Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

But if the reserve list got reprinted, then maybe some other people could play $1 million rock/paper/scissors, and we wouldn't be special anymore! Can you imagine what would happen if we didn't cater exclusively to the whims of early adopters, rather than players who weren't even born when some of these cards were printed?

In all seriousness, the game as presented below looks boring as hell, and I'm glad MTG evolved away from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96sukgjTZk4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

LeafHouse posted:

drat, why’d they have to make Dustin complete and utter rear end?

I don't know who was clamoring for a less good, Azorious version of Dalakos with limited partner, but I guess we have one now?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

resistentialism posted:

If they let you draw from the bottom of your own deck it'd be abusable, I bet. There's effects where cards go to the bottom of the library because the designer wanted for sure for you to not find that card again easily. But since it's your opponents' decks I don't think it's that significant, other than changing the way your opponents decide to scry.

Yeah, unfortunately, Black doesn't have too many "bottom of deck" effects

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=oracle%3Abottom+color%3DB

I love the flavor, but I'm having trouble coming up with combos it could be abused with as a commander

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh when did Niambi have a kid?

Niambi is his daughter

Subira is his wife

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

LeafHouse posted:

Remember when WoTC was going to review every card to see which are problematic? Sure is taking them a while to circle back on that one.

"In a bizarre twist, every card on the reserved list has been deemed problematic and offensive..."

sit on my Facebook posted:

They more or less have. It's actually incredibly difficult to pass off a fake to somebody who has the proper tools and knows what they're looking for.

"Heck no you can't take my duals out of their double sleeves to check if they're real! Do you know how expensive those cards are? I don't want your finger oils all over them. Are we playing or not?"

edit: To be clear, I do not condone using proxies to try to scam people out of money. Proxies should be for gaming use, not resale under false pretenses

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 14, 2022

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Certainly a big step up from the original The Unspeakable

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I hope they do something with the climactic finale or whatever where it allows them to revisit the legendarily lovely old sets and reimagine them with actual balance. Fallen Empires and Homelands, But Good :v:

That would rule hard

Revisit some of the weird art from that period, maybe give us a playable Veldrane of Sengir or Rashka the Slayer

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

What purpose does a deathtouch counter that doesn't give deathtouch serve? Or any counter that doesn't grant what it says, you know what I mean.

I think the misinterpretation was that it was like the cage counters from Mairsil, fetch counters from Pako, or croak counters from Grolnok, where it's a named counter which only has an effect in relation to other cards, but no intrinsic effect of its own.

edit: the Myojin cycle from earlier Kamigawa had a similar style of counter exchange, but they hadn't invented ability counters yet. I suspect the "divinity" counters would have just been "indestructible" counters if it had come later

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 28, 2022

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

Rule 104.3f states "If a player would both win or lose the game simultaneously, he or she loses the game."

quote:

he big story of the Honolulu Pro Tour wasn’t Kazuya Mitamura’s $40,000 victory in the finals. The big story happened in the first round, where a young boy known only as Hans did something that is causing many to call him a hero.

Hans’s game was looking unwinnable. He had a negative life total and was kept alive only by his Platinum Angel. His opponent had just cast a Molder Slug, threatening to remove the Angel — Hans’s only artifact — at the beginning of his next turn.

But when it got to that next turn, Hans would say a word that would put the whole series of events in motion. A word that would send ripples throughout Magic history. A word that would cement Hans’s legendary status.

Hans stared at his opponent and said, “No.”

His opponent was taken aback. “Judge!” said the opponent. “He’s refusing to follow my Molder Slug’s triggered ability.”

“Refusing?”

“Refusing.”

“Is this true, Hans?”

Hans nodded.

The judge said, “I have to issue you a game loss, Hans.”

Hans pointed to his Platinum Angel. “I can’t lose the game,” he said. And with that, he proceeded to his draw step, undaunted by the judge’s ruling. Then he skimmed through his deck for marked cards and put those into his hand as well.

“You’re violating multiple game rules,” said the judge, “in addition to ignoring my ruling, and I am issuing a game loss to you.”

Hans, his finger still stuck to the Platinum Angel, like a modern day Little Dutch Boy with his finger plugging the leak in the dike, said, “You can issue all the game losses you want, but with my Platinum Angel in play, they have no effect.” Hans proceeded to the attack phase and swung for 4 with his Angel. He then looked at his opponent’s face-down morphs, referred to outside notes, and substituted cards from his sideboard.

The judge stood before him, flummoxed. Without saying a word, Hans merely looked at the judge while pointing to the Platinum Angel.

It was when Hans cast a Demonic Attorney that the head judge was called over. “Ante cards are banned,” the head judge said. “That’s a complete violation of the rules.” But when he saw Hans’s Platinum Angel in play, he was quieted. He knew he was defeated.

Hans said, “Since the Demonic Attorney’s in the game, we have to do what it says.” He proceeded to put the top card of his opponent’s deck into his trade binder.

The head judge frowned in disapproval. “He’s right.”

It was a matter of hours before Hans owned his opponent’s entire deck, as well many other cards from his opponent’s collection, thanks to a Mindslaver and Ring of Ma’rûf. Each time judges tried to issue Hans a game loss for casting cards without mana, or playing cards in his graveyard, Hans merely pointed to his Platinum Angel.

The cards Hans didn’t want to take from his opponent he tore up, due to interactions involving Chaos Confetti, March of the Machines, and Cytoshape.

Having by this time gathered quite a crowd, Hans produced a folded and wrinkled copy of the DCI Infraction Procedure Guide from his pocket and began skimming it for ideas. He noticed that kicking an opponent’s chair out from under them was listed under “Unsportsmanlike Conduct,” so he did just that. He also kicked the chairs out from under several other nearby players and spectators.

The sun was starting to set. The judges had not even attempted to give Hans a game loss for stalling. One by one, they had hanged their heads and walked away, resigned to their powerlessness in the face of the Platinum Angel. Then one of them hatched a plan. “I know who we can call,” the judge exclaimed.

The next morning, Hans was woken by a voice blaring across the room from a police loudspeaker. “Hans,” the voice said, “this is your mother. I love you. Please sacrifice your Platinum Angel to the Molder Slug’s triggered ability so this can all end.”

Hans lifted his head, looked around the room, and kicked his opponent’s chair out from under him once more.

“Hans,” his mother said, “we miss you. We just want you to come home.”

Hans yawned, cast the Unglued card Handcuffs, and ordered his opponent to touch his hands together.

It was Day Four of the standoff when another voice blared across the room. “Hans,” the voice said, “this is your fiancé. There are only two more days until our wedding, honey. Don’t you still want to get married? You have to end this game now, Hans. Please just sacrifice the Platinum Angel to the Molder Slug. We love you. We’re worried about you.”

Hans’s mouth hung open, agape. A tear came to his eye. “Marcia,” he said. “I love you too.” He looked about him, seemingly aghast at what he had done. “I…” he paused. “I concede.”

A flurry of applause burst through the room. Judges began high-fiving each other and giving Marcia hugs. “Unfortunately,” Hans said, “the concession has no effect since my Platinum Angel is still in play.”

It was two weeks into the game when the military showed up. “Hans,” came a voice from a helicopter. “We have you surrounded. If you do not concede immediately, we will open fire.”

Hans looked up at the helicopter, over at the tanks, and across the street at the snipers. He was still pointing to the Platinum Angel, as stoically as ever.

To this day, a sleeved Platinum Angel remains embedded in Hans’s tombstone. Hans may have lost his life that day, but he never lost the game.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

uggy posted:

drat that Honolulu pro tour thing is stupid as gently caress

Yeah, "do not research" indeed

It's like when you have a decent one line joke, but then try to extend it out into a full movie

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The World Inferno posted:

The entitlement from that "New MTG Project" is bewildering. It's so wild to see someone blatantly say: hey I'm going to try to make a profit off a major corp's IP, and then act disappointed when said major corp slaps them down.

Heck, their site openly flaunts the idea that they'd make enough $$ off this to buy Magic from Wizards of the Coast.

Yes, I'm sure Hasbro will be eager to sell their cash cow, given how profitable it has been in 2021...

https://mtgrocks.com/2021-is-the-best-selling-year-ever-for-mtg-beating-2020-records/

quote:

2021 is the Best Selling Year Ever for MTG, Beating 2020 Records
Emma Partlow
28, OCT, 21

Magic: The Gathering has broken revenue records for the second year in a row.

Hasbro has announced that MTG has already beaten its record-breaking 2020, with 2021 already being the game’s best year ever even with the release of Innistrad: Crimson Vow coming in November.

On the quarterly earnings call, the three sets Modern Horizons 2, Strixhaven: School of Mages, and D&D: Adventure in the Forgotten Realms all performed above expectations. With D&D Adventure in the Forgotten Realms, it is on track to be the best-selling summer set of all time, beating Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths which came out last year.

This may not come as a surprise since Adventure in the Forgotten Realms offers a crossover between D&D and MTG, merging two of the most popular Wizards of the Coast’s IPs in an expansion set. This will set a trend over the next few years with Universes Beyond offering collaborations with Games Worksop, Netflix, and Capcom, so expect profits to rise over this time.

Within the call, Hasbro also discussed how MTG Arena performed this year so far, with an emphasis on the digital client being a “critical source of new players to the game”. Wizards of the Coasts‘s CEO Chris Cocks said that MTG Arena was not removing the player base, but growing on the existing ecosystem and making a case that players were migrating from to and from tabletop through MTG Arena.

It was also confirmed that at the end of Q3, 2021 had taken over 2020 as being the game’s most profitable year ever. This includes products that just came out such as Innistrad: Midnight Hunt, and the Pioneer Challenger Decks 2021 which are yet to have official revenue numbers.

Overall, Hasbro are happy with Wizards of the Coast‘s performance, saying that the company are on track to double its 2018 revenue by the end of 2021, which is two years ahead of schedule. Even with the good news, Hasbro mentioned that they lost $100 million due to supply chain issues in the US, making stock demands tricky to meet. With that, these issues are still ongoing with Innistrad: Crimson Vow Set Boosters unlikely to be available for its release next month.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did any of these besides Waste Not and Chasm Skulker end up seeing play?

Yisan is a staple in green EDH, and a major combo piece for many cEDH decks

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Reynold posted:

Love to have an investment firm swoop in on a long-term successful enterprise so they can take control and really improve a product in every way like they usually do

Look, I'm sure that spinning it off into its own company will in no way influence how much debt it takes on immediately to pay as bonuses to the new investors, and definitely won't go... Oh, what's that? They're only interested in short term profits then cutting and running with as much of the copper wire torn out of the walls as they can stuff into their suitcases? That doesn't sound like the capitalists I know.

This is in no way like a jerk boyfriend who takes out a bunch of credit cards in his girlfriend's name and then breaks up with her once they've been maxed out, leaving her in crippling debt. Definitely very different.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

fadam posted:

Yeah, fair points, I guarantee they crunched the numbers and figured out it wasn't lucrative enough to bother with a dust system. But TBF, that's the only reason they haven't bothered, and I think painting their decision to not include it as being pro-consumer or saving people from themselves is kind of dumb. For instance, I think calling it a 'loaded gun' is a bit much lol, the absolute worst thing that happens is someone loses some cards. Hearthstone is still pretty popular despite having a 'loaded gun' since the beginning.

I don't think they're ever going to add a dust system, and I'm not sure if I even want it, but I think something to mitigate how annoying it is that most of the rares/mythics you get aren't constructed playable would be nice. When I played Hearthstone even a lovely rare was like 1/4th of a card so it was still exciting getting rare rewards. In MTGA you open some janky piece of poo poo and your only consolation is that you're now a fraction of a percent closer to opening the vault.

One thing you'll see in a lot of gacha games is a "lock" or "safety" that you can put on characters and items, so they can't be sold, traded, dusted, whatever, without manually disabling the lock, so folks don't accidentally destroy the 5 star waifu they'd been rolling for while cleaning up all the other pulls.

Given how prevalent is it in other games, it can't be too difficult to add a similar thing to MGTA, to make it more difficult to accidentally dust cards you want to keep around.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Drewjitsu posted:

It worked for kamigawa. We were joking in the discord that were going to get a wild west homelands set now too.

Old set + new genre type seems like a home run!

"There ain't enough room in this bottle for the two of us, Cattle Baron Sengir!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Some land trivia

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/679721472534659072/hey-marko-just-curious-why-plains-is-the-only

quote:

quote:

Hey Marko, Just curious why Plains is the only basic land that is plural? I’ve always been a logophile and it creates an itch that has to be scratched. I have to know! Lol
I decided to go straight to the source and asked Richard Garfield. Here’s the answer he gave:

“I struggled with 2 land types - islands and plains. Struggled is overstating it - thought a lot about. Islands were coast at one point (perhaps before magic), because I didn’t want disconnected land. It was also simply Ocean. Plains - what I really wanted was farmland but that sounded silly. Countryside also sounded strange, pasture, etc. Prairie sounded too US centric (which apparently, to a lesser extent, plains is also, I didn’t know that in pre internet days). Steppe sounded too Russian.

Anyway I settled on Plains and never really considered plain. There are some reasons for it - which probably I never consciously considered -

Plains is weird among the other land types. If you search for Mountains or Forests in dictionaries there are no separate entry for them, Plains is different, sometimes it refers to the Great Plains, sometimes it is called out as a called out plural, like - this means a collection of plains - but mountains is never called out - there is mountains (mountains plural) The dictionaries treat it differently because I think people do. A forest beast has a clear meaning and sounds right. A plain beast does not. A >plains< beast does. At least that is true to my ear. This might be because of disambiguation with ‘unadorned beast’, but I think it is more than that - and my small effort in researching it has suggested that plains as a plural is a different thing, at least slightly different, than mountains, islands, forests, and swamps.”

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

I didn't listen to the podcast but how exactly is an extra card in your starting hand "incredibly deep design space" and how can it not be completely hosed up? It breaks two of the game's most fundamental rules (random starting hand, starting hand size) in a way that can hardly be overcome by your opponent unless they also have one.

One design space that hasn't been properly utilized in Magic, while being routinely explored in other TCGs, is "A sideboard you can access during regular game play"

Magic has a few cards which do this (cards like Wish, Fae of Wishes, Living Wish, and Spawnsire of Ulamog which bring a card(s) in from "outside the game" for example), but there have been other games which utilize this sort of "extra deck" as a core or prominent design element (Yu-Gi-Oh's Extra Deck, Bleach's Side Deck, Raw Deal's Backlash decks with their Pre-game and Mid-match cards, Q's Tent in the Star Trek CCG, for example).

Unfortunately, Companion was a bust, and one of the most ill-received mechanics of all time, so they're unlikely to revise and revisit it anytime soon, the way they replaced Embalm with Eternalize, or Fear with Intimidate.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This is what Learn is?

How did I blank on Learn? :doh:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

"Urabrask, more like Uba Mask, am I right folks?" :v:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Shield tokens remind me of a built in Totem Armor

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

kalel posted:

Seriously though who gives a gently caress about "steal your opponent's card" effects outside of limited in the era of fire design? I want to cast the cards in my deck and forward my game plan! you're crowding the cards with the jank lines of text required to make your stupid pet mechanic work only for your own benefit!

Ken nagle is a menace to card design and needs to be stopped

The flash on the card makes me think it's intended for commander, to counter folks tutoring to the top of their library.

You know, like a 6 mana, worse Opposition Agent.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

"Do this only once each turn" continues to be the worst line of text Wizards has ever pulled out of its rear end.

It could probably be rewritten to say "Once per turn, when you sacrifice a creature, you may ~" but I'm not positive that's an improvement in readability, as some might incorrectly construe it as applying to only the first sac you make per turn, rather than as an option during any one sac you make per turn...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

TipTow posted:

I don't keep up with #mtgfinance and last I knew unlimited Mox Sapphire was something like $1,600. Just checked on scryfall, and lol.

My mind is permanently stuck in 6th grade as far as ABUR prices go, therefore an Alpha Black Lotus is $300, Moxes go for $100 a piece, and revised duals are $10 each, which are outrageous sums for a child to pay for a game card, and anyways they aren't even that good because you can play as many lands as you want from your hand each turn, so why would an artefact that's just a land be worth playing? Is this like how it's better to play Tundra so your Kird Ape comes in at 2/3 for 1 mana in case you didn't draw a forest?

LifeLynx posted:

Maybe they'll extend that to duals because look, every Commander player needs them and the players to supply ratio is like a million to one.

I'm sure they're also aware of the lucrative market that Chinese proxy sellers are tapping into, given how many streamers are playing with cards that are obviously from MPC or other sources, and how major tournaments like Marchesa are just handing out "playtest" cards for tournament use because of the financial outlay involved. Much like the music industry guy who said "This Napster thing is causing us problems. What if we could charge people every time they play an MP3?" I'm sure there's talk of figuring out ways to somehow recapture that market share

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

That's trash if that is the one they meant. It needs to be 5C

Yeah, I was looking forward to building her, but if I can't turn it into a Maze's End commander deck, I don't think she's going to be worth running instead of, like, Kennrith or 4c Omnath.

Given that Nine-Fingers will be able to run:

Dimir, Golgari, and Simir Guild Gates
Gateway Plaza
The 3 color + choice Gates from CL:BG (the not Cliff and Citadel ones)
Baldur's Gate itself

That's only 8.

Adding in Vesuva, Thespian's Stage, Sakashima's Protege, Replication Technique, Mirage Mirror, and Orvar, you have a deck that's still too much effort to make work for what should be a fun theme, and still won't trigger Maze's End because some will have the same names.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 17, 2022

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

The life cycle of a Magic: the Gathering set release:

1) Wizards announces that they have an announcement coming up, and that you would have to be some sort of crazy person to miss it.

2) Wizards announces the name of the set, and hints at either a card or a mechanic in the set.

3) MaRo writes an article about how this will be the most amazing, revolutionary, game changing set in the last 10 years, and how it will fix standard.

4) someone from WotC writes an article about how this set has a ton of cards that will help your brawl deck. both he and his mom read the article, bringing the article's hit count up to 3.

5) The deadline for small businesses to tell WotC how much they want to buy happens

6) WotC sends the complete spoiler to the same companies they've been sending them to for years.

7) WotC announces something random about the set that doesn't seem to mean too much to most people, but it makes most WPN stores regret ordering either too much or too little of the set. WPN stores wonder why they couldn't have known this information before step 5.

8.) WotC spoils a few cards.

9) Total nonsense buyouts happen, as well as a few actual sensical buyouts.

10) people who don't understand how economics work begin complaining about buyouts, and posting it vehemently everywhere they can.

11) more cards are spoiled.

12) Rudy makes a video declaring this set to either be the greatest set in 2 years or the worst set in 5 years. For the next 3 weeks, every decision 5% of the MtG population makes is based on this video.

13) Someone mocks up a fake spoiler of a Reserved List card as if it is going to be in the new set. Dozens of people message me or post on my article. Many get added to my mute list.

14) WotC Spoils more cards.

15) WotC Announces that due to events totally out of their control, Thing A that they totally expected to happen in the set isn't happening, and instead Thing B will be happening, and that Thing B is actually way better.

16) The rest of the cards are spoiled.

17) A ton more buyouts happen.

18) hundreds of people use the words "gouging" and "scalping" incorrectly in posts all over the internet.

19) WotC announces a change to the way Standard rotates. They assure us that they won't be changing it again, and this way is much much better than any other way that has been done before.

20) The set is released on Arena, and is declared to be either be the greatest drafting set ever, or the worst drafting set ever.

21) Walmart and Target "accidentally" begin selling the set.

22) WotC begins selling on Amazon.

23) WotC's retail support crew begins assuring people that Walmart and Target have literally never been allowed to sell product early, and will be severely punished for doing so.

24) WotC makes a confusing announcement about which products WPN stores are allowed to sell, how much, and why, except instead of using numbers, they send it out in code.

25) WotC sends out a confusing email with no fewer than 3 mistakes in it, clarifying their announcement in #23.

26) The prerelease happens.

27) Your local game store is finally allowed to sell the product.

28) UltraPRO playmats arrive, and we finally know what art is on them.

29) [REDACTED BY AN NDA I DIDN'T READ PROPERLY OR KEEP A COPY OF...)

30) Restart the process for the next set about 8 days after the current set releases.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Let's talk about why Mercadia needs to come back.

My Lin Sivvi commander deck needs more Rebels, and also we need more Ramos parts (i.e. Nose of Ramos, Tongue of Ramos, Ear of Ramos) as two color two CMC mana rocks, so I'm all for more Mercadia

Party Miser posted:

They really need to do it like that because some nerds are insufferable with interpretations. I once saw a nerd at Gencon get mad and yell at a concession worker because the sign said “hot dogs $5" and they only got one.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 31, 2022

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

fadam posted:

I'm not a lore expert but I'm pretty sure they're both gay again.

I like that the fandom wiki has an entire section on this

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Chandra_Nalaar#On_Chandra.27s_love_life

quote:

On Chandra's love life

Chandra was originally planned by the Creative team to be a pansexual "hot mess" and eventually be in a relationship with Nissa Revane.[3][4] However, she was described as a heterosexual who likes "big-muscled manly men" in War of the Spark: Forsaken.[5] Wizards of the Coast later released a statement on their website acknowledging the controversy and reception with the novel, and that Chandra's identity will be explored more in future stories.[6][7] Greg Weisman also released an apology, stating that the mutual creative/editorial process with WotC and Del Rey was to blame for the final characterization of Chandra in the book.[8]

In the storyline of Midnight Hunt, Chandra seems to be smitten by the looks of the cathar Adeline.[9] Chandra appeared on a Pride float in Secret Lair: Pride Across the Multiverse and was reconfirmed as pansexual in the drop's corresponding Digital Zine.[10]

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Sit on my Jace posted:

I'm literally talking about my own bisexual experience

:hmmyes:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

TotalHell posted:

Come on now you don’t want full foil art of these ICONIC uncommons (for 8x the price)???

I don't know what you mean, MPC has per card pricing based on volume :homebrew:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Garfield also wrote a very thorough and accessible textbook on game design, Characteristics of Games, with co-authors Skaff Elias and K. Robert Gutschera, which I'd recommend to anyone with an interest in the subject

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Sickening posted:

Hey listen, this is the point you should be really REALLY careful. You will now have an unlimited amount of people trying to make "deals" with you that are probably not going to be in your favor. These types of hauls are rare and I don't put it past goons to send you pm's and rip you off.

"Haha, hey there pal, got some magical cards there for sale, don'tcha? How's about I offer you a crisp $100 bill in exchange for all that binder? Boy, remember when those dual lands were $10 a piece? Shame they've appreciated in value so muc-- No, no, shut up Gil, make the buy, make the buy!"

No, seriously, you've got at a lot of valuable cards there. Sell slow on eBay and buy a nice Prius or something!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

coelomate posted:

poo poo’s fully automated, because mtg nerds and computer nerds are a very overlapping vendiagram: https://scryfall.com/sets/2x2/crunch

Mayhem devil is not yet crunched out, there are 2 slots it could be in I think.

:eyepop:

"By gum, it worked. I've awakened in the future... What a time to be alive."

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I know it's a troll post, and I know it's not the point, but how would one even do arbitrage in MTG these days? Everyone with a smartphone has access to countless stores across the country/world and up to the minute pricing on whatever card they want. Unless interstate commerce laws get really strict all of a sudden, there's no way to keep collectables in one area and not another...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Back in my day there weren't no fancy borderless this and foil that. We was happy when they gave us the rarity on the set symbol!

Bah, what's this Portal stuff doing on my basic lands? How's you supposed to know what the dang card does when it's just a big old mana symbol, rather than a proper sentence explaining the rules? Bad enough they switched the tap symbol from a sensible tilted T to whatever that twisty arrow thing is!

(That said, I did like how Portal called blockers "interceptors" to drive home that you attack the player, not their creatures, and the creatures are getting in the way of the attack, which was one of the top problems beginners seemed to have back in the 90s)

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 1, 2022

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

A rather significant plot event hand-waved over in the opening crawl of Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker were only available if you played Fortnite's Star Wars tie-in event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u0ejXC7kFs

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Eej posted:

It's the equivalent of Teferi going back in time to fix some kind of anomaly in the Brother's War that spawned a new timeline and the Yawgmoth of that timeline avoided his fate and snuck his way into our present time.

Didn't this already happen (kinda) with Karn spying on K'rrik and Jhoira's love nest, and Sarkhan freeing Ugin on Tarkir?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

A few months back we were talking about a Western Homelands update, ala Kamigawa

Well, there might be a Wild West themed secret lair coming up soon.. Unconfirmed leak, of course, but neat alternate frames in any case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

There were a couple "realistic" looking rifles and pistols in past art, but lately it's all fantasy arc welders and spraypaint pistols

https://scryfall.com/search?q=art%3Agun&unique=art