Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Katana Gomai posted:

This debate got me curious, so I read like five sentences and spotted enough mistakes to make me quit reading. It's garbage. In fact, chatGPT would fix this mess for you and actually improve it.

Half the things you bolded aren't even mistakes. The sentence "Many store owners have gone on the record already saying they needed to make their preorders knowing only the high price, a few cards, and the very enticing name: Commander Masters" is fine as written. If you're going to pull out the highlighters, at least save them for errors that are actually errors?

edit: the "to be running" agreement error is really bad though

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Silhouette posted:

So you're either playlisting Strixhaven 2 or there's going to be a Harry Potter secret lair

One of those things is great news and I hope the set is as fun to draft as the original, the other can gently caress right off

instead of Strixhaven 2 it will be an entire harry potter universes beyond set like the lotr set

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

transfigurus shapeshifturum
sorcery
sacrifice a creature. if you do, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature with the same genitals as the sacrificed creature. put it onto the battlefield.

harry potter
legendary creature - human wizard
tap an untapped elf you control: create a food token

snape, hero of magic
legendary creature - human wizard
tap, say a slur that hasn't been said yet this game: draw a card

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess i should be specific about the map ones, which all look the same and the plains ones are mostly forest and mountains lmao

Before I read your post more carefully I thought, "Eh, those aren't so bad. Sure, only half the map is forest-covered, but that's still the feature that jumps out, and the whole map has an obvious green tint to make it clear this is a Forest."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Enchantment
You have first strike. (Your damage-dealing instants and sorceries deal their damage as you cast them instead of as they resolve.)

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

!Klams posted:

/edit: A shameful snipe, so here's some more content: Is there some lore reason between the two collector numbers on the sonic screwdriver? I'm guessing that's to do with 'polarity' or something?

I'm seeing three different ones (184, 185, 186), one for each non-villain deck. Technically, they represent different objects in-universe, because the Doctor's had at least four different sonic screwdrivers due to them being lost or destroyed and replaced. 2-5 had one, 8-12 had one, 12 had a second one (which seems to be the one that doesn't have a card, since the 12/13 card has art for 13's screwdriver), and 13+ have the last one. There have been more than that many designs/props for it too; in the new series, the screwdriver seems to regenerate with the Doctor.

I don't know if that really explains for why the collector numbers would be different, but that's the best I can offer.

edit: also its abilities should have a "non-Treefolk" targeting restriction :goonsay:

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 5, 2023

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

It would be really hard for them to write that ability in a way that made you put the land into play before you got a chance to put the newly-found land into your hand. Even if they wanted to do that, I think they'd need a really ugly replacement effect to make it work that way. Something hideous like "If you would put a land card into your hand as part of an explore action, instead put up to one land card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped, then put that land card into your hand."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

W
Instant
Creatures in your party get +1/+1 until end of turn. (Your party consists of up to one each of Divine Caster, Arcane Caster, Fighter, and Tricky. Clerics, Druids, Mystics, and Shamans are Divine Casters. Artificers, Spellshapers, Wizards, and Warlocks are Arcane Casters. Barbarians, Berserkers, Knights, Mercenaries, Monks, Samurai, Soldiers, and Warriors are Fighters. Archers, Assassins, Bards, Ninjas, Pirates, Rangers, Rogues, Scouts, and Spies are Trickies.)

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also Detective is a new creature type eh... I guess we'll have to wait for another big creature type update to retcon those inspectors on Innistrad

The Doctor Who commander decks had a few Detectives, probably because they were made knowing this set was coming up.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

My favorite is Wastes, which has invisible rules text.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

AlternateNu posted:

What're these? Trading cards?

They're Magic: the Gathering cards. You get him in the eye with the corner of one of those, and he'll KNOW what hit'em!

Only if it's the top-left corner that hits him in the eye. Hit with one of the other corners and he'll just know its mana cost, artist, or power/toughness.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sickening posted:

Judge! I assume the second half of this card only works with artifacts that can go into the graveyard, correct? Treasures and the like meet the requirement of the first half but not the second.

Tokens still go to the graveyard, they just cease to exist afterward as an SBA, right? Creature tokens still set off "whenever a creature dies" triggers.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sickening posted:

A token creature dying is still dying, put into a graveyard seems very specific and different.

"Dies" is literally "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield".

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jiro posted:

Why would the creature owner pay so much to have that thing blocked??? That cost seems a bit ridiculous, and it only has 4 toughness.

Just give one of your opponent's creatures Indestructible AND reduce that creature's power to 0 AND destroy all your opponent's other creatures AND pay 7 mana and you have infinite attacks, couldn't be easier.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Templating like this seems like a very strong argument for Kindred Sorcery — Ooze.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

To get to the Arabian Nights plane, you need to use an Omanpath

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

AngryBooch posted:

Barring a possible mistranslation that omits the non-basic land clause

I think this is the original, and there's no "non-base" or "autre qu'une carte de terrain de base" clause in it, so not a translation error.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ultima66 posted:

I don't know if there are any other cards that make a player decide on one of multiple possible objects in the game to apply an effect to that does not have the word target or choose/choice on it.

E: Ok that's not true, discarding or exiling cards from hand or GY fall in this category.

There are at least a few more that involve getting stuff back from the graveyard:

I can't think of any that involve choosing things on the battlefield, though.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just wait until Return to Lorwyn introduces a heretofore unknown class of real estate oligarchs so they can put out a Magic themed Monopoly boxset.

They all have "Lands you control get +1/+1."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

When Cardname rides into town,

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Aphrodite posted:

let red bolt the stack

Preemptive Bolt
R
Instant
Counter target creature spell with toughness 3 or less.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

fadam posted:

What's the internal game logic behind why Fight doesn't use Last Known Information (so fizzles if one of the targets gets removed), but stuff like FTK does? Not in terms of balance or anything, but like...based on the underlying rules engine why don't they work the same way? It's an interaction we've all had to deal with a billion times, but I just realized I can't come up with a good explanation for why other than "it just does."

The reason they don't work the same way in the underlying rules engine is that the comprehensive rules section defining Fight includes a clause (701.12b) that says nothing happens unless they're both still alive and haven't stopped being legal targets. Without that clause (i.e. based solely on what the reminder text for Fight says), dead creatures would be able to still fight.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

There's already a punisher red counterspell and nobody remembers it because it's not very good

There's also a couple of blue-hate red counterspells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

You can easily remember Outlaws with the mnemonic "PRAWN", if you're willing to sometimes get confused and think one of the outlaw types is Nercenaries.