Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm hoping Jared Harris does his Belter accent from the Expanse randomly in one the episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

duz posted:

The costume design really made me excited for the new Dune movie.

I loved the big beautiful glorious clone emperor mural.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

To me it's sort of telling that the big beautiful space emperor clones seemed more more memorable than any of the main character from the first 2 episodes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

After watching the first 2 episodes it has problem with none of the lead characters not being a "hook" for me liking the show.

You have the whiny chosen one moments, which just makes me wish for more the crazy clone emperor scenes since Lee Pace was
really great in the role.

Plus they take a main character off the board way too early this series.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Lee Pace was great.

And I wouldn't worry too much about that last point.

It was a cool concept with the clone emperors and also characterizing the same person at different stages in life.

Like how Day has such a level of overconfidence, arrogance and belief at other client states in the empire don't have choice.

similar to how people in their 20s feel that are invincible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F35_VNUNoeA

etalian fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 26, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

You know the Foundation sub-plot is going to be thrilling when the most recent episode spent time on a work Budget discussion scene.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hari Seldon did Trantor's version of 9/11.

Separatists bombs can't melt space elevator beams.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The real reason the planets got nuked is there weren't impressed by the big beautiful Space Emperor Mural.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CornHolio posted:

Really liking the visuals so far. I don't think the mechanics of space travel was really mentioned in the books, was it? It seems to generate a black hole or something and then use that to traverse time and space. Interesting and it makes me wonder if it's cribbed from a different Asimov work. I've read a decent amount of his works but it's been awhile and I don't remember anything like that.

They should have got Sean Bean to play Hari Seldon if they were gonna kill him in the first season.

Sean Bean's death had more impact since even though it later become a GOT cliche, you actually got know his character for multiple before he outwitted and killed in the finale episode.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ymgve posted:

Can anyone explain why the emperor made the painter dude go splat when the Empire has guns precise enough to sever your spine but still keep you alive? I'd assume those same guns could kill him just as well without making that mess.

What's the point of having a Science Fiction setting if the Ray Guns don't make people explode?

Even if the series ends up being a dud I do admire how it tried to take on a unfilmable source material in which a majority of the original books was character conversations and also something that happens over a massive timespan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I have to say I haven't seen such good art design for a sci-fi show since The Expanse. It's both retro and novel, and impeccably done.

Lots of art deco design inspiration as well.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I didn't get that impression at all. The way Day reacted when Dusk spoke to the diplomats suggested that this was a change in Dusk's attitude and behaviour, not how he'd always been. And when Dawn asked the robot how often Empire chooses the harshest option, she said "every time", which suggested to me that when Dusk was Day, he did the same kind of thing and so did all his predecessors, and most likely so will Dawn and all his successors. That seemed like it was establishing that the point of the three emperors was that Dawn learns to be Day and Day is replaced before he can turn into Dusk, and that it works as intended.

Plus the roast of the trial about being "wine from the same type of grape" at the trial was implying that main intention of the cloning system was to keep a business of usual like attitude for how the empire is run at the top.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Dusk would probably have been the better emperor.

Most of the dynamic is pretty much Day doing whatever he wants since Dawn is too green to have any power and Dusk is sort of doormat character for Day.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The best thing with clones since that Arnold movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcK-My1j9Hg

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

All this pearl clutching about how they're absolutely ruining Foundation with zero evidence is both amusing and a stark reminder why most TV IV threads are a waste of bandwidth.

We'll you know if the TV show source material is based on a actual book it's going to be a clusterfuck of a discussion.

It's not the way it happened in the the book and here's multiple spoiler text posts about what happened in future books.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The show creators decided to do a one episode week schedule since they enjoy reading these types of online discussions and speculation.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I don't like how Hari is pronounced "Harry".

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

When you think about it being part of the Foundation is like being in Space Qanon.

Trust in the Plan!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

duz posted:

I assumed it was being treated more as a monument to himself than it was a useful technology.

It was just so Brother Day clones can make a tacky Tupac hologram greeting to show off.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Or maybe people are just doing other things. In any case, reading the books is not a requirement for watching the show, so just put book stuff in spoiler text.

Book Knowledge braggers should be exiled to a separate thread.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well at least the whole death ray vaporization retirement plan solves the age old problem of getting the classic "you never call your grandparents' or "you'll miss when i'm gone" shaming....

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blowdryer posted:

the romance between gaal and raych is so awful. there was no character building to get you invested in these two, let alone to get to the point where you are excited about them getting together. then it felt like they just forced a million love scenes in to fill the run time of the episode.

Also the relationship had zero believable chemistry which makes those romance scenes even more cringe

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

On the other hand, that's some authentic Asimov characterization.

Where's the book spoiler text for this info?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

My favorite parts continue to be the adventures of the Cleons.

It's like the Clone version series ofreality TV shows like Big Brother.

Which clone will be forced to "leave" the house next.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

No. That's showing the clones diverging in personality. The young Cleon is meant to ape the motions, actions, and words of the older generations in order to condition him to be as similar as possible to them. This Brother Dawn is proving to be deviant in that regard. It's showing that despite all efforts, each of these men is not the same, no matter how hard they try. Much like the argument between Day and Dusk, it's highlighting the fracturing of the emperor's singularity of rule, not a physical flaw in the cloning. This is reinforced with him being slow on the uptake several times in the episode, learning to act like the others .

Yeah plus the previous episodes established that the whole point of the "lazy Susan" rotation was due to the original Cleon seeing the clone system as a way to add in consistency and predictably to the whole autocratic government. After all piles of real world autocratic government fell apart due to lack of heirs or the follow-up heirs to the kingdom being huge gently caress-ups.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

The previous Brother Dusk got his gross old man cooties all over the new Brother Dawn and messed up his gestation.

The clone concept of "safe sex" was pretty hilarious, lowering the Clone Emperor Force field.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's pretty amusing how all the prestige competition HBO shows can't get things like
-characters
-Casting/acting
-meaningful plot and character development progression (the biggest problem with the show after 4 episodes)

Along with missing how you only have a few episodes to hook people on the show if they aren't book knowledge braggers

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Imagine next episode will be another stage of Empire meltdown

Brother Day's mission to rig the next space pope election goes south due to his lack of diplomatic and leverage.

Brother Dawn continues his Elliot Rogers type creepy stalker and incel behavior with the gardener chick

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think Brother Day's gonna end up dead, wrecking the whole plan for how the clones govern and thrusting the woefully unprepared Brother Dawn into the role. It would fit with how Hari said they needed to break the cycle of clone emperors to delay the fall.

Yeah worse case he could end up either killed or imprisoned due to botching his attempts to rig the next pope election.

The recent episode also highlighted how they both noticed something was off for Brother Dawn since he's afflicted by emo behavior.

Imagine he Brother Dawn will get killed or find a way to get killed after getting caught doing the cyber stalker behavior on the gardener chick.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

In this episode we had one character set up an AA gun and another character get into an airplane. I think something's gonna happen there.

The big gun was probably because the invaders were hoping to take down the fence the brute force way by shelling it with that artillery thing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Data Graham posted:

PRESENT DAY

*cuts to a kid in Reseda making a TikTok video, Hari Seldon pops through a rift in space-time and says "there's no time Morty, psychohistory is real, take the Orb" and disappears*

A future episode will have a Tupac Shakur hologram giving a 1 hr lecture on psychohistory.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

External Organs posted:

Definitely crushing on Lee Pace.

Lee Pace really has a monopoly for the toned, extra crazy space tyrant roles.

Terrence Mann is also really good at brother dusk role for the subtle acting he does to incorporate the unique story from his previous "Brother Day" history.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Total Meatlove posted:

You saw in the latest episode that him playing the present Brother Day as a conflicted child brought up into a crumbling empire. I think he's done a good job of it personally.

Yeah it's a unique touch with how each actors plays their character slightly different to reflect the different experiences for each new clone.

Like how the current Brother Dusk has a resentment building up over being sidelined and also getting called out for his previous hot headed decisions like deciding to glass multiple plants.

I know nerds like to get spun up on whether psychohistory has any practical but to me it will always be cheesy, the more interesting part is going to things how the seemingly invincible empire was brought down over time due to issues such as stagnation.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hari Seldon's biggest mistake was not leaving behind the pair of special glasses to read the golden tablets.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I wish psychohistory was real so it could warn us about about tedious TVIV posts

Hari Seldon: It begins with a few book bragger posts on the border of the bad thread. Then next when barbarians point out how the show didn't change their life like Game of Thrones.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Imagining this show with Zizek cast as Hari now :lol:

and so on and so on....

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I mean, most of the posts in this thread are talking about how the show actually sucks. The only real praise has been Lee Pace.

People are only excited about those Space Tyrant gains

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xealot posted:

I'm sticking with it because I know the source material is beloved, but I often find myself missing The Expanse, where people have very different outlooks and goals that make sense, they behave in extremely human ways, and the setting feels vibrant and populated.

Yeah it's sort of amusing to me how the tyrant space dad clone family is more memorable and has actual character development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

He'll totally get owned.

Luckily the empire has an ILP Machine (Infinite Lee Paces), and a new one will be along shortly to fill in.

The Lee Pace Expanded Universe