Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Silhouette posted:

I'm surprised that "if * becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it" hasn't been keyworded as Illusory or something

in addition to not being all that common, they changed how they do that to remove the "or ability" part so they wouldn't even be able to unify all the illusion cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

for removing something that has never been removable before, is there anything it could be other than emblems? any permanent is removable, anything in your hand is removable, your library is removable, your graveyard is removable

hell even things in exile are, to some degree in rare cases, removable

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TotalHell posted:

Yeah, there are cards that strip all abilities from creatures, but is this one of those weird cases where a specific ability is removed that has never specifically been targeted before? Seems possible.

There's plenty of stuff that is like all creatures lose [keyword] or the like, I think. for example: https://scryfall.com/card/mir/158/blind-fury

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

I played paper Magic a lot back in 2000-2005 or so then just recently (5-6 months ago) got into playing on Arena. Somehow I've never paid any attention to the "lore" of Magic but y'all talking about these characters makes me interested. Is there anything actually worth reading? I can't shake this feeling that it is all likely poo poo but I don't know as I do love the game.

there's a reason they charge for the cards and give the stories away for free

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Is it? Why? I've only done it once, for I:MH. I'm made to understand that it's the best route for topping off your card collection on MTGA, quick drafts and sealed events? I really enjoyed it regardless though

sealed is always better than buying packs because you're guaranteed nine packs for the price of six, but because there's no drafting your results are far more dictated by luck of the draw w/r/t your packs having bombs and enough good cards to make a two-color deck (in the colors of your bombs) than anything else

draft, you can influence how good your deck is by drafting so that your results are a lot more skill-dependent

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BioThermo posted:

the sealed entry fee is 2k gems, and going 0-3 in sealed (getting 200 gems, 3 packs, opening 6 draft packs) means you're trading 6 pack openings (one guaranteed rare/mythic wildcard from the rewards track) for the 6 extra uncommons and 30 extra commons from the draft packs. I'd wager most people would value the wildcard over the gems payout you get for fewer than 3 wins.

oh right i forgot, the cost includes all nine packs not only six. that does change the math and makes sealed only mildly better than cracking packs

you're paying 1,800 gems, you get 6 draft packs (as you say: extra uncommons and commons, half a rare wildcard less), and 3 real packs (wash). the key element though is that as sealed is highly luck-based, even assuming you're not a very good player you will tend to go 2-3 (i am not going to bother doing the distribution and just assume every time you get exactly 2 wins before getting 3 losses) which gives you an additional 400 gems (600 total)

so you will tend to be doing better than buying packs (as long as, as goferchan noted, you are doing it early enough you don't need dupe protection). but you might as well do it a few times if you plan to spend gems cracking packs, because you get a bit of a discount and some free limited games out of it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

whydirt posted:

I do wonder how intricate their internal reprint equity system is. Like do they have spreadsheets of cards and current market prices or is it all winks and nudges to guard against leaks that would make them look bad.

their lawyers have certainly told them to do no such thing because it's not just leaks that could get them in trouble, its discovery in a lawsuit (or a governmental investigation) where they would have to turn it over

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Looks like 4 bucks for a MP copy on TCGPlayer lol. Is that the most expensive card in the set?

the value of fallen empires is actually in its commons so a box is probably worth a lot more than a set

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

t1 dark ritual -> hypnotic specter was the poo poo

also loved me some hymn to tourachs

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The World Inferno posted:

Possibly my favorite old card, if only because I totally played with this specific version of the card that omitted the 'until end of turn'. So, naturally, I'd play this and it'd grow by 3 power every turn til I could swing in with a big boy.

I got an antiquities millstone and thought because it didn’t have the tap symbol I could use it as many times as I wanted

No I still didn’t ever mill anyone out successfully but I thought it mattered :smith:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

lol why the gently caress am i getting these strays.

you should play premodern... Deadguy Ale is actually a deck.

has no hymn to tourachs in it, is garbage

(at least the version i found on the internet since I never heard of this before)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this strikes me as a lawyer’s fault in some way, ether there’s a legal issue or there could be one and someone isn’t interested in risking it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It took until the third set, though the first card to explicitly remove something from the game then bring it back was Icy Prison in Ice Age.

oubliette was the first, though they have since changed it from removed from game to phased out so they could reprint it with readable text

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

aww man i just noticed the alchemy changes

soulhearder + inquisitor captain was just ever so much fun, especially backed up by ephemerate

"oh sorry im gonna barf out at least one creature every turn for no mana, often the one i most need"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

that makes me wonder about something: does mirror gallery make legendary sorceries lose the legendary nonsense?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

I hope they do something with the climactic finale or whatever where it allows them to revisit the legendarily lovely old sets and reimagine them with actual balance. Fallen Empires and Homelands, But Good :v:

reprint hymn to torach into standard

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

WOTC has hosed up standard so much that they banned THREE CARDS and the arena ladder at plat and mythic is the same exact decks as it was before lol

i mean how many people are going to really start creating seriously new decks based on some bans when a new set is dropping in two weeks

you take your pet deck and just try to make it still work and futz around for two weeks instead of brewing something entirely new

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Nah this isn't right. The volume of games being played on arena is so large that if there were other viable decks, people would find them. I'm sure people are trying to make new stuff, the format is just stale and bad. Hopefully the new set shakes things up.

you're not asking has anyone found a new deck

you are asking have people found that new deck, all the people who netdecked a good deck that ate a ban found their new deck, and decided to burn wildcards to make it with a new set two weeks away

i have an izzet dragon deck that used epiphany before. i have switched to playing historic instead of trying to tweak it, even though im sure someone somewhere came up with a new deck im not even gonna bother to look for it right now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Is the rules change a vehicle cannot crew itself, or that you can’t crew an already crewed vehicle?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Magic Underwear posted:

Crew now requires you to tap OTHER creatures, so the first thing you said.

thanks. so if you want to randomly recrew a vehicle you can still do it, i guess (for those upon crewing bonuses, or just to tap arbitrary creatures). that does make it seem like the real issue is getting around dumbos like me getting upset on arena because of a misclick.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Nastier Nate posted:

did my first draft RW samurai and it felt like it just didn't come together. One card i absolutely love though is experimental synthesizer. Just oodles of incremental value

My RW deck really came together but the double strike equipment was the real mvp of it so it may not be repeatable.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I ordered a Crimson Vow gift box off of Amazon since its the only place I can find a decent price on them and I like to but a single fat pack per set. When it arrived, the box had been opened, the die and collectors pack was missing and all the boosters were obviously resealed.

Was I unlucky or is that just a thing that happens now?

It seems pretty common on Amazon unfortunately if you look at comments. Amazon has a huge counterfeit problem and due to how they store inventory you can’t even get around it by buying from known good sellers or Amazon itself.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

flatluigi posted:

I'm generally in favor of cards having flavorful names and printing 'Bant Triome' is very much not flavorful, especially if you're putting it in a set where Bant doesn't even exist

also again even if you don't give a poo poo about standard they clearly wanted the cards in a standard set, not tacked into the LOTR set or whatever (that's not even out)

have they ever reprinted rare dual lands in different plane sets (besides core sets) besides the one time it happened in ixlan? who cares about reprinting them in other sets given they don't ever do that anyway?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

I for one don't need a set to have a themed mechanic. I just want cool cards to play with.

the last non-core set i am aware of that did not have a themed mechanic was homelands

i recall trying to make homelands cards fun to play with. i did not succeed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Qwertycoatl posted:

It looks pretty cut and dried to me? The ability to cast from exile is part of the ability that exiles it as a cost, so if you exiled it some other way you didn't activate the ability so you don't get to cast it from exile.

the quirk i see is if the card is removed from exile some other way, does the land ability go away or not. this seems like an extremely unlikely corner case to ever matter

seems clear to me if the card is exiled in another way it doesn't gain the "can be cast from exile" ability

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

Funnily enough i think this is the cheapest white card draw available

It’s a professor of symbology so it’s not more powerful than what already exists.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kashuno posted:

It seems really good but I wonder how many times I will be in a position to spend 2BB and 2 life and then not have the creature stick around in limited.

you get a card out of it. repeatable 2bb+2 life = card seems pretty good even if your opponent has a 4/4 fatty sitting around waiting to block

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

LifeLynx posted:

Magic designers are getting way too "clever" about templating cards. They want a card to do this cool thing, but there's no clean way to write this relatively simple effect under the current templating rules, so they end up with this Magic Programming Language thing that in no way can be parsed by someone new to the game. As bizarre as some Alpha wording was, we've come out the other end of it where it takes seven lines of text explain things.

i think someone asked maro about this on his blog and his explanation made perfect sense, which was basically "look we've been doing this for 25 years, the simple and fun stuff was all done a decade ago"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Party Miser posted:

how much would it break the game to have any card be placed face down could be a waste? it wouldn't eliminate the need for lands to produce colored mana.

the hidden thing lands do to make the game more fun is give the chance for a winning deck to whiff on a few draws and let the loser get back into the game, so people always feel like they've got a chance

the more you reduce the need to have lands in your deck, the more that goes away

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the high-level hasbro execs who are in charge of their earnings-per-share are not going to be involved in demanding specific changes to magic to make more revenue. they will give orders down the chain to the appropriate people, who will discover they have been tasked with revenue growth of 20% for next year, and told to figure it out themselves. their boss may prod them on some ideas but the hasbro CEO isn't going to be demanding power creep in a magic expansion. people are just not really grasping the level of granularity various levels of execs are going to be operating on, and implementing revenue growth will get delegated down to someone who will have some idea what works and what doesn't.

power creep in expansions seems to cause a lot of problems that hurt (not help) sales in standard-legal sets. MH-style power-creeping out eternal formats with new cards certainly seems on the table because it's a way to monetize formats that can't be monetized now (but that ship has already sailed).

it's busting the reserved list, a stupid decades-old mistake, that is the easy BREAK GLASS TO HIT EARNINGS thing, not "tell the card designers to make the next standard set more powerful"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Ob Nixilis ate my balls

the copy died immediately as a state-based action

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

how's this for a rakdos draft deck? anything not worth keeping in?

extract the truth might not be incredible in draft but it's certainly hosed me over many times already by plucking some real nice later game critter before I can cast it(titan of industry, girder goons, etc) so I want to keep one in

Midnight assassins are surprisingly not that good. They’re not horrible but if you have something you feel like putting in the second is a decent cut.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

im guessing we have some confusion about who "he" is in the statements at issue and that the dispute is entirely about confusion over that

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

flatluigi posted:

i'll be happy when i see it actually get to happen. too much anti-union talk is dressed up as 'we respect everyone's rights and love our employees, we just want to really make sure they're well-informed and can make the Correct Decision :) :) :)'

they're definitely doing that:

quote:

The question of whether or not to create a Card Kingdom union should not be up to us. Along with our co-owner James Buckley, we represent only three voices within the company. Particularly because Washington state is not a right-to-work state, we want to ensure that all employees who would be part of a union have the opportunity to represent their individual interests and opinions on the matter.

With the petition to the NLRB, the decision to create a union will now be in the hands of our employees through a secret ballot vote. Regardless of the result, we are here to support our employees. Our interest and intent are to transparently provide information about our policies and practices, so our employees feel confident when making this decision.

that said they seem to be soft-pedaling it, which is an improvement over the norm

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

litany of gulps posted:

Thanks for this tip! That sounds a lot easier than typing everything in manually to check values.

I'd have to take some time to catalog things before making a decision about selling. I don't have kids, I'm debt-free, and I've got a decent job. I'm a little surprised by how high the valuations of some of these are, but I haven't been entirely ignorant of the fact that Magic cards have been getting more and more valuable. poo poo, I've got two copies of the Hero Quest board game, also. I'm disappointed that it hasn't matched MTG prices. You know, funny thing is, I know at least four guys that probably have similar collections sitting in their garages.

Hah! That seems to be the consensus.

I mean, if you woke up today and had inherited $10k but all the cards vanished, would you go out and buy new copies of them? If not, you should probably sell. You can easily keep some of the ones you really like as keepsakes but man, take the cash and run.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chakan posted:

So I understand there are some cards that aren’t getting released on MTGO, but I don’t remember seeing anything from wotc as to why. Does anyone have an answer or a link handy? I tried looking but I’m not certain what cards aren’t being added so it’s hard to find because searching just reminds me that there are cards that were never added to mtgo from long ago.

it's usually that certain sets were never implemented. this is because (a) they predate MTGO (for example, arabian nights); (b) they were supplemental sets/products they didn't see the point in implementing (for example, Conspiracy).

they usually try to implement any cards that matter through reprint sets (most too-early cards were implemented in a set of four MTGO-only "masters" sets, then vintage masters) or treasure chests (the common way they implement, e.g., commander-deck only cards)

but if it wasn't in a standard-legal set since MTGO was created it's not guaranteed to be in it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Qwertycoatl posted:

My reserved list conspiracy theory is that it's the subject of a confidential contract or two with some distributers or suchlike back in the day, and it's that rather than their public statements that could get them sued. That twitter guy thinking it could destroy the company is pretty ridiculous though, I'd be astounded if there was any possibility of them getting sued for enough money to make a dent in the giant money printer that "Secret Layer: Power 9" would be. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some shady dealings and favouritism and whatnot that would come out and embarrass them.

if it was just some existing contracts with some discrete individuals or companies WOTC would have bought them out long ago - if for no other reason to keep their options open in the future.

plus, the damages those distributors could claim today if they sued would probably not be large and WOTC could just pay them off if they sued

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Another fun rabbit hole to go down is the what if of sets that were never released

For example, Spectral Chaos was in production even before Alpha was released, and had been planned to come out after Legends. Afraid that players would not want another multi-color themed set back to back, it ended up shelved, and while elements were incorporated into later sets, it was never released.

A fan reconstruction is available here: https://thechaosorb.com/SpectralChaos/

There are some banging cards and concepts that would have been wild in 1995

The reconstructors did a great job transforming the playtest wording into more modern styles, and it's interesting to see some concepts that later evolved

its a loving crime this was shelved while homelands was allowed to be released

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A Moose posted:

The thing is, instead of just regular ramp, it's cost reduction, which gets better the more you use it. AND this can reduce the cost to 0, which cost reduction usually can't. Red has a lot of good 1-mana permanents that shouldn't cost 0. Green has a lot of 1-mana elves. Maybe not in standard, and probably not strong enough for modern, but I bet at least one of these gets played.

The red one could let you drop a free Experimental Synthesizer, Rabbit Battery, Kumano Faces Kakkazan etc. All in 1 turn even!

yeah but you could drop all of those on the previous turn and save 6 life, because the red guy costs you four mana

turning a one mana spell into a zero mana spell on turn 4 and on doesn't strike me as particularly good unless it's a combo piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

IDK, Turning Grinning Ingnis into R: 1 damage to any target seems powerful to me.

yeah, it's a combo piece and can be good in that. just not in a "oh i can cast all my one-drops i draw on turns 5 and on for two life instead!" sense