Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
You know, that lady with the kid-unfriensly dog could have solved the whole thing with some dog heelies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

teen witch posted:

AITA for applying for a transfer at work without telling my boss, because I dislike the fact that they enjoy me disciplining my co-workers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8GUcJEDNOM

I mean, have you considered not disciplining your co-workers in a way that is dehumanizing and wrong?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Zurtilik posted:

Disapproval of bf’s gaming/figurine hobby is making us both feel angry and sad

How do these people find each other? Like it's a genuine question- surely she knew about this poo poo well before they got together, and without extra context they don't seem that compatible if this is the lens with which she views his main hobby.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

therobit posted:

AITA for asking another player in Dungeons & Dragons to change the name of their character because it goes against my religion?

It's Tetragrammaton and honestly gently caress off you stupid weenie, God doesn't care

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Wrong post

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

therobit posted:

This is a Web 2.0 forum.

I hope everyone in the comments finds Yahweh.

My personal relationship with God means I get to call him Biggie Y

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I wonder why they're divorced

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

therobit posted:

Hey dumbfuck go down to the day labor agencies like two Saturdays in a row and you can pay your mother in law back if you are that loving broke.

Counter argument: MIL can fall in a well and drown

Maybe there's something to be said for both sides of the argument? :colbert:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for accidentally reporting noisy breast pumping during an exam?

Well that sucks for everyone involved. Poor lady, and it's not like the OP was aware at the time.

I think the OP is probably being a bit oversensitive and could've tried to move past it, but if you replace pumping with some dude playing an anxiety drum solo with his pencil it's understandable to raise the issue.

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 26, 2021

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

MagusofStars posted:

To those of you out there who’ve visited Japan and have money: Is Kobe beef really *that* much better than a normal high end steak? Or is it mostly marketing?

Yes, it is incredible if you can get it. I was blessed to attend a comped meal where it was probably $1000 for seven people and one of the items was a kobe beef platter and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten. All other meat I've had has not compared.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Mx. posted:

the shithouse father stories roll on

AITA for telling my dad's wife to be mad at him and not me?

Unequivocally the father is a monster and an rear end in a top hat, but the OP needs way more therapy. They are protecting a lot of hate and unfair comparison and it sounds like they still have a ton of unresolved stuff to talk about. Obviously they aren't wrong or an rear end in a top hat, but that was not enough therapy :(

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

spouse posted:

No, no, you don't understand. At the end of the therapy period she was supposed to be fixed and do what her dad says, that's what the therapy is for.

That's exactly my point. You aren't fixed. My mom died when I was 9 and I went through a lot of what that poster went through. They definitely need more work to be able to not have have this betrayal, combined with the lingering trauma of losing their mother, wreck their adult life.

Their dad is a monster and the step mom is understandably hurt and apparently doesn't have the self esteem to handle that, which is sad in itself. It's a poo poo situation all around.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

theflyingexecutive posted:

I’m clearly outnumbered here and made my case as best I could with the given information, but it’s bleak. Both sisters are clearly in the wrong for stealing and for covering up for it. The brother is rightfully outraged and is doing what he thinks is right against the injustices his sisters and family at large brought on him. However, it has and will continue to be a tremendous burden on him psychologically for the rest of his life, even if his sister getting punished makes him (and us, the audience) happy in the short term. :(

Real talk, you're absolutely right that "living well" would 100% be more of a healthy alternative for this poor guy.

unfortunately, like most humans, his tragic bitter husk lacks the Buddha's more enlightened qualities and so he's doing what he can: seeking justice through the machinery put in place (for better or worse) to help him attain that justice.

But I'm sure he would appreciate your incisive perspective on his mental health.

All he needs to understand is that

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's only a felony in the eyes of the law.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

quote:

I’m posting here because I don’t know if I made the right decision and I still have time to reverse it. I don’t want what is TECHNICALLY right, I know I can kick anyone out of my house who is an adult and not paying rent. I just want to know if I was an rear end in a top hat for this.

My brother was supposed to be watching my son (3 years old) while I was visiting family. He sent me these weird texts right before I got home until he called and explained to me he had a date come over, but she started acting really crazy and hasn’t left.

When I got back home, the girl was still there, CRYING. I tried to talk to her but she wasn’t saying anything that made sense. My brother said he didn’t do anything to her, they started hooking up and then she started freaking out. I ended up driving her home in her car and she explained things a little more to me, but not why she was so upset. She did say she just met him on Tinder, and I told her I couldn’t believe she talked a little bit with a guy on Tinder and just…went to his house? I tried to give her a safety talk but she just told me she wasn’t in the right state of mind at the time which confirmed her problem wasn’t my brother.

I told my brother I couldn’t believe he brought a stranger over when my son was there and he said he was asleep the whole time. I said I didn’t care, you can’t bring strangers over ESPECIALLY for sex when he’s supposed to be looking after my son. Then I said having a stranger over is dangerous and he said she’s an eighteen year old girl (he’s 20, not a creep), she’s not like bringing a grown man over. He did that “I’m sorry for trying to have a personal life” thing and I told him he’s leaving by the end of the week.

This morning I honestly feel pretty bad but instead of apologizing to me he’s just avoiding me. Which is making me not want to go back on what I said. AITA?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

mind the walrus posted:

This one is just sad.

Yeah. Like it would be great if everyone was super woke and see positive but unfortunately we're humans and he's having a very normal reaction to what is a lovely situation. The experiences are one thing, but "maybe I should have married him" is at best a crappy, mean joke (assuming that's not their standard style of humor)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

LanceHunter posted:

When I finally moved into a place where I had my own washer and dryer, I started switching my sheets out daily. It feels like I'm sleeping in a hotel bed every night, absolutely glorious and worth the extra bit of effort. (Also, you don't really need an unlimited supply. I have 6 sets of sheets and so each sheet still only goes in the washing machine about once a week, and they hold up to that pace of washing fairly well.)

I was gonna poo poo talk you about having so many sets of sheets and doing so much laundry because lol, who has that time, but actually I'm bitterly jealous as that sounds awesome

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

welcome to hell posted:

My boyfriend (27M) instantly jumped to conclusions about getting me gifts

Strong username / post synergy here

I sentence these people to be together until they both die

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
When I got married I asked my wife to take my name. I am a huge rear end in a top hat. 13 years of marriage later, I regret just not giving a poo poo one way or another about it.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

The Maroon Hawk posted:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

e: goddamnit

AITA: I bought my girlfriend a $800 bag and may have caused her to have a seizure

"I'm having the worst Christmas ever, and it's all because I did something I explicitly told my partner I wouldn't do! What gives???"

Yeah no that's not what this is. We're not doing gifts and someone shows up with a gift? Possible rear end in a top hat, really depends on if they have Mr Rogers level vibes of good spirits and aren't flexing.

Her response is totally disproportionate and blaming a seizure on him isn't cool at all. That's projecting like gently caress on a mostly innocent gesture. From the person already supporting your rear end.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for sending my boyfriend a bill for everything I bought for him?

Know what's cheaper than $300? Another dick. Or the glorious solitude of a house without an rear end in a top hat boyfriend.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Mx. posted:

How do I handle MIL (70F) who wants to see my child (her grandchild) while ignoring my (33F) existance?

loving burn it down op. If you ever had the moral high ground to demand that woman's head it's now

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Invisible Clergy posted:

[b]AITA for giving my younger daughter money for getting A's but not my older daughter?

Stemlord identified

quote:

I should at least give her $60 from the money she made from competitions, pageants, movies, plays, and tv shows.

This is one of those exploding red flags that showers everyone in tinier red flags

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Chloe Jessica posted:

best case scenario mom is saving the money for her for when she turns 18

worst case scenario, stemlord *and* pageant mom

Lol best case stemlord and pageant mom

Worst case mom steals her identity and/or frames her for murder

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yeah and that's not what's going on in the post. OP isn't "a smug "I loving love science" type douche against the humanities" when they're happy paying for a cooking elective. They're just a "you're already good at that so it doesn't count" cheapskate.

Hey hey let's just all agree that mom deserves the guillotine

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for sending my sil tiktoks to family group chat causing her an anxiety attack

I really don't quite understand what happened here but in the spirit of 2022 I recommend throwing all of these people in the trash

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My boyfriend is attracted to extremely large breasts, of which I do not have. When asked about it, he said I fall into the ‘love’ category, but not ‘lust,’ due to my breasts being average size. Is it worth continuing the relationship?

Oh, honey, no

To be young and dumb again

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
AITA for donating money in my boyfriend's name for Christmas?

quote:

My (m18) family has a lot of money, but we live very average. We have a two story house with just enough bedrooms for everyone, an art studio in our garage, and a nice entertainment center in our basement. We only go on one vacation a year and it's to visit my parents' families back in France (we live in the US) during summer. My boyfriend's (m18) family does not have enough money to feed everyone or have power half the time.

On birthdays and Christmas time, because my parents have always told my sister and I that we have everything we need so instead of gift giving, we do charity. Sometimes we run meal stands for the homeless people, we donate lots of money and food to areas, ect.

My boyfriend and I have been friends for about two years but this was our first christmas as a couple. He's always known the charity thing and he's always thought it was a great thing. For Christmas, he got me some rings and earrings off Amazon. I gave him a printed out screenshot of the email I got for donating money to a local animal shelter in his name.

He made a face looking at the paper but it was in front of my family so he smiled and said thank you, kissed my cheek, and moved on. I could tell it bothered him, though, so I brought it up a few days later and he told me it didn't have any thought or care to it. I thought it did have a lot of care. He volunteers for animal shelters sometimes and loves animals to death. He constantly talks about adopting a dog when he has his own place.

I was honestly really surprised he was so upset about this as a gift. It's been days now and his texts are dry and usually only a word or two. He "didn't feel up for it" when I asked if we were spending New Years together. I'm worried now I may have made the wrong call. Was it really that insensitive of a gift? How can I make up for it?

Edit: A lot of commenters are saying I should have helped him with the money instead of giving it to charity. My family already helps him all the time. We give him food money for his sister and him all the time. When we found out he sleeps outside a lot, we got rid of our couch in the basement and replaced it with a pull-out so he would always have a place to sleep. I thought getting him something like a gift card for groceries or whatever would be more rude than anything else.

My intention with this as a gift was to show he's apart of the family now, seeing as it is a family tradition. He never expressed any desire for a material gift (or that he was getting me anything) so I assumed he knew/didn't have a preference for a gift. Had he asked, I would have gotten a different gift. I thought it was thoughtful, as it's something important to him while I would have given it to a different organization had it been in my name. (Not that I don't think shelters are important, I'm just trying to get across that I was thinking of him when I picked where to put the money.)

:guillotine:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Hughlander posted:

You heard of sister wives?

AITA for being annoyed at my mom for adopting my ex-wife?

How about sister-ex-wives?

This is loving insane. I can't even imagine this thought process. Bitch, she's already in your life, you don't need to adopt her to leave her all your worldly goods and further psychologically scar your son's psyche

God drat what a hosed up monster

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

limp_cheese posted:

I rrally wanted to hate the spoiled teenager that gets 3 birthdays from her rich parents but god drat am I having a hard time.

Oh there's an easy solution here actually!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

in the spirit of 2022 I recommend throwing all of these people in the trash

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for yelling at a guy for telling me to breastfeed somewhere else???

Fuuuuuck decorum, go nuclear on that dude every time, your partner is an rear end

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I can see not wanting to hang out at a place that has nude art of your girlfriend if you friends are the kind of dudes who'd go "are those your girlfriend's titties, nice, i'm just gonna give a detailed account of my view on her nips," and there's at least one guy like that in this guy's friend group. Maybe it could be a nice learning experience and they realize that not only does everyone have a naked body, they're pretty much interchangable once you've seen more than a few.

This I think is the one possible argument that could be made. 100% the (serious) artists don't get off, and it would be one thing if the artist in this story was just going to turn the art in and then get rid of it or just jam it in a portfolio, but to hang it up where the collective friend group can see is a boundary that i think is legitimate. Obviously the op can make the boundary and it's up to the gf to either maintain it or cross it.

Depending on the circumstances of the painting (small, hung among many others vs huge and prominent) and my friend group (full of pervy aholes?) I could be uncomfortable with the situation.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

sugar free jazz posted:

is that what happened here

I can't go without loving for 6 months so we're going to have to toss monogamy out the window, how did you not see this coming

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

BabyFur Denny posted:

But that's absolutely not what she suggested to her partner.

You and I have incompatible takes on monogamy and I'm going to have to open up this posting relationship

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Boba Pearl posted:

A 20 year old whose DAD JUST loving DIED

Who is only 10 years younger than the square laying out the rules

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
The fact that Paige wants to listen to her trash fire mom shows a remarkable lack of good judgement. Just bail, dude

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Motronic posted:

Math time!

My [28m] wife [20f] told me she dislikes my body and was initially attracted to my 'personality' mostly... she says I am not, and never was, her type

What do you do? You die in a loving fire

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for refusing to coach my half brother due to me and my moms relationship?

Wonder what mom has been telling drake and if drake knows the whole story. I'm betting not. Poor kid.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

wheatpuppy posted:

"He's been dead almost THREE WEEKS now, why isn't she over it yet?!"

Counterpoint that 100% makes me an rear end in a top hat: these people are not her therapist. In a retail environment her coworkers have been saints to do what they've done. She should not be dumping this on people who are also likely barely keeping it together. That's what therapy is for.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

mediaphage posted:

My (22F) boyfriend (29M) is addicted to doritos and its straining our relationship

They didn't start making ritos with cocaine dusting or anything like that, right? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for refusing to pay for mechanic to tighten my wheel?

Caught between an unreliable narrator and potentially rear end in a top hat CYA grifter mechanics

The only winning move is not to play

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for uninviting my stepdad from my wedding so my brothers could come?

You hosed up OP. If you have a stable loving relationship with your step-dad and he's paying for your poo poo and there's no nefarious poo poo like abuse or cheating then you definitely didn't need to prioritize your shithead brothers