Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I guess Hasbro Pulse is getting in to the Secret Lair game?

https://hasbropulse.com/products/purrfection-foil-edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not counting Midnight Hunt legendaries, the legendary coming back as a vampire would be Thalia or Odric, right? Unless they did something weird like Gitrogg or a vampire tree.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, but it feels a bit of a cop-out to say 'removes something never removed before' when they mean 'removes something that gets removed all the time but in a way never done before'

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I guess theoretically it could apply to something that can target any card in exile, since anything that plays with cards in exile put them there in the first place.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

fadam posted:

According to Lore Professionals the two characters on one card is probably whoever is getting married, Thalia and Odric (this would be sick but I’m hoping for sexy vampire Thalia personally) or Alena and Halana, a pair of sisters on two cards I’d never seen or heard of before. It could also be Gitrog and Craterhoof.

Oh I forgot about Alena and Halana, they seem the safe bet for the pair up card. Though they're not sisters, they're life long roommates, to use the furthest term WoTC is willing to take.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oh, are we getting the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man in this set?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Silhouette posted:

Cleave is just the Mythos cycle mechanic from Ikoria as a keyword, and I like it

Just a granular Overload.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That prestige art feels like it was taken from a Rage card.

Like if Ron Spencer took up watercolors.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Captain Invictus posted:

I really really hope this is a corpse-a-pult or something similar, a defender thing or whatever that buffs zombies, instead of something that gives zombies wings

Wrong card but right concept.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Received my Praetor Secret Lair in the mail today, the special card is a foil version of the Phyrexian swamp from Jumpstart.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Human Crouton posted:

Someone is going to build a deck that does nothing for 8 turns and then does something cute with this, but overall it's a bad card.

Durdley Jeskai commander deck with Urza.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

imweasel09 posted:

https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1474038308519006213

MTGO is being moved from WOTC development to daybreak games, notable for being a company that mostly handles maintenance mode mmos.

Also known for laundering money from the Russian mob

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

evilweasel posted:

t1 dark ritual -> hypnotic specter was the poo poo

also loved me some hymn to tourachs

Thr only thing better was watching the kid with money to burn drop t1 dark ritual -> sol ring -> Juzam Djinn. To which yiu get to respond with dropping Spirit Link on the Juzam.

Favorite card will probably be Pygmy Allosaurus. The name is too evocative of. Agreat concept.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Seems like a strictly upgraded Grandeur I think, where you don't need the first one in play to use it.

I was thinking that's what it probably is, haven't they said they wanted to bring back Grandeur but they didn't want a keyword that was impossible to use in Commander?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jabor posted:

Back in OG Kamigawa, Channel was only on Spirits, and it did something related to an ability that the creature side had. So there was definitely a thematic connection between the two halves.

So it was kind of a proto-evoke that didn't affect etb triggers?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No, it has black in the casting cost so it's a black artifact creature. It might not mean anything, outside of commander, unless they reprint something like Doom Blade. It might work well with some Silverquill since they have no end of disposable 2/1s they can tap to crew and then sac.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

neaden posted:

What's the flavor of soulripper, it's clearly not an actual vehicle right? Does it need to rip someone's soul a lite bit to do anything which is what the crew cost represents? Just feels off.

Just spit balling, but given the cyberpunk theme, it could be the setting equivalent to cyberware maybe with an enslaved spirit operate as a rudimentary AI. Making a blood sacrifice to the spirit overclocks the tech.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Shortest Path posted:

Get in the Eva, Shinji

Thassa is in the exile zone and all is right in the world.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chill la Chill posted:

Will new Kamigawa have Good Art cards like Strixhaven? Potentially interested in drafting with some friends and that would be a nice bonus.

I was wondering about that, the last three(?) spring sets had JP exclusive variants in wondering if we won't get variants of the gangster legends of New Compenna as Yakuza/bancho.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chill la Chill posted:

Really hoping we get more Amano art too

Amano drawn bancho Elspeth with a two foot pompadour.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jabor posted:

Hearthstone allows minors to compete for cash prizes, as long as a parent or guardian is involved and signs the necessary legal forms.

What this ultimately comes down to is Wizards not wanting to put forward any effort at all to accommodate people.

WotC is absolutely terrified of getting Magic lumped in with gambling either in the game itself or getting buying a pack associated with buying a scratch off. I dont remember if it was Belgium or The Netherlands but they stopped having official events there completely because of it. There's a few other countries where they won't offer cash prizes but offer prize tickets that be exchanged like some grimy arcade.

You'll notice they really amped up the 'booster fun' language within the last year or two as pressure mounts to label stuff like loot boxes as gambling.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There's no blood artists currently in standard, right?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

There's Meathook Massacre, and in Alchemy there is Sanguine Brushstroke

That's alright then, it'd be too easy to go infinite with that dragon and blood artist effects in standard but with just Meathook you'd need to be ahead by more than 2:1.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

It says non-dragon.

Right, but it doesn't say 'other card' a Glasspool Mimic could target itself with the trigger.

Vvv Well the legend rule would be your sac outlet but that's why I said if the only artist effect in standard is legendary and asymmetrical it's not a worry.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 20, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Since the token is comes into play attacking it skips any 'When ~ is declared an attacker' triggers, right?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You do get a chance to use it after both first strike and regular damage has been dealt which I hadn't considered before Gavin's video the other day.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Feels weird that it doesn't have an on death trigger and the activated ability seems like an afterthought.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did the "Tainted ..." land cycle from Torment ever get fleshed out with the other land types?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Ok, so cheating an attacker into play doesn't satisfy the qualification of 'having attacked' for Boast abilities. Is that a 'just in this case' deal or does it apply to other situations like 'destroy any creature that didn't attack this turn' effects?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So it's easiest to think of 'Attacking' as a status that can only be applied in the Declare Attacker step. If I ninjitsu in a creature I can't target it with Raze the Effigy but my opponent also can't hit it with Rebuke.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
"Finish of a five-card cycle many years in the making"

Kodama of the West Tree

"an unnamed mechanic that cares about you having two things that Magic has had since its beginning"

Buyer's Remorse and FOMO

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Why wouldn't they just give them flying for the activated ability? It wouldn't have been the first time they represented Frog Jump Real Good as flying.

e: Eh, I guess it keeps them from blocking. Something something my verisimiliude.

All frogs shoukd have reach.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I worked out it's probably actually a Hakama not a Robe, which is more "traditionally" Japanese.

You're not wrong but I still think it's a funny idea that Jin-Gitaxias has become a weeb.

Just don't look at the alt art he uses for his islands.

Since body modification is a thing in the set, i wonder phryexian tech is going to be at the heart of it. Gin was the big perfection through augmentation guy, right? Vorinclex was perfection through Survival of the Fittest, Sheoldred sought it through necromancy and Elesh through purification.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 25, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Given the second Vorinclex's effect was very different but still a key green effect I wouldn't be surprised if it was "The first spell you cast each turn cannot be countered. Counter the first spell an opponent casts each turn."

Maybe first noncreature spell

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 26, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jabor posted:

It does both.

Yeah, somehow it's grosser than what I suggested.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

flatluigi posted:

'compleated' being a keyword sure implies we're gonna see some other planeswalkers get got, huh

I imagine creatures too, I wonder if there will be upsided Compleated too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Actually I think Equip would work, but not to itself, because it would stop being a creature, and also I am 90% sure a card can't be attached to itself (if the auras that enchant enchantments can't do that nonsense anyway because of the catch-22 of needing to be on the battlefield to be enchanted)

Would it? It work the same as equip but it's a different keyword so equip discounts wouldn't apply.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Karn has the Sylex still, right? Mutually assured destruction thing setting Dominaria back another Ice Age block.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Didn't they have a 'very good reason' he was the only living walker not in WAR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And he pays his writers unlike the vast majority of magic youtubers.