Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

isn't this the fake twitter account. like, there are two very similar ones right?

or are they both fake? i honestly can't loving tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

kingturnip posted:

Or maybe - along with lorry drivers - this is actually Secret Marxist Boris Johnson's plan to drive up wages and re-nationalise the care sector. Fire so many staff that recruiting is impossible without massively raising wages - which no care provider can afford without it hitting their profits - and then nationalise them when the firms announce their pulling out.

What. Obviously it's the opposite.

Gradually reduce NHS funding to zero so it can't perform, then point to the failure and say "see, it needs to be privatised". While doing this, use the money saved from the funding reduction to gradually also increase payments to the private sector, which will take over more and more NHS tasks, while doing a completely inadequate job but obviusly generating lots of profit. When the time is ripe, full privatisation will have been nearly achieved already, at a massive cost to the taxpayer and the general public.

e: watch literally everybody in the UK media swallow the "it's failing, obviously this is because it's publicly funded, therefore obviously it needs to be privatised in order to not fail" argument hook, line and sinker

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay I'm going to go absolutely 100% :tinfoil: here because there's a lorry with a crane dropping what looks a *lot* like an industrial backup generator into the car park of the school on my estate - the box itself is unmarked (looks like a shortened ISO container) but it is the exact dimensions and has the same side doors as the ones my company uses for temporary backup when working on the UPS at our smaller data centres.

Now it could just be a coincidence and this is just some temporary storage for some building work or something but at this point in history I'm going to assume someone's dusting off some plans last updated around 1994.

One great benefit of brexit is that it gives us a useful preview of what the whole world is going to be like, permanently, once climate change-induced shortages of absolutely everything start to bite in a few years

Shame that nobody will learn absolutely anything from it though

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No, it's the sort of thing that happens when you're a post-dotcom company that thinks everything below layer 4 is pointless and the Real Work is in using a megabyte of Javascript to slightly adjust the kerning on the fourth advert on the landing page.

(It appears to be a major fuckup in their network configuration leading to them effectively removing themselves entirely from the internet, the DNS failure being the most obvious symptom to the kind of person that thinks everything below layer 4 etc etc)

e: willing to bet a *substantial* amount of money that their network support are outsourced which is why the rollback is taking so long.

Someone somewhere on irc was saying that apparently Facebook managed to lock their sysadmins out of their networks with this, so yeah like keys in the car as was said.

Not sure how accurate all this is but apparently none of their sysops people are physically near a data centre, while the data centre people don't have the DNS knowledge etc required to fix, so it's taking a while

e: dunno about outsourced support but doesn't necessarily need to be outsourced to achieve this, just incompetence is enough :v:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

radmonger posted:

I think that it is perhaps worth pointing out that the current stated Tory environmental policy is to ban petrol cars and completely decarbonise the grid within a little over a decade. I don’t think that is a policy that the Tory party would adopt of their own free will, so presumably _something_ is making them do so. it is not particularly obvious that XR is not that thing.

I don't understand any loving thing about this sorry

Currently the Tories say that yeah we have an environmental policy sure why not, and it's basically, get rid of all the bad things you know, bring on the good things, timeline is like I dunno decade? Ish? Ok that's sorted then, now let's hit the fox hunting club.

Where exactly is any of the required action to even try to accomplish any of this? (Or, hell, anything at all, since this is after all the Tories?)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Mebh posted:

Either way the best deals I can see have 200k left to be repaid.

Can I just keep bloody remortgaging forever as long as the house prices rise to keep my interest rates low? Is that the whole scam? Because jesus after the fixed term ends the repayment prices absolutely can skyrocket... but is that only if interest rates go up massively? Are they ever going to go up? How the heck are you supposed to know any of this?

How the hell would you have 200k left to be repaid if you borrowed 150k initially? Have you been additionally borrowing a cheeky 5k a month every month or something?

But yes the whole basis of the economy these days is that if the interest rates go up even slightly, an absolute shitload of people will immediately lose their homes, or even worse, their property portfolio will now be non-profitable. So the powers that be will (most likely) do their absolute best to ensure that interest rates remain low literally forever.

Note that even though the BoE rates will remain low for eternity, that doesn't necessarily mean anything for the rates any of the banks charge, since banks are cunts and will never give you a "BoE base rate + 0.6 percentage points" type of deal, because that would be a good deal for the consumer and competition doesn't exist. However, the same political pressure to keep the actual rates low applies to some extent to the banks as well. So I wouldn't be too concerned about the interest rates tbh. The expectation is that you can just keep remortgaging every few years forever since the rates will never go up. If the rates do go up massively, then that means the whole economy is already completely hosed and you won't even have a job and there's no food in the supermarkets and no petrol in the service stations and... well yes, ok, like Brexit currently, but much much worse

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I had a deal that was Base Rate + 0.39% for the lifetime of the mortgage back in days of yore before 2008 crash. (Interest only). But my life took an unexpected twist and I chucked in work and went abroad for some years. So that was that.

Yeah I don't really understand why in places like Finland this kind of "base rate + some constant margin" kind of mortgage deal is completely ubiquituous, and here in the UK it literally doesn't exist at all any more.

This is a good example of where the economy advancing to a more progressed state means that things get more lovely for the ordinary people. The "more advanced" just means "more profit for the giant corps" and gently caress everyone else. You would think that in a place like the UK, where compared to Finland the economy is much bigger, everything is way more international and there's a lot more competition and choice and so on, someone would have the idea of offering a "base rate + constant margin" mortgage and thereby attract customers and make bank, but no. Competition truly is for suckers, as one of our modern prophets Peter Thiel preaches to us

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Some boomers are still salty about modern card licences, I'm not quite sure how that crowd is going to react to a completely digital one

they're still gonna vote tory so it doesn't matter

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hello friends, I'm looking for some info on measuring the levels of moist and damp and poo poo (well, watery poo poo) in walls and ceilings and whatnot, with the goal of trying to predict whether a given apartment is currently a mold-infested shithole or about to become one in the (relatively) near future. Is this kind of measurement possible to do by yourself? I know nothing of anything at all, but might be able to buy some fantasy gadget to measure the wetness, if a reliable one exists.

For example, here are some such devices (sorry about quality of link): https://www.humitec.fi/exotek/

Leaving aside the whole potential issue of importing gadgets from Germany or wherever during Brexit, is it realistic to dream of a device which you could just kinda tap onto a wall/ceiling/whatever, i.e. a structure made of wood (or maybe brick/concrete/something if possible), and measure the water content/humidity/moisture/something inside the structure?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I've read a few books that are in a new genre of "climate change apocalypse fiction", and whenever they get to "rewilding" as a solution, it always turns out that future humans think they can recreate "Nature" by just planting some grass and a single tree. I think of that whenever I walk by a "Green".

"climate apocalypse fiction" sounds like the most miserably lovely genre possible, since the fiction is going to be so much more optimistic than anything that will actually happen

one big hint is how "climate" isn't even the only major issue that humanity faces in the medium term

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

And the Tories and Don't Understand Politics can't have their wall now without major major blowback.

I still find this idea quite incredible that the DUP actually for real wanted to have a hard border again between Ireland and NI. Is this a real thing? Are there, say, some interviews somewhere where DUP people say (or hint) that yes they actually want(ed) a hard border? Or is it one of those things that everyone knows but which cannot be said aloud?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Antigravitas posted:

Loudly announcing 5000 visas for truckers and having to admit only 20 were processed is :discourse:

You forgot the number of lorry drivers actually required

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

This feels like it should be a commercial for something.

is that a sainsbury's plastic bag

maybe it already is :tinfoil:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

But ultimately the thing stopping it is the fact that even the most reptilian Tory is aware that the current status quo was won with literal wars, and trying to adjust them too quickly would almost certainly lead to another, and that this is bad for business and their re-election prospects.

I wish I shared your optimism on this, but I'm feeling more like "citation loving needed" on some kind of enabling act leading to an actual war.

Who would start such a war against the tories? The queen? How many divisions has she?

Or are you saying that General Sir Nonce-Royal "we would definitely coup Corbyn" Poncington and his lot would be... against the tories here? I mean, what?

Or would France suddenly invade? Or space aliens?

I dunno m8 hopefully I'm wrong

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Spangly A posted:

if someone convinced him to run for leadership and he got the nomination, he wins it easily. This is still technically possible, which is obviously a source of deep fear for everyone currently in power at labour.

Eh, I feel like bringing Corbyn back wouldn't even work at this point. From the general public's point of view he had his chance, the majority of voters still hate his guts thanks to the relentless media campaign and that campaign would only intensify further if Corbyn were to come back somehow.

Because the Labour right as dumb as rocks, obviously they don't understand this and thus are still panicing about Corbyn.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

I think if you look historically, human society is basically incapable of behaving proactively and is instead entirely reactive, it may theoretically be capable of acting in advance of a known problem but I think that would require a different form of societal organization.

Yeah I think this is pretty much one of the biggest problems we face as a species. Being proactive is simply not in our genes.

Also, because the problem is in the genes, I don't think any form of societal organisation can do very much about it either.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think I would say it is "genetic" especially as society-wide proactive behaviour is like, the definition of socially constructed.

Just because society has, on aggregate, been unable to demonstrate it hitherto doesn't mean it's biologically encoded any more than lovely gender norms are.

The question is better posed as "why and how does that happen and how can it be prevented" rather than "guess humans just have a bone in their brain that stops proactive behaviour"

When you say "society-wide", do you mean "occurs in every society everywhere ever since the beginning of time"? That's why I'm saying it's in the genes

Funnily, lack of proactiveness is not even the most perilous stupid behaviour we have in our genes anyway :v:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like it's optimistic to say there'll be any 'eco' in the fascism.

Yeah exactly

The goal of eco-fascism, as I understand it anyway, would be to actually save the human species from extinction at any cost. This will not happen. Instead it will be just ordinary fascism, and the goal will be to preserve the profits and lifestyle of the richest at any cost

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well... wiping out every person outside of your particular definition of "human" and using most of the rest to hand-tend your crops instead of wasting money and oil on tractors *would* allow the human race to last a lot longer than just shouting "carbon tax credits!" would.

You're saying eco-fascism would somehow be... well, better than just straight up "dumb" fascism? Maybe, but I don't think it matters, since even the strictest eco-fascism imaginable still won't solve the problem (and it would also be real loving bad, see the part where it says "fascism")

To be clear, all kinds of fascism are stupid poo poo for cunts and none of them will work or solve anything

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

radmonger posted:

The downside is that if we don’t hit that scenario, then we might well not fall slightly short of it, but massively so. Because then it starts to seem locally rational to start wars to avoid being the one of the countries locked out of prosperity. Which then diverts effort and attention into fighting, and rebuilding from, those wars, to the point where there is a real risk of the circle of first world countries starting to shrink.

This whole post reads as ridiculously optimistic to me. I mean, to take just one country as an example, in India alone there are more than a billion people who will literally be able to no longer live where they are a few years from now, due to climate change loving up the environment completely.

It seems pretty predictable to me that once you have literally one thousand million climate refugees, there will be wars.

It is also pretty predictable that the reaction of every non-refugee country to this will be "shoot the refugees" (i.e. more wars).

It also seems pretty predictable to me that once the world economy gets completely hosed up due to the unprecedented numbers of people getting their lives completely hosed up and becoming refugees, this will have an impact on "first world countries" whose economies will then "shrink"; where by "first world countries" I mean "literally every country" and by "shrink" I mean "get completely hosed up".

But hey, maybe electric cars will save everything 50 years from now.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Recently I've been reading the Discworld books by Pratchett. Tried them the first time many many years ago but they didn't quite work for me, probably because I picked a few at random and they are actually kind of uneven. That said, the good stuff is real, proper good. I'm just reading all of them in sequence, just got to The Fifth Elephant (number 24 in the series) and it's just the best loving book.

So far, all the Witches and City Watch stuff is worth reading for sure

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Total Meatlove posted:

you've got to more specific, London as in within the M25 or London as in the historic boroughs?

I want to know more about the rotten boroughs myself

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

How the gently caress would 700 grand be enough for any kind of snobby apartment in Notting Hill? She lives in a medium size studio flat?

Or did she buy the place in 1982?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/59949893/?featured=1&utm_content=featured_listing - here's a 3 bed mansion flat in Bayswater (and when old money tell you they live in Notting Hill they definitely actually live in Bayswater or Queensway) for £600k.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/60025946/?search_identifier=6da744008edbd6e0d0845610c42f3c31 - a more traditional Notting Hill 2-bed flat above a shot for £600k

First of those: 49 years of lease left. Def wouldn't buy

Second is a share of freehold though. Cheaper than I'd have expected for sure, has a bloody garden too, the works

What I've been thinking about personally though is places with no neighbours above or below (fully detached would be even better but can't get that in London with normal-person budget). How far would I need to go from zone 1 before townhouse slices or whatever become affordable? At least zone 3 or something I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

feedmegin posted:

Whatever happened to that 'Festival of Brexit' anyway?

Didn't that already happen