Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

MeinPanzer posted:

Moving chat:

There's a distinct possibility that my wife and I are going to have to move from Fife, Scotland to Exeter in January. Unfortunately, while my wife has her driver's license here, I don't yet (I'm Canadian and have to take a driving test to switch my license to a UK one, but COVID delays have meant that I can't any time soon). This pretty much rules out us renting a truck and then moving that way, so I'm considering pod or container delivery services.

Has anyone had experience with moving within the UK via pod or container delivery? Any advice, either in how to proceed or what companies are good/bad?

Used to drink with a lot of the Pickfords drivers and they were decent sorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Carrier posted:

This has been doing my head in all morning. Just infuriatingly useless "advice" that would have done approximately gently caress all for Sarah. Everything about this poo poo is so awful.

It would have given the police more reasons to blame her for being a victim

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is a primary school with maybe a hundred pupils, I doubt they have much internal use for a UPS of any capacity.

You can look up Planned Service Interruptions and outages on the UKPN website here;

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/power-cut/map

Looks like there was an outage on the Isle of Dogs earlier today? From memory you're around that way.

For clarity - the way that fines are calculated by Ofgem for outages means that DNO's are absolutely incentivised to use generation to backfeed customers and keep lights on. £13 for each UPRN off, £15/hour for every hour after that stacks up quickly, especially in incredibly built up environments. Might have been that there was an outage, they've backfed from generators and then fixed the main fault?

Total Meatlove fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 4, 2021

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

At least all of the decaying soviet era architecture has an ephemeral beauty to it, we're stuck with the deflation of the millennium dome and whatever 20,000 student accommodation towers will melt into.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

Actually surprised that to Tories aren't going bigger with the minimum wage, seems like a slam-dunker after Labour tearing itself to shreds last week.

They can't go too hard, or some journalists might do their job and ask why the National Living Wage isn't just tied to the actual, Living Wage, which would mean they lose control over when they dole out the pennies to an extent.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

As a general rule, inform your landlord of anything you think affects the envelope of the building.

“Hi, just to let you know, there was a fire in the block in flat X, Fire Brigade have cleared us as OK to be in the building”

Everything after that is for them to deal with, and part of renting is not having to follow up on any of the other poo poo.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Buy tranches of land and housing currently used for piss poor and lovely housing, replace it with better, roll that programme through the country.

Also monorails.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

I haven’t used my switch since Animal Crossing dropped because of this

Switch games and second hand Lego are the only reason to keep facebook.

Mario Lego is a special crossover hell.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Parking a Type 45 in the harbour and then building New Jerusalem on the rock would probably be of a net benefit to world peace, given that to sustain it you'd need close agricultural ties to the nearest continent and all the boomers would die off fast given the conditions.

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1447582789382123529

Going by their past record, the Labour Party is going to end up giving Seumas Milne a million quid and a role of president for life.

Keith's gonna have to argue why these whistleblowers are bad, but the Panorama ones deserved payoffs, and not reveal any detail about the report into the report. :lol:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

There's not been a single case of fentanyl poisoning of cops anywhere in the world has there? I know it's a favourite claim of the boys in blue stateside to make the world seem scarier.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Reminds me of the people who loved the Tricorn centre and never wanted it pulled down, but didn't actually live anywhere near it and couldn't smell the piss.

Total Meatlove fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 12, 2021

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

1970s vision of a central court with shops and barbers so the people only need to get a lift down to get anything you need quickly deteriorates into many open air toilets and one spar charging £1.76 for an Apple.

It makes me wonder what the estates currently being built will deteriorate into. All well and good paying £2m for a 3 bed 2 bath in Battersea now, but when the only human level thing in the place is a lovely plaza with planting what happens when it goes?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

People getting nuclear weapons *and* pasties wrong on the same page? It's like you're ganging up on me.

The isle of dogs is just a peninsula with ideas above its station

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No argument from me here, "Isle of Dogs" is a post-war marketing scheme name anyway.

Had to give you something

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

sinky posted:

love2 hand a cop my unlocked phone when they want to see my driving license.

You don't have to unlock your phone with either of the big two OS'es in countries where they have electronic ID as an option.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

They’re building a giant new hanger for border processing at the Portsmouth port and it’s gonna gently caress everything up

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If Thomas Telford had just a bit of foresight we *could* ship ISO containers along the canals but the big idiot only made his locks 7 feet wide. I'm glad we named such a poo poo town after him.

Dig for victory 2

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

I'll wait until the Squamish build their mega complex, then move when the city have realised it's a genius idea.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/senakw-squamish-first-nation-vancouver-rental-housing-development

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Move where? This is a First Nation thing being built on First Nation land as part of a ongoing project to house the next five generations.

Some of those units are going to be made available outside of the First Nations afaik.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Nope, literally the last thing they want is white people fighting over subsidised First Nation housing on First Nation land* - what it is is if they can’t find enough Senakw then it will be opened up to other Squamish Nation and then the wider First Nation.

*I have a First Nation friend who went absolutely batshit the other day over this.

That's awesome. I hope it works to prove that the zoning requirements are hosed and opens up opportunity for other developments that mirror it in that case.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

What do they want? Insulation in housing?

Yer our housing stock is absolutely shite

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've seen that pic somewhere recently. Probably some £200 per head meal somewhere.

Oh yeah, some English / Mexican fusion place. Apparently it cost £70!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :faintingincoils:

There’s a particular strain of benevolent racism that this picture invokes in Americans, whereby no Mexican person can want to cook it using modern equipment or techniques or in fusion with other cuisines or traditions, and everything must be tex-mex. sort of similar to the people who’d look at a gymkhana menu and say ‘but I can get a £5 vindaloo at the spice of Asia so why do they need to that?’

Looks tasty. Gonna have to add it to the post plague hope it stays open list

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I think specifically that is supposed to be "fusion mexican" that uses only ingredients local to london.

Which I would suggest is not really very mexican?

But the food is cooked by a Mexican head chef who is big on the field to fork philosophy, so it couldn’t be anything else?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I would suggest that if I went to say, japan, and tried to cook something using ingredients I could source there, it would not be "english food" despite it being cooked by an anglo.

Like I think if you refer to food by a place you are usually referring to the food that is prepared commonly in that place, and to transplant it to another place you would have to transfer both the preparation knowledge and at least some of the ingredients.

If you opened a restaurant that had a beef and teriyaki pudding I’d try it. And say that it was definitely an English-fusion dish?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

LGD posted:

In this case I'd assume it has less to do with some sort of weird rejection of the extent to which pretty much every major cuisine changed in the 15th-16th centuries, and either more to do with their particular "farm to table" philosophy and the realities of running a restaurant (i.e. it doesn't matter that citrus can be successfully grown in the U.K. if it isn't readily available for purchase at an acceptable standard in a sufficiently large quantity), or (more cynically) because it's a helpful marketing gimmick to upsell food as high end while simultaneously anglicizing it into a presumably more marketable/palatable blandness (a suspicion not helped by the origin and framing of the photo).

The menu has non-UK native ingredients though, the reaction seems to be entirely based off one American guys tweet and not looking at a menu that contains a shedload of traditionally Mexican peppers that probably grew in Sussex.

You can see some of what I originally talked about in the replies to that tweet.

Still think it looks tasty :reject:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

feedmegin posted:

There isn't some magical attribute of avocados that means you can only grow them in California, ours often come from Spain. At what point do you draw the line of 'it has to be this local or not be used' because if every restaurant is reliant on literally their own back garden then no doubt that's very worthy but you're going to get some very limited food.

Why would it be limited food?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

That Raab feels confident enough to attack the Council of Europe now is loving terrifying.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Caveating this with the understanding that violence against women has historically been underplayed, this ‘current epidemic of injection spiking incidents’ that appears to have been accepted entirely - has there been a documented case yet? It has all the trappings of a WhatsApp moral panic and it seems like it’s gone 0-100 almost instantly.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Someone has been arrested for it in Nottingham after multiple reported cases, and it's something that has been going on for over a decade.

I saw that someone had been arrested, but I don’t know if that was definitely in conjunction with the reports.

Had honestly never heard of it before this week.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Vice have done some actual journalism about the spiking incidents, read here;

Seems that injection spiking doesn’t pass the smell test but something’s likely happened to the poor women involved.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxdenq/heres-what-we-know-about-reports-of-women-being-spiked-with-needles-in-uk-clubs

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Doccykins posted:

the palace didnt tell journos about phil until 5 to midday for a midday release, they are likely to maintain the same level of backward traditionalism for the personification of Catagory One

They don’t get a choice, when she goes* to the great throne in the sky there’s too many other cogs start turning. Philip ultimately didn’t matter.

*is gently pushed by her doctors

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Also fair play to Barbados seeing this poo poo storm coming and jumping the gently caress out of its way

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

She enables her noncey son to avoid justice for his noncery, gently caress her and bury all her horses with her

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

For those wondering, your most recent bill from your energy supplier will have a letter in the top right corner, which is the code from the local DNO for your MPAN and the zone in which you are placed for rolling black start procedures. If you’re A you get leccy from 8-9 & 6-7, B 9-10 & 7-8 and so on etc.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Football pubs are what keep our lucrative football kit framing industry solvent and you should be celebrating a British export success story

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

goddamnedtwisto what's your thoughts on London

you've got to more specific, London as in within the M25 or London as in the historic boroughs?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Sanford posted:

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts. I’ve had a couple of suggestions to see if we can do it through the local food banks so I might try that. I’ll ignore the fact that two villages with a combined population under 3,000 need a food bank each.

The reason I’ve gone through the schools previously is they generally just know when families need some support. For comparison, last year the school in the next village over divvied it up between six families and privately invited the parents in one by one to order a load of poo poo from Amazon, one of the teachers volunteered to do it with them. A guy I know who’s wife died of covid and is permanently flat broke beamed as he told me and various dads how he managed to “sort out” a scooter for his lad for Xmas (as said lad zoomed round and round us on said scooter) and I think that was probably part of it.

At the school I went to, in a village a few miles away, the head called me and said they had a family where mum is working two jobs, dad is disabled, two kids and they’d had to take in three non-sibling cousins following multiple deaths in the family. The head (unnecessarily) asked to give them almost the full amount and again, worked with the mum to order everything from turkey to tree, presents, decorations, even a small chest freezer to keep everything in and a trip out to see Santa at some local event thing.

In both cases the schools told the parents they had access to a local charity fund, and left it at that. None of the kids or other parents knew anything about it, and all the gifts were from the parents (or Santa) to the kids and that’s as far as anyone needed to know. I hope that clarifies why I was a bit aggrieved with the “everyone gets a book” thing. I am somewhat specific in what I donate for, but the schools are always welcome to decline and I make that clear when I write to them. No-one has ever declined and generally the head or a deputy facilitate it and enjoy doing so. It breaks my loving heart to think of a kid with literally nothing to play with on Christmas Day, just a single box of Playmobil or something can make all the difference and “everyone got a book in assembly on December 15th” just doesn’t cut it. I’ve also just realised this is the only time ever someone has come back to us and said “more please”!

Yer your way is the better one and the book school hosed up.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The Times are (badly) reporting that the governments ban on LGBT conversion therapies is watered down enough that religious bigots have got ‘we were just praying the gay away’ loopholes to drive through, but is worded ambiguously enough that it could/will target Mermaids.

The Times" url="https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/urging-change-gender-criminalised-trans-rights-lgbtq-0vw7trcj2 posted:

Adults who try to persuade children to change their gender will face criminal sanctions under government plans.

From next spring it will be illegal to convince someone to change their sexuality or gender identity, with extra safeguards to protect adolescents.

Government sources suggested that organisations such as Mermaids, a charity that offers advice and counselling to children with gender dysphoria, could be outlawed. Trans rights groups said that the proposals risked having a “chilling effect” on free speech.

Under the proposals, medical professionals such as psychiatrists and doctors will escape sanctions. Informal advice sought from family and friends will also not be criminalised. However, all other counselling offered to children under 18 will be outlawed and adults will have to consent to take part in…lovely paywall

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I had assumed that was the entire point of the legislation?

Not in any of the government rhetoric to date, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

What's actually going to be outlawed? "it will be illegal to convince someone to change their sexuality or gender identity" but not to change their presentation to match their gender identity, right?

There's a way of reading this that outlaws all the "no your gender identity is just something made up" terfery but not Mermaids, and it all depends in which angles it is pushed.

Is there going to be anything in there about medically coercing infants into binary gender?

This is the text of The Times article;

quote:

Adults who try to persuade children to change their gender will face criminal sanctions under government plans.
From next spring it will be illegal to convince someone to change their sexuality or gender identity, with extra safeguards to protect adolescents.
Government sources suggested that organisations such as Mermaids, a charity that offers advice and counselling to children with gender dysphoria, could be outlawed. Trans rights groups said that the proposals risked having a “chilling effect” on free speech.

Under the proposals, medical professionals such as psychiatrists and doctors will escape sanctions. Informal advice sought from family and friends will also not be criminalised. However, all other counselling offered to children under 18 will be outlawed and adults will have to consent to take part in therapy. The laws will be introduced after a consultation.

Although the decision to ban gender identity counselling is controversial, the protections for gay and lesbian people have been welcomed. LGBT+ campaigners have long called for a ban on gay conversion therapy. Under the practice, religious groups try to “cure” gay people through prayer or counselling. In extreme cases individuals have beeen subjected to violence or “corrective rape”. Judges will be asked to hand down longer sentences for such crimes.

The government will also give courts the power to seize the passports of under 18s who are at risk of being taken out of the country. The new Conversion Therapy Protection Orders will work in a similar way to an existing scheme that allows officials to intervene on behalf of children at risk of female genital mutilation or forced marriage.

Liz Truss, the equalities minister, said that LGBT+ people deserved to live their lives free from the threat of harm or abuse. “There should be no place for the abhorrent practice of coercive conversion therapy in our society,” she said.
“I want everyone to be able to love who they want and be themselves. Today’s announcement sets out how we will ban an archaic practice that has no place in modern life.”
The case of Keira Bell, a 24-year-old woman who began taking puberty blockers as a teenager before later detransitioning, is understood to have influenced Truss’s decision to include gender identity counselling in the ban. Bell met Kemi Badenoch, a junior equalities minister, this year.

Stephanie Davies-Arai, director of Transgender Trend, a group of parents, professionals and academics troubled by the trend to diagnose children as transgender, said that the new laws could threaten legitimate discussions.
She said: “This may have a chilling effect on therapists working with children with gender dysphoria unless there are clear, specific protections built into the bill.” Nancy Kelley, chief executive of Stonewall, welcomed the “huge step forward” on gay conversion therapy but urged the government to go further on prayer and support for victims.
“We also can’t support the proposals for people to ‘consent’ to conversion therapy — a practice that is abusive cannot be consented to,” she said.

So;

• Ban gay/lesbian/bisexual conversion therapy in the UK - Good
  • Ban gay/lesbian/bisexual conversion therapy in the UK, but introduce the concept that a person could potentially consent to that therapy and therefore it's OK - Awful
  • Introduce Protection Orders for children at risk of being sent abroad - Good
  • Conflating Mermaids with conversion therapy - Bad
  • Because 1&3 will impact 4, potentially introduce CTP Orders for parents looking to take their trans kids to places with trans affirming care. Awful
  • Transgender Trend worried because their reading of the bill would, potentially, stop them from counselling children who are trans (now without support) - Given the specific reference to Mermaids being made by government sources - I highly doubt it, but chalk that up to good
  • Kemi Badenoch meeting with Keira Bell and TERF's being disproportionately represented within politics and media - Awful
  • Not sure where 'go further on prayer' comes from but I worry that there will be some level of religious exemption given everything is shite and we live in hell times.

keep punching joe posted:

My cat grew up on the streets of Govanhill, fireworks do not faze her one iota.

The vacuum cleaner on the other hand sends her to the top of the bedroom wardrobe.

Scottish, not fazed by a fiery and explosive atmosphere but runs away from cleaners? Is your cat Nicola Sturgeon?