon always seemed weird to me given how often people seem to complain about the poor quality of the general story. Any successes seem to revolve around specific planes and designs rather than the worldbuilding as a whole

Both can be bad on their own. Once upon I time I thought "man, the magic books are always so bad, I wish the story was better" and then a monkey paw curled and we eventually got the magic avengers. I personally don't even mind the magic crossovers they have planned, if the art is cool and the cards are fun, I will play.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

little munchkin posted:

it makes them so mad to see someone who is exactly like them in every way except not being inducted into their boy's club a decade ago

Crokeyz is much different than those that are circling the wagons. He is actually successful at making money while playing mtg.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's purposfully abrasive for no reason and vapes constantly. This would be a great reason to think he is a giant turd, but most people just hate him because he is somewhat of an outsider to Competitive magic and a large number of casual players think he is the best player alive.

He isn’t even in the top 10 of most abrasive mtg players lol. Might not be in the top 5 for mtg streamers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/fluffycattens/status/1451476739193032738?s=21

::yikes:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Ya know, all this kinda leads me to suspect that there might possibly be a slightly higher concentration of autistic people among Magic players than among the general public.

Explain. :allears:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Dude in the NRG event this past weekend played an extra land in the finals... On camera. Not 100% sure he did it on purpose but it looks pretty bad.

Saw it. He drew the land instead of putting into play tapped, so he split the difference and put it into play from his hand untapped for his second land drop.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am really confused why the land needs the 1 life part for vampires. I don't think the second bit of text is so powerful to need that drawback.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

That hellkite is aggro as gently caress.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Halana and Alena, Lesbians

To be honest, that would be pretty banger.

A big flaming stink posted:

jesus christ are the idiots at wizards outright lesbophobes or something

Asian markets.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Koirhor posted:

I honestly couldn’t care less about gender or sexual orientation of my magic cards

It’s time to move on from 2001 and evolve.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Koirhor posted:

Sure I get that but people are also putting alot of projection of their hopes and dreams onto cardboard printed by a lovely company.

You can’t control wotc. You can control your posting and lack of awareness when you miss the point of representation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It was kinda fringy in standard but it did see some play... it killed Siege Rhino and protected your Siege Rhino.

It was also in mardu dragons in the same era.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

That was a sweet deck. RB dragons was a sweet deck to.

Crackling doom was my favorite card to cast in standard and will probably always will be.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Does that last half of the card text seem... a little unfinished? Do you get the discount forever? Until the wolf leaves play? What if you have another wolf? I mean I think I know how its suppose to play, but I am expecting more text to tell me things.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

This not having a cast clause is going to be problematic.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

sit on my Facebook posted:

Mulch is good as gently caress. Don't sleep on mulch

With all the graveyard matters stuff, all 4 cards can be hits. Bonkers card for standard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BioThermo posted:

Interesting design.
No haste, no hard-to removeness, no instant value except for your opponent, but dang is that doing a good job of splitting the difference between Regisaur and Gargaroth for just being bigger than anything else on curve. Blocks goldspan, haven, predator, gets through lolth, survives blizzard brawl from anything but a pumped mammoth in mono-G, bigger than burn down or rebuke/bolt.
Probably unplayable, but pretty cool nonetheless and easier to use than Egon.

Can't sleep on that trample. Whatever decks play 3 mana sorin probably want this for the downtick over whatever else it was cheating into play.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

This card design is actually really cool. This how I would prefer cards be created instead of ETB bullshit.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I like the design but I wish it was a little cheaper or better P/T before transformation

Its a cmc more expensive because its a flexible card. If this was 3 cmc it would probably be too good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Opening a pack and pulling this card is going to feel TERRIBLE.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

So noted scumbag cheater Matthew Folkes apparently plays FnB now and was cheating it up on camera last weekend en route to winning a few thousand bucks and they are taking a pass on doing anything about it lol

Twitter has been pretty spot on.

https://twitter.com/matthewfoulkes/status/1455594870685454338?s=20
https://twitter.com/BasicMountain/status/1455614265994342402?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I will be continuing not playing FnB.

If it turns out to be a fun game, I will play it. I have no brand loyalty.